By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoff Sleath

Here is a list of all the postings Geoff Sleath has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Taranis Failsafe
24/07/2017 21:12:48

I did exactly the same as Dave Hopkin when I first got my Taranis having been accustomed to a Mux3030 with the on/off switch right out of the way. I was trying to feed in up elevator on my Acrowot 'E'. Of course it reverted to the fail-safe position I'd set which was with too much down elevator with the inevitable result! It just took too long to reboot once I'd realised my stupidity.

I very quickly put in place Andy48's solution with the strap hanger bracket even though I always use a tray.

It was, as Pete B wrote, exciting And not in a good way.

Geoff

Thread: Try not to catch a flying quad copter
24/07/2017 00:22:14

I shudder to think what his reaction would be to the props on the models that were flying at Cosford spinning at several thousand rpm and totally unshielded! What a plonker ... and that's being polite!

Geoff

Thread: Pull-Pull Control Systems
23/07/2017 22:12:03

I used to use fishing trace wire to rig my 1 metre racing yacht but found it difficult to get any strong enough and I got a few rig failures in strong winds. Closed loop on medium sized models doesn't need to be quite as strong so you may be lucky but I get mine from SLEC who also supply all the other parts needed (crimps, threaded ends).

I just pass the wire through once and crimp 3 times with a pair of side cutters, the middle crimp at right angles to the other two and add a drop of cyano as extra security.

Geoff

Thread: post fro china
22/07/2017 11:30:00

It is very quick. I received a digital caliper from Bangood in about a week. It was an impulse buy but at £3.50 inc p&p I couldn't resist it. It's not perfect but it works very well and included a spare battery.

Geoff

Thread: Pull-Pull Control Systems
22/07/2017 11:03:48

Not really a problem provided the friction is minimised. On my DB Tiger Moth with scale(ish) closed loop elevator controls I feed the cables through snake outers to the scale exits. In fact the top cables on the full size feed through a fairlead on the tailplane leading edge as a straight line would take them through the tailplane itself.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 22/07/2017 11:04:28

Thread: Looking for someone to make an ARTF, PNP!
20/07/2017 22:50:07

The HK Phoenix 2k has a 4 servo wing and pretty easy to fly so it doesn't necessarily mean that having both flaps and ailerons means super high performance. In fact being able to use crow braking makes landing a lot easier.

Geoff

Thread: Traplet
20/07/2017 17:33:17

Does this mean RCMW and the other Traplet hobby publications also cease publication?

Very sad because apart from the plans they also sold CNC components which (I think) were cut by SLEC. I bought the plans, a DVD and wooden parts to build a scale Thames sailing barge (about 1100 mm waterline) a couple of years ago and got a full refund because of a mistake in the cutting. Still built the hull though but not yet the rigging.

Geoff

Thread: Man on the moon. Really?
18/07/2017 22:40:23

All my early software was in Motorola assembler and we used all sorts of dodges to keep from using too much ROM (all our s/w was embedded and ran in 2k byte ROM). I always thought the ZX81 was a really good 8 bit processor as was the 6502 in the BBC Microcomputer. Both much easier to use than the Intel 8085.

I didn't start using micros until the early 70s. In 1969 the only integrated circuits we used were analogue operational amplifiers and they cost more than a week's salary (about £35 a throw and prone to failure).

They were exciting times for anyone interested in technology and still simple enough to pick up as you went along if you were using low level languages at machine code level.

Geoff

18/07/2017 12:59:40
Posted by Nigel R on 18/07/2017 08:40:45:

"no quadcopter style stabilisation available at that time"

Here's some more faked things that couldn't have flown and therefore must be actors with strings holding them up, in action, in 1954:

Well I never actually saw the Flying Bedstead but I attended a school about 5 miles away from Hucknall and we always knew when it was being run because we could hear it. I don't think it would have passed most model club's noise tests

Geoff

Thread: DB Cirrus Moth build
18/07/2017 10:55:05

Looked very good, Dwain. Nice, smooth take off and (more importantly!) a greaser landing!

What's the problem with the struts? I assume you mean the inter-plane struts. I've never had a problem with mine on the Tiger Moth and they just hook in on the bottom with a 180 deg hook so they can't easily detach and are secured at the top with bike spokes held in with elastic bands as illustrated on the drawing. I think the method's also shown on DB's web site. Works a treat and overcomes one of the binds of rigging/derigging model biplanes

I've been totally inactive on the aeromodelling front for weeks but I bought a Fugly at Cosford on Saturday as a really quick build to get me going again. My Cirrus is still in its box but WILL be built before too long and this thread of yours will be a big help I'm sure.

Geoff

Thread: Man on the moon. Really?
17/07/2017 14:35:56
Posted by Martin Harris on 17/07/2017 13:15:03:

The simplest PC program these days uses an incredible amount of memory - look at the average download size for even a mobile phone app! Not many of even the simplest of these come in below 1 MB - compare that with colour graphics rich Spectrum games running on 48 KB in the 70s...

Edited By Martin Harris on 17/07/2017 13:29:03

That's certainly true. When we frst started playing with Motorola MC6800 8 bit processors the development systems had 32Kb of RAM and we used cassette tapes to save the data and programs (using Kansas City Standard NOT the awful TRS80 system) so quite reliable. In that 32k I would have an editor (Wordstar? IIRC), an assembler and an emulator so we had control of the hardware fpr testing. Later, when we started using 'C' the editor and compiler were easily accommodated on a 5.25" FDD. The processor ran with a clock speed of 1Mhz! We built all our own hardware and it was all fun.

Now? I wouldn't have clue and I doubt if I could write a line of C but I've been retired since 1995!

Geoff

17/07/2017 11:19:56

I actually saw colour a colour TV receiver in the early 1950s in the labs at Murphy Radio but there were no broadcasts until much later. I worked in the service department at MR when I was a teenager as a so-called dealer's son in training on a minimal wage that just about covered my digs rent. Colour didn't become properly available until after I decided there was zero future in running a small TV retail business in 1961 and bailed out.

Fortunately we avoided NTSC (Never Twice The Same Color) and used PAL (Perfection At Last) whilst the French went for SECAM (System Essentially Different from the American Method) as you'd expect from our Gallic friends

In many ways it was a miracle that the Apollo missions succeeded. I worked as an electronics hardware engineer involved in instrumentation and when micro processors became available we taught ourselves how to use them as logic replacement devices. None of us had the first idea how to write software properly and we had a local college lecturer come in to give us some idea of structured programming techniques. He opined that had the s/w reviews that were then coming in and are now mandatory been applied the project would never have got off the ground. The s/w was probably full of bugs that, fortunately, didn't cause any problems.

The whole Apollo programme was amazingly successful and they even managed to overcome the Apollo 13 disaster without loss of life. The only sad thing is that it didn't herald further exploration as those of us brought up on a diet of Dan Dare fondly imagined

Geoff

17/07/2017 00:10:23

"Seriously, if the Americans had tried to fake it, the Russians - not to mention Kettering Grammar School - would have detected it immediately and shouted it from the roof tops."

Thanks for reminding me, Peter. I totally forgotten about Kettering Grammar School and their enthusiastic science teacher.

Geoff

16/07/2017 21:23:14

John Privett: Absolutely! We didn't have a TV at the time (nor since!) but I borrowed one from the family TV shop because I was determined to witness the moon landings in as near real time as possible. We didn't have a TV licence but we did have a radio-only one so - horror! - we broke the law for a whole evening.

It was a work day and Armstrong seemed to take forever to climb down that ladder and utter the famous (and at the time unintelligible) words "One small step for a man. One giant leap for mankind.". I think we got to bed about 4am!

There is no way it was faked. Forget all the analysis just think how many people would have to be in on the scam - 1000s. Then think how much money there is to be made if just one of them spilled the beans.

Geoff

Thread: Laser 80
16/07/2017 10:14:04

I don't have a Laser but I bought a gallon of Model Technics Laser fuel yesterday at Cosford. I also have a Warbirds Replicas 60" ws Hurricane kit yet to be started. I think an order for a Laser 80 in imminent. It'll be the first glow engined model I've built for ages (years) and I haven't flown a glow powered model for some time but I feel I should try a Laser before it's too late.

I think the 80 is the most suitable for the Hurricane, or should would the 100 be a better choice? The difference in cost isn't really a factor. I just want the right engine for the model.

Geoff

Thread: **NEW POLL** - How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
12/07/2017 12:41:55

Well we need to walk fewer than 20 metres because we drive right up to the pits, so it's 2 metres tops If I'm on my own I leave the car right next to where I'm flying.

Geoff

Thread: LiPo vs. Li-ion
07/07/2017 14:50:35

Capacity v weight is really energy density, I suppose. Power is a function of ESR which determines how much current can be drawn before terminal voltage falls and the internal I^R losses cause excessive heat in the battery cells.

The only Li-Ion batteries we have are the 10S (36v nominal) 11AH ones I've fitted to our flat bar road bikes (my wife's Marin and my Kinesis) but even when we use the maximum power (250 watts) current draw is quite low (7amps) by our standards.

Geoff

Thread: Thrust lines (RCM&E Aug 2017 article)
04/07/2017 22:56:22

... and yet F3A competitors almost exclusively have used electric power for past few years and they demand perfect control in their patterns. I guess they overcome the (alleged) extra gyroscopic effects of electric motors somehow. The latest models have contra rotating propellers either with gear boxes or (in the case of one of my club-mates) two motors with (I assume) a hollow motor shaft and two esc but even before then they managed with only a relatively conventional set up.

Geoff

Thread: glo to gas
04/07/2017 19:58:16
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 04/07/2017 19:23:38:

I bought a Saito FG- 40 petrol the other day. The instructions say, to avoid possible corrosion it is best to use methanol free petrol.

This comes out at around £18 gallon, so not a lot of advantage over glow.

Isn't all petrol methanol free? I assume from your post it's not but I had no idea there was any in normal pump petrol.

Geoff

Thread: Photobucket
29/06/2017 12:45:55
Posted by Peter Miller on 29/06/2017 10:59:03:

Why not just download your pictures frpm your computer to your own album on the forum and then you can just use them on potaings any time you like. This is what I do.

I'm really glad you do that Peter. To lose the pictures from your wonderful build threads would be very sad.

I find storing my few images here quite easy and, as Peter says, they can be used in any postings easily if required.

Geoff

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
SHREK
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
CML
TJD Models
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us