By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for McG 6969

Here is a list of all the postings McG 6969 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chris's Bella Ballerina HD
24/02/2017 18:50:36

Hello again gents,

Being Bella’s Official Weight Manager, Rosco’s desire is my command, so I did put aside the servos stuff and started to prepare the Ballerina for a very first ‘bench flying’ session. yes

Luckily enough, I managed to find back all the bits and pieces quite easily, but I must admit that I had to cheat a bit as the wing seat at the fuselage hasn’t been adjusted yet and there are of course no wing bolts present yet. But some bits of foam and a few hidden Duplos underneath the wing could hold everything more or mess ‘together’. blush

2206_benchflying01_900.jpg

2210_benchflying02_900.jpg

As Pierre the Driver isn’t still back from his winter holiday in Biarritz, Gaston was proud enough to play the part of the PIC.

He seemed right away quite impressed by the - totally innocently, of course - increased wingspan if compared to Peter’s original wing plan.

2215_bench_wingspan_900.jpg

2217_benchflying03_900.jpg

Regarding the wing span, I must say that I was a bit surprised as well. It’s only an increase of 90mm but it really appears ‘a lot’ larger. Maybe the shape of the wing tips is adding to the feeling as well, but anyway I’m pleased with Bella’s ‘Gastonheimer’ tips.

Since they went in storage quite a while ago, I also got the feeling that the turboprop exhausts were a bit more rusted, but since they are made of stainless steel, that must be an illusion… angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Exhaust Rust Control

Thread: Johns Skywriter....will it be spelt correctly ?
24/02/2017 18:48:33

Thanks John... just making me a little more envious now... angel

As an apprentice, I can't know for sure, but wouldn't it be a bit handier to keep the board 'horizontal' to mount your Skywriter's fuselage to it? devil

Or, am I not spelling it right again? ... blush

Cheers

Chris

23/02/2017 20:57:33

Hi John,

Really would like to 'see' that Slec jig very quickly as I'm probably the only forum member without one. blush

... and getting more envious each time I see one.

Very nice nice progress followed along. yes

Cheers

Chris

21/02/2017 18:56:48

Hey Rosco,

Unfortunately, I hadn't the opportunity to go to La Grotte since the weekend.

But I'll follow your advice next time I'll get there and will have an improvised 'bench flying' and pics for you. wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR BF Control

Thread: Lanyu Primary 40; Basic Four Channel ARTF Trainer Assembly Blog. Anybody Interested?
21/02/2017 18:33:39

Hi David,

Lanyu is (was) one of the largest Chinese rc/pnp/artf or speedboat models producing companies. A few years ago they re-branded as Volantex. Main products are the Ranger EV (sold by HK as the Quanum Observer), the Trainstar, the Firstar, the Raptor - and the V2 - in his different versions, but maybe the best known in UK is the Phoenix 2000.

Recently they seemed to have changed their name again. But you can find them under their new identity 'Exhobby' here...

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

ps: ... Is your Baron going to be Mode 1 now? ... blush

Thread: Am I drinking too much?
20/02/2017 22:04:49

Hello Ted,

Even as a nearly newbie around here, I'm so glad to be able to read this great news.

Please keep up the good work.

Cheers

Chris

20/02/2017 18:00:48

Thank you all for your encouragements, gents.

@ Simon & Andy > it surely seems that our respective dads had a large influence on us. And I guess that your Depron builds are a lot easier to carry than a collection of good ol' Singers. In fact, I always admired those steam models, Andy. So don't try to bring me in temptation, please. surprise

@ Stuart > My double problem is that I don't have a loft in La Grotte and I didn't even learn to 'fly' yet... blush

@ Rosco > Good point, young man. I will bring the wing and the fuse together very soon now I hope. But first I have to sort out all those 'servo connection' horns, clevises and other little thingies which I have never done before either. Then try to align the wing properly and finally have that 'bench flying'. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Bench Flying Control

Thread: Help, two speed teapot.
20/02/2017 09:17:42

... IMHO, if Braddock's original problem was some kind of two-speed Teaxit, I would indeed vote for... coffee !!! frown

Cheers

Chris

Thread: Gentle Curves - Lucas his Skywriter
20/02/2017 08:42:08

Nice progress there, Lucas.

Very neat as usual.

Cheers

Chris

Thread: Mirus Build Blog
19/02/2017 18:21:45

@ Alan,

If you're looking for a Ronseal comparable water based/acryl varnish in France, look for the 'V33' brand.

Their 'Vernis dur pour parquet' or even better 'Vernis Marin' fills the bill perfectly.

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 19/02/2017 18:22:12

Thread: 2017 Mass Build Chat Thread
19/02/2017 17:47:01

Well, I like those too, John.

But if you can find them here at Banggood for € 4,78 - being around £4 & free postage.

Cheers

Chris

18/02/2017 14:26:29

Thank you so much, Lady.

You’re really not too old to disguise as a cheerleader but just beware of the too eccentric moves… wink

@ Peter > I reckon you’re right regarding the “half of my problem”. I also suppose Iris gave the main part of the answer. It’s really not about ‘perfection’ but just trying ‘the best I can’ when I’m doing/building something. Remembering my dad, it must be hereditary somehow, as I just can’t rush up things just for them to get finished. It would give me a wrong feeling afterwards. I knew from the beginning it would be hard to get to the finish line with such a steep learning curve to handle. At least I didn’t give up so far. angel

@ Andy > thank you for your kind and encouraging words. smiley

@ John > absolutely “tricky fellas” those mojos. By the way is ‘your’ Glenn one of Peter’s relatives? surprise

@ Steven > yes, the Baron/Vicomte will definitely be my next build. I bought a short kit from the Belgian guys that ‘revisited’ the original Svenson plan in CAD and they had the parts laser cut. So, if your intention is to build one as well after your Flugboot, we could build the Vicomte together. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Tricky Fellas Control

17/02/2017 20:49:27

Hello… if somebody is still out there,

I must admit I had some kind of motivation ‘dip’ after the problems encountered with the ‘melting foam’ and Bella’s wing painting process. crying

A few Belgian and French modellers were also interested in the possibility of having a ‘Pierre the Driver’ figurine in their cockpit so I patiently ‘rotated’ a few of them. I mean “patiently” as I had a few ‘misfires’ in my ‘non-mass-production’ process… But then they seemed to be enjoying their 'pilot' when delivered. yes

I also started to carefully study the plans for my forthcoming full balsa build. Being envious of John’s and Lucas’ Skywriter build, I couldn’t resist to think about having a try at some lamination process for the vertical tailplane. angel

But, this is what I have so far for the Bella.

2196_wing_primer_900.jpg

The Ballerina still remains on the fire plate - not even really on the back burner - but I feel I need a motivation boost after having nearly 14 months spent since the start of my ‘apprentice’ decision.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Motivation & Lamination Control

Thread: Brian Taylor Spitfire 69" - build only
17/02/2017 18:19:29

Great that you managed to 'fix' your wing fairing, Nigel.

Cheers

Chris

13/02/2017 21:46:14

Hello everybody out there,

I came to the decision not to wait till Easter to be able to make some painting progress to Bella’s wing. As working indoors was definitely a ‘no-no’, I just had to build my spray booth outdoors… surprise

The kitchen terrace seemed to be a perfect strategic place. Two small ladders, some ropes and broom sticks did allow me to build a ‘frame’. An old bathroom curtain became the roof, some large painter’s plastic sheets were perfect walls. Half an hour and half a roll of duct tape later, I could plug in my small blowing heater.

I was only a bit afraid that the ‘construction’ could start to convince itself being a genuine hot air balloon but all went well this time and now at least I have a result.

My only regret is that I won’t be able to use the booth again as I really had to dismantle it right away before it could get blown away. frown

The wing is finally drying now and will deserve a picture soon… wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Spray Booth Control

Thread: Gentle Curves - Lucas his Skywriter
13/02/2017 21:19:11

Hallo Lucas,

Thanks for answering, but I was just wondering - 'newbie's curiosity' - you know. angel

I thought you just had the Ballerina rib adapted to the Skywriter's dimensions.

But - IMHO -if you took the original 3414, I would stick to it for the lower wing as well...

Cheers

Chris

13/02/2017 19:10:11

Great progress, Lucas.

Allow me a question though > A few posts back, one of your pictures showed a gap between the trailing edge of your ribs and the flat cap stripping...

img_3667 (small).jpg

Now this more recent picture shows some 'underneath' strip filling up the rear gap.

As your ribs are supposed to be flat bottomed at the rear - ie. Naca 3414 - how does this comes, please???

Cheers

Chris

12/02/2017 18:38:52

You're very welcome, Onetenor. And great if you knew the recipe already.

Not sure if I understand your "Celly" correctly, though. Does it mean 'cellulose'? Those thinners would very probably 'kill' any foam I know of. crying

Normally I'm wearing a 'real pro' mask for spraying larger items... but unfortunately it doesn't allow me to wear some glasses as well. But then, indoors, I was only spraying the small ailerons as a test-piece. angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Spray Fumes Control

12/02/2017 18:27:21
Posted by Simon Chaddock on 12/02/2017 00:05:27:

For one off model planes it just has to be 'trial and error' coupled with experience. wink 2.

Thank you, Simon.

I've been invited to visit the finishing department of a 'top end' bicycle manufacturer (Ridley) here in BE. The carbon fiber frames are made in China and the finishing and assembly are done here in Hasselt. As you wrote, the powder coating & curing takes less time than for me to write down... Amazing. surprise

Unfortunately, in my case, it's more like "trial and error coupled with"... UNexperience. frown

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR UNcontrol

11/02/2017 19:40:32

... ooh, by the way, as there seems to be a recent "Fly with music" thread on here.

Candy Dulfer was the saxo-lady of Prince’s music guys in those days.

Pretty talented young woman and - Lucas should be aware of it - she was... Dutch.

Just to give you an idea >

But then, also being proud to remember that the inventor of the saxophone was a Belgian…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Adolphe Saxe Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 11/02/2017 19:41:11

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Overlander
Slec
Advertise With Us
CML
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What's the main radio brand you use? (2017)
Q: What's the main radio brand you use?

FrSky
 Turnigy
 Multiplex
 Hitec
 Futaba
 JR
 Spektrum
 Graupner
 Jeti
 Other

Latest Reviews