By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Dance 1

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Dance 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A + B Tests
07/04/2017 20:42:56

One reason tat two examiners are required to conduct a B test could be that it is quite a difficult test to examine far easier to fly the test than to examine it. For example rolls have to be flown from both left and right and rotating clockwise and anticlockwise. With two pairs of eyes watching errors are less likely to be missed. Similarly at times the fingers on the sticks need to be watched as well as the model. Tricky unless you are like Marty Feldman.

Thread: Caption competition!
31/03/2017 17:35:08

Joe had fitted one of these stabilised Rx's its wings level feature will have it the right way up in the blink of an eye!

Thread: Futaba M4
31/03/2017 12:04:04

When 35Mhz was first approved there were quite a lot of conversions available either as 'Factory' conversions or done by independent businesses. I didn't realise that Micron did one. If you pop the back off the Tx you will probably find a entirely new board has been fitted. Certainly Futaba M4 27Mhz AM sets did not have a centre loaded aerial. If it had been a later 27 Mhz FM set the upgrade to 35Mhz was simpler, a change to one of the coils and a change of capacitor and a new crystal was all that was needed.

Whether the set you have has any value beyond being a curiosity I have no idea but I expect Phil Green will be along with more info soon.

Thread: Tim's Skywriter Build
31/03/2017 11:52:22

Very nice build Tim, as Lucas says what weight have you reached now? I'm glad you're away gives me a chance to catch up between sessions on the allotment. So when you get back I should have a finished Skywriter and the start of the annual glut of courgettes!

Thread: Gentle Curves - Lucas his Skywriter
30/03/2017 22:02:26

Nice piece of work Lucas, on reflection I wish i Had made laminated tips a lot less fiddling than with the tips as drawn.

Thread: Johns Skywriter....will it be spelt correctly ?
30/03/2017 21:58:07

Lucas, that was my conclusion too. The ply reinforcement in that area will strengthen the TE/TE sub spar joint anyway and a small piece of ply on the upper surface of the wing will provide some extra support. I was going to use two wing bolts as well, either M4 or M5 nylon bolts. Although I did have one model where the wing bolts were 4BA simply threaded into a hardwood block and it never failed, much to my surprise.

30/03/2017 19:52:02

Nice building John, love the weights on the wing! Is the wooden bowl made from lignum vitae?smiley. My build is substantially complete just all those it'll only take a minute jobs. I've fitted the U/C mount so I thought I'll fit the lower wing bolt assembly. Ah ha the fuselage side view shows the bolt going through the wing slightly ahead of the wing bolt reinforcing block which is attached to the sub trailing edge spar. Turning to the lower wing drawing the bolt hole is quite clearly and firmly through the trailing edge. My thought is to go through the TE, it is reinforced with ply so should be adequately strong. The position shown on the fuselage will work equally but the reinforcing block in the wing isn't that big and clearly not a good idea to drill through the TE sub spar. Fellow MB ers thoughts?

Thread: Caption competition!
28/03/2017 16:01:36

'This would have been much easier if they had fitted hand holds on the underside of the full size. But the builder wouldn't deviate from scale accuracy'

Thread: Showing in stock and it is NOT!!!!!!
27/03/2017 20:53:30

However to every case of being out of stock when stock is showing on line is the opposite situation. Twice recently I've needed to order some covering film. On both occasions from two well known suppliers. In both cases they were showing no stock. I waited for three or four weeks on both occasions, finally I rang them and asked when they expected new stock. The first said 'its arrived I'll just update the website, now you can order.' The second 'yes we have that in stock', well it was white I wanted!. 'Just a moment I'll correct the website. OK you can order now!'

I guess website technology isn't perfect.

Thread: Martin's Skywriter, aliitle late but....
26/03/2017 12:16:51

Haven't posted lately, the garden and allotment are begging for and getting attention! However progress does continue. Yesterday saw the front of the fuselage complete, had to enlarge the opening in order to slot the motor in. I'm using a RipMax Quantum 40 which should prove adequate on 4S if not 5S! Still to do on the fuselage is the lower wing location and U/C mounting and the wing bolt support.

fuselage complete1.jpg

fuselage complete 2.jpg

Just noticed the dreadful clutter at the end of my shed! And before you ask the foamy is a Polaris a depron creation which has to be the most fun per £ ever. The next photo shows the Port side aileron servo in place also visible is the ASI pitot.

aileron servo port side.jpg

Finally for today the photo shows the hard points I've installed for the cabane attachment. underneath them is the as designed cabane support pieces with the M3 inserts in them. Hopefully the hard points which are glued to the underlying structure will stop the inserts from being pulled out in normal use.

top wing hard points.jpg

All for now

Edited By Martin Dance 1 on 26/03/2017 12:18:49

Thread: Odd problem
25/03/2017 18:05:12

Chris, I suspect the problem is a programming issue. Most, but not all ESCs are programmable so that you can select such things as brake on or off. Soft or hard start, and timing are the usual parameters you can change. If you have the instructions for the Turnigy ESC it should tell you how to change the program settings. There are two usual ways of doing this one is using your Tx and counting sequences of beeps, incredibly annoying and prone to errors or by obtaining a programming card for the ESC mush less frustrating and less error prone.

Had a thought the instructions should be on the HK website, find the motor and usually the instructions are under the FILE tab.

good luck

Thread: PIPER CUB 84 INCH D. B Sport and scale
25/03/2017 17:54:11

Hi Denis, mission accomplished. I guess that'll give EB something to read tonight. By the way just to support George at 4max, he is close to me and used to attend our indoor meetings. A thoroughly nice chap and you openly admit on a forum to using his knowledge and then buying from HK. Shame on yousmileylaugh.

25/03/2017 12:51:45

I'm pleased Richard was able to help you. I've just had a rummage through my plans box and turned up the instructions for the DB Cub. I bought my kit around 1989-91 when DB's address was Irchester Northants. If you would like a copy I'm happy to either scan them or copy them. PM me your email or postal address Be aware they were printed using either a Roneo or Gestetner machine and were printed on Foolscap paper! They will fit onto A4.

Mine is next in line for refurbishment. I powered mine with an OS61 four stroke, or rather I overpowered it! Short take offs and 45+ degree climbs are easily possible with this power. Unfortunately that era of OS four strokes were not happy running slowly mounted inverted so flying at scale like speed was to risk flame outs,still lots of landing practice.

What do you plan to power yours with? I've often thought about converting it to electric. Good luck with the build.

20/03/2017 21:02:35

I extended the bottom edge of the dihedral brace out to the span length and found the dihedral was about 1/2" in total. I think more aesthetic than adding anything to the planes stability.

19/03/2017 12:25:39

Hi eventually found the details of the company I bought M3 inserts from. They're called Inserts Direct I Googled them, they still exist but prices on their site are for 1,000 off quantities. As I found their details on my phone! I guess I rang them and asked for some samples or a smaller quantity, which they supplied.

15/03/2017 18:48:16

Hi John, mine is the same, a very slight curve upwards around F6F7, I cut my formers from the plan. Two explanations, 1. I'm lousy at cutting formers accurately, probably truesmiley or 2. Lindsay did it deliberately to avoid the possible 'starved horse' appearance if it was dead straight. However not enough to worry about.

Thread: Hi from a clueless noobie looking for help !
13/03/2017 08:46:48

Probably other than small ads in a magazine such as RCM&E ebay is probably the only avenue open to you. The BMFA has a sales section on its website but you have to be a member to use it. Difficult to suggest a value. Posting a photo on here may help. Unfortunately you say the box is in bad shape which will limit its appeal to kit collectors. Anyone buying it is likely to be a builder. A bit more information required like wingspan engine size required, finished weight would help. This info should be one the box or the plan.

good luck

13/03/2017 08:38:46

Hi Tim and Lucas, I thought the Jacinth colour would be nice. Just been to the HK website White film HK warehouse, Jacinth EU warehouse Need some pilots 1. UK warehouse, 2. HK warehouse. total value about £25, shipping just over £30! I guess i'll wait!

13/03/2017 07:49:01

My thoughts about a fan/ sunburst across the top wing was my first thought too Tim. I thought orange and white for two reasons , I have some orange and white chequerboard Toughlon left over from another model for underneath the lower wing, The second reason for orange is to put to bed a long held belief that orange is an unlucky colour for me. OK I'm not really superstitious.

As for HK film I went to their website the other evening and it wasn't playing nice. I'l try again today.

Martin

12/03/2017 21:49:37

That's looking very neat Tim. As for colour scheme I had pretty well settled on orange and white, slight snag other than Oracover and solarfilm white is not be had in Toughlon or Easycoat. so much for the thought that people aren't building! My progress has slowed, sanded the tail group and hinged elevators and rudder and sorted out the closed loop for the rudder and the tube for the elevator, all a bit tight at the rear!

Weather is improving so the allotment gets priority next week.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
SHREK
Overlander
Skip Model April
CML
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
Q: How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?

5 to 10
 10+
 15+
 20+

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us