By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ace

Here is a list of all the postings Ace has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 4,6 v 6v receiver batteries
19/02/2018 16:17:08

This may help from a few days ago.

**LINK**

Thread: Not so ordinary indoor planes.
15/02/2018 08:45:32

Great to see the unusual with a huge splash of fun thrown in - excellent.

Thread: Best given the right of way
10/02/2018 10:37:36

"out to kill you" wildlife that I saw were a few bad-tempered kangaroos.

John P - Its the wildlife you don't see that does the damage wink

I am from WA and on returning after each visit to the folks, it takes me weeks to stop taping my shoes before putting them on and to this day I can't step over a log, always on nor put my hand in a dark opening unless I can see into it.

Box Jellyfish probably kill more people than Sharks, Saltwater crocodiles and all the other water nasties put together.

Seen plenty back home but closest in Uk was an Adder under my jacket while resting at a checkpoint in an Enduro at Dalby Forest/ North York Moors. Gave me an initial shock but stepped back and it ambled away.

Thread: 4.8 v or 6 v receiver battery
10/02/2018 09:26:18

I use Spektrum and have many models on 4.8v (2600 NiMh) which of course start at 5.2/5.5v when fully charged without any issues. Mixture of Spektrum, Lemon, Redcon & iRangeX receivers. Admittedly they all use 3-5 std or smaller servos. My 63" hack has 5 servos and runs on a 6v sub c 3300 purely for duration. The additional speed and power from 6v AAA / AA I understand comes at a price, in that they draw more giving reduced duration assuming of the same capacity. Once over 5 std servos then its either sub c or 3.0 LiFe for me. From experience I have never been able to drag down a NiMh 4.8v sub c in any aircraft using 5 std servos.

IIRC don't Eneloops / Instants because of their chemistry struggle to deliver the same current when loaded as a NiMh? If so then that is a good case for using 5 cell if using these.

Thread: Hinge pins
09/02/2018 15:29:02

How about breaking the plastic off map pins?

The squat broad plastic ones.

Thread: Good Stands for the Club
05/02/2018 18:42:40

+1 for the safety bench - our club has 2 and they are excellent. yes

We have added a small angled shelf on one side to rest your TX on and make sure the carpeted uprights are tall enough to take high wingers.

Ace

Thread: Rob's Grumpy Tigercub build
29/01/2018 13:43:21

Rob, put a drop of water on or better in with a syringe and then dry with your covering iron - should lift the ding out.

Thread: 2018 Mass Build Sign up Thread
24/01/2018 18:09:18

Just a marker to show that as one of the original voters for the GTC I have made a start.

Ribs cut 2 at a time buy tacking 2 sheets of balsa together with a glue stick (5 for £1 at pound shop) then sticking the photocopied ribs on. As the nacelles needed 4 balsa and 4 ply I made a 3mm MDF template to ensure they were all identical.

As mine will be almost standard except for twin aileron servos with the possibility that I may add flaps. I won't be doing a log as it will be just duplication.

Head says electric but my heart says IC and as this is effectively a trainer for one of Richards BF110 Warbirds (2 x .61 ASP) which is sat waiting in the box, it has to be IC with a pair if SC .15's.

gtc wing bits.jpg

Thread: Pickup truck front wheel
24/01/2018 07:57:55

A few years ago but still yes.

Before landing the pilot found that its front wheel got stuck and didn't come down while landing. So when he informed the control tower who planned to keep a truck in the place of front wheel, but the problem is while the front portion of plane falls on the truck it should not shake, and the other important point is that the speed of the plane and the speed of the truck must be same, otherwise the plane could slip down and cause an accident But one driver came forward to do this and he did accurately and saved all the passengers in the plane. Now you can enjoy the video.

**LINK**

Ok I believe it was a publicity stunt but done very well

Edited By Ace on 24/01/2018 08:10:12

Thread: Harrier Jump Jet- The aeromodelling Holy Grail !!!!
21/01/2018 09:05:16

"Awesome" doesn't do the achievement justice.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
17/01/2018 18:26:11

"I would be interested to know if you’ve tested this fuel?"

Ron - a quick search back will highlight quite a previous debate on Prosynth in Lasers with IIRC Jon expressing quite a strong view. wink

Thread: Making glossy film covering less glossy
17/01/2018 18:05:19

The area I have previously tested on which is usually out of site, is the wing area facing the inside of the fuz.

As Simon mentioned make sure you mask off well to prevent any overspray.

Thread: Cleaning gummed up Castor oil residues from engines
23/12/2017 11:11:42

Used boiling antifreeze a number of times and :-

A - Works really well

B - Toxic (outdoors only)

C - Stinks

D - now have very clean "silver" Irvine 53's

Thread: Christmas Caption Competition!
23/12/2017 08:18:41

New poster for "Gimbals R Us"

Thread: NEW POLL - Does your club welcome multirotor flying?
22/12/2017 17:54:53

We are a fixed wing club with a single 60m TO/L circle, with no dedicated multi/Heli members. However if an existing member wanted to have a go its only by consent of those present.

Thread: Filler for balsa/woods
21/12/2017 09:53:17

As Jon mentioned - Polycell, "Advanced quick drying Polyfilla." And yes it does feel empty when you pick it up.

You can even mix in a little water based acrylic brown to tint it balsa in small batches.

Thread: Second oldest trick
17/12/2017 13:13:29

His skill is superb but its his banter that makes it great. yes

Thread: The 'DogFighters' Club
16/12/2017 09:10:09

"WoW" skeleton airframe in 3 hours- even if it took a day is quick - like it yes

Thread: 2018 Mass Build Sign up Thread
15/12/2017 20:07:56

Cheers Tim for the reassurance. I could probably give most a good run in who has the most tools wins competition - its time that is in short supply and a short cut is always welcome if available.

My fav tool is a bench combi disc/belt sander.

Thread: Grumpy Tiger Cub by John.
15/12/2017 19:54:44

I know "cut " was a figure of speech but for clarity, just lift the plastic tab and remove the red wire from one esc plug and tape it back. You can then replace it later and use the esc as normal in another model enlightened

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues