By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Manuel

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Manuel has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Recommend a M/R for some OLD lads to have a dabble
19/07/2017 22:13:20

Hi FF.

Not familiar with LibraPilot as we are all on either BetaFlight or CleanFlight.

It definitely looks like your PID settings causing the problem. There are plenty of videos on Youtube showing how to approach PID setting in a logical way, which should sort your problem out. Alternatively, try updating your firmware to BetaFlight and leave the PIDs at their default values.

Take note, that CC3D cards are a little more troublesome to set up with BetaFlight than F3 cards. I did set one quad up with CC3D and had a bit of trouble - power to FC and USB lead needs to be disconnected and reconnected in a particular order after each reboot as I recall. Google, Github and YouTube have lots of info on how to get round any problems you may encounter.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 19/07/2017 22:22:34

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
18/07/2017 11:55:42
Posted by Peter Miller on 18/07/2017 11:48:34:

This is great!!!

**LINK**

Brilliant.

I still have tears in my eyes from laughing..

If only all adverts were as funny as this.

Thread: Confirmed IC'ers look away
02/07/2017 22:10:55

60 miles range ...... It has the same limitations as electric cars.

I/C's are safe for a while methinks.

Edit - Siemens are a good forward thinking company though and I'm sure they'll improve on it.

I worked for them up until I retired a couple of years ago.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 02/07/2017 22:13:37

Thread: Redundancy in larger models?
12/06/2017 20:04:35

Careful, because receiver batteries will discharge to the point of destruction if left connected via FETs for long periods of time.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 12/06/2017 20:24:43

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
31/05/2017 22:44:17
Posted by Shaunie on 31/05/2017 22:29:57:

I went to the Doctor because my throat felt like I had a fish slice stuck down it. He thinks I've got Utensilitis!

Shaunie.

The treatment for it that he gave you on your last visit (bottom of previous page) didn't work then Shaunie? wink

Thread: Looking for multi output pulse charger
07/05/2017 17:30:48

Neil,

I charge my NiMh's up on my Ripmax Pro Peak 4, when I get back from flying and then just give them quick inspection and a battery top-up on the morning before I leave. Usually done in less than an hour even if they have been left for many months.

Electric powered models are a different kettle of fish. Something like THIS or THIS are ideal as they allow 4 batteries to be charged at once - note that a DC power supply and balance leads are also needed with these, but they do allow you to charge at the field from a car battery etc.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 07/05/2017 17:32:29

07/05/2017 09:13:02

Hi Neil,

I have been using one of THESE for years, for all my NiMh charging (apart from the initial from-new charge), including my transmitters.

Never had a problem.

Thread: Can I use end point to limit max power
05/05/2017 22:10:30

Here's my opinion:

Don't change anything - just don't push the stick all the way to the top.

A little extra power is always handy to have in reserve.

Thread: How to connect a solenoid to a receiver?
04/05/2017 23:50:38

Yes Sam, the receiver controlled switch will work as long as you are happy to reset the solenoid mechanically rather than reversing the polarity and doing it electrically.

May I suggest assigning the transmitter channel that operates the solenoid to a spring loaded switch? This will ensure that the solenoid only remains energised as long as you are pushing the spring loaded switch.

04/05/2017 14:46:30

Sam,

The polarity reversing circuit I was thinking of is the one that Ben B has produced above. The receiver controlled switch would be used to switch the voltage at terminals A and B in the sketch (using a 6v supply / relay). Voltage applied to A/B would then energise the solenoid one way, and removing the voltage would energise the solenoid the other way.

One problem you still have with this arrangement is that clause (ii) and Fig 1 in the instructions for your solenoid show that the 5W version has a maximum pulse duration of about 5 seconds (unclear but I think that's what it shows). This is the maximum time that you can apply either normal or reverse voltage to the solenoid for. I'm sure that it would be possible to design a pulse shaping circuit that removes the voltage after a short pulse but this is now getting a bit complex.

There might also be a problem with the solenoid you have, if it is not operating by either a normal or reverse polarity supply. It should clunk / latch one way as soon as you apply a voltage, and clunk / latch the other way if you reverse it. If it's not doing this, it looks like you have a duff solenoid - maybe caused be leaving the pulse on for longer than the maximum time shown in the data sheet?

A non latching solenoid driven directly from a receiver controlled switch, or the servo controlled tow release arrangement might be a better idea.

Edit, some of the points I have made here have already been made in the time it took me to type it.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 04/05/2017 14:48:30

04/05/2017 12:13:24

Sam,

I'm not sure whether you are aware, but the solenoid you are using is a LATCHING type - i.e. it stays in the last position you energise it to. Normal polarity energises it and reverse polarity de-energises it. Try reversing the polarity of the supply to confirm this - then normal polarity again to latch it the other way - it should latch one way then the other.

In order to operate this particular solenoid from a receiver, you will need a RELAY operated by a receiver controlled switch as suggested above, with at least 2 changeover contacts to provide a polarity reversing circuit. Shout up if you are not sure what I'm on about or need a circuit diagram sketching.

Thread: Spinners
25/04/2017 10:59:30

Good call Bob.

I didn't know about them. That's exactly what's needed.

May be buying one or two of them myself (Saito 82 and 150 with similar issues).

25/04/2017 09:28:54

John,

Depending on the thickness of your propeller, you may need to omit the special Saito Locknut to get the adapter on far enough. The adapter will act as a lock nut of sorts though.

Thread: Dual elevator servos and flap mix - AAARRGGGHHH !
18/04/2017 21:34:29

Yes - what Dave and Steve said - not sure about default channel though - I think you can assign any un-assigned channel as the slave.

You'll know when it's right because the 2 elevator halves appear as "RELE" and "LELE" in menus / monitor screen.

Thread: Recommend a M/R for some OLD lads to have a dabble
18/04/2017 21:25:37

I predict you'll be standing on the flight line with hands in pocket, pretending to be flying your quad for the team photograph - again wink

Can't wait for another go. Might be even more of us next week.

Thread: Irresponsible ' drone' retailers
17/04/2017 20:32:19
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 17/04/2017 20:23:38:

Thank you for the clarification John, I will be taking the ANO to bed with me tonight, - well it beats counting sheep!

Yep - ANO is much better than counting sheep for sending you into a deep slumber ...

Thread: film covering peeling away
17/04/2017 20:19:18

Iron the overlapping bit, taking care not to apply too much heat and shrink the covering.

Then apply clear nail varnish or fuel proofer over the edge of the film to prevent it lifting.

Thread: Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300
17/04/2017 20:14:01

Rich

You are more than capable of trimming 20mm off the front end and whatever else it takes to fit the engine of your choice. If you compromise on the engine, you'll regret it later.

Thread: Thunder Tiger 35% Extra 260 Build Blog
10/04/2017 18:46:29

The one I've put on is probably not much better.

On the lookout for a decent 40mm diameter one wink

10/04/2017 16:37:07

I flew the Extra several times at the weekend. The wires appear to have held the silencers on, but I'll keep monitoring the situation and fit self tappers if it ever moves.

One little problem I did have is that the tail wheel lost it's tire at some point. The tire must have actually split in 2 as that is the only way it could break free from the wheel / brackets, which would have held an intact tire captive.

I suspect that the cause of this was that the tail wheel was turning too much when rudder was applied while taxiing, causing the tyre to be ripped off the side of the wheel. Rudder stick at half way would apply full lock to the steerable wheel. Any further rudder movement was taken up by the springs.

The excess movement of the tailwheel was because the control arm was relatively short compared to the rudder control arm. I have now made a longer control arm for the tail wheel which is roughly the same length as the rudder control arms.

This photo shows the new arm fitted, compared with the old one.

dscn5452.jpg

This photo shows the rudder (top of picture) at full throw with the tail wheel turned at roughly the same angle.

It also shows that the tail wheel tire would need to split in half to escape.

dscn5453.jpg

Edited By Gary Manuel on 10/04/2017 16:37:46

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
SHREK
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us