By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon P

Here is a list of all the postings Simon P has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
07/12/2017 20:18:31

Maybe I am missing some sarcasm but that is a Top Flite Taurus kit in what he claims is mint condition. It isn't worth £400 but they sell for over £200 in the USA. Add postage and taxes if you were to buy one from there and you are easily pushing £300. Also why is the fella above shouting about £16 postage for what is going to be quite a large and valuable parcel. If you haven't noticed almost all kits on eBay ask for £15 postage or thereabouts because that is what it costs.

This thread has its place and I too have shared a few silly examples I found but very occasionally I wonder what the deal is with you folks. I don't see why the Taurus seller is getting slammed so hard. His buy it now is mispriced slightly but he also allows bidding starting at just £75.

No, I am not the seller and no I am not going to bid on it.

Edited By Simon P on 07/12/2017 20:19:14

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
07/12/2017 18:02:37

Thanks for the compliments regarding my Q-Tee.

Wow Paul, that Waco is really beautiful. I love the in flight shots. That's what I wanted for my Q-Tee but my 4 year old son's photography skills weren't quite up to the task. Hehe.

Thread: RM Trainer
07/12/2017 11:19:38

I am very glad to see one of these being built. You might recognise my name on the outerzone credits. I bought the magazines some time ago and still intend to build one for myself. I was originally inspired by this video of an electric one on Andrew Shering's youtube channel. A few months after I found this video the very same model showed up on eBay for just £60 all electronics included. It was understandably collection only and I decided I'd rather build one myself instead of driving. I have been kicking myself for that decision ever since because I still haven't gotten around to it.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
02/12/2017 11:46:36

Very nice Ken! Love those vintage curves.

Here is my latest effort. It is a scratch built Airtronics Q-Tee. Started with a downloaded plan then redraw everything in 3D on the computer including motor, servo and all linkages to perfect the fits and dimensions. Then I used my CNC router to cut myself a kit. For various reasons this has been nearly 3 years in the making but it is finally flying.

CAD DesignedObligatory Balsa BonesReady to Fly Q-teeCovered Q-Tee

Thread: Paramotor / Paraglider Design YOU can build with plans!
09/04/2017 07:32:02

This is a great idea for a project and thank you for sharing it with us. You've got me checking out our sewing machine.

Thread: 3D design
18/01/2017 19:06:12

Fellow hobby level CAD user here (CNC router). I also began and have done most of my work in Rhino but have also begun to experiment with fusion 360. It's a steep learning curve all over again but appears slightly more 'engineer' friendly than Rhino. Fusion 360 has elements of parametric modelling so, for example, you can scale things and make design alterations and other parts that are affected by the change will automatically adjust to compensate provided you've provided them with a basic set of rules to follow.

Thread: JR closing down?
02/01/2017 19:39:49

This thread is a bit over the top fellas, from the over egging of JRs pause in hobby related development ('cause that is all it is in fact - read the note on their website) to the personal attacks upon BEB who, I am sure, is capable of defending himself but why the heck should he have to in exchange for expressing his personal opinion sarcastic

As an XG8 owner reading this thread this morning made me quite upset thinking that they'd halted production but now that I have distilled the facts I am quite alright with the situation. Receivers and transmitters will continue to be made and sold and that's all that really matters. Anyone who doesn't fly JR radio or want one shouldn't give a hoot about this change.

11/08/2016 18:41:38

I saw that engine this morning too. I have trawled eBay enough to have seen plenty of insanely overpriced items like that engine. What surprises me most is that every now and then something like that will actually sell.

I came here to post something from the other side of this particular coin. I'd like to know what is so special about this pair of 1/2a size propellers that two buyers will bid this high so early on? It doesn't look like the usual modus operandi or outcome of two bidders deciding to trump one another with a single huge bid. Similar has happened on another pair of the same propellers. As far as I know these props were still being sold by brodak in the states until very recently.

Edited By Simon P on 11/08/2016 18:54:51

Thread: Where to find butyrate dope in the UK, 2016
04/08/2016 23:03:08

Thanks Andrew, I discovered them tonight and have been toying with various product combos since then, I should have updated the thread.

04/08/2016 18:02:51

Erflog, butyrate dope is glow fuel resistant (note, not fuel proof), whereas nitrate is only good against diesel. None of them are particularly good against fuel compared to things like klasskote epoxy but I particularly want to dry a doped finish.

Thanks for the info regarding the 5 star butyrate, even if it were available maybe I should steer clear. I prefer a product that does what it says on the tin!

04/08/2016 12:01:04

I am keen to try my hand at a traditional silk and dope finish so would like a small amount of clear butyrate dope with which to experiment. The trouble is shop4glue / fivestar haven't answered me in weeks and their website says their mail order side is closed until late 2015!? Other sources are aimed at full size aircraft with quantities to match.

My ideal would be to find a source for SIG dope products in the UK. I have, of course, used the HMG products but as far as I'm aware they're exclusively nitrate based dopes.

Any pointers would be appreciated,

Simon

Edited By Simon P on 04/08/2016 12:06:20

Thread: DuBro valve spout
09/07/2016 06:45:12

Suspect the issue is you were searching for dubro. The brand is valvespout.

Thread: David Platt DVDs
06/06/2016 22:50:50

That is very usefuf info, thank you BEB. Saves me a bit of hassle being able to order locally.

06/06/2016 22:05:50

That's good news, and did you order direct from David? Thanks

06/06/2016 21:35:48

I am interested in David Platt's DVDs covering his use of silk, silkspan, polyspan, etc and his use of klass kote. His DVDs are available to purchase from the USA but I can't find even the merest of previews and therefore don't know if they'd be any good for someone who has previously covered with lightweight tissue and iron on films.

Does anyone have any experience with his videos, have they helped you?

Thanks,
Simon

Edited By Simon P on 06/06/2016 21:37:32

Thread: Bird Of Time
03/09/2015 08:11:50

Had to have a good look around the net to find out what we're talking about here (it's for sale on eBay) but in my opinion his price of £150 seems about right, maybe a bit low! Probably around cost price if Wiltshire Flyer used cheap electronics and covering! Definitely far below cost price if we include Wiltshire Flyer's labour or the electronics are even halfway decent.

He is asking for the same price as the ARF bird of time from Great Planes but, in addition, his offering has been converted to a motor glider, comes with radio equipment and a motor and a nice balsa fuselage instead of the unreasonably heavy fibreglass fuselage that comes with the ARF. Wiltshire Flyer's offering also has a unique covering scheme.

This sort of unecessary mithering really is enough to drive good people mad. Certainly, in this case, I'd let the market decide if the fella's got his pricing right.

EDIT: This is to say nothing at all of the potential eBay and paypal fees!

Edited By Simon P on 03/09/2015 08:17:32

30/08/2015 21:15:12

Someone's been watching too much antique's roadshow ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/veron-impala-glider-kit-/151796052156

Edited By Simon P on 30/08/2015 21:15:44

Thread: Hobbyking UK
30/08/2015 18:43:49

The local economy for small online purchases truly is in trouble if even Hobbyking can't post for less than a fiver!

I recently bought dubro control horns from the USA at a unit cost of £1.34 per pack of 2. That includes the postage from the USA! I was already below the UK cost without even factoring UK postage at 1 unit but decided to buy 3 because their 1/2a horns aren't available here.

I have discovered the same economics are true of the lego / duplo we are buying for our son. It is far, far cheaper to buy the same lego products from Europe than it is to buy locally even after international postage is factored in.

In both these examples the international price including postage was cheaper than the UK price excluding postage.

Edited By Simon P on 30/08/2015 18:44:56

Thread: Deluxe Speed Poxy II - Do you like it?
28/08/2015 21:17:06

I think I have my answer regarding why Speed Epoxy is always slightly more expensive. IMHO It is just a marketing technique to seed doubt in the customer's mind that if he doesn't pay that extra then he is not getting the best product. It's simply a cunning way setting a commodity apart from it's competitors while at the same time increasing profit margin. I came to this conclusion after reading the Ripmax trade catalog from August 2013 wherein it is revealed that the trade price of 20 minute Speed Epoxy II is £7.99 whereas the retail price is £13.99, a 75% markup. Obviously they're generally even more expensive now. Unfortunately I cannot find information on the Zap products markup for the same period but it's probably similar. To cut a long story short, my opinion is that these epoxies are commodities, that is there isn't much to set them apart so they're using price.

28/08/2015 21:03:28

It is accepted practice to use epoxy for the firewall on a fuel powered model, other adhesives not being fuel resistant enough. Aliphatic is certainly not a panacea, for instance you'll not find a better adhesive than epoxy with which to form micro balloon fillets. I am sure there are also other situations where it's the best for the job despite it's short comings but I agree that it should be kept to just those jobs, not used for every joint. I am also primarily a Aliphatic user for wood to wood joints, others may use CA but that is a totally different subject.

I have, in the past, used laminating resin as an adhesive epoxy both with and without a thixotropic agent depending on the situation but it is not best suited to the job. Much better to use one of the commonly available hobby epoxies that are designed as adhesives and set tough and slightly flexible in my opinion. That is the reason for my question.

EDIT: ... and to find out why Deluxe's 20 minute epoxy is always slightly more expensive than 30 minute Z-Poxy. Just curious really. I thought there might just be something that set them apart but can't find any major differences in the marketing claims.

Edited By Simon P on 28/08/2015 21:07:52

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues