By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Symons - BMFA

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Symons - BMFA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Somebody crashed a model plane in to the side of my house
03/04/2017 15:24:31

I am not going to get involved with discussions about liability etc as I don't have enough information and this isn't the place either, I would suggest the OP calls the BMFA office and asks to speak to Manny Williamson who will be able to offer correct advice on how to deal with this. Tel No is 0116 244 0028

Thread: Showline at Power Nationals 2017
21/03/2017 16:40:36

Planning has now commenced for this year’s Showline and an application form for pilots wishing to express an interest in taking part can be downloaded from the link below or obtained directly from the office.

**LINK**

The 2017 Showline will see a two day flying programme featuring some of the UK’s top display pilots.

We look forward to receiving completed application forms.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 21/03/2017 16:42:01

Thread: BMFA NAtional Centre website launched
20/03/2017 18:19:06

FAQs **LINK**

Thread: Visit and Fly at BMFA Buckminster
17/03/2017 22:37:14
For that particular weekend yes. However June 10th and 11th event is for anything.
Thread: BMFA NAtional Centre website launched
17/03/2017 18:27:35

See **LINK**

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 17/03/2017 18:37:15

Thread: Visit and Fly at BMFA Buckminster
17/03/2017 18:24:49

See **LINK**

Be one of the first to visit and fly at your BMFA National Model Flying Centre, have a guided tour of the facilities, look at future plans and ask questions of the National Centre team.

Bring an electric model and be one of the first to fly at BMFA Buckminster.
(Please note runway facilities may be limited and a temporary strip may be in use)

10am to 4pm Saturday & Sunday, £6 flying pass, includes hot drinks and biscuits.

Free for non-flyers.

Pre-booking not required.

BMFA Insurance required

Thread: BMFA Buckminster Early Summer sport fly-in
17/03/2017 18:22:39

Come along and support your National Centre for Model Flying at a weekend of relaxed flying open to all members.

Flying from 4pm Friday 9th June until 7pm Sunday 11th. Camping/caravanning available

See **LINK**

Thread: BMFA Buckminster Summer Show
17/03/2017 18:21:04

Model Flying Airshow with trade presence and catering, indoor swap-meet Sunday (AM), evening R/C sport flying, camping from Friday afternoon, evening bar and catering.

See **LINK**

Thread: The BPC
12/03/2017 19:37:46
Posted by cymaz on 11/03/2017 07:01:51:
Posted by Doug Campbell on 11/03/2017 06:29:23:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 10/03/2017 13:57:25:

They weren't excluded without justification. An essential element of the fixed wing A and B tests has always been managing the momentum and energy of the aircraft. For some small and lightweight aircraft this element isn't there. The lower weight limit was a pragmatic and practical way of ensuring the element remains in the test.

You are completely wrong with this assumption. The energy is the same whatever size. It is all down to the wing loading and design. I could show you a 500g fast and light model that a lot of people would have trouble landing on the strip, and also a 5lb model that is so lightly loaded it matches the qualities you decided to exclude.

If what you say is correct maybe the LMA need a PPL to fly as they have so much "energy" to control. Complete poppycock

Maybe Andy meant kinetic energy? Which is work needed to accelerate a body for a given mass. Or potential energy, The energy stored in a body due to its position relative to a zero position e.g. ground.

As I understand it, you can't get rid of energy. Just change it from one state to another. Am I correct?

Edited By cymaz on 11/03/2017 07:05:15

That's how I remember it from my O and A level physics. A 3kg model at 200 feet altitude has a lot more potential energy than a 500gm model at 200 feet and by the time it reaches ground level, assuming no further energy is input to the system it will have a lot more kinetic energy.

Now of course there are different types of 500gm models some nice and slow and some bullet fast with massively varying wing loadings however I think it would be asking a bit too much of examiners to start checking wing loadings, so a lower weight limit was deemed a sensible practical and pragmatic solution. Of course you can debate what that lower weight limit should be until the cows come home but If I recall correctly it was set at 1kg as it would ensure that some energy management was required, didn't exclude too many aircraft and was relatively easy for an examiner to estimate without having to carry scales around, quite easy to estimate in comparison to say a normal bag of sugar for example.

I could of course be wrong but I don't think that is complete poppycock at all. wink

Thread: Dave Tappin
11/03/2017 21:50:20
Dave was definitely a character. Must admit to having a soft spot for him, I will miss pulling his leg a little. RIP Dave
Thread: Safe model retrieval
10/03/2017 15:15:13

Which document are you looking at Martin. Wording should be identical for the A and B gudiance for this section and for both is

The candidate should agree with the examiner beforehand whether they intend to take the transmitter with them when retrieving their model or choose to leave it with a competent person. The candidate must explain the safety considerations behind their decision, which must be agreed with the examiner. If the candidates elects not to take the transmitter and no one else is available to hold it then you should offer. Whatever process is agreed, it must also be in accordance with any relevant club rules, as appropriate. Generally, for 2.4GHz operations and with suitable consideration, candidates should be able to give a robust safety based argument for taking their Tx with them to recover the model, if it has landed on the normal landing/take-off area. Conversely, it is difficult to see how any such argument could be made for candidates using 35MHz or 27MHz equipment.

10/03/2017 14:39:05

smile d

10/03/2017 14:33:13
Posted by Martin Harris on 10/03/2017 14:21:41:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 10/03/2017 14:10:23:

2017 Guidance document is at **LINK**

Andy - I'd forgotten that there is a dedicated scheme website and searched for this latest document under the achievement scheme documentation on the main BMFA site (https://www.bmfa.org/Downloads/RC-Achievement-Scheme-Downloads).

Perhaps these records should be deleted and links to the new site added (more?) prominently?

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/03/2017 14:30:34

It's the same documents in both locations.

10/03/2017 14:10:23
Posted by jrman on 10/03/2017 12:59:23:

BMFA "Guidance for Test Candidates" specifically FW 2016 Edition A test cl. h) states that "it should be agreed beforehand whether the Tx is taken with them" when retrieving the model whereas for the B test cl. m) states "the candidate should NOT take the Tx with them"!

Contradictory or what? Surely the Guidance notes should be consistent. My recommendation is to take the Tx with you unless it's not on 2.4 gHz when the Tx is left with a "competent" person.

2017 Guidance document is at **LINK**

The gudiance is consistent in there.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 10/03/2017 14:12:38

10/03/2017 13:57:25

They weren't excluded without justification. An essential element of the fixed wing A and B tests has always been managing the momentum and energy of the aircraft. For some small and lightweight aircraft this element isn't there. The lower weight limit was a pragmatic and practical way of ensuring the element remains in the test.

Thread: BMFA Northern Area Summer Fly-in July 22nd- 23rd 2017
09/03/2017 15:40:51

More details at **LINK**

It is to be an informal gathering for any kind of model, including scale, aerobatic, electric, small jets, trainers, helicopters, multi rotors, control line with possibility, of a few simple competitions thrown in. Possibly some night flying on the Saturday evening too.

No pre-entry is required, just turn up & fly.(A cert solo)
………………………………

Important due to horse racing fixtures, entry to the park will NOT be available until 10 am on the Saturday

Directions: Exit at junction 32 on M62, drive half a mile towards Pontefract, where you will see a pair of white gates on the right-hand side, to the entrance (nearest post code-WF8 4QD).
Sat Nav: 53o – 42’ – 4.83” N, 1o – 19’ – 34.14” W
(To help prevent traffic congestion, when approaching from the M62 please proceed to the roundabout just past the gate and come back on yourself, to enter the site with a left turn into the gate).
…………………………………………………
C.D. for the event is Tim Haigh (BMFA Northern Area Chairman)
Mobile: 07778 792 349
e-mail:
chairman@na-bmfa.org
………………………………
Limited camping/caravanning is available.
………………………………

A BBQ will be available at lunch times, plus tea/coffee all day.
Ample toilets on site.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 09/03/2017 15:41:58

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 09/03/2017 15:42:34

09/03/2017 14:04:17

When the BMFA News lands on your doorstep any day now, turn to club corner and have a read. I talk a little about the BPCs

08/03/2017 12:43:33
Posted by Phil Green on 07/03/2017 22:31:56:

Most of tonights chat at the club was about the BPC.

I'd never heard of it until now. Have I been hibernating?

Cheers
Phil

The answer to your question about hibernation appears to be yes!

Any achievement scheme changes have been notified in the BMFA news, the BMFA website and the Achievement scheme website at **LINK**

You can subscribe to the achievement scheme website too to receive email notifications of any news. There is also now an achievement scheme facebook page at **LINK**

The presentation slides from the recent Achievement Scheme roadshow can be downloaded from **LINK**

Details of the BPC's are from Pg51

Thread: North East Area BMFA Roadshow
02/03/2017 13:31:02

Details at **LINK**

Thursday 20th April 2017

The BMFA North Eastern Area Roadshow.

Thursday 20th April 2017, at the Malleable Social club, 345 Norton Road, Norton, Stockton TS20 2PH. The North Eastern Area, intend to give its members the opportunity to discuss all things BMFA. Including changes to the achievement scheme, rule changes, anything to do with your insurance cover, but most of all get an insight to The BMFA National Centre, from the people who are involved, instead of listening to all the inaccurate rumours.

In attendance on behalf of the BMFA will be, Manny Williamson Development Officer, who will discuss anything to do with model flying and the BMFA, but as a starting point Manny will cover insurance, and the National Centre. Andy Symons Club Support Officer, will cover the Achievement Scheme, and developments in terms of proposed European legislation and the work that is being undertaken to protect model flying in the UK.

The Evening will be fairly informal, with the members leading the discussion, subjects being led by the questions that are raised.

So, the North-Eastern Area invite any club or country member, to come and chat with your Area Officers and some of the Bmfa staff, to try and resolve any issues you may have with model flying and its legislation. You can get accurate and up to date information on the most prestigious project the BMFA have undertaken. The meeting starts at 19.30, the club has a large car park and an excellent range of beers and lagers as well as most spirits on sale.

The Malleable club is easy to find as its about 1/2 a mile of the A19 on the A139, Norton road, heading towards Stockton. heading towards Stockton, for more information contact Thomas Jones North Eastern

Area Delegate on 07728290784.

Thread: BMFA Achievement Scheme Roadshows
02/03/2017 13:28:30

Theres a report, pictures and the presentation slides available to download from the achievement scheme website at **LINK**

Also available from the Acheivement Scheme Facebook discussion group at **LINK**

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 02/03/2017 13:28:51

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
SHREK
Overlander
Skip Model April
CML
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
Q: How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?

5 to 10
 10+
 15+
 20+

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us