By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for McG 6969

Here is a list of all the postings McG 6969 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Autumn.....
21/09/2017 19:38:51

It might be different on the Continent, John.

If I recall correctly and following my ancient teachers, Autumn was beginning the 21th of September... frown

Now, I was aware of some GMT or/and CEST differences, but never noticed it could be a whole day off.

Maybe I should go back reading the Horizon H or Traplet posts... indecision

Cheers

Chris

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
20/09/2017 19:21:59

Apologies, Richard, I just saw your post too late after posting to Jose.

Welcome to The Classroom too, of course. 

Please don't forget that Danny asked a few days/posts ago to provide him some info about the 'quality' and the kind of wood - ie ply, liteply, balsa? - used in the recent Sarik laser cut parts. 

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 20/09/2017 19:34:30

20/09/2017 19:11:01
Posted by Jose L. G. on 18/09/2017 10:36:57:

​Good morning,

​I´ve been following with interest the project. I did not ordered any parts yet.

​I Would like the plan, ñ

laser cut parts /Wood, hinges and metal brackets), cowl and vacuuinner.

​I´ve been supporting Traplet in the past (also a suscriber for QEFI, changed to RCMW when QEFI ceased).

Cheers,

Jose L. G.

Spain

Holá Jose,

Welcome to the 'loco' Fury Classroom.

As nobody answered you since your post, I think the Fury Masters must be very busy to resolve some of the 'inherent' problems that you must have been reading.

I guess you will have to be a little patient to see some progress being communicated, but I'm convinced that Danny & his wing-men will very soon come with an appropriate solution.

Stay with us, young man.

Cheers & hasta mas tarde

Chris

Brussels, Belgium

Thread: Enemies of RC flight
16/09/2017 18:28:48
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/09/2017 15:34:49:

Weight - the enemy of many a model!

BEB

PS Why don't we just ban "w"? It would solve a lot of problems!

... Save Willy, BEB... please...  crying

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 16/09/2017 18:29:40

15/09/2017 19:28:21

Hi all,

I totally agree with Danny's opinion about basic deontological 'principles'.

It would have been quite different if the 'new' Sarik management wasn't exactly the same as the former Traplet ones.

As mentioned here before, they could have take the responsibility to honour their 'latest' orders to us and thus creating a kind of 'confidence' to their new venture.

@ Guvnor > the model industry might be in crisis to a certain point, but as top-level managers of a multi-continental publishing institution one could/should be aware of the 'problems' one's facing...

Apologies for being 'personal' here, but your post wasn't really 'constructive'... and I think that's what The Class is going for at this very moment...

Cheers

Chris

Thread: Druine D.31 Turbulent
14/09/2017 18:32:29

Another 'masterpiece' to get born there, Timo.

Subscribed already.

Cheers

Chris

Thread: ARTF - The Stevo way
14/09/2017 18:24:59

Thanks for your answer, Stevo.

Regarding avoiding to compress the eyelet collet into the wood underneath, I've been reading a smart 'trick'.

If the wood underneath is at the soft side, just screw the eyelet - without rubber or servo - to the plank. Remove them and get a drop of thin CA in the hole & around it. The hardness of the CA will then 'warn' you when 'over tightening' it.

Great class & tips you surely have. Apologies for interrupting.

Cheers

Chris

14/09/2017 17:42:06
Posted by Stevo on 14/09/2017 15:22:23:

Don't forget that the brass eyelets install from the bottom of the rubber grommet!

The rubber grommet then isolates the servo from the vibration in the airframe. When tightening the screws, just enough to hold it in place and don't compress the rubber!!

Stevo,

Sorry,but IMHO I'm not so sure that the screw shouldn't 'compress' the rubber.

If it doesn't, the servo isn't just 'fixed' tightly.

The screw should be tightened to the point of making physical contact with the top of the brass part, ie compressing the rubber slightly.

Think about it the same way as to mount shock absorbers to a car with the upper & bottom rubbers slightly compressed.

Cheers

Chris

Thread: After 30 years of marriage
10/09/2017 18:43:36

... Oooh, you had that 'beard' already, Stevo. surprise

... when you saved that Scottish brunette from those naughty waters...

... Jhn wouls say: "Jobs a good un"....

Cheers

Chris

10/09/2017 13:40:18

Hi all,

With the kind of energy already involved, I wouldn't personally think "to reconsider the subject" as David states.

Let's stick together and support the ones that made this project going.

Nev is quite right with his approach of going with the majority, even if I'm not that sure to understand the "little history involved"...

Anyway >

Chris > laser cut parts, glass hinges, brass bits & vac spinner.

Thanks again for your involvement, Danny.

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 10/09/2017 13:40:52

Thread: The 2018 Mass Build Ideas thread
08/09/2017 19:48:05

... ooh, yes please Lucas... just have a go at a Vicomte "just for me"... wink

But then, I guess you have to build your 'second' Skywriter wing first... devil

Don't worry, it will be my second build now and not even a 'scratch' one. With the laser cut parts, I could even be able to finish it before the summer hits the country. question

Have some fun anyhow.

Cheers

Chris

08/09/2017 18:39:17

Hi Danny & all,

Quite sad that you don't have that credit card refund yet. It's on its way, I presume. Are there other subscribers still waiting for it?

Thanks to Mr Ashby for posting, but I was a bit surprised to read that Mr Kevin "spotted' this thread and apparently didn't decide to step in with Sarik Hobbies's statement.

Of course, looking at it from a Belgian bird perspective, I can't know if there is a direct 'liaison' between Sarik and RCME. I did try to follow the earlier MHS arrangement with Traplet, but with not much luck. sad

If I'm allowed a very personal view, here are my feelings:

1/ I would prefer to buy only a laser cut wood pack as soon as Danny or Martyn can collect some quotes from Dylan, SLEC, Belair or RBC.

2/ as Andy and others stated before, the spinner doesn't fit, the cowl looks indeed a bit 'short'. It would be better if it could reach the fuselage panels just in front of the upper wing cabanes.

3/ Danny can show us all how to make a correct spinner, at least for EP.

4/ I'll try to make my own fibre glass cowl with a foam plug & silicone mould. Anyway, the good old balsa method still exists, I guess.

5/ It would be great to be able to purchase a set of CNC cut fibre & brass parts.

6/ any 'silly' ideas are welcomed to be corrected of course. smiley

Cheers

Chris

Thread: The 2018 Mass Build Ideas thread
07/09/2017 19:01:34

No Svenson Vicomte / Baron this winter then, Steven... surprise

So, I guess I will be the only one to build it? crying

mousquetaire_fuselage_render03.jpg

Anyhow, I'm still convinced it would make a very nice Mass Build. Free plans, nicely 'retro' or 'vintage', appropriate build for newcomers, 'scalish' details possible for more experienced builders, slow & easy handling for all...

Cheers

Chris

07/09/2017 13:18:48

Hi Martyn,

Regarding the Sarik website, I'm afraid I can't help you out. I don't think there is a "Fury page" at all... the only thingies in their 'Shop' seems to be O-gauge stuff. Quite strange indeed... frown

@ Danny & Martin > if you have a look at my previous post, I wrote that I paid £140 for the set (plans, wood pack, cowl & spinner).

Cheers

Chris

07/09/2017 11:34:04

Hi Danny et all,

If this can be of any help, here under is a copy/paste from Craig Hughes's reply to my former quote inquiry to Traplet >

[quote]
As requested.
Please find costings for Hawker Fury set:
SET3453 £140.06
Line drawing 2727 £9.50
Postage £19.50
Total £169.06
[end quote]

The SET3453 included the plans, wood pack, cowl & spinner. The drawing 2727 is the 3D view.

Of course the postage rate was higher due to the Belgian destination.

It seems that even with the 10% discount, Martin's rate of £185 is still around 30% more than my £140.

I don't remember the exact figures for the plans & accessories, but I 'guestimate' that the wood pack was situated around £90 > £100.

Cheers

Chris

07/09/2017 08:17:38

Well, two happy bunnies here at least, Colin.

I just received the credit card refund this morning. I do hope the other class-members will get their refund soon now also.

As I wrote before, I would be happy to support Dylan as well for the wood pack.

@ Danny > did you manage to get some quotes already for the wooden parts?

@ Tony > great little Dzus fasteners you printed. As I don't have a 3D printer, my intention is to cast them in PU.

I don't have the Fury plan printed yet, but could you give me the exact scale external diameter at 1:6, please?

Cheers

Chris

Thread: A Depron Sea Vixen.FAW2
06/09/2017 18:14:20

... I presume your 'guessing' did it again, Simon. wink

... not only for the CoG but also the drawings, 3D printing, cutting, gluing, planking...

... another mega-great 'guess-chievement' anyhow.

Congrats

Cheers

Chris

01/09/2017 21:09:35

Thank you for answering, Dylan.

At least this sounds a bit like 'constructive' talking.

I'll leave it to our classroom supervisor to answer you...

Cheers

Chris

01/09/2017 19:00:58

Thank you for your reply, Danny.

Apparently Dylan was 'calling up' with his post, don't you think?

But a deal with Belair or SLEC - especially if they come up w/ the hinges stuff - would be great as well (if they can have the CAD files?).

I guess with a grouped order of the brass parts - if they are the same thickness ie. 0,9 or 1mm - it wouldn't be that expensive. I guess that if you cover the brass with a flat medium dark (grey) vinyl you could even cut it with a 60 > 80 W laser cutter.

Could you take care of asking for the quotes?

Cheers & thanks again

Chris

01/09/2017 18:01:27

Hi all,

Danny is right, let's have some 'positive' suggestions. So, let's try that:

1/ I think to remember Martyn's intention was to produce some CAD files for the wooden bits. What is the situation with that proposal nowadays?

2/ would it be possible to ask for a price quote for a short kit with the interested 'laser-cutting' parties?

3/ some time ago, Dylan wrote on this blog that he 'finished' his CAD files for the Fury and that he was ready to start cutting. Is that a potential solution?

4/ it would be an advantage for all of us if the brass parts could be CNC/laser cut. Or am I dreaming again?

I hope at least I was in the 'constructing' region this time. And sorry to Danny and Colin for my previous post then.

Cheers

Chris

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
SHREK
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us