By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Symons - BMFA

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Symons - BMFA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: LMA v BMFA insurance
23/01/2017 21:07:43
Posted by LMA Dave on 22/01/2017 22:58:18:
Posted by PatMc on 22/01/2017 21:12:17:

Is LMA membership without their insurance available ?

If you are a BMFA member then no as that offer is not available to LMA members from the BMFA it is as simple as that.

The BMFA put forward that offer a couple of years ago, however it was rejected.

23/01/2017 12:34:32
Posted by Peter Christy on 23/01/2017 10:30:28:The area in which I now live has had no representation even for clubs for a number of years now. Surely, for an organisation that insists that the clubs are its members, dis-enfranchising a whole county is even worse than the dis-enfranchisement of country members!

Hi Peter

This is somewhat incorrect, a number of years ago there was a quite fractious dispute in the South West area which happened to be along Devon vs Cornwall lines, so at that time and with full agreement of clubs in the South West 2 "sub-areas" were formed, however the Devon area decided they didn't particularly want the area meeting system as such so pretty much dissolved the sub area committee, again a decision by the area clubs not the BMFA, the area was administered by the Hon Sec, Robin Sleight, recently deceased, but the new Hon Sec will be continuing in the role. The Devon area clubs were stillr epresented at council meetings however by the South West area delegate as before so it is completely incorrect to say they have had no representation, they have had the same representation as before.

It should be pointed out that when it was suggested the sub area return to having the more familiar area system they decided they would like to carry on as now. So to sum up the area clubs are represented and the system they are ciurrently working under is what the area clubs want.

22/01/2017 16:32:55
Posted by Graham Chadwick on 22/01/2017 14:25:54:

Just to clarify my own views,

I DO NOT object to the fair membership fee at the present level.

I do however object to the insurance fee being set at 3 times the price it actually costs the BMFA. Its not relevant you perceived value, its the real cost we are talking about. (charge the cost £11+ £5 administration fee ) Dose that sound fair to you?

I do think the annual cost to OUR club of the magazines is ridiculous in these days of the internet. (Don't be patronizing about older members, we are not all sat mumbling to ourselves listening to the home service).

I do think the National flying sight is a vanity project that will only be a money pit of no benefit the 99.9% of our membership .

And lastly I would like the BMFA to be like some of the other clubs I am a member of and work to benefit its members with the negotiation of group discount for the membership, AND THEN PASS THESE BACK TO US, NOT TREBEL AND THEN TELL US THIS IS OUR ONLY COMPULSORY SUPPLIER .

These are my views and I do not claim to speak for anyone else. I am allways very suspicious of those claiming to speak for others, or for me.

Edited By Graham Chadwick on 22/01/2017 14:29:14

Edited By Graham Chadwick on 22/01/2017 14:32:10

As a point of order the BMFA does not sell insurance, it's a members association which costs £33 for senior members, insurance is simply one of the many excellent benefits of being a member. The "ridiculous" cost of the magazine is about £4.40 per member in total for the 6 issues, getting rid of the magazine would then require many other items to be posted out so possiby no saving at all by getting rid, as an aside it is a huge tick in the "plus" column as far as the CAA is concerned that we have a regular publication that gets posted to all members.

Thread: BMFA Electric Indoor Masters, next weekend 14th&15th January
14/01/2017 21:14:30

Excellent first day today. The standard of flying is improving every year. its worth a trip to see

13/01/2017 17:40:25
Its not really a traders event however Fast-lad are here and Horizon have A display too.
Practice is underway.
Entry to the spectator area is from the balcony this year so don't go downstairs.
12/01/2017 08:41:24

Only 2 days to go!!! Come along and say hello and the chance to win some great raffle prizes including subscriptions to RCM&E!!

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 12/01/2017 08:41:35

11/01/2017 16:11:45
Posted by john stones 1 on 11/01/2017 15:57:26:

Where the add ons the incentive to affiliate from the beginning, or are they/some later additions ?

John

We are constantly reviewing the benefits and looking for extra benefits that can be added. In the last 2 years we have added the free Club Equipment insurance and club website hosting.

11/01/2017 15:10:39
Posted by john stones 1 on 11/01/2017 14:52:39:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 11/01/2017 14:08:48:
Posted by john stones 1 on 11/01/2017 13:57:47:

Usual stuff again i see, yes our club chose to affiliate, yes it was democratic, yes you chose where you live (work permitting) yes buying BMFA and LMA is no biggie to a lot of folk, But only allowing BMFA insured members to join your club means it's a "closed shop" so to repeat myself. The BMFA insist ALL members be ensured by them and there may be valid reasons why, so defend that rather than attack individuals who question things ?

John

It is simply so the extra insurances and benefits can be extended to the club, there is a cost for them. Its a partnership, if the club wants those extra insurances and benefits the "cost" is all members have to be BMFA members. If you prefer to seek those extra insurances and benefits elsewhere (and have to pay for them) you are of course free to do so.

The BMFA does not insist clubs affiliate, clubs weigh up the benefits and decide if they wish to.

Thanks Andy

So it's a deal that clubs enter into, (if they choose) to theirs and the BMFA's benefit.

Stop getting yourselves worked up over the term "closed shop" folks there's lots of em about.

John

That pretty much the size of it. If it's a closed shop that is simply because that is what the club and it's members have decided. A bit like deciding they are a fixed wing only or a helicopter only club etc.

11/01/2017 14:08:48
Posted by john stones 1 on 11/01/2017 13:57:47:

Usual stuff again i see, yes our club chose to affiliate, yes it was democratic, yes you chose where you live (work permitting) yes buying BMFA and LMA is no biggie to a lot of folk, But only allowing BMFA insured members to join your club means it's a "closed shop" so to repeat myself. The BMFA insist ALL members be ensured by them and there may be valid reasons why, so defend that rather than attack individuals who question things ?

John

It is simply so the extra insurances and benefits can be extended to the club, there is a cost for them. Its a partnership, if the club wants those extra insurances and benefits the "cost" is all members have to be BMFA members. If you prefer to seek those extra insurances and benefits elsewhere (and have to pay for them) you are of course free to do so.

The BMFA does not insist clubs affiliate, clubs weigh up the benefits and decide if they wish to.

11/01/2017 09:43:47
Posted by john stones 1 on 10/01/2017 23:10:24:

Question, lets say all my club bought our own BMFA online, meaning we didn't meet the minimum requirement to be an affiliate, what would we lose as a club.

Or if you prefer, what extra benefits do we get for being an affiliate ?

John

John

For a brief overview see **LINK**

For more details see **LINK**

There is also support from the Area too (portaloos for events for example in the Northern Area)

08/01/2017 21:20:02
For exec officers and tech committees you do.
When I say as required by HMRC i meant they are submitted with whatever auditkng is required for a company the size of the BMFA. The accounts are audited, an item at the agm is to appoint the auditor. Accounts side of things is really not my thing though. I do know that the accounts manager is a real stickler and makes sure we account for every penny and as efficiently as possible.
08/01/2017 21:08:25
With regards to the accounts which really isnt my dept, they are audited to the level that is required by HMRC by the appointed auditor.
08/01/2017 21:06:57
Rich

The support for country members is the smae as for those that join through clubs, about 2/3 of country members are also club members btw.
Where do you thi k country members fly though?? Either at club sites, public sites or on land where it is permitted. Many of those locations its only possible because of the historical and ongoing work that the BMFA do.
08/01/2017 20:48:50
Posted by Percy Verance on 08/01/2017 20:22:16:

But seemingly don't appear to support the other 30 odd thousand members to the same degree.....

What do you base that on? There is constant ongoing work protecting flying sites, both club sites and public sites open to all fliers, members or not. Then of course there is the ongoing work with the likes of EASA, being led very much by the BMFA CEO.

What is wrong with those that are interested in competition supporting and promoting competition? It is vital for all model flying in the UK that we have a healthy competition scene, it shows we are a credible sport, and even if you consider it a hobby and have no interest in competition you benefit from the recognition we have as a sport. There are quite a few flying sites, again both club and public that only exist because we are a recognised sport.

Of course we could let the competition side of things wither away however we would all be a lot poorer for it with many less sites available to us, and for the record the bulk of BMFA resources and time and effort is spent on assisting that 30 odd thousand members you mentioned.

Finally the vast majority of attendees at the 1 black tie dinner a year that is held to recognise the achievements of those that have reached the pinnacle of their particular discipline pay for their ticket and most of the others have it funded out of the contest fees from the particular competition that they won.

08/01/2017 20:36:01
Posted by Percy Verance on 08/01/2017 20:11:46:

That's fine Pat. I didn't particularly see or understand why the BMFA spent what seemed like an inordinate amount of time promoting things like control line speed and team race events etc, but they do......

Still, as far as I'm concerned they can do as they please now..... smiley

Actually it's the control line flyers that promote control line events, just as it's the scale fliers that promote scale events, etc etc etc

Thread: BMFA Electric Indoor Masters, next weekend 14th&15th January
07/01/2017 18:03:15

Quick reminder about the BMFA Electric Indoor Masters, now just a week away. Once again RCM&E are a main sponsor (many thanks Dave) Some of the best indoor aerobatic pilots in the world have entered. Theres even a chance to win a week for 2 at the RC Hotel in Corfu as well as other raffle prizes from our sponsors, Fastlad Performance, Horizon Hobby UK, MT-Foamies, Opti-Power, RCM&E and RCMW!! Only £5 entry for spectators.
Well worth a visit!!

**LINK**

05/01/2017 18:54:16
Bruce
The standard cover you get as a BMFA member is worldwide cover.
Cheers
Thread: Bmfa payment
28/12/2016 05:26:05
Reminder cards only go to country members those that join through a club dont get them. Worldpay, as mentioned above is a standard online payment gateway. The office is back open today from 9am though if you want to pay over the phone.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 28/12/2016 05:26:36

Thread: Training Log Book
15/12/2016 13:45:09

See Page 64 of "A Flying Start"

**LINK**

Thread: BMFA online joining and renewals portal now active for 2017
01/12/2016 08:22:24

Support the association doing the most to support all model aircraft flyers.

See **LINK**

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 01/12/2016 08:22:36

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Slec
Overlander
Advertise With Us
CML
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?
Q: Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?

Dad
 Mum
 Partner
 Son
 Daughter
 Grandson
 Granddaughter
 Friends
 Other
 No-one else

Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues