By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Dance 1

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Dance 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unexpected response
21/11/2017 17:18:09

I bought my first Permagrit tool not long after the business started (mid 80;s?), following a club talk by Ian Richardson It was a 300 mm block. Still going strong despite much use and not all of it on balsa and associated materials. It's not as sharp now as another block I bought 3 or 4 years ago. My most recent purchase was last year when I visited the LAA rally at Sywell, where PG had a stand, apparently the full size home builders like them too.

Thread: The Universe Belongs to Me!
15/11/2017 14:56:20

Seems perfectly reasonable to me, after all Kodak hold the copywrite on Kodak Yellow and I believe BP have rights on the particular shade of green they use. I suspect UPS might come unstuck if they tried to control the use of 'brown' as a colour, especially as there is quite a lot of brown substances which might be thrown at them.smiley

Thread: 2018 Mass Build - Voting Thread
14/11/2017 08:38:16

My choice for MB18.

1.PM Dalotel/CAP20/CAP21 Because I have a Cap 20 part kit

2. Flea Fli (60% scale model of a Kwik fli), because I have the plan

3. Ghost Rider 50 again because I have the original plan

Thread: The 2018 Mass Build Ideas thread
14/11/2017 08:32:28

Well I finished my Skywriter some weeks ago but as my camera went into hiding at about the time I was covering it sadly no photos of that stage. Good news, my camera has come out of hiding so I will post pictures of the finished model soon. As to why there was a small take up of this model? It's a biplane, so twice as many wings to build. Now I quite like building wings so that didn't put me off and besides that I hadn't built a bipe for some years. Other attractions I like stringered fuselages so I was up for the build, but not every ones cup of tea. As for this years list on which I will vote as soon as I've posted this drivel! My first choice will be PM's Cap 20, why? I've had a part kit for a couple of years so its about time it was built. I also like Peter's designs, my hanger contains a Ballerina, last years MB, a Fournier RF4 and a Baby OO-TIT.. Second choice will be a a Flea fli. Why, because i built one in the '70s, great flyer even with the standard servos and Rx of the time. I keep threatening to build it again with modern light weight gear, and I still have the plan I built the original one from! Third Ghost Rider in this case the original '50' Again built it originally in the late 60's fitted with home built RCM&E galloping ghost gear, model flew well, might be tempted to build a 2.4Ghz GG emulation outfit and again I still have the original plan! How sad is that? If none of those designs are chosen then I shall go off in a huffsmiley and build a Spook 96 again because I have the Belair kit and a very nice open rocker OS 60 fs.

So for me the choice whether I join the mass build is down to whether I like the chosen model and what resources I already have to keep the cost to some sort of reasonable bounds.

Whether a 'themed' mass build will work better? probably providing the theme fits reasonably within peoples 'bucket list' of models to build. Should it encourage new builders? Yes but that might restrict the choice to trainers and intermediate aerobatic models of simple construction, where perhaps the MB should encourage participants to extend there building skills.

Time will tell.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
06/11/2017 16:32:49

Well it is in excellent condition even the plan and instructions are in the original German.However the tube of glue is probably dry so a discount may be in order perhaps a 99% discount would be appropriate.

Thread: new workshop
28/10/2017 17:56:42

It goes without saying that paying attention to the roof will have the greatest effect. My 27' X 9' shed has the roof lined with a flooring grade of polystyrene foam, whilst the wall are lined with loft insulation then covered in 6mm MDF. The whole edifice is heated by a 2Kw convection heater which is 30 odd years old. The shed is warm and dry and here in the south is rarely on all the time except in very cold weather The floor is cement screed over a DPM .This is topped with a rubber mat of the sort used in stables. Don't choose the ribbed/grooved style like I did its a b******* to clean! I have a nice cosy retreat.

Thread: Where can I get a Merco 61 mk 11 Silencer?
28/10/2017 17:46:19

I know it's an obvious thing to say but keep an eye on ebay, one came up recently. ATM there is a nice looking example of a Mk4 61 complete with said dustbin silencer £16 at the moment.

Thread: Dremel tools
23/10/2017 07:45:06

Sorry to pour cold water on the Dremel love in. I bought a mains powered one 3000 IRC from the Dremel stand at a major tool show, it came with a range of accessories at a good price. BUT it vibrated quite badly, but not enough to warrant returning it. This was five years ago. It failed after three years. I sourced with great difficulty replacement switch and brushes, but the fault was the main commutator, very expensive. So I dug out my very old B&D version of the tool and discovered that all the Dremel accessories fitted and it didn't vibrate. I will say all the accessories are well made and work well.

Thread: Large Model of a - Flair Pupeteer
22/10/2017 22:14:53

Clearly an antique dealer judging by his/her name. We all know what antiques are worth. He should drill some no60 holes to simulate woodworm and french polish the instrument panel if he wants to achieve that pricesmiley

Thread: Cataract surgery and model flying.
30/09/2017 14:54:48

I've had both eyes done, the first about five years ago. This was might right eye. Prior to the op if I was flying and closed my left eye the model disappeared! Not ideal.My left eye was done this year and now my sight is really very good. I had significant astigmatism in my left eye and immediately before the op was offered an alternative lens that would correct this condition, unfortunately not funded by the NHS. However a little additional surgery during the cataract op has improved the eye significantly.

BTW unless you are VERY scared of surgery have the op done under a local aneasthetic its quite an interesting experience and allowsyou appreciate the skill of the surgeon,

Thread: Novice Build
29/09/2017 10:49:48

I built a Baby Ace in the late 70's, its still in my shed but could do with at least a recover. A nice model to start a building career. Mine is/was powered with a first version of the OS40 four stroke which provided adequate but not excessive power, Great just pootling around at low level. You need to coordinate rudder and aileron to make the turns look tidy though. The only shortcoming is the undercarriage location which made take offs from all but the shortest grass tricky. If you can move the wheel centres/axles forward by a little say about 1/2 inch that should improve this characteristic. Good luck with the build, mine was a band-sawn kit none of this hyper accurate laser cutting back then!smiley

Thread: Horizon Hobbies
19/09/2017 11:40:39

I have a DX6 which does the same thing. Originally supplied with Dry batteries, which discharged at about the rate you might expect. I bought the Spektrum Lithium rechargeable battery pack. After installing it and charging it with the appropriate charger I noticed the same phenomenon. Asked at my LMS which considered it 'normal'. I removed the pack and opened it and beside the battery there is a small electronic circuit which I guess is the charge regulator. I guess this because the Spektrum logo on the TX face doesn't light up when charging unlike my DX8 which does. My guess is the charging circuit in the battery pack is responsible for this self discharge phenomenon, after all lipos have a very low self discharge rate.,

Thread: The 2018 Mass Build Ideas thread
12/09/2017 14:33:42

Pondering a possible model for the 2018 mass build I wondered whether a stand off scale model would be a possibility? I would suggest that the Tipsy Junior, a Peter Miller plan would be suitable. Simple to build and can be enhanced with scale detail, unfortunately only two existed so perhaps not very exciting. Or Peter's CAP 20. A slightly more challenging build with the semi elliptical wing. There are lots of colour schemes around to allow personalisation.

I've also built Peter's Fournier RF4, but perhaps a long tapered wing with washout is a step too far?

Thread: I've just acquired
14/08/2017 17:17:18

I guess the machine you have is ex school or college. If it is I would check the condition of the seals. There are two, a thicker slightly softer one that fits around the edge of the table and another that is quite obvious on the top of the machine on which the plastic is placed and the frame brought down and locked onto it. Unfortunately people often leave the table up and the frame locked down which shortens the life of the seals. Poor seals = poor vac forming. Good seals = excellent vac forming. I think this machine also had an air filter inside the cabinet, rarely changed but a poor vacuum points toward a blocked filter.

BTW K&M supplies who are an educational supplier sell plastic sheet already cut to size for the machine. They are Halfway near Sheffield.

good formingsmiley

Thread: help with robart pin hinges
08/08/2017 12:19:12

I've got a pack of those just the same, They're in the bottom of my hinge drawer right now. If someone comes up with a sensible, cheap and easy way to use them that's where they'll stay.

Thread: Is it a record
28/07/2017 14:07:27

My thread title was intentionally ambiguous as was my opening post. The second post answered the question, so arguably ending the thread.

However many of us, contributors to the forum and the wider model building population are naturally concerned when one of the major players in the business stops trading especially one that appears to hold a large percentage of the plans and part kit asset.

Equally I can see the sensitivity of the owners of this forum who are effectively the other businesses chief rival. Clearly seeming to gloat over a rivals misfortune is not a nice thing, after all, in these uncertain days in publishing you could be next.

I have also been the 'victim' of moderation and put on the naughty step earlier this year when I suggested a post asking about models crashing into houses might just be a malicious posting.

My final point is that what appears to be conspicuous moderation might give rise to a new sport of moderator baiting, it's a blood sport and ultimately there are no winners

Thread: New Laser engines. What do you want?
28/07/2017 13:48:16

Jon, I suspect that your 'correspondent' may well be a single finger typist who has difficulty in turning his/her computer on and therefore struggles to stirng a few coherent words together. Asking what they intended to use the motor for is way beyond their computer skills.

Another possible solution to your problem lies in your telephone system.I don't know whether you have a multi option system. So that 'press 1 to hear the latest stock availability. Press 2 to hear the estimated waiting times for other engines. Press 3 to speak to that nice Mr Harper!

Thread: Is it a record
28/07/2017 10:19:44

Thread opened to locked in one hour and ten minutes. Moderators are you being played with?

Thread: Ebay sellers...
26/07/2017 07:57:03

Now then the ad does say that you are only getting the front bit, that'll be the lump of corroded metal then. The rest is going in the bin.

Thread: Visiting the UK in September
23/07/2017 14:31:11

Just checked and the 'ghost squadron' is doing Middle Wallop on 9th 10th September.. I think your only problem whilst you are here is when to sleep!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings and Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
SHREK
Overlander
CML
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues