By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon - Laser Engines

Here is a list of all the postings Jon - Laser Engines has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
17/03/2018 19:39:12

Guvnor I'm not exactly sure what you want from me?

I regret that the situation is exactly as I described in the quoted notice.

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 17/03/2018 19:39:41

Thread: Stephen Hawking - RIP
14/03/2018 08:32:26

Heard about it on the radio. Sad news indeed

Thread: New ASP .25 or second hand OS engine
12/03/2018 23:12:52

probably not, which model is it you are powering exactly?

12/03/2018 19:18:12

2nd hand engines are a lottery. you can get a great deal or a steaming pile.

Given the price of the new engine and the fact that you are looking to gain confidence with ic I would go for the new motor. The last thing you need is to be asking yourself if its not working because of something you did or because its got its own problems.

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
12/03/2018 09:17:29
Posted by bert baker on 11/03/2018 22:45:42:

Hmm, just been there

I always say that you dont own any model until its got your blood on it!

Im looking forward to the summer too. My fleet is ready, im ready, i just need to weather to be ready!

Do we have any more for the stampede at WW? We had 5 at last count didnt we? it would be nice if we could find a few more.

Thread: AirSail Piper Tomahawk restoration
12/03/2018 09:15:30

Steven, thanks for that. I thought i had a dim memory of him using the forum. I will try and track him down.

Nigel, yeaa i just couldnt bring myself to throw it away. It got to the point where it was bin it or use it time though as it was only going to degrade further up in the rafters. I have to say though i was really impressed with how well it survived as very little was needed beyond cosmetic repairs.

11/03/2018 22:55:49

Time for a little story.

Way back in 2005 I turned 20 and for my birthday I received the Airsail Piper Tomahawk kit I had asked for. Built and flown within a year and powered with an OS 52 it served me well for 3 or 4 years until a landing accident cracked the canopy.

I forget the exact details, but Airsail had either stopped trading by this time or I wasn't able to fathom getting a new canopy from New Zealand. As I didn't fancy flying it as a convertible the model was mothballed while I decided what to do. After a while I tried to sell it but didn't have any joy so it sat unloved in the rafters of the garage with the engine removed and then sold off.

A few years ago I by chance mentioned the model to the chap who had acquired the rights to Airsail's products and he sent me an imperfect canopy that had been in with all the stuff he got. While dented it was more than good enough for what I wanted to do.

Given the weather has been so awful this winter I have been deep into sorting out all my models and I decided that the Tomahawks time had come. I repaired and repainted the cracked abs cowling, replaced the missing servos and fitted an enya 53 in place of the old OS. I also cleared off the years of accumulated dust and found the old solarfilm had survived totally intact even if it was a little yellowed on the white areas.

So, after a little work its all back together and looking almost as good as new. I wish I could remember the name of the guy who sent me the canopy as I couldn't have done it without his help and would like to thank him. hopefully someone can direct him to this post.

Here she is sat ready for the weather to cheer up!

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 11/03/2018 22:57:19

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
11/03/2018 22:23:41

comes in handy for accidents!

11/03/2018 21:22:42

very small piece of news, I finally finished repairing the cowl on my stampe! After its many adventures it was damaged and repainted last winter but I never got around to putting the stripes back on. With this winter's weather being so hopeless for flying I have been very busy on maintenance and hey presto, the stampe cowl has its stripes back

stampe cowl.jpg

Thread: Laser 80 on eBay
10/03/2018 19:35:55

the engine in question was made between 1995 and 1999 but looks in good nick.

As for availability this year has been pretty good so far for the singles. but dont expect much out of me this month as we finally started our factory move on Thursday so we are effectively closed completely until april while we sort ourselves out.

Moving 5 ton machines is not a job to be rushed

Thread: throttle problem
10/03/2018 13:59:22

Sounds like the esc needs to be taught the throttle positions. There should be a programming mode you can enter where you set the minimum/max throttle positions.

09/03/2018 23:14:12

great to hear Rocker. You will have to get a video

09/03/2018 18:58:28

14oz to as large as you like! 16 is a good shout though, but its worth figuring out what you have before getting anything new

I'm surprised though as modern artfs seem to come with huge tanks, unless it was aimed at petrol.

How is the WWXL with the 180 by the way?

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 09/03/2018 18:59:14

Thread: Seagull P40 - weak bulkhead / poor design
09/03/2018 08:43:41

Full size P40's had their wheels almost directly on the leading edge and had a small forward rake. THis is not replicated very well on most models.

As for c/g, most are conservative to prevent a super sensitive model on the maiden. These days i tend to ignore the instructions for c/g and control movements as i find they normally recommend way too much movement, especially on elevator, and find the cg too far forward which makes the spinner a vital part of the landing gear!

08/03/2018 16:08:30
Posted by Don Fry on 08/03/2018 15:08:36:

Thank you Jon. I thought it was not for me. As an aside, from what year do you support the new low oil regime on your engines.

errr hadnt really though about it. In terms of the construction materials they have not changed since 92 so in theory everything from then on should behave the same.

The problem is if someone digs out an old engine thats been sat for a while, or even some old nail that is completely ruined and looks like its been deep fried, they may have their oil ways blocked by castor deposits and this could be a road to disaster. Again, its impossible for me to test and if i say its fine, then their castor encrusted conrod melts because is so gummed up no new oil gets in then im in the poop even though its technically not my fault due to the state of the engine.

In the interests of simplicity, any engine from 2012 onwards will be covered under the warranty if run on 10% ML70 or klotz KL200 techniplate oil. Anything outside of that should be fine but i cant test it and wont warranty it.

As i have said before im pretty sure our current engines will be fine on 5% oil and i will be testing that more through this year.

08/03/2018 13:53:08
Posted by Don Fry on 08/03/2018 12:32:42:

I'm looking at a engine on eBay, claiming it to be a Laser 155. It has 2 screws on the rocker cover, and one of the purple anodised carbs (Irvine?).

Am I correct in my deduction this would be a 150, circa 2002-06

Correct. The exhaust and rocker cover look to have been 'doctored' with a wire brush which is cause for concern. Usually this is to mask castor build up.

Those irvine carbs used to wear as well. worst case it needs a service, carb and an exhaust not coked up with castor you are looking at about £140 for that little lot (assuming you return it to me for the work). Or you might be ok and its a runner as is. Even if it is a runner i think the price is optimistic for an engine that is at least 12 years old and is an unknown quantity to anyone looking at it.

Thread: Balsa USA Sopwith Pup 1/6 scale
08/03/2018 10:26:19

If you build a simple tray for the tank to sit on you can then cable tie it to said tray with some foam under the cable ties. Dont forget the fuel proof all of the inside before building yourself into a corner

Thread: Seagull Dual Ace Laser Build
05/03/2018 08:58:57
Posted by Chris Walby on 05/03/2018 08:46:54:

Once its all glued up and the engines mounted I'll look to mount the micro servos behind the carb/in front of the tank.

Cheers guys and thanks for the help

Edited By Chris Walby on 05/03/2018 08:50:01

Good idea Chris but make sure you use the best servos you can. i have done this a few times and little HS55 types really dont cut it. The heat/vibration/oil kills them off pretty fast so get something good. You might even have space there for a full size servo so if you do i would use one of those. Its worth the effort as one throttle servo on my old twin scorpion suffered from the jitters on its way to the grave and that made for an exciting takeoff!

01/03/2018 11:05:18

I have noticed that many models come with wing bolts that are way too long. Its not an issue as they are easier to shorten than lengthen!

Models with 2 piece wings wind me up too. I just find them such a faff to assemble

Thread: Flair fokker dr1 plans
28/02/2018 18:22:19

i agree with Don to some degree. The flair models are not going to win you any scale champs but they can most certainly be used as a basis for some improvements. Most casual observers will not notice the deviations from scale so they are well worth the extra effort and it will be immediately apparent what they are.

Anyway I might have a set of plans for the smaller model hidden away somewhere as my dad used to have one. If they are still around and I can find them I will let you know

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues