By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Engine Doctor

Here is a list of all the postings Engine Doctor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: APC tiny bite
13/12/2017 13:52:09

Cut fingers on a cold day and diesel fuel (ether)getting into cut stung like hell ! The good old days wink

Four strokes  inc Lasers start  easier if well primed and  bounced back against compression . Either a gently flip against compression with a chicken stick or a finger/thumb flip of the spinner and they are away . 

Edited By Engine Doctor on 13/12/2017 13:56:21

12/12/2017 17:25:55

Hi Tom . Sand down the flashing on any prop before hand starting especially APC props ,they are lethal . Sand until you get a smooth blunt edge then check for balance by balancing the prop on a spindle . Sand the heavy prop until it stays where you put it . Glow engines will become with an electric starter as they have lower compression ratio. 

Edited By Engine Doctor on 12/12/2017 17:27:05

Thread: ZOP batteries anyone?
12/12/2017 10:25:59

Be careful  when ordering looks from China. They are likely to post by air and you will get the flack from the authorities when they arrive in the UK.

Thread: P.A.W. 1.49 plain bearing - can't adjust compression
12/12/2017 10:22:27

Be careful with whacking a propped engine. It usually works but I have repaired/rebuilt many engines when this treatment fails. It can result in a bent con rod ,broken gudgeon pin,sheared crank pin or broken crankshaft or a combination of these .The safest way is to remove the contra piston by tapping it out of the cylinder an gently cleaning it and the cylinder where it sits. This usually cures it . If it still sticks then it needs some gentle abrading but be careful as the last thing  you want is a loose contra piston. If not confident then get someone who is to sort it for you. The contra piston should reset to the comp screw with a good flick if engine is primed.

Thread: BMFA Classifieds Scammer Alert
12/12/2017 10:05:24

Very common scam and a quick read is a good indication that it's from aboard. The BMFA classifieds advise you not to put contact details on your add. Response to adds are through the site  via contact seller . Still not fool proof but it puts most thieves/ scammers /scumbags off. Could it be added to this site's classifieds ?

Thread: Field Repairs
10/12/2017 08:37:14

Duct tape has a light side and a dark side and holds the world together !

Thread: Retract issue
09/12/2017 18:15:08

You can't make them fit without cutting them so I would ask the supplier to double check that they are the correct legs. If you do shorten them by the 30mm you need it would possibly interfere with the telescopic movement.

Just had a better look at the pic. The ribs and spars can be trimmed  in that area to allow the wheel to fit and without shortening the leg.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 09/12/2017 18:19:38

Edited By Engine Doctor on 09/12/2017 18:23:58

Thread: Repairing Fibreglass Mouldings
08/12/2017 09:30:23

yes plus 1 for the cyano to hold it while doing repair. Any large holes can be covered with doing film then a piece of litho plate to keep shape while glass sand teen set. Ronseal 2k wood filler is good for finishing the surface and is lighter and sands easier than car body filler.

Thread: What servo for Wots Wot XL
07/12/2017 15:01:07
Posted by john stones 1 on 07/12/2017 14:31:52:

And as your models bigger the weight penalty, don't matter so much, I use these switches, there are others available.

Be careful with these switches and check thoroughly before plugging in a Rx. I plugged an expensive Rx in knowing that it was working a few minutes earlier and it was dead . Stripped the switch down and found power wire pinched with signal wire and insulation had failed . This fed power into the signal wire blowing Rx ! Not much room inside due to charge socket etc .It was only one out of four that I bought but cost me dearly. The dealer offered to replace the switch  ,but blown Rx fell on deaf ears !

Thread: Thread sizes for Amco .87
06/12/2017 17:32:53

The transfer port can be soldered with normal soft solder 60/40 or 50/50  lead / tin should do it . A decent flux will help , something like Fluxite paste will help it to flow. Most of the old side port engines had soldered transfer and inlet ports. Can't help with rank thread but I might know a man who can . I think he still has an Amco 87 I'll ask him at the weekend . The online sites only seem to list the MK 11 Amco 87.

Thread: OS Max .40FS spares and general questions.
04/12/2017 11:20:59

Hello Tom the crank thread is a 5mm x 0.8 pitch . Any decent fixing shop should be able to supply a quality steel nut.

If you google Model engine Crankshaft threads various list come up. Good job it wasn't OS 15 max as they had a odd ball thread 7/32 x 32 , an old ME model engineer thread rarely used and difficult to source replacements .

Thread: ESC problem-Durafly Vampire V2
03/12/2017 10:14:41

Sound like a mix in there somewhere. Try resetting the model memory to factory and start again.

Thread: Dihedral in flying wing design?
01/12/2017 09:48:29

The Zagi by Avicraft had a small amount of dihedral built in as wings were joined on  a flat surface/table with top of wing flat on table. The taper of the wing section gave it the dihedral on the bottom surface.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 01/12/2017 09:49:15

30/11/2017 11:32:19

Hello Tom . Valve collets are not usually a problem as the springs are not very strong. I cut a piece of hard balsa that fits into the cylinder head and touches the valves, this holds the valves in their seatings when you compress the spring . The head is then put on top of this and a good press on the valve spring disc usually releases the collets. Don't forget to do this with all the bits and your hands inside a plastic bag as the tiny collets are very hard to find on a workshop floor and probably very hard to source new ones .

Thread: Scam
29/11/2017 15:54:22

You have to watch out for these scammers . I recently had my e-bay account scammed . The cheeky so and so's ,needless to say a eastern based lot were selling really dodgy stuff on my site getting all the profits sent to some dodgy site and I was being charged the fees! Not only that I could have been done if the police thought I was selling it.

If you haven't used your E-bay account for a while then check it out and look at the e-mail address for payment received for any sales you make . Even e-bay couldn't or wouldn't say how they gained access but sorted it all very quickly

Change your e-mail account password every now and again as well as any bank passwords .

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 29/11/2017 17:11:58

29/11/2017 10:44:44

hello Sharpy . Not a good idea to put your e-mail on this forum . Perhaps mods can delete it for you .

29/11/2017 10:05:20

The 40 FS is nice engine ,very economical and quieter than modern more powerful engines ; ideal for gently flying models. The carbon can be removed with Betterware oven cleaner or carbon remover or similar but do check for suitability for use on aluminium as some are extremely aggressive and can damage the metal. Failing that elbow grease works well smileyDremel tools wire brushes can remove most of the carbon after an overnight soak in cellulose thinners. Valves will need a light re seating/ grinding . I use a grinding past thinned with a drop of paraffin on the valve as it helps the grinding paste to work better and a short length of fuel tubing pushed onto the valve stem to turn and grind them. It only needs a very thin contact line for a good seal . When removing valve collets put the head in a large polythene bag  incase the slip and fly off ! Make sure piston ring is free in its groove. Carbon builds up and holds it in causing lower compression and uneaten wear on ring. Remove it and clean the groove thoroughly . Good luck with restoration.

PS I hate this spell checker thing two edits and it keeps changing entire words ! Arrrgh !

Edited By Engine Doctor on 29/11/2017 10:10:59

Edited By Engine Doctor on 29/11/2017 10:13:36

28/11/2017 16:48:33

Hello Tom . You mention a OS 40 FS and an FP . What engine are you restoring or are you restoring an FS and an FP ? No bearings in an FP is a plain bearing two stroke and the 40 FS is a four stroke. The crank will just slide out of an FP and the prop driver is a "D" section slide on fit. Be careful not to loose the thin thrust washer that fits between the prop driver and Shaft to stop the driver wearing away on the crankcase. If any parts are stiff the heat will always soften the castor thats holding them .

Thread: When it,s not your time To Die!
28/11/2017 10:38:28

I actually saw  a wing come off a big aerobatic model at the Barton Point Spectacular a couple of years ago . The pilot had enough height to get the model into a knife edge flight ,did a circuit and landed flipping it onto it wheels at the last second . The u/c was damaged and I believe the remaining wing tip . But got it down .  Fast thumbs and brain .Don't think the film of full size similar scenario on youtube is  real . Just looks wrong 

Thread: ED MK IV
26/11/2017 18:10:20

I see the pamphlet doesn't lists the ED Hawk 1.5cc diesel that was released in 1962 so yes its a 1960's issue . Never saw the Hawk it was manufactured by Webra for ED . I don't think it caught on or sold in any numbers

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues