By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Dance 1

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Dance 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Martin's Skywriter, aliitle late but....
22/02/2017 13:28:57

A little more progress, but first I have failed to remember/ find the source of the 3mm inserts. looked at my ebay history, nothing, looked at my Paypal history but it only goes back to the start of 2016. I'm pretty certain I bought them in 2015. Modelfixings only go down to 4mm inserts. A recent search on Google finds plenty of 3mm inserts but not the same as I bought originally, annoying because I could do with some more.

Any way next photo shows top wing with the nearly complete tips in place and the ailerons tacked in place and roughly shaped.

top wing tips and ailerons.jpg

By the way Lucas how did you form your tips? I toyed with laminating but decided against it. I seem to have a bit of an issue at the trailing edge/aileron interface trying to ensure there is enough material to produce a flat surface to line up with the aileron.

lower wing underway.jpg

Another week, another wing! the start of the lower wing. One thing I should have spotted is that the innermost LR2 rib needs to be cut in order to fit the dihedral brace. a little surgery needed here. Any one spotted how much dihedral this wing has before I start drawing all over my plan. Finally the last two photos remind me to have a tidy up!

Thread: 2017 Mass Build Chat Thread
19/02/2017 14:06:17

If you're not sure about buying on line try your local florist! and ask for corsage magnets, no I'm not kidding a friend of mine used to use them for our applications before rare earth magnets became more available.

Thread: Martin's Skywriter, aliitle late but....
18/02/2017 19:11:56

Tim, No its a right hand thread, but calling it a thread is overstating it, it is more a spiral ridge than a fully formed thread, a little epoxy or cyano will ensure they won't easily come out.

18/02/2017 11:40:51

Hi Lucas, yes,they have sort of a thread more of a fine spiral ridge than a thread. What I did was to run a nut onto an M3 machine screw then screw the machine screw into the insert and then screw it into the plywood piece as on the plan. I used 4mm birch ply on my wing. The core diameter of the insert allows a 4.5mm hole to be drilled leaving just enough material for the thread on the insert to bite on.

17/02/2017 21:00:40

Hi @ Tim and Lucas, my rapid progress is an illusion! I like building wings so I tend to make rapid progress. So at the moment progress is Hare like. When I start the fuselage I will slow to a tortoises pace and then covering will be carried out at a snails pace, finally installation and linkages U/C etc will be done at a Sloth's pace! The rudder horn for the closed loop system will be made from 1mm epoxy/glass sheet, as indeed will the horns linking the upper and lower ailerons. I have used ply for horns on slower models but I'm not convinced they're adequate in this application. The gluing area will be roughened before applying epoxy. One of the reasons for doing the tail group first was to make the positioning of the rudder servo easier and the position of the holes in the fuselage for the control wires easier to determine. This in turn will impact on the elevator servo position and the choice of elevator linkage all moments for endless Sloth speed work! One point I should have made in an earlier post is my decision to use 3mm threaded inserts to retain the bolts holding the upper wing to the cabane. I found some online a year or so back but I failed to bookmark the site, but here is a photo.

3mm threaded insert.jpg

Finally tonight a photo of the upper wing this evening now requires the tips and the ailerons shaped.

topwing sheeting capstips and aileron material.jpg

15/02/2017 22:03:09

Today's efforts were aimed to get the top wing looking ummmm more wing like!

most ribs in place, top wing.jpg

The first photo shows most ribs in position, but importantly there holding the rear spar in place whilst the glue sets. The next photo shows the wing at close of play. With all the top wing ribs in place and the top spar glued in place. The LE and TE are for tomorrow.

ribs and top spar.jpg

15/02/2017 22:03:08

Today's efforts were aimed to get the top wing looking ummmm more wing like!

most ribs in place, top wing.jpg

The first photo shows most ribs in position, but importantly there holding the rear spar in place whilst the glue sets. The next photo shows the wing at close of play. With all the top wing ribs in place and the top spar glued in place. The LE and TE are for tomorrow.

ribs and top spar.jpg

14/02/2017 20:50:12

tail weight.jpgHi,

I enjoyed building the Ballerina last year. As a notoriously slow builder I found following others progress made me build quicker! Slow? well 31/2 years to build Peter Millers RF4 is slow!

I am by nature a scratch builder, start with a heap of materials, drawings sharp scalpel blades etc and I'm off...slowly! I've been building models since I was 12 and now HMG pays my wages!

I thought I would start with the tail group because it is easy and I'm considering closed loop linkage for the rudder so having the tail group to hand should help with the positioning with the holes for the closed loop wires. Nicked the laminated LE idea using 6 lams of 1/16th balsa around a MDF former.tailplane laminating.jpg

Thread: Why learn aerobatics? How learn aerobatics?
13/02/2017 19:32:31

It has been argued that aerobatics is the ultimate test of flying skill Here we go 'oh no its not'. I agree with your basic plan, it's certainly achievable. Definately go to each flying session with a specific plan, 'today I will practise three consecutive loops' etc.

I would strongly recommend Neil Williams book 'Aerobatics' long out of print and Neil sadly deceased. It's about aerobatics in full size aircraft but many of the hints and tips apply to our models. Apart from that it's an interesting read Tr your library, second hand bookshop Amazon etc.

Thread: Any Idea What This Is?
13/02/2017 08:01:52

I'm with Nigel on this one, Saturn Sandpiper. I had one in the mid seventies, nice model. I still have a canopy.

Thread: Planning laws, clarification sought
10/02/2017 11:14:34

Whatever the governments policy is on housing development at the moment this proposal falls outside it? My understanding is that it is a holiday development not a proposal for permanent dwellings for families and therefore adds nothing to the national housing stock. Perhaps the developer should be 'persuaded' that some of the duplex apartments have to be affordable homes.

Thread: Should you invite drone pilots to your field?
06/02/2017 11:45:23

We have had multi rotors flying on our site for a while, several years in fact. Most of our MR flyers came by way of heli flying some of whom are very good 3d flyers. The early adopters mostly scratch built their MRs and so when they flew mostly from the heli patch most stopped to watch. We now have a couple of members who have the CAA certificate and joined so they could have somewhere to fly in order to maintain their hours. Most will stop when a large camera carrying octo-copter takes to the air! The benefits are we have some nice aerial footage of our field. However a couple of FPV MR flyers tried racing, we had to ban that activity because our site is open to members of the public dog walking, jogging etc so FPV racing flying at head height is just not acceptable! So our response initially was we are 'drone tolerant' seemed reasonable but unfortunately the BMFA doesn't have such a category so we are drone friendly but with restrictions.

Oddly one of our FPV MR flyers tried to find a drone friendly farmer who had a small area of woodland which they could fly in and out off. No luck I gather which did surprise me as it would have provided an income from a part of the farm which doesn't usually show a profit.

Thread: Shaving
22/01/2017 08:41:30

Many years ago I had a colleague who before becoming a teacher worked for Gillette looking at the sharpness of razor blades and how they became blunt. Much work involved examining the blades under an electron microscope. He said it was impossible to distinguish by examination a sharp,new, blade from a blunt, used , blade. The only way to tell was by shaving with the blades! In frustration he decided upon a career change.

It's certainly true that these multi bladed 'shaving systems' are certainly expensive, intended to bleed you dry in both literally and metaphorically!

Thread: LMA v BMFA insurance
18/01/2017 11:54:58

It puzzles me why quite so many forum members, both on this and other forums, get quite so agitated about the cost of BMFA membership, the cost of insurance and the printed BMFA News. The annual cost for an adult member is £33. That's about 1/3rd of the price of a Seagull Boomerang trainer kit about the same as a mid priced 40A esc and a lot of mid specification servos come in at around that price. So the sub is a small fraction of most peoples average modelling spend. Yet feel it quite in order to whinge endlessly.

The BMFA News is a journal of record. In it are reports of the activities of its members whether they have just got their ;A cert or have become a world champion. It records and reports how our hobby is faring in the larger world, note the amount of effort being expended trying to moderate, with some success, the EASA proposals caused in the main by commercial business selling products to those who aren't aware of the possible consequences of their activities and certainly couldn't care less about it as long as the profits keep rolling in. The insurance is excellent value for its scope, just try equalling it as an individual buying in the market.

The NFC when completed will present a first class image of a sport/hobby often seen as stupid old men playing with toys in a wet and or windy field. Sad, but hey they're harmless.

Stop whinging about our national body and perhaps support its aims!

Thread: To much down thrust????????????
10/01/2017 08:31:17

The only experience I have of excessive down thrust happened a long time ago with a friend's rebuilt Tiger Moth. Take off needed more than normal up elevator but once air borne flew perfectly well. The interesting bit was the landing. set the model up for the approach, fine, just before touch down decide to go round, open the throttle and the down thrust very firmly landed the plane unless you were very quick with the elevator.

Correct it before flying to avoid interesting challenges.smiley

Thread: Setting up new field.
29/12/2016 10:53:38

Before actually applying for change of use I would suggest having a chat with a planning officer that serves your local authority are. They are always helpful.

Things to bear in mind. Proximity of noise sensitive premises. access and egress on to the public highway, the LA may well require some restrictions. Noise assessment, fortunately these days have a chat with Andy Symons BMFA. are things you need to investigate before you turn a sod on your new strip.

Martin

Thread: Time to confront problem with my OS60GTs petrols
21/12/2016 09:56:39

Thinking back a year or so my LMS had an OS petrol returned with a cracked crankcase after little use. Engine returned to Rip Max. Fault diagnosed as a misaligned casting. Apparently fault diagnosed and rectified by one Peter Halman who knows a bit about model engines!

Thread: Christmas Caption Competition!
08/12/2016 08:30:02

Don't you remember your mother said it's rude to point.

Thread: YouTube Where do they get them from??
05/12/2016 08:37:03

Well done Phil! You've won the worst video by a country mile!!smiley

Thread: Ebay sellers...
05/12/2016 08:22:50

Curious, this seller often has engines for sale on ebay. Where does he get them from? Always exotic high performance motors in unused condition. Clearly not a modeller.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Overlander
CML
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What's the main radio brand you use? (2017)
Q: What's the main radio brand you use?

FrSky
 Turnigy
 Multiplex
 Hitec
 Futaba
 JR
 Spektrum
 Graupner
 Jeti
 Other

Latest Reviews