By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Dance 1

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Dance 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Shaving
22/01/2017 08:41:30

Many years ago I had a colleague who before becoming a teacher worked for Gillette looking at the sharpness of razor blades and how they became blunt. Much work involved examining the blades under an electron microscope. He said it was impossible to distinguish by examination a sharp,new, blade from a blunt, used , blade. The only way to tell was by shaving with the blades! In frustration he decided upon a career change.

It's certainly true that these multi bladed 'shaving systems' are certainly expensive, intended to bleed you dry in both literally and metaphorically!

Thread: LMA v BMFA insurance
18/01/2017 11:54:58

It puzzles me why quite so many forum members, both on this and other forums, get quite so agitated about the cost of BMFA membership, the cost of insurance and the printed BMFA News. The annual cost for an adult member is £33. That's about 1/3rd of the price of a Seagull Boomerang trainer kit about the same as a mid priced 40A esc and a lot of mid specification servos come in at around that price. So the sub is a small fraction of most peoples average modelling spend. Yet feel it quite in order to whinge endlessly.

The BMFA News is a journal of record. In it are reports of the activities of its members whether they have just got their ;A cert or have become a world champion. It records and reports how our hobby is faring in the larger world, note the amount of effort being expended trying to moderate, with some success, the EASA proposals caused in the main by commercial business selling products to those who aren't aware of the possible consequences of their activities and certainly couldn't care less about it as long as the profits keep rolling in. The insurance is excellent value for its scope, just try equalling it as an individual buying in the market.

The NFC when completed will present a first class image of a sport/hobby often seen as stupid old men playing with toys in a wet and or windy field. Sad, but hey they're harmless.

Stop whinging about our national body and perhaps support its aims!

Thread: To much down thrust????????????
10/01/2017 08:31:17

The only experience I have of excessive down thrust happened a long time ago with a friend's rebuilt Tiger Moth. Take off needed more than normal up elevator but once air borne flew perfectly well. The interesting bit was the landing. set the model up for the approach, fine, just before touch down decide to go round, open the throttle and the down thrust very firmly landed the plane unless you were very quick with the elevator.

Correct it before flying to avoid interesting challenges.smiley

Thread: Setting up new field.
29/12/2016 10:53:38

Before actually applying for change of use I would suggest having a chat with a planning officer that serves your local authority are. They are always helpful.

Things to bear in mind. Proximity of noise sensitive premises. access and egress on to the public highway, the LA may well require some restrictions. Noise assessment, fortunately these days have a chat with Andy Symons BMFA. are things you need to investigate before you turn a sod on your new strip.

Martin

Thread: Time to confront problem with my OS60GTs petrols
21/12/2016 09:56:39

Thinking back a year or so my LMS had an OS petrol returned with a cracked crankcase after little use. Engine returned to Rip Max. Fault diagnosed as a misaligned casting. Apparently fault diagnosed and rectified by one Peter Halman who knows a bit about model engines!

Thread: Christmas Caption Competition!
08/12/2016 08:30:02

Don't you remember your mother said it's rude to point.

Thread: YouTube Where do they get them from??
05/12/2016 08:37:03

Well done Phil! You've won the worst video by a country mile!!smiley

Thread: Ebay sellers...
05/12/2016 08:22:50

Curious, this seller often has engines for sale on ebay. Where does he get them from? Always exotic high performance motors in unused condition. Clearly not a modeller.

Thread: Civilian Coupe (1932)
02/12/2016 08:42:41

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away a friend used to make spoked wheels regularly. The hub was a piece of brass tube with two brass discs with a ring of holes drilled around the circumference soldered to it. The rim was laminated ply ring with a cross section to retain the tyre. The spokes were made from fishing line. assembly required the use of a simple jig to hold the hub and rim. The spokes were laced from the hub through holes in the rim, the whole lot in reasonable tension. The tyre was a suitably sized O ring. You would think it would be to fragile to survive on a model, but you try breaking one!

I recall there was an article in on of the mags way back, start searching around 1971

Thread: A tacking adhesive
02/12/2016 08:24:59

If Cow gum is 'old school' then do what plans often used to suggest 'tack with spots of balsa cement' when done slide a modelling knife through the spots and it separates easily.

Thread: Spektrum Dx6 Black Edition - Elevon travel
20/11/2016 21:52:56

From memory, without checking. The right elevon servo is plugged into the aileron output on the Rx and the left elevon servo into the elevator output. Setting the servo travel correctly for ailerons should then give the correct travel for the elevator, assuming the travel direction for elevator and aileron were 'norm' to begin with.

Thread: 2017 Mass Build Voting Thread
03/11/2016 13:40:54

1. Flea/Kwik fli

2 Skywriter

3. Evans Volksplane

Thread: Dual Rates on DX6
03/11/2016 13:30:02

Hi,

assuming that your transmitter is currently at default settings as an initial starting point proceed as follows.

Tx on, press roller, scroll down to D/R and expo press roller. the next screen shows a graphic of the current D/R expo setting should be a diagonal straight line. Default channel is aileron at top of list. Current setting for switch in position 1 is 100% rate 0%expo. Do make sure that you have selected switch F as the D/R expo switch. by default it simply says switch ON Scroll down to dual rate and change to your preferred rate (125%) although why you would use this for an initial setup I. Press roller don't know. then select second switch position and set your required rate. Job done. The only reasons I can see for your problem could be selecting 125% for rate 0. I've just done this with my DX6 (gen 1) in front of me. If it doesn't work try max rate at 100% and set control surface travel mechanically rather than over driving the servo to 125%. That's the only reason I can see for your problem.

Thread: Eric Clutton FRED
26/10/2016 15:42:22

In the current issue of Aeromodeller there is an interview with Eric Clutton, well worth a read.

Thread: Help with this unknown model
19/10/2016 08:27:22

I would hazard a guess that it's a Vic Smeed design. The rear fuselage construction looks like a Ballerina. Vic also liked elliptical wing tips and the wing construction is very reminiscent of many of his designs. If it is 121" span then it's been enlarged from something in the 36-48" range. The nose however is not typical of Smeed so I guess its a bit of O/D to allow the fitting of a largish glow motor.

06/10/2016 14:13:38

Interesting that both models in the last two posts are being sold by the same person. Are they his to sell? Is he under instruction to sell by a higher authority e.g senior domestic management? When they don't sell 'Well dear I tried' I suppose I'll have to fly them.

Thread: Verhees Delta
29/09/2016 13:51:38

Hi Max just picked up on your post of the 4th. The aircraft is predominantly silver, the colour I observed from my (location (about 100m) was it was simply a mid red shade not noticeably flourescent. However it was an overcast day which I suppose would make flourescents show up more clearly. Neat build by the way!

14/09/2016 08:24:04

Is there a maniac loose on ebay? Over the weekend an old hammer finish square Macgregor single channel TX sold for £72.00 too high for my ambitions on converting one to 2.4.Yesterday evening another ended and with a couple of minutes to go was at £12.50, much more realistic,so I bid £15.00 and was the high bidder, with 20secs to go it was at £98.75! the winning bid. Curiously the winning bidder seems to have been the same person for both Tx's, does this person know something the rest of us don't?

Martin

Thread: Internet Provider support scam
06/09/2016 21:10:33

My response to the 'your PC is running slowly' is to ask which of 2 PCs 3 laptops and a couple of tablet devices it is. and I will take it out and shoot it! They always hang up.

Thread: Verhees Delta
02/09/2016 20:59:32

Visited the LAA rally at Sywell today. The Verhees delta taxied in whilst I was there. Don't know if it's there for the weekend.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Advertise With Us
Overlander
Slec
CML
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?
Q: Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?

Dad
 Mum
 Partner
 Son
 Daughter
 Grandson
 Granddaughter
 Friends
 Other
 No-one else

Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues