By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Cooper

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Cooper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: EBay Ads by Forum Members
19/02/2018 08:04:07

If anyone fancies a 1/2 scale Spitfire (yes, half scale, but the ad says 1/3 scale), have a look at this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-3-Scale-MKII-Supermarine-Spitfire/273064054861?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

B.C.

Thread: Seagull P40 - weak bulkhead / poor design
17/02/2018 09:02:12

This certainly highlights the wisdom of making sure people are behind the propeller when an engine is being started and/or revved-up.

Some ARTFs leave a lot to be desired with the quality of their materials and construction (and the quality of the glue they use). They are notoriously bad in the engine mounting areas, and also U/C mountings. These highly stressed areas have been known to be wonderfully under-engineered with badly fitting bits of thin plywood (daylight visible at the joints) which is then hidden with even thinner balsa. On some of the worst examples, it is possible the twist the engine "box" by hand. Some extra scrutiny is required.

Basically, an engine will not stay in place if it is mounted to flimsy materials which have been plopped together with a couple of blobs of hot glue. . We need to be in front of the "game" and mend things before they break.

The engine bays also need a decent coating of fuel proofer.

B.C.

Thread: Spektrum DX10t
15/01/2018 08:49:21

The DX10t is a large Tx and is designed for pilots who fly with a tray and wrap their fingers around the sticks. The sticks are like tree trunks and have micro switches built-in to them to control the trims.

Definitely not a Tx for those who prefer to fly with their fingers on top of the sticks.

B.C.

Thread: MVVS 90 PORTS
14/01/2018 08:37:54

If the carb needs replacing, an ED carb is worth considering. These exquisite carbs give a boost to the top end RPM and give ultra reliable idling with a crisp pick-up.

They can be bought from Weston UK.

B.C.

Thread: Considering going electric - advice rplease
10/01/2018 08:31:19

I flew electric-powered models on 35Mhz but with Futaba PCM receivers. These gave 100% solid reliability and no hesitation whatsoever.

As has been stated, the cheaper PPM receivers were prone to glitching and twitching with electric motors. They also went "moody" with cheap servos.

2.4Ghz seems to have ironed out a lot of problems but beware, it isn't the Holy Grail -- a careless radio installation might cause some issues.

B.C.

Thread: Happy New Year...
01/01/2018 08:37:31

Happy New Year to one and all.

Happy landings, everyone. yes

B.C.

Thread: Lipo storage, slight swell
28/12/2017 19:52:06

My Lipos are subjected to some serious abuse. High demands are put on them in EDF jets and other high performance models. They get no mercy, but the batteries have high "C" ratings and they generally cope quite well.

Whilst I appreciate the perceived wisdom of putting Lipos into storage mode, the fact remains that they die fairly rapidly if this is done. It is not just me, others have observed the same result.

It's a funny old world sometimes, eh...

B.C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 28/12/2017 19:53:02

28/12/2017 12:33:42

Matty, 

My observations are not meaningless. No, they are not controlled tests in laboratory conditions but REAL observations collected over a number of years in REAL, everyday conditions. In other words, in the REAL world.  It seems that once a Lipo has been charged to 100% from new, they don't like going back to storage mode afterwards.

The results may well be different to what the battery manufacturers are recommending but I can only go on personal experience.

But hey, it's a free country and people are at liberty to keep their Lipos however they choose.

Happy New Year.

B.C. 

Edited By Brian Cooper on 28/12/2017 12:43:38

28/12/2017 07:44:19

I hate to be the purveyor of gloom and doom but from observations done over a few years by myself and others at various different clubs, it seems that the quickest way to kill a Lipo battery is to put it into storage.

Many folk have discovered (to their cost) that after putting their Lipos into "hibernation" for a while, the things don't fully wake up again -- and it makes no difference how much you paid for the battery when new.

If you want to keep them alive, charge them up 100% and keep them charged.

B.C.

Thread: Well Done Harry Hill........
25/12/2017 08:26:57

Yes, I predict there will be many indoor drone disasters today.

Let's face it, with a heady mix of zero flying experience, too much alcohol and a crowded living room, it is never going to end well.

Have fun, everyone. yes

B.C.

Thread: Longer Days.....
23/12/2017 08:37:23

I was at the flying field yesterday (the day after the shortest day) and fully appreciated the extra three seconds of daylight. wink

Roll on summer.

B.C.

Thread: Christmas Caption Competition!
23/12/2017 08:32:33

Quick, hide, before your Facebook buddies see you outdoors and enjoying yourselves.

Thread: NEW POLL - Does your club welcome multirotor flying?
23/12/2017 08:25:56

Generally speaking, rotary wing and fixed wing aircraft on the same patch do not mix well together. . It CAN work when there are only one or two rotary wing pilots, and common sense and give-and-take comes to the fore.

However, it's a "numbers game" and -- as has been witnessed in other clubs -- if there are too many of each at the site at the same time, a potential conflict arises and nobody goes home happy.

In the interest of keeping peace and harmony -- and as our club is 99% fixed wing -- we do not encourage Multi Rotor models.

B.C.

Thread: Legislation Proposal at last
29/11/2017 07:53:08

Personally, I would like to see multi-rotor "drones" regarded in the same way as firearms, ie, you need to have a licence (which has to be produced and checked at the point of sale) BEFORE you can buy one. The licence should not be easy to get and it should be expensive.

After that, each and every drone, by law, should be fitted with a recordable GPS transponder so their flights can be traced, tracked and recalled.

To drag out an old cliché, those who have nothing to hide will have nothing to worry about.

B.C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 29/11/2017 07:54:21

Thread: Fuel Choice?
29/10/2017 10:53:59
Posted by bert baker on 28/10/2017 22:53:27:

Go petrol it's avalible locally

Ahhh, but do you know what's in it....? wink

B.C.

Thread: The 'share your photos' thread (not model flying)
28/10/2017 09:48:56

As the theme for the pictures is non model flying, here is a pic of my young grandson innocently enjoying playing with some bubbles.

bubbles-2.jpg

Thread: Fuel Choice?
28/10/2017 09:31:38

I am always bemused when I see disparaging remarks about Pro-Synth (the fuel which cannot be named).

I "discovered" this fuel over 20 years ago and have never looked back. My engines run cooler, smoother and faster on this stuff, and, unlike the situation when using other fuels, they have a marked reluctance to wear out.

Considering the entrenched and polarised views on this fuel, maybe it should be called Marmite-Synth. dont know

Personally, I love the stuff, and so does my extensive collection of engines. yes

B.C.

Thread: A scam abusing Dyson cleaner owners
25/10/2017 08:10:32

I had one of these Dyson scammers on the phone a few months ago. From the start, he didn't sound "right" so I led him along a bit.

He asked which model I had, so I asked him if he had my customer registration in front of him confirming a model which I didn't have.

"Oh yes, we have those details here", he said.

I then told him I wasn't sure if he had my right address as I might have purchased it while at my old address, so I asked if he had my current one. . Now then, the odd numbers in my street only go up to 39, so I told him I was at number 41. devil

"oh yes", says he, "We have your correct address on our files.

An appointment was made (for which he arrived an hour late). I didn't speak to the bloke but I took his registration number of his tatty white van and passed it on to the police.

Life can be such fun at times... yes

B.C.

Thread: zenoah 38
22/10/2017 09:53:00

I am not sure if a Rexel unit would work . . . but if all else fails, the kill switch could be physically operated by a servo.

B.C.

Thread: my new full range 16 channel Rx is a bit big!
21/10/2017 08:16:30

It is certainly an impressive piece of technology. . I might be missing something, but how do 16 servos plug into it? . Or does it need to plug into another unit to distribute signals to the servos?

B.C.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
CML
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues