By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Keith Lomax

Here is a list of all the postings Keith Lomax has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Non Phone line broadband
21/08/2017 15:04:05

Many years ago there was an ISP in Leicester that used a small radio dish on each house to deliver the service (looked a bit like the old BSB "squarial". I know a few people that had it, and it had a high installation cost offset by cheaper monthly costs than phone based services. This was in the days when a "good" broadband speed was 1Mb.

The service was great except it didn't work in storms, or if your neighbour had tall trees, and when the company went bust everyone lost out.

Thread: Property damage
21/08/2017 14:59:02

It might depend on the nature of the damage - if, for example, they said that the only way to get into a locked bathroom where the patient was in trouble, they had to kick the door in, it would probably be considered justified. If they were careless and scratched your wallpaper with their bags, you would probably have a strong case.

Thread: Aldi Special - How far off topic can we get?
21/08/2017 10:11:37
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 20/08/2017 21:47:25:

Please stop talking about fancy foods, I have Type two diabetes with complications, so I am more or less restricted to bread and water. sad

Bread is not good - try to find a less starchy source of your carbs.

Thread: Are we being ripped off
18/08/2017 10:43:18

About a year ago, I had a minor leak in my Vaillant boiler. It was a split in the pipe that takes the condensate away from the burner to the drain outlet. Vaillant wanted £180 just for the part - a shaped hard plastic pipe, and would have incurred a second visit from the plumber once it arrived. Six inches of coolant hose from a car engine and two jubilee clips later, total cost about £3 (plus the plumber's initial callout fee).

Thread: Car Insurance
04/08/2017 16:30:23
Posted by Shaunie on 03/08/2017 21:23:47:

My business insurance as an autoelectrician, which is road risks, contents and liability combined

Shaunie,

Have your read the small print of the liability insurance?

My stepson's business is in car valeting, and we had paid premiums for many years for liability insurance. We found out last year that it specifically excludes the vehicle being worked on, and had since a change of wording a few years previously. We tried and failed to find another company that could offer it, and even those charging four or five times the premium did not include it. They consider this risk to be "poor workmanship". The cover only extends to things (the example they gave me) if your water runs across the pavement and somebody slips on it.

I suspect that in your trade it will be very similar.

And I wonder how many people take their cars do the garage forecourt or supermarket car park "hand car wash" and don't realise that a bit of grit on the sponge or chamois that scratches your paintwork is not insured?

Thread: Traplet statement
04/08/2017 11:15:19

Some years ago, a proposal was made to the BMFA Council that we take over a large stock of paper plans, with a doubtful future at that time (I think it was the X-List, but am not 100% on this). At the time we did look into it. The cost of storage alone using a commercial storage company such as "big yellow" (because the environmental conditions are important to prevent deterioration) was about the same as the business plan predicted in sales - without the costs of taking the masters from storage, making copies, and returning to storage each time. In addition there would have been substantial setup costs because the paper plans can't just be left in a pile so a storage frame would have been needed to hang them from, and also the cost of an appropriate copier or scanner and printer. It was a long time ago, and technology has moved on, and I can't remember the exact details of the costs etc., just that it did not make good business sense.

And before anyone suggests using the National Centre, there is a lot of money that would need to be spent before we would have a big enough spare space that was sufficiently warm and damp-proof.

Thread: Car Insurance
04/08/2017 10:55:35

There are a couple of things going on here.

Firstly, it is indirectly the government that has caused the prices to go up. When insurers make a large payout for ongoing medical support following a serious injury, they have been allowed to anticipate that this is not all paid in one lump. Therefore they can invest a slightly smaller lump sum (reduced from the settlement figure by a "discount rate" which earns them interest to add to the capital, from which they then pay the medical fees. Two things have changed - interest rates have stayed low and are forecast to do so, and life expectancies have increased. As a result, the government have reduced the discount rate to below zero - ie. they now have to invest slightly more than the settlement figure. Because this extra cost has to be met by the premiums, these must go up.

The comparison sites (or at lest some of them) are actually owned by the insurance companies - so if they don't get the deal, they get referral commission from the other insurers. eg. the meerkats are owned by BISL - Budget Insurance Services Limited. They now make more money from this than they do selling insurance! Simples!

Another thing that has driven the costs of insurance up are so called "uninsured loss recovery" (ULR) activities. If you are not at fault in an accident, and a third party has been identified who is clearly at fault, then your insurance company will refer you to a ULR company (often their own subsidiary). They will then negotiate on your behalf to get you a hire car, often more expensive than the one that the third party would arrange (on which they get commission), for your car to be repaired at their choice of bodyshop (on which they get commission), for their preferred lawyer to negotiate any financial settlement (on which they get commission), etc. Because everyone does this, it inflates the costs of settling every claim because those providers have to inflate their costs to cover the commission. These inflated costs then go back into the premium.

Thread: Traplet statement
02/08/2017 21:23:30
Posted by kc on 02/08/2017 15:35:10:

It's worth saying that there seems to have been 2 Sarik companies - Sarik Hobbies may be newer than Sarik Vacform. Sarik Vacform made parts for our hobby for many years I think, with addresses in Bristol & Ledbury.

Saric vacform doesn't exist on companies house. It could have been a trading name, or just not a limited company?

02/08/2017 13:59:03
Posted by kevin b on 02/08/2017 13:09:37:

The fact that the Directors already had another company ready and able to purchase the assets is open to speculation.

They have been directors of Sarik Hobbies since 1997 and 2010 respectively, although up until 2015 it was filing accounts as a dormant company.

Thread: Visiting the UK in September
31/07/2017 09:38:26
Posted by barryt on 31/07/2017 07:06:32:

Which weather forecaster would you use for the area?

BBC is as good as any - they use data from the Met Office (currently). www.bbc.co.uk/weather

It is in a well presented format, searchable by location (nearest town to OW is Biggleswade) which you can then save in favourites. It has hourly forecasts for about three days, then three hourly for another two, then twice daily for a further five. It is updated quite frequently as well.

Just over the hill from OW and about five miles away is Cardington - just outside this village is a pair of colossal hangars that housed the UK's development of airships. One of them is currently the home of the "flying bum" - also known as the "Airlander 10". This is reportedly the worlds largest aircraft - presumably by volume, and is a modern take on the concept of an airship. The last time I went past (in May) it was moored outside because they had been doing flight tests at that time. If you are there on a weekday you may even see it flying.

30/07/2017 10:54:19

Posted by kc on 29/07/2017 19:57:29:

but anyone flying needs a BMFA B certificate and insurance.

B Certificate is only needed for flying radio control (not Free Flight or Control line) - if you are a member of another country's National body and have a similar/equivalent certification then contact the organisers in advance (via www.modelair.info) and explain, and they are likely to be accommodating if you can provide a link to the content of that test.

Insurance can be obtained on the day from the BMFA stand for £5 for 30 days cover.

There is usually the opportunity to turn up and "have a go" at control line carrier deck.

To those who have posted above regarding the aircraft at Old Warden, Shuttleworth get very upset when you call it a museum. It is a collection of vintage aircraft. The difference is that nearly everything there is airworthy (various aircraft mentioned above but the collection also includes the world's oldest airworthy aircraft, a Bleriot, and my all time favourite aircraft ever the De Havilland comment "Grosvenor House" - although that was out when I was there last week). The term museum, to them, implies "old and past it".

Edited By Keith Lomax on 30/07/2017 10:55:37

Thread: EASA NPA 2017-05
25/05/2017 15:26:05

The CAA will take the route that requires the least on-going workload to administer.

24/05/2017 09:59:46

They key point that I was trying to get across is that BMFA, through our CEO, has been very active in the discussions as we have supported his involvement with Europe Airsports (EAS) who are fronting all modelling associations in the discussion with EASA.

If you want the political slant on this, EAS is having to use the French and German MEPs to influence EASA, as they carry a lot more clout in Brussels than the UK MEPs.

23/05/2017 14:23:15
Posted by Erfolg on 22/05/2017 20:36:59:

I am wondering if the BMFA negotiating team have a group of readers such as Matty et al, who are going through the discussion documents, line by line etc. Then preparing a set of supporting notes, with respect to issues as discussed here, again paragraph by paragraph, clause by clause.

EASA won't negotiate with individual national associations (understandable as they have 32 to deal with). They don't even negotiate with "competent authorities" (CAA) individually.

However, Europe Air Sports (EAS) is an umbrella body who are negotiating with them. Their lead expert for model aircraft just happens to be the BMFA's CEO, and as you could guess, he is all over this.

He is also working very closely with the CAA to agree a joint position - because the interpretation of the EASA rules will be implemented by the Department of Transport and CAA want to present them with a unified approach.

Thread: Glossary - your forum needs you!
22/05/2017 15:41:32
Posted by Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 21/05/2017 22:13:29:

Hi All , as a foreigner, the RCM&E glossary is very important, so I have noticed that the explanation for the US abbreviation PNP is missing ... I think it is pronounced Plug and Play (plag'n play). These are actually RTF models but the last word will give Mr. Moderator who is on duty tonight wink 2...thanks Sir !
Rgds

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 21/05/2017 22:14:52

I suspect that this comes from the PC arena. In the days when USB was a new thing, Plug and Play meant that you could connect your new device to your PC and it would download the drivers and start to work.

Of course, with the vaguaries of Microsoft, most IT people called it Plug and Pray.

Thread: Scaling up - advice needed
18/05/2017 13:27:54
Posted by Airhead on 14/05/2017 20:29:36:
My approach is a ballpark calc based on power to weight. If you double the size of a plane, it's weight is 8 times the original (roughly, ballpark figures remember) as it's twice as wide, twice as long & twice as high. 2x2x2=8 so you want an engine with 8 times the power.

This process only works if you are using proportionally thicker wood.

If the plan is frame built using 6mm square, and you increase the dimensions by, say 14% then you are only increasing the weight by 14%, For any sheet covering or 2-dimendional structures (ribs, firewalls, servo trays, etc.), then it adds about 30% to those components (1.14 squared). Add in a bit for a larger fuel tank and the bigger engine, and you are probably increasing the weight by 20-25% overall.

Thread: EASA NPA 2017-05
17/05/2017 16:01:13

The BBC short video on Guernsey's "drone fence" says "stops it and sends it back to where it came from". This would suggest that all it is doing is blocking the signal and relying on the failsafe being set to "return to home". If you set the failsafe on the other side of the prison, then the return home path will overfly the prison. Some sort of trigger to release the contraband mid flight (could just be a DT timer) would overcome this problem.

Thread: BMFA Buckminster opens Monday 8th May.
10/05/2017 15:15:30
Posted by Steve J on 06/05/2017 09:28:09:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 05/05/2017 11:37:52:

Day pass for flying is £6.

Has the BMFA published an estimate for the annual running costs of the NFC? I am curious as to how many £6 day passes it would take to cover it.

Steve

Yes - there were some figures presented at the AGM - these are based on estimates for usage and costs. This is still very much a work in progress as we will learn from experience.

As well as the £6 per day usage, the main income is from either flightlines, or the whole flying area, being rented out for contests - most of the competitive disciplines have been suffering for years due to lack of available sites. (This is why people are advised to check the calendar on the National Centre website before planning a visit.)

Broadly speaking, usage of the site is hoped to cover the running costs. The rental for a few years will mostly be covered by the ongoing generous sponsorship from the insurance brokers. Future phases of development are dependant on money from other sources - donations / grants / sponsorship and any surpluses from ongoing operation.

Grants is an interesting area - when we have previously made enquiries, we were told that these mainly work on match funding and now that we have something to show this is now in a position to be further investigated.

Thread: Aeromodellers or model flyers?
02/05/2017 14:36:32
Posted by PatMc on 30/04/2017 22:34:32:
Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 30/04/2017 22:12:45:

As I pointed out in another thread, the Society of Model Aeronautical Engineers transmuted into the British Model Flying Association.

That should answer the question I suppose wink

Yes, our national society dropped the inaccurate grandiloquent title for a more honest if mundane name. wink 2

I don't have a particular axe to grind as I got involved in SMAE/BMFA activities at around the time of the change, after the decision had been made.

We are still the Society of Model Aeronautical Engineers Ltd. The AGM is the SMAE AGM. However, we are now SMAE Ltd. trading as British Model Flying Association.

My preference is to assemble a kit, and I have built from plan. However, I would not consider that Aeronautical Engineering. Those of us who are clever enough, and have the time to design and build their own model are worthy of that mantle. Therefore the latter name is appropriate to me, and I suspect a high majority of our members.

Also, it was felt that the name change was a key part of gaining recognition of model fling as a sport.

Thread: BMFA NAtional Centre website launched
22/03/2017 15:58:28
Posted by Dickw on 22/03/2017 12:47:03:

He just means that even those within the BMFA organisation running BMFA organised competitions will also have to pay for their events, and will not be subsidised by others.

Some people might have expected otherwise.

Dick

Thanks Dick - Pretty much spot on. Nobody is exempt from paying for their use of the site.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
SHREK
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us