By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for The Wright Stuff

Here is a list of all the postings The Wright Stuff has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 2 Stroke deadstick issues
21/05/2018 14:54:33

What about the fuel itself? Is it old? Have you tried a new batch?

Thread: Electricity Pylon Interference?
21/05/2018 14:27:29

I would certainly keep clear of them, but to be honest, I think your main concern is not flying into the pylons and/or cables...

The electric field decreases rapidly with distance, if you are close enough to be worried about interference, you are probably too close, anyway...

Thread: Calculating Washout
17/05/2018 12:24:05

Hmmm. It seems as though the logic that Nigel and Pat endorse holds true. After all, the AoA is the only thing that affects the lift coefficient for any given wing.

However, unless we are calling Jon a liar, I think we have to respect his observations.

Can I propose that the discrepancy is a result of second order effects, usually disregarded by for some reason more sensitive on this particular model? I'm talking about the change in longitudinal dihedral by varying both the relative incidence of the tailplane and wing chord, and also the vertical offset between the centre of lift and centre of mass. additionally, the fuselage itself produces lift, which while sometimes negligible, perhaps can't be ignored in marginal cases such as this...

Thread: Precedent models from the 80, Hi-Boy, Low-Boy and Supernova
16/05/2018 16:12:16
Posted by Nigel R on 16/05/2018 11:55:05:

Ah, Precedent designs. Here's my BiFly 25. Six flights just yesterday.

20180313_123559.jpg

Great fun with the power kept on - glides like a brick, although that makes for nice and steep approaches (even if they are quite fast).

Always aerodynamically sound designs. Sometimes unfortunately saddled with die cut (or was it die crushed) liteply, on airframes that were a bit too small to really work well with it, and often accompanied with, how to describe, not the lightest balsa in the shop.

So they were often a bit porky, but otherwise good models. If you were prepared to replace some of the timber they could turn out rather nicely.

The reported poor flight qualities of their trainers were more down to them being a novice's first build, I think. Nothing wrong with the HiBoy or FlyBoy design.

Weren't the Balsacraft offerings were a bit more "premium" than the Precedent line?

Nigel, what engine have you got in it? The other thing I seem to remember about the Precedent kits is that the instructions were quite optimistic about the minimum size engine. The Bi-Fly 25 instruction manual recommends .19 to .25 c.u. I have a suspicion that may not be enough...

16/05/2018 10:05:05

Well, I don't know if the OP has a particular design in mind, or even if it is hypothetical, but presumably there is more to designing washout than just estimating the change in incidence angle.

Is there a rule of thumb for how far out along the wing should start to twist? Expressed as a percentage of the total wing area, perhaps?

Thread: Can still climb tree's
15/05/2018 13:57:26

The tin opener has just finished the full circle, and the first of the worms is starting to wriggle through the gap!

15/05/2018 12:11:29

Good, interesting question - I doubt there is a short answer but I will lurk and watch with interest.

I would imagine the main consideration would be the planform of the wing. Sweep and taper, mainly.

According to this thread, a good rule of thumb is calculate the root:tip chord ratio and set the degrees of washout to be the same...

p.s. Be careful when googling to see if washout is necessary. Most of my hits were answers to "when do I need an enema?"

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 15/05/2018 12:16:48

15/05/2018 09:08:48
Posted by Don Fry on 14/05/2018 16:53:41:
Don't fall in love with your trainer, it is like falling in love with a hammer. Both are tools for a job. If you ever get good advice in this game, that advice has cost the provider a lot of grief and airframes. Game of blood.

Game of blood? I approach this by starting to build the next plane while I am getting to grips with flying the previous one. That way, it is never my 'latest pride and joy' that is at risk...

Thread: Dead Lipo remedy?
14/05/2018 15:49:21
Posted by MattyB on 14/05/2018 15:30:47:
As a result the less time the cell spends in that state the less likely it is to be permanently damaged to a level it is unusable or unsafe.

Indeed. Logically, the more depleted the charge (i.e. the closer to 0 V the cells become), then the higher the rate of shunt formation and the less time it can be left before permanent damage occurs.

Similarly, if the 2 V threshold is momentarily breached (i.e. the voltage is below this as it comes off load, but then recovers upon cooling to above 2 V), then chances of recovery are higher.

It seems that between the framework of facts and advice, there is a lot of room for interpolation, logic, and common sense...

14/05/2018 15:15:17
Posted by MattyB on 14/05/2018 12:27:21:

Battery University - How to awaken a sleeping Li-ion (Source)

"Do not boost lithium-based batteries back to life that have dwelled below 1.5V/cell for a week or longer.

Interesting.

Read in conjunction with the 'usual' advice which is not to charge a LiPo while it is still hot from recent discharge, this implies there is a 'window' between a few minutes and a few days during which it is acceptable to attempt the resurrection.

If I accidentally over-discharge a LiPo at the field (I think 8% is the lowest I've managed to inadvertently achieve), my gut reaction is to try to immediately charge it back up a bit, as if before it has 'realised' that it has been over-discharged. If it takes up to a week for dendrites to form, then there may be some science behind an early resurrection!

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 14/05/2018 15:16:14

14/05/2018 12:34:50

To push in front of the queue of people waiting to say 'I told you so' and try to offer a technical explanation, would I be right in assuming that it initially flew straight and then suddenly dropped the right wing and lost height? Or did it simply veer right without losing height (i.e. it was always below the level of the tree?)

Wings having slipped in the wing bands, or a stall (as an indirect result of attempting to gain height too quickly) could be explanations.

If it helps, I started with a similar (in my case, 2 channel) glider and successfully taught myself to fly it, so although it's not the recommended route, it is possible.

Having become (by my own assessment) a reasonably experienced intermediate pilot, I recently went back to the original glider, and flew it again. I expected it to be easy, after all - I had since flown fast 4 channel sports models and scale aircraft. It was NOT easy. Part of the difficulty with training aircraft, and particularly gliders like this, is that they are deliberately slow to respond. To give you more time to think. But that means that you flying it (rather than it flying you) is quite a mental challenge to overcome - you really have to stamp authority on it and get it to fly where YOU want it to fly. That, in my experience, is one of the main initially difficulties with teaching yourself.

So it's perfectly possible there is nothing at all wrong with the plane, that due to inexperience you simply didn't have enough authority over it. This is where a computer simulator REALLY helps.

Please get it repaired and in the air again. A club or experienced flier is great, but if you don't want to go that route, it's perfectly understandable, and there are other options. This forum is a great source of advice, so you are already making progress.

Good Luck.

TWS

14/05/2018 11:58:25
Posted by Nigel R on 14/05/2018 11:34:44:

"The newbie paid a LOT more than £13.75 (where did that creep in?)"

So. That looks like around £30 then?

My previous (mostly ignored) comments about the time being worth more than the money notwithstanding, surely logically the relevant cost is the cost to replace it, which is about £15-£18? Regardless of what the original purchase price was...

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 14/05/2018 11:59:03

Thread: Honda Field.
14/05/2018 10:19:13
Posted by ChrisB on 14/05/2018 09:44:52:

Clamp and a £300 release fee!

Sadly, it is a criminal offence to clamp a vehicle, even if it is on your land. It is not illegal to park on private land, merely a civil offence. You'd be the one in court!

No, I don't agree with it either, but that's my understanding!

11/05/2018 15:51:07
Posted by Guvnor on 11/05/2018 13:58:41:

When all the advice from battery manufacturers is to dispose of over-discharged LiPos and occasionally seeing on here the results of conflagrations caused by seemingly 'fine' LiPos bursting in to flames, am I the only one here who thinks this 'kick it with a NiMH charge' is utter lunacy.

I wouldn't have it in my house, nor use it in a model...

Is saving a few quid really worth the risk?

I can sympathise with both points of view here. As far as I can see, it boils down to if you're going to do it, be informed about the relative risks and rewards.

It's not really about the few quid, though, is it? It's about the hassle of buying another, waiting for it to be delivered, getting it from the post office when you inevitably miss the delivery, then changing the connector for the one you actually wanted...

Thread: How to pass the time when charging Lipos?
11/05/2018 13:19:49

I can just imagine the scene. Me busily typing away, the charger's plaintive beeping rings in the background, and

11/05/2018 13:17:17
Posted by Richard Ashworth on 11/05/2018 12:59:50:

Bit worried that nobody so far has said reading or writing Modelflying threads!

I would worry that reading or writing Modelflying threads would be an extremely irresponsible thing to do while charging batteries. It's far too addictive - I think the house would burn down around me before I noticed!

wink

10/05/2018 13:14:38

What do you do at home while waiting for your LiPos to charge?

Just curious as to if anyone has found a truly worthwhile use of the time it takes for LiPos to charge. Now, I know they are not to be left unattended, which I suppose requires a better definition of 'attended'. I doubt that we all hover over them, staring at them intently for the entire duration of the charge cycle. So being in the same room (within audible range and within a few seconds of being able to switch them off) suffices, I assume.

I'm not currently lucky enough to have a model build on the go, and I don't do ironing!

Suggestions, serious or fun, gratefully accepted here!!!

10/05/2018 13:02:51

This LiPo's not pinin'! It's passed on!

This LiPo is no more! It has ceased to be!

It's expired and gone to meet its maker!

It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace!

It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off its mortal coil.

THIS IS AN EX-LiPo!

Thread: SWIMBO of the month
09/05/2018 08:56:26

Ha ha.

Look on the bright side. At least it was a wee Peugeot and not a Passat Estate!

Thread: ESC only working with throttle trim fully down
08/05/2018 15:26:48

Hi Peter,

it sounds as if the throttle calibration (stored in the ESC) has drifted a little. The ESC isn't arming because the throttle won't go low enough to register as closed: a safety feature of the ESC.

I've seen this, and I'm not absolutely sure why it happens: high temperatures, perhaps?

The solution is to reteach the ESC the throttle range. I'm not familiar with your particular ESC but it should have programming instructions. It usually involves starting the ESC with the throttle stick at the top to enter programming mode...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues