By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Concorde Speedbird

Here is a list of all the postings Concorde Speedbird has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Timís Grumpy Tigercub
21/02/2018 22:52:22

Superb, looks just like a Tigercat!

Thread: Swift 82
21/02/2018 22:50:02

Cymaz is wise...

235.jpg

The baffle isn't finished yet. I think I will take the cowl off before I put the underside pieces on and finish the baffle. I will also provide a generous outlet area for I do not want cooling issues.

236.jpg

The side piece on:

237.jpg

Engine looking snug:

238.jpg

And the other side

239.jpg

It all looks very agricultural currently, but that will change...

20/02/2018 22:34:50
Posted by cymaz on 20/02/2018 06:47:34:

Interesting well done. I you thought about how it might fly? Short moment arm ,large fin and elevator. Keep that in mind when setting up the throws and for the maiden. Good luck

High manoeuvrability! Thank you very much. I've thought a lot about it and with the Taranis I have a lot of flexibility with multiple control rates and exponential, so I can set it up with small throws initially and work from there. The aim was to have something which can do impressive tumbling manoeuvres etc. rather than a precision aerobat, hence the design choices.

Some cowl work, first the engine on:

228.jpg

Then the cowl mounting blocks with screw holes in. Not asymmetry of the blocks because the cooling air exit hole is to be directly behind the engine for effective cooling.

229.jpg This is to make the spinner gap, and my idea for holding it in place with pins:

230.jpg

Then I realised I had forgotten the cowl front! This will be shaped and the cooling holes similar to a full size aeroplane cut (although I might blank the non-engine side one).

231.jpg

First piece, note hole for mixture control needle:

232.jpg

And glued onto the front, screwed to the mounting block (it will have a thin ply plate for the screwhead to sit on).

233.jpg

234.jpg

So I need to work around to build up the rest of the cowl and then a huge amount of shaping.

19/02/2018 22:57:27

Thank you very much BEB. Yes, it inevitably seems to occur at some point and I have bled on all my aeroplanes so far, must help in some way!

Good evening all, just some shaping and an additional lip over the 'instrument panel'. Note the slots for the canopy.

226.jpg

The canopy sits well considering I found it in the corner of a model shop, but not perfectly. It will be fine to glue on though with a bit of bending (and tape to hold it), once I have covered the fuselage and painted the cockpit area.

227.jpg

Just the cowl to go and a final sand before covering!

18/02/2018 19:37:17

Thank you, simple built up cowl sanded to shape, but it will be removable.

Slow but consistent progress. Elevator joiner from piano wire and a small piece of balsa as a form of fairing.

221.jpg

Strengthening cocktail sticks that I found at a bar. These help hold the balance tabs on (inside would be better but they are sufficiently strong now).

222.jpg

I like to attach the tail wheel to the rudder with a rubber band, so any shock loads don't either break the rudder or overload the servo. This needs to be cut down, but here is the hook:

223.jpg

And a notch to allow the tail wheel to rotate independently of the rudder when the rubber band is stretched.

224.jpg

Finally, I glued and partially shaped the cockpit sides. These need some precise filing and sanding so the canopy fits well- once they are stuck.

225.jpg

I also did a lot of sanding. I will try to get the cockpit sides done tomorrow, then I will do the cowl, some other bits and pieces and covering can occur.

16/02/2018 17:51:44

Rudder done, decided to take some pictures

217.jpg

218.jpg

219.jpg

220.jpg

14/02/2018 22:48:05

Late night building session!

Elevator balance tabs and piano wire connector. The tabs look a bit thin on their own, but look fine on the tailplane and this is how the Giles has it. I'm also going to strengthen the join to the elevators.

211.jpg

Rudder build: Sheet 1

212.jpg

Frame:

213.jpg

Horn material:

214.jpg

And sheet 2:

dsc_0272.jpg

Balance tab to be added. Might mass balance these controls too as they are quite large.

Thread: Ferocious Frankie- Brian Taylor P-51
13/02/2018 21:29:05

Thank you very much Bob, that is brilliant! I'll give that a go when I get onto the doors.

Rig building time. Note that the workmanship is not to usual standards because I used whatever scrap I could and it doesn't need to be for the purpose it is being built for.

rr006.jpg

Tracing of the plan:

rr008.jpg

And the build

rr009.jpg

rr010.jpg

rr011.jpg

rr013.jpg

It is too far to the right in this picture. Already it can be seen that rib 4 will need to be cut for the motor and rib 5 changed to mount the bearers in a better position, but it looks reasonable. Next is to mount the rig at the correct dihedral and incidence angle, but it was getting cold!

13/02/2018 21:22:45

Elevator work:

209.jpg

And hinged- still awaiting balance tabs. Moved onto some Mustang work, but more on this tomorrow.

210.jpg

13/02/2018 17:13:39

Sorry just got back from work.

Trevor- Yes I was aware- I may be able to do it through programming on my Taranis transmitter which could be interesting, if not then I will get a sequencer. Thanks a lot!

Cheers Jon!

Phil- They are from Century Jet in the States (got to have some American-ness in it I suppose!). Company doesn't have the best reputation but I am pleased with these retracts- I also had them custom modified for the leg position and pintle angle.

Danny- Great to have you on board, please point out all my errors so I can rectify them! Cheers

Martyn- thanks, it is a D so bubble canopy.

Thanks Martian!

Denis, he does do a good job doesn't he?! There are loads of videos on youtube of aeroplanes with sound systems to replicate the full size engine sound, it's worth a look!

I shall get some more done on the rig after dinner, back later.

12/02/2018 22:47:07

That suits me well anyway since I have the wing to build. Hope everything goes as smoothly as possible, my 80 has been perfect since you fixed the glider tow string ingestion, thank you very much!

12/02/2018 22:17:57

Thanks Jon, hopefully a nice Laser 120 comes in stock fairly soon!

That's very nice of you Shane, do you have any pictures of your Mustang to share? Hope you enjoy following along!

Started on the retract test rig. I only need the area from the centre to the outermost mount of the retract bearer in front of the spar, and only one side too. .

Firstly, an MDF board. The 'wing' will be attached to this upside down at the dihedral angle, so the leg can easily be mounted with the correct stance.

rr001.jpg

Some of the laser cut ribs can be used in the rig because they will need re-fabricating once I decide the new bearer position. Others are re-cut, as shown below. Not the finest cutting but it's fine for the rig (the laser cutting is beautiful).

rr002.jpg

The lower three will be used in the rig and modified for the actual wing.

rr003.jpg

What I have so far, not a lot done because the Swift is priority one currently.

rr004.jpg

I got one of the units out and in real life it looks better than I thought (woo!) to get them in the right place. Hopefully I will get some structure built tomorrow so we can start pondering what the situation is. I'm confident that with the rig I can devise a solution which looks like the real thing with both gear up and gear down. I can also test the doors when I get around to doing that with the rig too.

Jacob

12/02/2018 21:57:10

Elevators, pretty simple. Not tapered or anything fancy, mainly because it is easier to keep them straight.

205.jpg

Two extra bits for hinge material:

206.jpg

Top skins:

207.jpg

Here is the wing centre section by the way:

208.jpg

Rudder, balance tabs on elevators, cockpit area, cowl and a good sand before covering. Weekend was written off by a cold unfortunately.

11/02/2018 20:58:03

This post will be quite dull, it is mainly so I have it on record.

The first challenge I am investigating is the undercarriage. My retracts have the correct leg length and pintle angle, but the retraction angle looks like it is 90 degrees rather than the correct 86 degrees. However, I believe I can make it work without modifying the units.

The extra 4 degrees yields an extra 6.7mm arc length of retraction at the centre of the wheel. By retaining the correct angle with wheels down (perpendicular to the runway) this means the wheels go 6.7mm too far into the well when compared with what it should be. However, if this clashes with the well, I can lower the whole unit by 5 or 6mm and still remain completely in the wing when retracted, because the Mustang retract hinge line is set quite high in the wing. It's a cheat, but it would be nigh-on impossible to notice unless I was stupid and posted on the internet that I was going to cheat... I can still make the undercarriage leg doors work too because they are separately hinged and attached to the legs with sprung telescopic mounts, so the doors can sit flush despite the legs moving a tad more.

I'll make a test rig using scrap wood cut to the same dimensions as the wing to determine the best position I can put the bearers before building the wing. This way I will know what I am doing when building the wing. Hopefully I am correct and this will work!

Told you it would be boring... I'll start on the test rig and get some pictures tomorrow.

09/02/2018 20:51:38

This could be a long one...

I've done a blindfold-scale Spitfire and I decided to do a Mustang next, preferably larger and more accurate. The Brian Taylor plan depicts a fairly complicated but very accurate model, and it is the latter that has drawn me to it. I got the plans (2 sets) and parts from Sarik.

Subject is Ferocious Frankie because I used to see it frequently when growing up in Suffolk (annoyingly the aeroplane has just moved to Turkey, would have liked to get more pictures of it). I'm going to do the best I can and see how much detail I can (or can be bothered) to add. If it goes really well, who knows, I may even enter some stand off competitions. But that is not the current plan.

I'm not starting until the Swift is done, but that won't be long and I thought an early open would stem some discussion.

Anyway, pictures:

pb1.jpg

Retracts are from the USA (rather apt) because Unitracts seem to have disappeared. Tested them and they work well. The legs sit in the scale position, but the mounts need to be redesigned to take these. Annoyingly the motors will be visible in the wheel wells, first scale blemish!

pb2.jpg

Looking forwards to getting this build underway, I shall start with the wing first. The main undercarriage with separately hinged doors and hiding the aileron actuators are the first couple of challenges!

Jacob

08/02/2018 20:51:47

Sides sanded and central support added.

202.jpg

Central former added (1/16 for lightness).

203.jpg

And the last bit of fuselage sheeting... on the wing.

204.jpg

08/02/2018 18:49:07

Some more pre-dinner work

I attached the aft former. Cleverly, I didn't cut the curve making it much more difficult and precarious to match the shape...

200.jpg

That's picture 200 by the way (there are fewer in the album because I haven't uploaded some).

I then shaped it, which wasn't too bad.

201.jpg

Very much full span ailerons! The red stains are blood (don't worry it wasn't a bad cut).

More this evening if I can be bothered (got a stupid cold).

Jacob

Thread: WOT4 Becomes Racing Car
08/02/2018 13:06:21

I've noticed with my Taranis that if you don't set rates on all positions of a three position switch, then one position cuts off all control from that channel. Not suggesting this is the case, but it is an important point with open source Tx's.

So you had sufficient airspeed (presumably) but insufficient angle of attack to fly. Wot 4s have slightly semi-symmetrical wing sections which suggests there may have been a slight bit of down elevator/pitch down. My Wot 4s have always got off the ground incredibly quickly, further providing evidence of this.

Ground conditions- grass length, dampness- make a huge difference I have noticed, as others have mentioned.

Is the thrustline correct?

I am not sure just the C of G moving slightly forwards could create enough stability in pitch to remove all the pitch authority, presuming you run quite high rates like I do on Foss aeroplanes, and I would have thought a nose over would occur is the C of G was this far forwards.

Could you see if the elevator was responding during the take off roll? I often glance it when I take off.

Jacob

07/02/2018 22:02:21

Only one picture today. The under fuselage section underneath the wing is quite a complicated part, so I am taking it slowly. Should get it done tomorrow.

199.jpg

Thread: Solarfilm
06/02/2018 22:46:09

Just ordered some Solartex, trim and clearcoat for the last time. The standard solarfilm would sag over time and temperature but I really liked the supershrink polyester, and obviously solartex is excellent.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues