By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Symons - BMFA

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Symons - BMFA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BMFA Buckminster Spring Swapmeet
03/01/2018 15:16:15

A date for your diaries! Another chance to come and have a look around the National Centre and perhaps have a clear out or maybe pick up a bargain or too. Hopefully there will be no snow for this one!

http://nationalcentre.bmfa.org/event/bmfa-buckminster-spring-swapmeet

BMFA Buckminster Spring Swapmeet

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 03/01/2018 15:16:42

Thread: BMFA Buckminster Christmas Swapmeet
12/12/2017 09:53:00

It went very well considering the conditions. Although there was no snow at all at 6.15am. About half the sellers made it and a good number of buyers too. See https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1315582195253700&id=274324536046143 Spring Swapmeet will be 15th April

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 12/12/2017 09:58:36

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 12/12/2017 09:59:37

Thread: BMFA Christmas Swapmeet now with aeromodellers car boot sale.
05/12/2017 23:12:03
Doors open at 10am for buyers.
05/12/2017 23:11:23
Dont forget its the Christmas swapmeet at BMFA Buckminster this coming Sunday. All indoor space is booked (over 60 tables) we even have some outdoor sellers too. Should be a great do. Also an opportunity to have a look round and fly too. There will be a catering stand on site too.
Thread: BMFA website
05/12/2017 07:42:56
Glad this is resolved. Spam filters can be a pain.
Thread: BMFA Online Membership portal open for 2018 membership renewals
01/12/2017 05:12:02

The BMFA online portal for new and renewing country membership for 2018 is now active.

**LINK**

2017 has been a great year for the BMFA and model aircraft flying, lets make 2018 even better.

NUMBERS DO COUNT!

The BMFA's strengths are its proven expertise and its membership. Without the backing of its clubs and members we could not have accomplished the many things that have given us national and international credibility and recognition. The sheer weight of numbers of model aircraft fliers we represent has enabled us to be heard at the highest levels. Therefore, we require continuing support as without you the BMFA would not exist: your membership and club affiliation is important so that we can continue to represent the interests of all modellers in the UK.

Read more about the benefits of BMFA membership at **LINK**

Thread: Good News from the BMFA AGM
25/11/2017 18:35:17
Posted by Erfolg on 25/11/2017 15:33:13:

It is apparent from the careful use of words, that Andy does recognise that many many of the BMFA hierarchy, are motivated by a single issue or discipline. They may no longer be competitors, although now pursue their interests through the organisational structures. This is most apparent when views are discussed at area level. In the case previously mentioned a balanced view did prevail in my opinion.

Well you are part right, my words were very carefully chosen, very carefully chosen to mean exactly what they say with no hidden meanings. I make a point of it.

So despite what may be apparent to you I can tell you that you are entirely wrong. I do not recognise that "many many" however many that is of the BMFA hierarchy are motivated by a single issue or discipline.

I would go as far as to say none of them are, unless that single issue is "the promotion and furtherance of aeromodelling and model flying in all its forms, both competitive and non-competitive".

What I said and mean with no hidden meaning was that the majority of the board of directors are non-competitive flyers and that It is possible for a competitive flyer to be able to trumpet and support non competitive flying, even if they are representing a specific interest.

Will add the further statement that I believe every member of the board of directors is fully aware that competition flying needs non competitive flying just as much as non-competitive flying needs the competition side.

It is my opinion that if we lose one we will lose the other.

Please accept there is no hidden meaning anywhere there, and I hope it is clear exactly what I am saying.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 25/11/2017 18:37:05

24/11/2017 20:22:17
Not sure what that has to do with your suggestion that all the senior staff shoulf man the stand at once.

Cannot please all the people all the time.
24/11/2017 19:39:23
Having 3 senior staff on a stand woulx be a shocking waste of resources. I am somewhat gobsmacked anyone would suggest it sbould be done.
24/11/2017 17:31:49
Posted by Percy Verance on 24/11/2017 17:17:28:

Spot on there Ken. A good number of everyday flyers I've had contact with haven't a clue who David Phipps or Manny Williamson are.........

And I didn't notice either of them on the BMFA stand at Elvington as I walked past it.

Edited By Percy Verance on 24/11/2017 17:21:55

You could have stopped and said hello to me though.

24/11/2017 12:21:55
Posted by Cuban8 on 24/11/2017 12:04:51:

Any chance of the hanger being available for indoor and kids' flying in 2018? I heard two quite different reasons as to why we lost the hanger - I feel that the weekend really needs it back if at all possible.

I read somewhere that it wasn't available because we couldn't be bothered! surprise No idea who starts these ridiculous rumours.

The 1 and only reason it wasn't available is because the doors have been condemned and the RAF would not let us use it. The Cranwell flying club who had been using the hangar have had to move elsewhere too.

You can be assured that if we can get permission to use a hangar that we most certainly will. Realistically it is probably unlikely for 2018.

Thread: BMFA A thread for off topic posts
24/11/2017 12:06:20

As fas as I am aware Barkston is 900 acres.

Thread: Good News from the BMFA AGM
24/11/2017 11:28:36
Posted by ceejay on 24/11/2017 11:21:20:

Just to return to the opening post,

great news on the Nats Andy see you there early Friday yes

chris

Absolutely Chris! I'm looking forward to it already, hope the weather gods play nicely again.

24/11/2017 11:20:57
Posted by The Wright Stuff on 24/11/2017 10:46:25:

I can do the maths, too, regarding the division of the £25K. But is it plausible that the insurers would make it available if it was just for subsiding the premium, rather than sponsorship?

Nail hit firmly on the head!

23/11/2017 23:02:10
Posted by Erfolg on 23/11/2017 22:48:58:

Andy, are you actually saying that people such as Chris Moynihan (our ex leader) are or do not have a specific interest in specific areas of competition. Or that they have no interest at all, and all that they do is in support of all members equally. As there quite a few who I know, have broadly similar backgrounds to Chris.

It is the difference between saying that the work than Damon Hill does for the British Racing Drivers Club has nothing to do with competition, as he does not race and the man in the street who is a member of the RAC club, with an interest in general motoring.

I have nothing against competition, but the BMFA in my opinion should not skew its emphasis to support of competition. I can understand why this can happen, as competitive people will and do work for furthering their passion.

I'm saying exactly what I typed

Most of the members of the BMFA Council (Board of directors) are non-competitive flyers

All of the BMFA staff who happen to be model aircraft flyers are non-competitive flyers.

The vast majority of the work done by the staff is done for non-competitive flyers.

It is possible for a competitive flyer to be able to trumpet and support non competitive flying.

I agree the BMFA shouldn't skew its emphasis to support competitive flying, and it doesn't. Most of the effort and expenditure is towards non competitive flying, however the relationship between competitive and non competitive flying is very symbiotic, they need each other.

23/11/2017 22:15:26
Posted by Percy Verance on 23/11/2017 18:55:50:

One of the things which brassed me off well and truly was this steadfast relentless support and showcasing of competitive flying, even to the point of trumpeting minority interests.

Stuff the competitions, there are thousands of flyers out there whom are simply happy to fly for enjoyment and relaxation. And incidentally BMFA, that's where MOST of your money comes from. Well apart from sponsorship maybe........

Edited By Percy Verance on 23/11/2017 18:58:21

Some very strong opinions there Percy and of course you are very entitled to hold your opinions but I do feel, with the greatest of respect, that it should be challenged.

My opinion is that competitive flying, including the minority disciplines should be steadfastly supported, whether it's relentless is up to the individual to decide. That is my opinion, I base my opinion on some facts though which are as follows.

Model aircraft flying is recognised as a sport by various official bodies, Uk Sport etc, the CAA and local authorities (although sometimes we have to remind them the local authorities), without the competitive element model flying certainly wouldn't be recognised as a sport.

Obtaining and keeping model flying sites is hard work, it is made somewhat easier because we are recognised as a sport.

There are many flying sites up and down the country that only exist because we are a recognised sport.

There are many (perhaps thousands) of model flyers who only fly enjoyment and relaxation on flying sites that only exist because we are a recognised sport.

If we lose the competitive flying we will lose being recognised as a sport with the consequence that obtaining and keeping flying sites will be come much harder.

Yes most of the money comes from those that fly for enjoyment and relaxation, however most of the money is spent on those that fly for enjoyment and relaxation

If we stuff the competitions we will stuff an awful lot of those that fly for enjoyment and relaxation.

Those are facts not opinion.

Back to my opinion, anything that increases the credibility of model aircraft flying, in all its forms, as a sport is a good thing that we all benefit from and therefore I believe that a steadfast relentless support and showcasing of competitive flying, even to the point of trumpeting minority interests is a very good thing.

Competitive flyers need those that fly for enjoyment and relaxation just as much as those that fly for enjoyment and relaxation need competitive flyers.

A few more interesting facts.

Most of the model flying that has taken place at BMFA Buckminster has been non competitive and it is available for any member to do so if they wish.

Most of the members of the BMFA Council (Board of directors) are non-competitive flyers

All of the BMFA staff who happen to be model aircraft flyers are non-competitive flyers.

The vast majority of the work done by the staff is done for non-competitive flyers.

It is possible for a competitive flyer to be able to trumpet and support non competitive flying.

I realise your opinions may very well be steadfast and relentless in their nature and of course you are entitled to hold them and I respect your opinion without agreeing with it, however I hope some of the facts I have posted may prompt you to examine your opinion more closely.

Best Regards

Andy

21/11/2017 15:20:10

One of the benefits of the National Centre is that it has attracted the attention of some film and production companies. Filming has already taken place for an upcoming TV show and one of the companies will be producing a model flying video specifically for the BMFA at some point in 2018.

Something that will benefit all and not just those that visit.

20/11/2017 19:55:52
Its not the BMFA that force that on clubs. They are free to set their own rules.
When you go to a club its not often you get to pick and choose which rules you want to follow.
20/11/2017 19:28:24
Nothing is forced on clubs at all.
19/11/2017 13:28:08
Well Percy I believe the NC is already proving you wrong and will continue to prove you wrong. (And me for that matter as I was very much on the fence) the centre is already helping to build relationships which will benefit all model flyers, even that small number that left the BMFA because they are and probably always will be against the NC. NC usage is rising and since opening back in May has steadily risen to the point that it would be useful if we could find extra weekends next year to fit in all the requested bookings.
The extra credibility that having the NC adds to our sport is already showing signs of bearing fruit with some exciting educational opportunities in the pipe line as well as other opportunities..
Members are showing they are prepared to travel to visit either for events or on an adhoc basis just to fly at a fantastic flying site.

The NC is not deflecting efforts away from the other ongong vital work the BMFA does (much of which also benefits non BMFA members too) for example the CEO will be in Helsinki then Cologne this week as part of his ongoing efforts to protect all model flyers from further regulations.

It has been an excellent start and we now have an excellent facility that is and will keep improving and benefit all model flyers, even those that may never visit and are against the project.

Anyway back to the topic. Isnt it fantastic to know that we will be back at Barkston for the Nats and to get confirmation so early?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues