By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Green

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Green has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is there a problem with the DX6
15/03/2017 20:50:01

This is my last Donald, I have no idea why you continually seek an argument, I dont, and I doubt that 'Rocker' did either when he asked the question "Is there a problem with the DX6". Surely in his thread, the decision as to what constitutes a useful reply is his, not yours. If I were asking the question, I would appreciate reports good and bad.
As for "So why did he [Frank] not say so in the first place" can you explain to me where in Frank's phrase "my DX6 G2 went dead" there is any doubt as to what happened to his DX6 G2? and "without any information as to what the failure was" ? He doesnt yet know what the failure is, he's not an RF tech. It has power, but its dead. I'm astonished by your attitude Donald, this isnt your thread, this is about 'Rocker' asking for answers to his question. Why you want any argument, let alone an 'improved argument' is utterly beyond me. Thats my last.

Edited By Phil Green on 15/03/2017 20:59:05

15/03/2017 17:25:22

Donald, the thread title asks "Is there a problem with the DX6" and since it is posted on a public forum rather than directly to Horizon Hobby, I assumed it was open for discussion and that a recent report from a highly respected member of RCG might be of interest. Actually Frank (Goldguy) is well known to many of us (in the net sense), he designed the Nutball and is a keen slope soarer and a regular contributor to Den's Wisel thread. That you personally dont know of him is by the bye, and your loss. If Frank posts something, it is factual, he's that kind of bloke. He is also not an idiot Denis. Maybe you both prefer to read the genuinely misleading technobabble nonsense posted in previous Spektrum threads by people who have no clue how it actually works. Yes you've upset me by accusing me of posting an untruth and deliberately misleading newbies. The vast majority of my posts are intended to help within my narrow area of expertise. And whilst I accept your apology, I'm done here.

Edit: just confirmed with Frank, the Tx has failed, nothing to do with flight packs.

Edited By Phil Green on 15/03/2017 18:59:03

15/03/2017 14:33:14

from yesterday:

Posted by Goldguy (RCG) on 15/03/2017 05:30:00:

DX6 WARNING!!
I was sloping over the ocean the other day and my DX6 G2 went dead,
with my bird ending up in the SALT chuck. Apparently, 'permanent' loss
of transmission is a common problem and the fix is warranty return.
Good thing I wasn't flying a 1/4 scale war bird at the club field full
of slow moving old guys. Wonder what kind of a law suit that would incur?

Thread: Sandbox
14/03/2017 20:38:15
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 23/09/2016 17:17:26:

Just a mod testing video embeding! [Jethro Tull vid]

Run with it.

BEB

Can we go over 450 wide now then Dave? wink

Edited By Phil Green on 14/03/2017 20:54:33

Thread: Electrifying a pedal cycle
14/03/2017 20:20:05

At the Nats year before last there was a lad with a 6kw Crystalite conversion, tearing around the camping area, he said it had been timed at 58mph. You could see it had phenominal acceleration -- he told me his party piece was out accelerating cars from the lights whilst pedaling backwards!

It was full of lipos though, 120 volts IIRC.

Thread: Arduino Software Help Using an EDF
14/03/2017 19:55:06

Which bit Max?   switchState is an int, preassigned with 7.
Then in loop() Tom says: switchState = analogRead(sensorPin);
If A0 has a pullup and a button to ground, switchState will then hold zero or 1023 (but not reliably with ADC noise)

Buttons should be read with digital inputs, ADCs are always susceptible to +/- a bit of quantisation.

Edited By Phil Green on 14/03/2017 20:05:31

14/03/2017 19:43:53

The logic & syntax is all mixed up Tom.
You've defined switchState as an integer, preset to 7 (why? is this the button input on D7?)
in setSpeed() you do switchState=analogRead(A0) which overwrites the '7' and gives switchState a value from 0 to 1023 from the ADC.
You then ask if switchState is LOW which is a binary function, presumably you wanted to test a button here?
theres no 'if' accompanying the 'else' following the second switchState test for equal to HIGH, so the compiler treats that as an assignment rather than the intended test.
You dont seem to do anything with the actual ADC reading, I think you intended assigning it to a separate variable but instead re-used switchState, which elsewhere seems to be the button, high or low.

The logic then ramps up the speed to 100 over a period of 10 seconds (100ms x 100) whilst pin 9 simply follows pin 7 and otherwise has no effect on proceedings.  

Can you explain better what you want to do please, and how the hardware is connected?

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 14/03/2017 19:59:36

Thread: Electrifying a pedal cycle
14/03/2017 11:03:23

I remember Guy Martin managed to sustain 750 watts for a short time on the dyno when training for his man-powered flight session.

Geoff, we cross posted, I suggested that normally the pack itself has an internal balancing board so its most likely a simple CC/CV charger, just pos & neg.  And it will almost certainly be a LiFePo4 pack perfectly safe to charge indoors.

Heres my mk2, the 10S 5000 lipos are in the little crossbar pouches, 5S either side, and the controller is in a similar bag hung from the bars, all hooked up with XT60s:

img_20170314_105814.jpg

Just remembered another thing.   The powered front wheel broke the axle lugs off two sets of suspension forks under the axle nut.   It now runs steel forks without suspension and has been fine since - they can flex slightly without breaking like the cast lowers did.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 14/03/2017 11:16:06

13/03/2017 22:37:42

I love mine. All the gear has been transferred to a new frame since I posted a while back.

Other than the frame, the only thing I've changed is the battery. Mine is also 36v and the most common pack configuration is a 10S LiFePo4 which runs nowhere near 36v. For the extra voltage and for lightness I changed to two 5S 5000 Lipos, charged in parallel and running is series. I use mine for short hops so a 5Ah normally lasts me a week. I've tried the legal 250w max, it is a help, but seems unnecessarily conservative.
At just over a kilowatt its still has only a fraction of the performance of a typical moped.
The pedal-pressure requirement is for new imports, mine has its original twistgrip, like a motorbike.
A DIY has the benefit of ease of transfer should you change bikes. You could even rig it with plugs & sockets and share a powered wheel between bikes.

I'll post a pic tomorrow in daylight.

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 13/03/2017 20:25:17:

I'm hoping the supplied charger balances the cells - that's something I want to to ask. Another thing is how safe is the charge regime. I've no experience with Li-Ion cells but we all know not to leave LiPos on charge unattended. Does the same apply to Li-Ion?

Normally the pack itself has an internal balancing board Geoff so its a simple CC/CV charger, just pos & neg.
They will almost certainly be LiFePo4 cells, perfectly safe with none of the Lipo worries.  There are various Youtube videos of people knocking nails through A123s etc, with no ill effects other than melted nails thumbsup.jpg

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 13/03/2017 22:59:58

13/03/2017 15:05:49
Posted by PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 13/03/2017 14:58:47:

Hi all. Been following the thread and one feature not mentioned here

Thats been mentioned many, many times Peter wink almost as ubiquitous as the donut diagram

Thread: No KSB & Tatone in the UK?
13/03/2017 15:01:24

More & more sites, especially MOD areas, are demanding remotely tripped dethermalisers - or rather some means of preventing the model escaping the site boundary, so RDT may be the way to go Per.
I appreciate that for authenticity a vintage restoration needs a genuine period timer, but you may find that restricts where you can fly. Maybe an inactive timer purely for cosmetics, and an internally hidden RDT?

Cheers
Phil

13/03/2017 14:50:52
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 13/03/2017 10:43:48:

Thought everyone knew that.

I think everyone is well aware of the theoretical donut pattern Martin, many of us are hams and RF techs - but that principle applies to ideal conditions ie an isotropic chamber, in practice there is so much reflection and scatter that the radiation pattern isnt anywhere near as theoretically perfect as some expect.
Like many others I've often deliberately pointed the aerial at the model and even at extreme distance with single-aerial receivers, I've never managed to deliberately cause a failsafe event.
Matts approach is the right one, ie to continually take account of the immediate circumstances rather than blindly doing this or that just because you always have done.

/2p
Phil

Thread: FMS Alpha Jet 2ch R/C conversion for PSS
11/03/2017 22:47:47

Well, two arrived from Wheelspin yesterday, and one from Arrow today.
The Arrow one has a bad warp that I might be able to remove with "elapor soup" ™
Of the two Wheelspin models, one is perfect and the other is so badly distorted
I dont think it will ever straighten!

The box is only just big enough for the wing if its packed diagonally. It looks like the
bad ones had been taken out of the box for a gander and then 'repacked' wrongly.

Good job its only me, if someone had bought this for a kids birthday he would have
been very disappointed!

Cheers
Phil

Thread: Safe model retrieval
10/03/2017 17:07:10
Posted by john stones 1 on 10/03/2017 16:30:15:

Methinks some think too much...apply common sense n get on with it, if you're at field on your own, the rules irrelevant.

John

You'd think so John and I'd totally agree but at Ponty rulez is rulez wink

Edited By Phil Green on 10/03/2017 17:54:34

10/03/2017 16:23:32

A few thoughts,
pretty much all the discussion here has centred around A and B test practises.
On any Sunday morning you might often be on your own down a the field, so theres no-one to hand the tx to.
If your club rules prevent you taking the tranny with you, a clause that says " The transmitter should not be laid on the ground" is bad as the only remaining option is to stand it upright where it will surely fall over.
Conversely laying a tranny on the ground could drop the signal to a level where the link is lost or intermittent. In either case, you're not in control. The only sensible option I can see is to take the tranny with you to collect the model. PANDAS rules allow this, but only for 2.4 which makes no sense to me, the risk is the same, and theres no valid technical reason why the rule should be band-dependent. Its decades since adjacent channel rejection was even a consideration smiley

Cheers
Phil

10/03/2017 10:01:08

PANDAS ruling for 2.4 is to take your tranny with you.
Its dangerous to leave a tranny behind whilst an electric model is still live on the strip.
You need to be in control at all times, not 50 yards from the tranny when it falls over
and opens the throttle!

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 10/03/2017 10:02:53

Thread: FMS Alpha Jet 2ch R/C conversion for PSS
08/03/2017 22:35:47
Posted by Matt Jones on 08/03/2017 22:04:25:
So much for having an original idea and something different...

I'm always chuffed to bits if someone has a go at one of my projects Matt

08/03/2017 18:55:58

Wouldnt you know!

Just had an email from Wheelspin "your order has been dispatched"

So, one powered, one aileron sloper, and one rudder-only ?

Cheers
Phil

08/03/2017 18:44:02

Thanks lads, ordered one from Arrow (were they the Scarborough LMS that recently closed?)

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 11/03/2017 22:56:23

Thread: The BPC
08/03/2017 12:11:44
Posted by kc on 08/03/2017 11:42:57:

Can't we use plain English?
if you mean Basic Proficiency Certificate then say so

I deliberately didnt kc, to see who else was as unaware as myself thumbsup.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues