By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ChrisB

Here is a list of all the postings ChrisB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Club Facilities
23/05/2018 11:15:13

Hi folks. We’re looking at buying one as itll be cheaper than renting in the long term. Serving is about £30 and would only be needed half a dozen times a year at most.

Some ebay bargains are a bit too well used and most are a long way from us on the Warwickshire area, so collection would be costly.

Ideally an ex-hire unit would be best. We cant use a composting or camping type due to landlord and locational limitations, so a conventional portaloo is the only option.

I wondered where other clubs have sourced such units from?

22/05/2018 21:19:48
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 22/05/2018 21:01:44:

Probably cheapest to stay traditional, a bucket, a spade, a couple of canes and a PVC sheet

Sadly...or luckily... we can't use the traditional method due to location.

Thread: Spring 2018 is here...been flying?
22/05/2018 20:49:02

We had a club bungee gliding event on Saturday with BBQ, and drinks etc. 24 out of 80 members attended and many remained after the event to do some conventional flying.

I was at the field from 8 til 8 on both Saturday and Sunday and had about 20 flights throughout the weekend. Flat calm and sunny! The best weekend in a long time!!

Thread: Club Facilities
22/05/2018 20:38:19

I'm doing some research into getting a portaloo for our club. Renting one is an expensive game long-term, so I've thought about buying one. The problem is that buying something worth having is proving a challenge.

Does anyone know of anywhere, ideally in the midlands, that sells decent quality used chemical toilets? Are any clubs looking to sell theirs that we could buy?

I'm sure i'll get to the bottom of it in the end!

CB

Thread: Mowing
14/05/2018 13:39:05

Ours is a rear discharge hence the lines. I knew it would leave lines when we bought it and having coped up til now. I had wondered about fashioning something like a rake or push cylinder mower to tow behind somehow. Alternatively i’ll try a sweeper without the net

14/05/2018 10:15:46

Thanks Stu. As you say, its alway a challenge with rotary mowers. I cut it yesterday, after only 5 days since the last time and the grass was 2 or 3 inches think in tramlines.

My hope was that the brushes would disperse the grass somewhat!

Thread: Honda Field.
14/05/2018 09:44:52

Clamp and a £300 release fee!

Thread: Mowing
14/05/2018 09:28:00

I do the mowing at the club and currently have to go over the cut grass with the deck raised to help scatter the grass and remove the tramlines, this adds time and uses more fuel.

Has anyone used a tow behind leaf/lawn sweeper and are they any good? I dont intend to collect the grass, just to scatter.

CB

Thread: Flyaway model, what would you do?
05/04/2018 20:21:49

Many years ago, a clubmate took off with his extra 300 and after doing some mild aerobatics he shouted that he'd lost it. The model started climbing in knife edge, the YS110 roaring away, fish-tailing as it went. It go to about 1000ft at which point the canopy came off and the plane started to descend and disappeared. About an hour later we found the model 3/4 of a mile away. Safe to say everything was destroyed including the engine.

It turns out the receiver battery broke loose of its mount and disconnected itself from the receiver, leaving the engine YS 110 glow engine to carry on. Of course, in this instance the failsafe couldn't activate, as there was no power. The moral of the story is to secure your battery and use a lead lock.

05/04/2018 12:52:35
Posted by Old Geezer on 05/04/2018 00:15:03:

I guess, assuming the plane was set up with fail-safe, the correct decision would be to switch off the Tx. That would be 'Best Practice' - the outcome might have been exactly the same - but It's less likely blame could be attributed to someone whose actions in the circumstances were 'Best Practice'.

I’d never advocate the above. I’d always keep trying to fly the plane all the way down to the ground.

Thread: Radio 35meg
05/04/2018 12:48:59

Nothing wrong with 35meg. Works perfectly well provided frequency control is observed. I fly a combination of spektrum Dx9 and JR9x 35

Thread: Bomb Dropping from my Super 60
26/03/2018 21:12:32

I don't wish to alarmist and I have a P47 with HK bomb releases. BUT is it wise to have a thread discussing this theme, given the likely sensitivities by certain 'authorities' or clandestine activities. More perception than reality of course.

26/03/2018 14:42:35

as long at it’s done safely and in a controlled environment it’s fine. If it’s done in a silly manner and with added extras like water or flour or blanks etc then it becomes an issue.

Thread: Differences between models ?
26/03/2018 14:36:04

Dry means without a battery.

The best option is to join your local club as it will be one of their members who will be teaching you and it’s highly likely that they will use something called a buddy lead which connects two transmitters together and allows the instructor two give you control via a deadmans switch, thus he can take control more easily. However, you can only use the same make transmitter so they’ll talk to one another. Therefore the make you get will usually be determined by your instructor, unless you want to buy two transmitters and a lead that is.

If you visit bmfa.org you’ll be able to find your nearest club.

Thread: Dangers of methanol
20/03/2018 22:42:30

Next time I go flying I’ll be sure not to drink the fuel and instead I’ll use it in the engine.wink

Thread: Newbie Builder
15/03/2018 21:56:27

DB Sport and Scale kits

Thread: Defibrillators
15/03/2018 12:59:48

Thanks. We are looking at getting some training but I wondered if Defibs were becoming more common at flying sites?

Edited By ChrisB on 15/03/2018 13:00:18

Thread: Low wing recommendation
14/03/2018 13:06:47

Acrowot, either kit or ARTF

Thread: SOLARTEX
14/03/2018 13:04:38

Any news on when the online site will be open? It’s been several weeks now.

Thread: Tyre wear
14/03/2018 12:55:21

Also be aware of your cars jack points and style of jack points. Many modern cars use seam/sill points and not pads. This can result in crushing as the weight of the car is taken on a narrow surface area. The grease monkeys often don’t care and just merrily jack away then deny all knowledge afterwards. Some hockey pucks with cut outs or blocks of wood will help.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues