By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ace

Here is a list of all the postings Ace has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fuel Proofer ?
08/12/2017 17:19:02

2w - curious as to why you want to fuel proof the whole aircraft? Have you painted the whole airframe and need to protect it?

Only if you have used film or coloured solartex they are fuel proof, although tex can sometimes get grubby.

Another for clearcoat around the engine/tank and any other exposed wood such as wing seat etc.

Edited By Ace on 08/12/2017 17:20:07

Thread: Wish to use 12v dc charger for lipos and Nimh at home on mains supply
08/12/2017 16:16:19

+1 yes

Some work required and IIRC will put out up to 50 amps at a regulated 12v? - but worth the effort.

Overkill but powers my 1m hot wire cutter through a brushed esc and servo tester.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
07/12/2017 19:03:47

Not in the same league but here's my 40" effort.

waco 2.jpg

Thread: Twin power set ups
07/12/2017 18:48:19

Within reason 2 mid sized engines/motors generate more power than 1 large engine. Therefore total capacity or watts can be lower for the same performance. 2 engines/motors with a combined total of 15% less than a single engine/motor will deliver similar or marginally better performance - in my view. I doubt this level of power will sustain level on one engine, so we are now into cut and glide or controlled powered decent.

However if you want to actually fly on one engine (as opposed to a slow controlled decent) you are going to require 50%+ per engine/motor (due to extra yaw drag) compared to a single engine/motor to sustain flight. Working on the assumption level flight requires 50% of one single.

My 2 cents worth - Australian not Euro wink

Jon I know it was just a point but the swept area of a 12 x 7 is 113 sq in, so the 150 would need to swing a 18 x 7 to be equal cheeky

Thread: Parallel Charging
05/12/2017 16:10:18

Personally I have 3 and one is shot the other two are ok if I don't push them but have never been that impressed - however they were cheap so the jury's out regarding value for money.

One old member had a couple of Dynamics but they failed after 1yr (and pre parallel charging). These were a mixture of HI-Energy and Overlander Red/Blue. All were 2yrs old and had about the same level of use, so may be not surprising they failed together.

One has replaced with more Overlander Blue, the other with a obscure brand of Fleabay at £12 for 2. Be interesting to see how they compare regarding value for money vs use???

I am trying the Zippy compact 60c 2.2 3&4s and so far they seem ok.

05/12/2017 13:30:27

Cheers Denis, Matty.

I don't believe they gave them a hard time in either discharge rate or to deeply. Laid back stogging around with Riots, Mamsells and electric gliders is their style. They did charge them after a session then possible kept them a few weeks waiting for the next weather break before using. But we are talking weeks not months.

They were bought a couple of years ago and were the same make, so may be they were just unlucky and it was their time crying

Thanks Ace

05/12/2017 10:31:44

Although a diehard IC man I do have some 2.2 3s batteries I parallel charge without issue - I love it yes I do however only connect 3 x 2.2 to a 7a charger and connect the power cables only to the board for a few minutes, to balance the cells out before connecting the balance plugs and charging. I therefore get a 1c charge.

A couple of older club members who adopted parallel charging before me have recently had 5/6 batteries each all developed high internal resistance resulting in only delivering/ accepting 500mha from 2.2 batteries + puffing. On questioning neither connected just the power leads for a few minutes first, to balance and both connected 6 x 2.2 3s to 5a chargers meaning they only charged at 0.37c.

Question - (Power lead balance first obviously) However will the 0.37c charge rate have contributed to the mass fail or are they just unlucky?

Thread: 2018 Mass Build Sign up Thread
01/12/2017 12:14:51

Grumpy Tiger plans ordered from Sarik on Monday delivered Friday yes

2 folded sheets, quality paper with good sharp printing.

Now ASP15's or Elec + retracts - decisions, decisionssecret

Thread: Warbird Replica Spitfire MKix
01/12/2017 08:02:05

Martian, go for it yes

I like others like to see how they tackle the various challenges that present themselves as everyone incorporates personal preferences or ways of tackling a particular problem. I don't have the Spitfire but do have 3 other of Richards kits in waiting so - yes please smiley

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
29/11/2017 08:27:45

Liberator - At nearly 19,000 units, with over 8,000 manufactured by Ford Motor Company, it holds records as the world's most produced: bomber; heavy bomber; multi-engine aircraft; and American military aircraft in history.

Total Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress variants - 12,731

Thread: 2018 Mass Build Sign up Thread
27/11/2017 18:33:23

Grumpy Tiger - Plans ordered

Ace

Thread: Looking for a ARTF Trainer - non-foam
27/11/2017 18:10:51

+1 for the Irvine Tutor 40 - if you can find one, as I see Ripmax don't list it on their website anymore crying

For the reasons Ian mentions I personally find it a great trainer to teach with. If not available then I would also recommend looking at a semi symmetrical wing which certainly enables a more spirited flight repertoire to move your skill set on.

Thread: Black Friday deals
24/11/2017 19:03:39

Pete W, Not sure you are correct winkas I bought a Skipper reduced by £20 from the EU warehouse earlier in the week. £20 off + free shipping could not resist. However when checking out via PP it kept adding on £5.92. Bought it anyway then contacted HK via web chat and credit promptly followed. This was followed by a very apologetic email for their error and included a 10% voucher for my trouble.

Yes a pain that checkout did not work as advertised but can't fault their speed in righting the over payment and a complementary 10% off next order which they offered un prompted. yes

Thread: Mirus
24/11/2017 08:07:59

TT, Manyroad recently did an updated version with a build blog on here if it helps.- **LINK**

Ace

Thread: TorqPro TP70-FS 70cc Gas Engine
21/11/2017 23:29:22

I guess being very over square at:- bore 50mm, stroke 36mm. probably explains why it likes to rev, not dissimilar to a Laser 120 compared to the 100. Obviously not comparing quality just short and long stroke characteristics wink

Other than AndyD has anyone else any experience of ownership good or bad?

21/11/2017 22:07:49

Jon, not many actual videos but the RCCanada lads refer to spinning a 2 blade 24 x 10 @ 6500 and a VESS 24 x 10 at 6600 which are likely to be nearer the mark than the official 6800 on a 24 x 10.

21/11/2017 17:48:22

Found another old thread under "70 4 stroke" from a year ago with a bit more background info.**LINK**

Ace

21/11/2017 13:50:56

Cheers Flight1, I look forward to hearing your thoughts once fired up.

To say its been around for a couple of years the above plus a few other thoughts from over the pond , there is a distinct lack of feedback. As you say "no bad news is a good sign as bad news travels fast" The only negatives I could find is one person complaining of it leaking oil through a damaged gasket face and another that a valve seat came out on an early model. He then went on to mention that it had been redesigned in the replacement head.

Where is "Jon" for his thoughts and observations when you need him.

Very Tempted.

21/11/2017 10:35:39

Thinking of putting one in a Don Smith 86" Nakajima Ki84. **LINK**

However they have been around for a couple of years but can't seem to find much feedback from owners on whether value for money or a dog.

For the price you are never going to get a Kolm but that's what people said of DLE compared to DA and I have nothing but praise for my DLE 30 & 50. = 95% for 50% cost yes

So does anyone own one and what experience, are we talking DLE or MDS ?

Thanks Ace

Thread: 2018 Mass Build - Voting Thread
14/11/2017 08:43:06

1 Grumpy Tiger Cub

2 Chilli Breeze

3 Holi

Will probably build the Grumpy or American Nightmare which are both very similar as I really fancy a small twin before tackling Richards 72" BF110 kit I am sitting on (not literally) smiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues