By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Keith Lomax

Here is a list of all the postings Keith Lomax has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Long wait for car parts
23/10/2017 11:38:51
Posted by Martin Harris on 20/10/2017 15:36:55:

Some may, Keith, but that wasn't my experience after an old boy suddenly decided to alter course on a 2 lane roundabout and drove into the side of my car. After stating that I was uninjured there was no talk of claiming for anything.

Glad it went OK.

About 15 years ago, I worked briefly for an insurance company that had their own "Uninsured Loss Recovery" organisation, working under a different name but a wholly owned subsidiary. They also own the Meerkats comparison site. We parted ways after a few weeks because I questioned some of their business practices (which was appropriate for my role) and they disagreed with what I was saying. During that time, I got a "drains up" view of how the ULR division operated.

Thread: A scam abusing Dyson cleaner owners
23/10/2017 11:28:35

Watchdog's Rogue Traders did a bit about these companies (there are many) a few years ago. You can probably still find it by searching on their page on BBC website. One of the findings was that the replacement filters (which are not needed as the originals are washable and, as reported above, never need replacing) are vastly inferior to the originals, more expensive than branded ones, and not as effective at catching the dust.

SWMBO has a Dyson hand held and it frequently gets blocked in the flexible pipe within the motor brush head - if you lose sucking efficiency, or it cuts out after a few seconds, that is the first place to look. If they left you the original head, check it out and clean it up - it will probably outlast the "new" replacement.

Thread: Long wait for car parts
20/10/2017 14:49:12

The claims handling company will also appoint, pay (and claim a mark up on) a solicitor to pursue your "uninsured costs" and compensation for your non-existent injuries. They will assume that you want to claim and even tell you how much you will get despite not having seen any medical reports - even if the reports exist.

About 8 years ago my wife's car was damaged shortly after she and her son (who was driving) got out having parked it at the side of the road. The solicitors insisted that they were each entitled to about £3k. We told them where to stuff their fraudulent claim.

Thread: Free flight Kent outdoor flying
20/10/2017 14:36:02
Posted by Martin Dilly 1 on 20/10/2017 10:56:50:

Because free flight needs large open spaces, clubs flying this discipline tend to have members from a much wider area than their name would suggest. For you the Crawley club (check the BMFA website for a contact) might be the best bet. They fly on Ashdown Forest for contests, but may have a local field for trimming. Otherwise the Croydon club (not the Croydon Airport one) have members ranging from Faversham in Kent, to Ealing in West London, and sometimes fly on Epsom Downs, Beaulieu or wherever the contests are.

To expand on Martin's post, the "Society of Aeromodellers", previously known as "Society of Antique Modellers" organise events in various locations, predominantly targeting vintage and nostalgic models - there are two UK chapters of this primarily US organisation - SAM35 and SAM1066, I believe that SAM35 is the larger. Check out sam35.org.uk.

(one of the biggest debates is whether "antique" refers to the models or the modellers)

19/10/2017 14:22:47

www.clubmap.bmfa.org

A search for clubs with Free Flight listed as a discipline, with a 30 mile radius centred on Ashford covers pretty much all of Kent and finds 8 clubs (one of which may be just over the border in East Sussex). It wouldn't take long to contact each of these to find out whether they actively fly FF or just a few members that do so occasionally in a predominantly RC club. They may also know of any local FF flying outside of the club environment.

Thread: Plumbing help
06/10/2017 09:50:19
Posted by onetenor on 05/10/2017 22:19:41:

Re plumbing for a combi boiler does not entail a huge amount of work if you have an intelligent and not greedy plumber. I've done quite a few in my time . The old header tank can be left in situ or taken down as you choose .The hot cylinder is best removed to give you more space in the airing cupboard.It mainly involves cross linking the piping the old vent pipe can be removed to give a tidy look . The new boiler fits where the old is now. All pressure problems cured ..

The hot cylinder is made of copper and has a substantial scrap value - when I had mine done 4 years ago it was over £40. Make sure you agree in advance with the plumber if you get to keep it and weigh it in, or if it is his (tax free) perk of the job.

Without the hot tank, the airing cupboard becomes a cupboard.

04/10/2017 09:10:04

Building on Percy's - the supply pipes to under the sink are usually 13mm which is plenty. The screw into the bottom of the tap is usually smaller so that you can get two pipes up one hole in the sink. These can be either achieved with a flexi-pipe or a pipe that starts at 13mm and gets narrower (to about 8mm), and then screws into the tap. The 13mm end is usually, but not always, connected to the supply pipe with a compression joint rather than soldered. If they are flexis, I think they always have a compression joint, and the whole of the flexi section is narrower.

My guess is that there is a piece of muck in the pipe that has lodged at the point that it narrows - with the stop cock turned off, disconnect the compression joint and unscrew from the tap. Either blow, or push a wire coat hanger, up the pipe and see if anything drops out.

Thread: Visiting the UK in September
03/10/2017 15:14:35

Thanks for the feedback - glad we were able to help.

Thread: Heads Up
02/10/2017 11:26:54

I had something similar on a mobile phone account - looking to install an app, a family member searched for it in the app store and downloaded what should have been the app but did not work. They then started to send him marketing texts twice weekly that cost £3 each to receive. Because we have our accounts with lots of inclusive minutes, I check any non-included charges so was able to spot it quite quickly and get it closed down.

Thread: BMFA NEWS
28/09/2017 09:16:45
Posted by The Wright Stuff on 27/09/2017 09:12:19:

So, Bernoulli or Newton?

Discuss!

Definitely Newton (He's British, don't you know). Now we will be getting Brexit we can ignore EU science.

Thread: Are we being ripped off
26/09/2017 09:48:05

If your parts supplier didn't make a few quid mark-up on each item to cover their costs and generate a bit of profit, they would soon go bust, and we would lose another cog in the machinery that keeps the model trade running.

Thread: Autumn.....
26/09/2017 09:34:27
Posted by McG 6969 on 21/09/2017 19:38:51:

If I recall correctly and following my ancient teachers, Autumn was beginning the 21th of September... frown

It is the day when sunrise and sunset are closest to 12 hours apart at the equator. Due to leap years it can move between 21st and 22nd September, in the same way that the Winter Solstice can be either 21st or 22nd December.

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
19/09/2017 14:20:17

Too many pages to read through, so apologies if this has been on before.

Driving to the West Country earlier this year to visit family who I haven't seen in a couple of years, on the A303 just past Stonehenge. Tempers were a bit frayed due to having been sitting in the inevitable queue for nearly an hour to do five miles. Just past Stonehenge is a pig farm on the other side of the road.

SWMBO says to me "they look like some of your relatives".

"Yes", I replied, "In-Laws".

Thread: After 30 years of marriage
11/09/2017 10:10:46

Mrs L and I passed 20 years a few months back.

When we met, she thought that she had found her Mr Right. What she didn't know at the time was that my first name is Always.

Thread: Glossary - your forum needs you!
05/09/2017 09:45:21

Just had a look and realised that a key one is missing

CRASH - an attempted landing that underestimates the altitude of the ground

Thread: Non Phone line broadband
21/08/2017 15:04:05

Many years ago there was an ISP in Leicester that used a small radio dish on each house to deliver the service (looked a bit like the old BSB "squarial". I know a few people that had it, and it had a high installation cost offset by cheaper monthly costs than phone based services. This was in the days when a "good" broadband speed was 1Mb.

The service was great except it didn't work in storms, or if your neighbour had tall trees, and when the company went bust everyone lost out.

Thread: Property damage
21/08/2017 14:59:02

It might depend on the nature of the damage - if, for example, they said that the only way to get into a locked bathroom where the patient was in trouble, they had to kick the door in, it would probably be considered justified. If they were careless and scratched your wallpaper with their bags, you would probably have a strong case.

Thread: Aldi Special - How far off topic can we get?
21/08/2017 10:11:37
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 20/08/2017 21:47:25:

Please stop talking about fancy foods, I have Type two diabetes with complications, so I am more or less restricted to bread and water. sad

Bread is not good - try to find a less starchy source of your carbs.

Thread: Are we being ripped off
18/08/2017 10:43:18

About a year ago, I had a minor leak in my Vaillant boiler. It was a split in the pipe that takes the condensate away from the burner to the drain outlet. Vaillant wanted £180 just for the part - a shaped hard plastic pipe, and would have incurred a second visit from the plumber once it arrived. Six inches of coolant hose from a car engine and two jubilee clips later, total cost about £3 (plus the plumber's initial callout fee).

Thread: Car Insurance
04/08/2017 16:30:23
Posted by Shaunie on 03/08/2017 21:23:47:

My business insurance as an autoelectrician, which is road risks, contents and liability combined

Shaunie,

Have your read the small print of the liability insurance?

My stepson's business is in car valeting, and we had paid premiums for many years for liability insurance. We found out last year that it specifically excludes the vehicle being worked on, and had since a change of wording a few years previously. We tried and failed to find another company that could offer it, and even those charging four or five times the premium did not include it. They consider this risk to be "poor workmanship". The cover only extends to things (the example they gave me) if your water runs across the pavement and somebody slips on it.

I suspect that in your trade it will be very similar.

And I wonder how many people take their cars do the garage forecourt or supermarket car park "hand car wash" and don't realise that a bit of grit on the sponge or chamois that scratches your paintwork is not insured?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
SHREK
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues