By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Harrison 2

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Harrison 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DB Tiger Moth 58"
09/04/2018 20:21:50

Percy, thanks - I should have thought of contacting DB directly, since I believe they have a reputation for helpfulness.

Dave, great advice, thanks - the instructions & plans are in places rather short on detail, such as in this case! Yes, I'd sort of deduced that part #150 was probably to position those servo bearers correctly - but again, I see nothing in the instructions to do with servo mounting... It was probably assumed by DB that this kit would be built by modellers more experienced than me... I have plenty of 6mm balsa, will use that - hardly any of the strip balsa in this kit is identified with a part number. Did you build yours for electric, or i/c? Mine will be electric, and there seem to be a few build write-ups here and elsewhere for that option.

rgds Tony

09/04/2018 16:41:19

I'm building this from a kit that someone else had started, just - the bits completed have been done very well indeed and I have no reason to believe any parts are missing. But I cannot locate part #150, rail[s] that fit together with parts #132 to form servo bearers. I can bluff my way through, but perhaps someone knows what part this is? I'm still fairly inexperienced at building, though I've completed a couple of traditional kits successfully.

Thanks - Tony

Thread: End for Maplins?
04/03/2018 15:05:32
Posted by Martin Harris on 04/03/2018 13:53:16:

I'd used Maplins.... over the years and as they expanded, they became less and less competitive with, in my opinion, a great deal of overpriced rubbish wasting valuable (i.e. expensive) retail space, often in awkward to access town centre premises.

Latter point: when Maplins opened (or perhaps it was relocated) their Exeter premises, quite a good sized shop, I was baffled by its location! Out of the town centre on Alphington Road, a very busy road with minimal footfall, an obscure little car park round the back that wasn't obvious to passing trade... Never had many other customers on my few visits. Big mistake by someone in management, I reckon.

04/03/2018 15:00:57
Posted by kc on 04/03/2018 14:12:40:

I don't think the only good Leica copies were British........Canon made some (branded Kwanon) and they were highly regarded especially the lenses. Nicca and also Tanak seem to have made decent copies too. The Fed were real copies originally and were fairly good. Zenith were fairly good as well.

Never heard the name Kwanon before, but I recall the Canon rangefinder cameras from late '50s to early '60s - seen a very few in former times, very good indeed, excellent lenses too, used IIRC and valued by reportage/war photographers. I wouldn't call them Leica copies though, different lines altogether - maybe this Kwanon was something else...

04/03/2018 12:12:33
Posted by kc on 04/03/2018 11:19:09:

The lenses of post war British cameras were actually better than the German in some cases. Taylor,Taylor Hobson on the Reid................[snip]...........

Tony, were the Reids made only from war reperation equip? I thought they started making them during WW2 as Leica were obviously not available.but needed.

kc, agreed - the UK optical industry was and possibly still is very advanced for industrial purposes, but for various reasons this did not extend into consumer goods such as cameras after WW2 - or the 1950s. My first enlarging lens was a Reid, bought s/h very cheaply, and it was excellent, at least as good as the Rokkor & Nikkors I owned subsequently.

My reference to those Reid cameras relies on information I discovered at the time about war-reparations kit taken from Germany - this was the early '70s and I knew people with long and expert knowledge of such things. I have no idea whether these started to be made during WW2, though obviously we had a large and advanced camera/optical industry then so it's clearly possible. But anyone who's handled a Reid III sees immediately that it's almost identical to a late-model Leica III... Lovely camera, wish I had one.

Your reference to coatings: yes, and my very first 35mm SLR was a 1940s vintage Exakta of advanced specification - far more camera than I needed, and it wasn't in good shape! An excellent camera - but the lens was rubbish, a f1.9 Primoplan (IIRC), very fast for its day but with little or no coating! Hopelessly prone to flare, and rubbish with colour film. I swapped it for a Praktica Nova II, f2.8 Domiplan lens, E.German, cheap 'n' cheerful, far better than anything made in Russia. Around 12-15 years ago I dug out some b/w negs shot with it and scanned them: one shot, taken at a big rock festival in 1970, made one of my best-ever stock image sales, $800, used on the cover of some European IT company's annual report! Vastly more money than the camera cost originally... There you go.

04/03/2018 10:51:52
Posted by Denis Watkins on 04/03/2018 10:18:32:

The Russians did copy the Leica, with the FED, but using German optics meant it was a class act, despite being a relatively rough copy

I still use my Practica JR, they are making a comeback

Pictures were a bit more " considered " when you knew that you had only 24 or 36 frames to go.

Now we can click clack 500 digital off over Barkston weekend

The Fed [think it was "Fed 4L"] was only a very general sort of copy, in the simplest terms, of the Leica. It could never, ever be considered in the same breath as a Leica. The glass (think it was Soviet not E.German) could be quite good for a cheap camera, but quality control on Soviet stuff was very bad indeed, quite apart from shortcomings in manufacture.

The only genuine high-quality copies of the Leica were made in England! Check out the Reid III, built here using machinery seized from Germany as war reparations: fitted as standard with a Ross (or maybe a TTH?) lens that was itself a copy of the original Leitz glass, it was as least as good as the original - and some thought even slightly better... I handled quite a few back in the '70s, wish I'd bought one and kept it, beautiful cameras.

I'm a professional and believe me, pictures are just as "considered" now as when using film! I went 100% digital around 13 years ago, after moving slowly into it over the preceding 2-3 years. Unlike a very few (mostly non-pros) I am not nostalgic for film at all, though in a way it's a shame to have lost so many craft skills associated with it.

Edited By Tony Harrison 2 on 04/03/2018 10:52:54

Edited By Tony Harrison 2 on 04/03/2018 10:53:19

04/03/2018 10:43:20
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 03/03/2018 17:48:00:

I too had a Zenit camera, a bit cheap and chunky but gave excellent results.

Can't resist commenting on this O/T though it might be: in a former life I was in retail management with Dixons, and we sold thousands (millions?) of Zenits. They were truly awful. If you and others had one that worked and kept working, well done! Rubbish materials and poorly asembled - remember, this was a product of the USSR, which built its weaponry well but consumer goods didn't matter... A very high proportion of Zenits sold used to come back, and were often chucked away instead of trying to repair them. Tat - like much other flimsy, ill conceived, badly made, overpriced stuff sold at the time by Dixons...

Re Maplins, I see others have recalled Tandy Shops - when that outfit closed, it was a loss, used to love wandering around and seeing all sorts of components and tools one just couldn't find elsewhere. To some extent Maplins filled this gap, especially for cool small tools. Clearly they took a wrong turn and over-reached themselves, tried to do/sell too many different things. Pity.

Thread: Getting Edgy
01/03/2018 20:45:33
Posted by cymaz on 01/03/2018 17:15:59:

I use these , ( not this exact shop though). Safe and secure, tape them up with gaffer tape so they don’t hurt the bin men

At £9.40 a go? Cripes... I use narrownose pliers, and stick used blades in an old 35mm film pot before dumping.

My SW blades just go into standard surgery-style handles, used for my other hobby of vivisecting traffic wardens.

Edited By Tony Harrison 2 on 01/03/2018 20:47:30

Thread: DB Tiger Moth 58" span
17/02/2018 13:09:52
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 17/02/2018 11:18:24:

Thanks, Tom. The Mew Gull was test flown in December and I'm waiting until it gets warmer to fly it more.

Tony, on reflection I think you may find a kv of 620 rpm/volt a bit slow. It will need either a big diameter prop or one with too much pitch for what is essentially a slow flying aircraft. Initially I flew my Tiggie on a 13x4 which made take off runs very short (lots of acceleration) but the 12x6 was better in the air and the take off was still quite short. Not very scientific but just how it seemed. I had current telemetry for the early flights to get a feel for the energy consumption; it's now fitted to Mew Gull for the same reason.

Anyway, feel free to ask about battery/motor installation. For a start, get the battery as far forward as possible - ideally under the motor (mine isn't) and plan the power train fitting as early as possible whilst you still have easy access to parts if they need to be modified.

Geoff

OK Geoff - I've recorded all your comments & advice for reference. Might get back to you sometime in the next year or so, as my build progresses.

rgds Tony

17/02/2018 09:41:22

Geoff, many thanks - I've noted your motor choices, and when my Moth is a bit further on I'll buy one or the other. I don't yet know enough about this business to appreciate the difference between those two versions of the Emax 3526, but for now your advice is appreciated. I'll finish my Moth as late/post WW2 RAF trainer N9498 as flown on its last ever UK flight by my uncle in August 1947, Aston Down to Sealand - where it was crated up and shipped to Burma...

rgds Tony

16/02/2018 21:00:57

Some while ago I bookmarked the very interesting thread about Terry Walters's electric-power DB Moth, from several years ago. I'm building one myself, and I wonder if his motor is still the best bet - or if there are alternatives. His was/is an Emax 4020: on the RC Life site they list an Emax GT4020/07 620KV 60A Brushless Outrunner Motor, which is I assume the same one.

rgds Tony

Thread: Lidl Sander
15/02/2018 09:58:38
Posted by Stuart Z on 15/02/2018 08:54:04:

Interesting, is there space for this? I think it would be a handy idea as I already have 125mm Velcro discs for my orbital sander. Where can you get the right size Velcro to enable an even disc to be cut so as to avoid balance issues on the shaft?

S

I've come across the Velcro system, but wouldn't it create a degree of squashiness? I'd want the disc to be rock solid, for clean squared-off sanded surfaces. A quick search on Ebay uncovered 125mm self-adhesive discs for sale, 400 grit, £4.89 for ten - that would do for a start though I'd like very fine grit too.

rgds Tony

09/02/2018 15:09:36

I'd been tempted by this item anyway, but the favourable opinions here persuaded me so I bought one Wednesday night - best time to be sure of picking up the Thursday special offers, shortly before they close the night before, with everything out on display already.

Haven't tried it yet, but forgive me if this has already been asked: what's the best source of 115mm sanding discs in various grades, preferably self-adhesive? Those supplied are too coarse for my purposes, and I'd like discs from 400 to 1200 grit.

Also picked up a couple of Lidl's garage/workshop large hooks etc for my new project of making the garage a vastly more comfortable and well-organised workshop (half the price of similar at B&Q or on Amazon); plus a couple of their LED ceiling lights, £36 the two compared with the £50 fluorescent I had planned to get from B&Q.

rgds Tony

05/02/2018 14:14:19
Posted by MaL on 05/02/2018 13:05:57:

Here is something for those of you still living in the UK...LIDL France has the sander on sale for €39.99.. thats about £5 more expensive than the price in the UK....Rip off Britain huhwink

It varies: on the whole prices in Lidl France are not dissimilar from those here, like many of the goods. Lidl's good value (by Brit standards) Baturrico wine from Catalonia is £4.95 here - in the French branch of Lidl I visit most often, it's under 3 Euros, excellent value. It's certainly "rip off" Britain in terms of booze! I buy a litre of J&B whisky there for two-thirds the UK price, and I only ever visited one country where booze was more expensive than here - Finland.

Thread: Paint masking Advice
05/02/2018 10:28:37

1. Good masking tape (I've tried lots) - Tamiya is very good, as already suggested, and I also recommend Frog tape - comes in two different degrees of tackiness. I use the yellow one, low tack, buy it at B&Q.

2. A fairly good soft-edge effect can be had using torn (not cut) newspaper: it's fairly crude, soft stuff (red-top tabloids are best!), cheap, easy to do...

rgds Tony

Thread: Please help newbie
04/02/2018 13:41:13
Posted by Percy Verance on 03/02/2018 22:58:15:

Firstly Tom, I'd urge you not to buy anything at all until you find out where your nearest club is situated. A few visits to such a club would help you through what seems something of a maze at the minute............. Going the club route can save you much time, trouble, money and frustration, as a registered club will have qualified Instructors to teach you at no cost to yourself........And again Tom, visting a club will provide you with a good idea what sort of equipment is the most popular, and why this is...............Advice and help are what you need most of all just now, and most model flyers and clubs will provide this for free!....

In principle you are of course correct, but in practice my own experience has not borne this out. 1. Practically everyone I spoke to when visiting (and joining) different clubs gave me differing advice, sometimes wildly so. 2. Instructors are sometimes available in theory but not in practice. 3. Flyers have hugely varied experience, preferences and prejudices (i/c v electric, gliders v 'planes, etc) and will swear blind that theirs is sound advice while that given by so-and-so at the other club down the road is complete nonsense....4. I visited one club where instruction seemed highly organised, but sadly everything else about the club seemed highly organised/disciplined to an alarming degree! Ve must heff diziplin, or zere vill be no order...

For those such as the OP, much personal research is called for, to start sorting out the good advice from the very bad, and to identify one's own preferences; you need to be very flexible indeed to be able to take advantage of any instruction help offered to you - ideally you should be retired and have no other commitments, not take holidays, and not spend time out of the country! Though re this latter, I've had most of my flying instruction in France, in part because the weather is far better and more predictable... I still have hopes of some instruction and enjoyment from Brit clubs with which I've made contact, but e.g. right now it's cold and very windy, lately it's rained all the time, and progress with local clubs can be very slow indeed...

Thread: Heater for my shed
21/01/2018 21:16:54
Posted by Glyn44 on 21/01/2018 17:51:51:

Maybe we just pick up sheds and move to warmer climes!

I'm part way there already, Glyn... But for my cold, damp English garage, having looked at all the door-insulation possibilities (and there are lots out there to see on the Web), I've decided that my garage deserves a new door anyway, so I'll just dump the old metal one and replace it with something in timber or GRP, fully insulated, draught-free too. Should be a good start to making my garage a better workshop! Need to cough up £900 - £1500 though...

rgds Tony

21/01/2018 16:58:35

Chris and Martin, I found your suggestions interesting. I've just been looking around, and on the Web there are a great many posts/articles on the subject of insulating garages, including variations on your suggestions. Maybe I won't give up on the garage just yet - though ideally I'd put up a large second garden shed as a workshop, if I can persuade my wife to get rid of the apple tree...

rgds Tony

21/01/2018 11:42:06
Posted by Colin Bernard on 20/01/2018 15:04:09:

Strange to hear of problems working in a garage.

I also use my uninsulated garage as a workshop. I have a cheap B&Q fan heater to provide instant warmth, and if I am going to be in there a while, then I switch on an oil filled radiator for background warmth.

This makes the garage quite toasty at the bench end!

Colin, I take your point, but you're not heating your uninsulated garage - just the air in it, temporarily and expensively! I could do the same as you, but apart from the inefficient use of electricity, I'd have to plan work sessions in advance - and I tend to take time out from doing other things as the mood takes me or when I can spare the time. My garage is built onto the house foundations on one side, shares a party wall (single blockwork) with my neighbour on the other; the back end is built directly into the steep slope on which my house stands, and apart from being uninsulated is not properly damp-proofed; the front end has a standard metal door. The ceiling has timber joists supporting chipboard with roofing felt on top. The floor is poured concrete. Any heat generated inside goes straight out again... As I say, transforming this into a comfortable workshop would be a major undertaking. When I'm in France I can work comfortably in my purpose-built workshop from March until autumn, for most of that period wearing shorts plus t-shirt, so I content myself with that thought! I hate our climate... But if you or anyone has a creative, original suggestion about how to improve my horrible garage cheaply & easily I'd be happy to learn something.

rgds Tony

20/01/2018 11:11:16

When in England my workshop is my garage, and it's impossible to heat - permanently (very) cold & damp more than half the year. Insulating and draft-proofing would be a major undertaking, cost a lot, and the results uncertain. Can hardly bring myself to work in there at this time of year, certainly for no more than half an hour. Sigh...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues