By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nigel R

Here is a list of all the postings Nigel R has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RM Trainer
24/02/2018 14:24:06
Oh and thanks Percy! It's always nice when they go that smoothly
24/02/2018 14:22:11
Thanks Jonathan!

Percy it's glass tissue stuck with PVA. I've only got my own laziness to blame as I didn't use any filler or sand it. It's fine if the film is properly stuck to the layer underneath which is where I've had the oops.
23/02/2018 23:01:03

Classic sort of colour scheme seems appropriate smiley

Cabin and fuselage trim yet to come.

Having the wings fully sheeted sure helps when adding the trim. Gives something reasonably solid to press on when cutting back the ends of the bits with a razor blade.

23/02/2018 22:56:52

tmp_17186-20180223_223645-13298805.jpg

Thread: Mark's Ballerina MK1
23/02/2018 12:39:23

Paul

Pete's original thread is here

December 2015 is mentioned in there.

23/02/2018 10:50:18

Those DIY jobs do have a habit of taking longer than they should.

Usually the main customer keeps coming up with new things to put in the project (well, if yours is anything like mine)...

Just read through the whole build again, cracking work. Picked up a few things I missed when reading it before (fuse doublers using collets & 2mm wire, finishing the rear stringers before moving to the front deck & cockpit, plumbing tee as a balsa drill). Great stuff - thanks for sharing.

I'd forgotten it was your RM Trainer build on the site - also very neat work on display again - that makes you at least partly responsible for me picking that one to build over this past winter. smiley

Edited By Nigel R on 23/02/2018 10:51:13

Thread: Tapered Wing Washout
22/02/2018 09:12:34

I'd go with - root section thinner than tip, root LE a bit sharper than tip. No idea what exact section, however, the SD8052 that Timo suggests looks to stall a couple of degrees beyond a vanilla Clark Y, so a transition from one to other would likely work quite well.

Flaps on inboard section, presumably? You might not even need this refinement if you're using flaps.

Thread: Building board help
22/02/2018 08:48:42

"1x2 & 2x2"

Personally, I would forget these and cut some 2" wide strips of 1/2" or 3/4" ply. If you buy a fresh sheet it already has two long factory cut dead flat edges.

Plasterboard on top for the pins, works very well, cheap enough to be disposable - one piece will probably last two or three models before showing its age around the corners.

21/02/2018 22:28:51

Thanks Mike smiley

Yes our site is lovely. Edge of the Cotswolds, makes for a lovely backdrop. You can see a few of the sheep we share the field with in one of those pictures. Occasionally you have to buzz the strip to clear them off before landing!

The strip itself is a perfect match for stuff like this that can come in slow at a steep angle but can become remarkably small with a streamlined heavier model!

For certain, I'll post a few more times on the thread when I have the snag list worked out and some decoration done.

Thread: Solarfilm
21/02/2018 17:37:51

A quick google suggests it was probably Lightex I'm thinking of.

But more google shows that is really quite light, around 65gsm - so more in the film range than usual tex weight. Maybe it is more of a litespan type covering.

Thread: What are the rules?
21/02/2018 16:12:04

Sorry, that was a bit naughty of me, I did it deliberately. devil

The rough and ready calculations will work pretty good for anything lightplane/warbird type size and shape. Which probably accounts for at least 50% of what we fly. Anything else needs a bit of wet finger in the air or more complex analysis! As you've stated, the air that a warbird and an airliner fly in, and the speed they fly at, and their chord, are all different. smiley

Thread: Charging Setup for 4S 5000 size
21/02/2018 15:39:08

Thanks John (and all).

The T6 looks closer to what I was thinking, it also has support for "LiHv" so I assume is the more recent iteration of the charger.

Thread: Solarfilm
21/02/2018 15:22:04

Would it be usefull to start a new thread to list the viable alternatives to the various Solarfilm products?

As for 'tex (not my bag in general, but used once and I can see it is excellent stuff) - isn't there also Oratex and World Models Toughlon?

" I think the future looks bleak"

I think the future looks different. Like it always did.

I'm told that in the 50's you either used tissue (cheap, fragile), or silk (expensive, fragile), or nylon (difficult, tough). And dope. Which bent everything it touched into strange new shapes. And that was that. At present we still have many choices of plastic iron on stuff.

Us aircraft model building types are gradually becoming more niche, but will always be around. Like steam enthusiasts, I guess.

Edited By Nigel R on 21/02/2018 15:25:39

Thread: plans
21/02/2018 15:19:12

My mum used to run out of wool all the time

21/02/2018 15:12:17

As David alluded, 'what works' has to be established somehow, and yes, most of us on here know what "about right" looks like.

But, nothing wrong with digging a little deeper.

"Would it be a fair statement to say that TLAR will produce a working, flying model but the maths will produce a working model that will fly in a scale like manner?"

At this point in time, with RC aircraft being the mature thing that they are - first part, yes, second part, the maths just helps remove a little guesswork.

What sort of recipe are you looking for?

Pete's book linked earlier in the thread is good. Also, Dave Boddington's 'radio control primer' (old, but second hand on ebay or similar) has loads of designs in it, the proportions and structures of which can easily be borrowed and recycled.

Edited By Nigel R on 21/02/2018 15:15:53

21/02/2018 14:44:05

Thanks Simon - I'll see if I can get a Go Pro strapped to my head next time I fly (I'm usually by myself).

She'll need some decorating before any more camera exposure though!

21/02/2018 14:40:36

"Surely the 'half the value' must be a continuous function of wingspan,"

My guess is it is a function of the Reynolds the wing flies at. But that is only (indirectly) related to wingspan.

David, I think your theory needs some adjusting...

Take a 777X.

A 777X has a span of 72m (236 feet, or 2835 inches) - your graph suggests a 6 foot airliner model would need to adjust WCL by 83.

Cubic Loading:

777X has 5,025 square feet wing area. Empty weight is about 400,000lbs (6,400,000oz)

WCL Empty 777X = (6400000)/(5025 raised to the power 1.5) = 18.

Note a max takeoff weight (I expect most flights operate closer to this weight than the empty weight) is almost double the empty weight, with a WCL near on 36.

I wonder what Reynolds a Spit and 777X fly at?

Edited By Nigel R on 21/02/2018 14:41:00

21/02/2018 14:06:06

Maiden done smiley

All smiles! She flies great. One click of trim on all three controls. Super slow as the wing loading would indicate but moves quick enough under power - I'd say the power level is just right for the model. Enough grunt to pull her up for a decent vertical before a stall turn. I spent most of the four flights goofing around with low and slow circuits and approaches and touch and goes just skimming the grass on the strip. The landing speed is comically low, with a bunch of up elevator held in it is just childs play to dial in the sink rate using throttle for spot landings at your feet.

With the CG as it is today, I can't get a meaningful stall out of her and no chance of a spin. Way, way more docile than I expected - I will need to move the CG back a bit more to get snaps and spins.

The power train cooling is all good, all three of motor, ESC and batt are cool to touch. I had 3 x 9 minute flights coming down at 25-30% each time, that included a few loops/stall turns/cuban eights/etc as well as some low level stooging.

Basically, I'm made up with that - she's a keeper.

Snag list:

The ESC seemed to lose sync with the motor when snapping the throttle open. Not a dealbreaker but does suggest I might need to dig into the timing settings.

I noticed last night that despite measuring about a gazillion times, the tailplane is low on one side by a couple of mm. I might fix this (a knife slit or two just about tailplane, squeeze and reglue, a film patch)... or I might not mess around with it.

The film covering hasn't quite stuck at the wing root (on the bandage area) - just needs going over again I think.

Balance point needs moving back another 1/2".

The wheels are ridiculously noisy and vibrate horribly when rolling.
21/02/2018 13:46:45

yesyesyes

tmp_32254-20180221_1213031163051639.jpg

tmp_32254-20180221_121320800200648.jpg

tmp_32254-20180221_121328-13298805.jpg

Thread: Charging Setup for 4S 5000 size
21/02/2018 10:00:12

Thanks gents, that's 3 for the ISDT already.

Does the single unit have the same charging "guts" as the double (well apart from the obvious) - but without power supply?

If I'm going to a charger with ~20A capacity I would prefer the flexibility of an external supply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues