By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for onetenor

Here is a list of all the postings onetenor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chris's Bella Ballerina HD
25/02/2017 22:03:28

If my Granddad heard some one finisg a job with the words"That'll do " he would say "That'll do won't do in this shop." meaning it's right or not so get it right .

Thread: new home for paw
22/02/2017 12:10:41

Split the difference ? £12.50 Or £15 if you pay postage ?

Thread: Tip stall avoidance question.
22/02/2017 05:32:01

Back in the 50 s I built a novelty plane called Arabian Knight which was basically a rectangle with a motor stuck on the front a fin at the back and a built in reflex section from f wallront to rear with no dihedral. Wether I was lucky or it was in the design but it just would not stall. It would wallow and mush then just dip it's nose and pick up again.. It was meant to represent a magic carpet which it looked like it was flapping when it " STALLED " which as I said never really became one. It was an Aeromodeller plan which is still available from the zone or Traplet or similar. Not sure which but I have seen it on one of them.A lot of fun F/F but some have been R.C 'd Not sure which way it has been done though No real glide though LOL

21/02/2017 18:26:56
Posted by David Mellor on 20/02/2017 17:16:49:

This probably isn't terribly relevant, but may be of general interest anyway.

There is a class of flying wing that cannot tip stall under any circumstances, essentially because it has no tips in the conventional sense. This is the disc wing.

They have other bizarre characteristics too, such as no stall at all up to 45 degree AoA. If thrust-to-weight is unity (or higher) then transition from 45 degrees to vertical is smooth, without stall and can be at near zero forward speed.

The US aerodynamicist Charles Zimmerman designed the Chance-Vaught V-173 for high alpha/slow landing and take off on US aircraft carriers. Worked well in tests, but was superseded by emerging jet technology, even though disc wings can fly very fast at normal AoA.

Modern RC versions of disc wings abound - and are huge fun as they are dead simple to make and dead easy to fly at less than walking speed and even slowly backwards. To name just 2, google "RCGroups Nutball" and "RCGroups UFO-AP". Not everyone's cup of tea, for sure, but massive fun! Some are highly aerobatic and still cannot stall - for example the PiYak. All made quickly and simply in Depron.

Oh..... nearly forgot. The other factor affecting tip stalling is wing loading. Because RC disc wings are just about the lightest loaded of any RC plane (typically with cubic wing loadings well under 3 ounces per cubic foot) they don't even stall at low alpha low speed!

Dave cubic inch wing loading ? Wassat

Thread: Paint match for red solartex?
21/02/2017 15:17:14

Take a bit of film to any supplier with the DULUX mix 'n match service and they will mix a test pot which should be enough for the job

Thread: new home for paw
20/02/2017 13:11:47

Will you take a tenner if I take the chance ??

Thread: DH87B Hornet Moth
20/02/2017 12:53:36

Very nice but to save a bit more weight cut a triangle out of the bellcrank leaving an L shape .A bellcrank does not need to be a triangle./Not a big saving but some which at this size every little helps

Thread: Kit builders, what would you like???
15/02/2017 22:06:31

If you want to be purist repaint the underside the correct shade .Yours is close but no right. The official colour is known as Sky type S and is damned hard to get right.Very nice build though well done

15/02/2017 22:06:29

If you want to be purist repaint the underside the correct shade .Yours is close but no right. The official colour is known as Sky type S and is damned hard to get right.Very nice build though well done

Thread: Which plane + transmitter for me and my lad please?
15/02/2017 20:49:39

Have a look at Gear Best Or Bang Good

Thread: All helicopters can not be this bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!
15/02/2017 20:24:42

Bang Good sell bags with selections of gears Really good value

Thread: Rawlplugs/well nuts - what size?
12/02/2017 08:58:43

Can you explain what nuts you mean Tore

12/02/2017 08:38:45
Posted by McG 6969 on 08/02/2017 20:10:48:

Apprentice Chris back to report progress, Sir(s).

- Port aileron lightly sanded after glassing was cured and some Sauce applied.

- Starboard aileron sanded both sides & primed top side with foam-friendly white spray can primer & left to dry.

- Port aileron's Sauce sanded & primed top side (cfr above spray can) & left to dry.

- Starboard aileron primed bottom side (cfr above spray can again) & left to dry (again).

- Port aileron sanded & primed bottom side (cfr above spray can which seems to be nearly empty already).

- Tried to retrieve my breath for multiple hours as this was done indoors in a improvised spray booth being a large carton box... no

- Started to prime the main wing bottom - outdoors this time & with a new rattle can - when it started to lightly rain after a very short while. I will have to sand that one back again... frown

Why do I start to hate rattle cans?

Matata (again)

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Lack of Spray Can Control

Chris please use a proper mask when spraying.Those vapours can kill

12/02/2017 08:14:21

Thanks Chris Fred's Sauce is like mine.I also use dilute Celly to add the talc to..Clear or coloured but you can't use this mix on most foams

Thread: Rib profile delta wing ?
12/02/2017 02:05:30

More importantly I feel a reflex section should be used. More stability and cuts down tip stalling.If you overdo it you can get an undulating flight .A bit like a butterfly sometimes Experiment with some little all balsa chuckies and some blue tack and washers You'll find a flat plate is as good as any section for the most part

#

12/02/2017 02:05:29

More importantly I feel a reflex section should be used. More stability and cuts down tip stalling.If you overdo it you can get an undulating flight .A bit like a butterfly sometimes Experiment with some little all balsa chuckies and some blue tack and washers You'll find a flat plate is as good as any section for the most part

#

Thread: Cutting sheet balsa into strips
04/02/2017 03:08:39
Posted by Percy Verance on 09/01/2017 22:05:20:

The Proxxon will cut 1/4 ply if you go carefully Christopher. On balsa it's an absolute dream to use, and will, when set up nicely, provide a convenient way to strip those too hard sheets of balsa you always find left in the LMS. They're usually perfect for wing spars and longerons......

I use a scroll saw and straight edge

Thread: printing a prop
04/02/2017 00:57:40
Posted by MattyB on 30/01/2017 15:22:31:

I certainly hope not! I'm not against 3D printing - it's fantastic tech for us modellers used in the right places - but please place this idea in the bin. The very idea of being anywhere near a 3D printed prop as it spools up makes me shudder...

Edited By MattyB on 30/01/2017 15:29:30

Might be ok for rubber

03/02/2017 21:57:00

Chris Remind me please what is FRED'S SAUCE ?

Thread: Painting gone wrong
02/02/2017 06:12:13

WARM not Hot is the answer

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Overlander
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What's the main radio brand you use? (2017)
Q: What's the main radio brand you use?

FrSky
 Turnigy
 Multiplex
 Hitec
 Futaba
 JR
 Spektrum
 Graupner
 Jeti
 Other

Latest Reviews