By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for McG 6969

Here is a list of all the postings McG 6969 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 2018 Mass Build - Voting Thread
23/11/2017 20:27:17

John, please don't misunderstand me.

As you say, the lads that participated were pleased to have been part of it. Lucas and yours being still 'on the way', but that's fine.

Also remember, my Ballerina took me 16 months to get finalized, no prob. As it was often stated, "it's not a race"... or "enjoy the journey", and that's what I tried to do.

My point was (is) the 'amount of reactions' to the MB by the forumites in general.

As Ian just wrote, the amount of building "activity" seems to go downwards in general with the forum members. Not the same kind of 'energy' or involvement showed during the few past years. To bad, not sure to be able to see a real reason, but that's the way it goes, it seems.

Cheers

Chris

23/11/2017 18:50:13

This really doesn't reward your time and energy, Martyn. sad

Only 20 votes for a MB ! What's happening around here? surprise

Last year, John's involvement didn't worked out either, with only a few Skywriters being built.

Don't ask me for a solution, but I guess the MB concept isn't answering to what people desire to spend their time on.

Sticking together gets mountains moving... let's keep that projective view regarding the Fury Classroom...

Cheers

Chris

Thread: Chris's ChtiCat Racer
23/11/2017 13:18:44

No worries, John.

I will only need a very small part of the 'treasure'. Starting with the free recycled plastic straps anyway... angel

Nowt to fear about "flak" then, young man.

Besides, as she's very aesthetical minded, adding some detailing rivets will please her a lot. wink

Jobs a good un, me thinks...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Flak Control

Thread: Easter Eagle Senior
23/11/2017 11:02:36

Subscribed too, Peter.

Of course... yes

Cheers

Chris

22/11/2017 20:17:16

Hello out there,

Looking at he reactions, I presume everybody is anxiously waiting for ‘Black Friday’ and counting their shiny cash already… sad

Well, I’m not, as I’ve been spending all my money on building the ChtiCat already. At least, it’s somehow shiny as well… indecision

In fact, the aft fuselage makes me think of the rear part of one those fuel drop tanks from the A4 Skyhawk… but then 'way to blingy’.

Humm… so, I decided to have a go at some panel lines and a few rivets.

925_rivets01_900.jpg

No, absolutely not ! No ‘Fentonitis’ at all !

Just a bit of practice for the forthcoming Fury Classroom.

928_rivets02_900.jpg

When I wrote “a few”, I meant a few ‘hundreds’, of course… A quick jobbie & a bit of exercise never hurts. angel

Apologies, as it doesn’t show well with all the reflections of the artificial light. It might need a tiny bit of ‘weathering’ as well, I guess.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Practice Control

Thread: Covering foam wings
22/11/2017 13:46:30

Or you can go the cheaper way & without propellent nor masking needed, Trebor.

Wash off the release agent residues off your foam (meth or IPA), dilute good ol' PVA at +/- 50% (H2O), brush a thin layer on your foam and leave to dry. Cover with iron-on at low temp as usual as PVA gets heat re-activated. Et voilà.

Cheers

Chris

21/11/2017 20:15:46

Hello gents,

Well, there is some ‘bad’ news together with ‘not that good’ news as well.

The bad news is that I was officially told today that our local gymnasium is closed for some months due to ‘roof repairs & general renovation’… sad

The not so good news is that our (very recent membership) flying club had to cancel several of their indoor sessions, the following one being (hopefully) at mid-december. sad sad

Additionally to that is the fact that it’s been raining here since more than a week now. frown

Anyway, the positive part is that I’ll have the possibility to finish the ChtiZebra properly. Sorry, Don. angel

I took some time today to ‘raid’ some drawers, mainly the ones belonging to The LotH (but I’m pretty convinced to be able to count on your utmost discretion) …

918_glider_roundels_900.jpg

The pirate’s treasure now includes some Velcro strips and pads, felt sheet and roundels, plastic binding straps in two dimensions and even some Nylon furniture protectors.

Let’s have that battle…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Gliding Control

21/11/2017 07:35:24

That's what I'm trying to do, Don. angel wink

But then, my 'measuring' is slow, mu 'cutting' is slow and my 'sticking' even worse. blush

Regarding "open the throttle", that's when that 'panic' feeling will really step in...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Panic Control

Thread: Carbon fibre to balsa
21/11/2017 06:57:44

Hi Tony,

Before you even open your tube/can of glue, the first thing you should do is to clean your CF.

As with all moulded/extruded parts, the surface has residues of release agents needed for demoulding after manufacture.

Just scrub your parts with a Scotch Brite pad but do it 'wet' as carbon powder isn't that healthy. Rinse the part with meth or IPA afterwards. Done.

As for glue, a slow epoxy or Deluxe Superphatic which will penetrate the grain of the balsa a lot better increasing the adherence of the bits.

Pretty sure you'll get some answers from the experts here as well.

Cheers

Chris

20/11/2017 19:15:36

Hello again,

After a small Hawker Fury intermezzo, time to get back to the ChtiCat and the… soldering bits.

I ordered some XT30 connectors as they were added recently to the Amass catalogue. I never saw any of these IRL so I was a bit surprised when they were delivered. I thought I would have a direct comparison to the big brother, the XT60.

910_xt30-60_900.jpg

Nice & ‘cute’ at about 1 square cm. It’s probably just me, but I feel JST connectors are fine for a few LEDs but not really for a 20A junction.

So, I finally managed to get my electrical bits sorted out. angel

912_soldering_900.jpg

If you want to have a closer look, you will notice that I cut out the heatshrink of the ESC. It’s one of Simon Chaddock’s tricks to have a better heat dissipation, but he also reminded me that then the heatsink is only kept in place by the heat conductive ‘pasta’ layer, so the trick is to use a fine thread circled around a few loops and kept in position by two half drops of glue. In my case it’s Dyneema 105lb fishing wire, but of course largely OTT, as is the MG90S, by the way... Thanks again, Simon. wink

913_airlip_900.jpg

I made another ‘cooling’ detail in the shape of a tiny lip - from a scrap of acetate blister - glued at the front of the fuse opening. The purpose is double as it will avoid too much air entering the aft fuse, but will also create an inboard vacuum zone to extract the ‘hot’ air from the motor & ESC.

Comments - even partially or totally destructive ones - always welcomed... cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Air Flow Control

19/11/2017 19:57:51

Hi everyone & back to biz,

I wrote before that I would add a concave triangular former at the back of the 'splitter' with the idea of having less torsion at the front end, hence preserving the fairing to be ‘chucked’ by the prop as it happened to Don. Well, here it is:

893_colours10_900.jpg

And a closer look, showing the yellowish colour of some Deluxe Superphatic. I’m really ‘in love’ with that glue and even ordered half of a container of it for my next Vicomte build.

896_colours12_900.jpg

My earlier ‘guestimate’ for the ChtiCat’s all in weight was around 250gr. The bare frame is now coming in at 87,4gr, complete with the Depron vinyl lamination.

900_colours014_900.jpg

The powertrain + MG servo + Rx (Redcon 6ch) weights 98,5gr and my 2S 850MAh Lipo is 49gr. So at a bit short of 235gr, it comes very close to Don’s weight figure, taking in consideration that his 3S Lipo is about 20gr heavier but then my motor is also 20gr heavier.

Of course, the ‘beast’ isn’t supposed to get airborne, but with a bit less than 90W for that weight, we have around 180W/lbs… the ChtiZebra should accelerate quite well, I guess… wink

... not to speak about getting a ‘3S inside’. surprise

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Dragster Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 19/11/2017 19:59:10

Thread: Fairey Long Range Monoplane for indoor flying.
19/11/2017 07:38:17

... oops... double post, sorry... blush

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 19/11/2017 07:39:18

19/11/2017 07:19:31

Wishing you and your unusual 'bird' all the best for today, Colin. yes gift cocktail cocktail

Cheers

Chris

18/11/2017 20:57:51

Sorry gents,

I'm afraid to admit I didn't go for some progress with the ChtiZebra at La Grotte today.

An unforeseen 'call for duty' at Danny's Fury thread seemed like taking advantage of my free time.

In doubt, you can always check it here.

Together with some very formal apologies... blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR 3 View Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 18/11/2017 21:05:52

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
18/11/2017 13:25:14

Following Martyn's question, I had another overlay but with the entire bird.

fury_westburg_1930_full_800.jpg

Concerning the top wing, being constant chord, the perspective shows that it matches all right when the size gets the same as the drawing. From the cowl blisters down to the cockpit glass, it seems to nicely match.

May I close my Photoshop now? Laptop is getting a bit warm.

As per Percy's post, I think at least one of us should build a Fury on floats... indecision

Cheers

Chris

18/11/2017 12:11:31

Gracias también, José. wink

18/11/2017 12:08:10

Thanks Martyn,

The location of the upper wing is fine as it is in the same vertical axis in relation to the trustline.

Regarding the cabanes, it's difficult to tell as the pic isn't 'full profile' since the photographer was standing (lower than the trustline) on the ground. In fact, you obtain some kind of 'yaw perspective' accentuated by the camera's type of lens.

But lengthwise it's still ok. Items like prop, cowl panel lines, engine exhausts position, canopy window even the tail skid are very accurately represented on the Westburg drawing. For me, it's the best one of the two drawings. yes

... but then maybe Confucius should be called in... surprise

Cheers

Chris

18/11/2017 11:03:20

Thank you, Danny.

The pupils should obviously always agree with their teacher, but my mum always pretended that this one was a bit of a rebel... blush

In fact, I was asking myself the same question - about the fin, not the rebel - and I did an overlay with the K1930.

fury_westburg_1930_900.jpg

Taking into consideration that the pic isn't 100% profile, the Westburg drawing is very close to a full match.

IMHO, together with the remarks concerning the top and profile view, the Westburg drawing seems more scale to me than the Bryant one.

Apologies, sir... no board erasers, please...

Cheers

Chris

18/11/2017 10:16:03

Hi Danny et all,

I don't known if it's still of any importance but here is my profile overlay of both drawings with the Bryant one in black and the Westburg in red.

I had a lot more 'cleaning' of the surroundings and could quite easily align the trustlines.

fury_bryant-westburg_profile.jpg

The front of both look very similar except that Dennis's top wing cabanes are 'longer' and there are a few degrees more rake at the u/c on the Westburg drawing.

The aft deck of the Bryant drawing is higher on its full length and together with nearly the same at the fuse bottom, it could result in that 'bulkier' look that has been described.

Bryant's fin post also seems to be somewhat 'higher'.

It's quite funny that Westburg's drawing is showing the K1930 (SQ Commander Slatter / n°43 Sq. / Tangmere) which is the one from the Landuyt Collection based at Wevelgem Airfield here in Belgium.

fury_7.jpg

fury_3.jpg

fury_5.jpg

Cheers

Chris

17/11/2017 21:06:47

Thank you all for commenting and fine to read that the ChtiCat deco scheme is 'acceptable'.

Maybe I should call it the ChtiZebra from now on... angel

Now regarding "one zebra race", "dazzling" or certainly "winning", I don't know as there must be at least some 'competition' to be able to win. crying

Just try one, gents. It's a quick and totally inexpensive build and can even be used outdoors - on concrete or tarmac - with the appropriate bottom 'roundels' being plastic pallet bindings or Teflon furniture leg protectors.

As for my build progress, after the fun of the vinyl lamination, I had to proceed with the correction of my lousy soldering, so not really much to show right now.

But I did a bit of plan view matching in Photoshop for the Danny Fenton's Fury Scale Classroom coming up next year in October... I guess one could call it "planning".

fury_bryant-westburg_planview_02.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Plan View Control

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings and Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
SHREK
Overlander
CML
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues