By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Danny Fenton

Here is a list of all the postings Danny Fenton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Repairing Fibreglass Mouldings
08/12/2017 11:25:09

Not sure if it has been mentioned already but you do need to work out if the resin is epoxy or polyester, they don't bond well if you mix them.

Depending on the age sniff the inside of the cowl, if you cannot smell the polyester, sand a small patch inside of the cowl, and sniff it. You will smell polyester easily epoxy doesn't really smell.

Cheers

Danny

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
08/12/2017 11:19:53

Thanks Manish, I have silver soldered before and it is fairly straightforward, but at 1/6 scale just worried the fittings will look overly large?

Cheers

Danny

Thread: Twin power set ups
08/12/2017 10:22:46

Interesting topic And nice to hear the IC side of the discussion.

One thing that people are forgetting is that when both or one larger engine are running you are required to take off and climb. When an engine fails, and as Chris has pointed out, even electrics can, then the idea is not to climb but to not lose height and speed too rapidly. So all that is needed is sufficient power to extend the point of impact

A single (less than half) motor should still put out enough power to maintain airspeed but perhaps in a gentle descent back to the strip. But also as others have said, know your model, and if in doubt or low, close both motors and point your manhole cover at a safe and hopefully soft spot

Cheers

Danny

07/12/2017 17:55:14

Hi Chris, on the plan they are just round, and i might go that way, but the Mick Reeves Stainless sectioned ones do look nice and not that expensive. Even if it is just for the experience I might give them a go

For stainless we will need flux and a suitable blowlamp/torch. For piano wire normal solder will do. Plenty of time to muse on that one.

Cheers

Danny

Thread: Twin power set ups
07/12/2017 16:08:07

I disagree Denis, at least in electric, the power required for a twin is not the same, in my experience as half a single. There are two props and the blown wing aid this. Typically a hundred watt per pound for a single, the sum of two to make 60 watt per pound for a twin.

But if you are referring to IC then i guess you are thinking about trying to fly on one engine? Not a good move in my book, kill the remaining engine and dead stick land.

For example Brian Taylors 71" Mossquito is designed for 2 x 25's

Cheers

Danny

07/12/2017 13:38:43

Thanks Manish, So if I am understanding that right 1/16 x 1/64, that doesn't seem too bad.

Cheers

Danny

07/12/2017 12:30:10

Hi Jose, I bought some fine piano wire for the rigging, I would be interested in the Mick Reeves flat wires and ends. I thought his stuff was for slightly larger models? have you some dimensions??

Just for you Chris.....

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 07/12/2017 12:31:35

07/12/2017 09:09:05

I am not sure I would go with a chrome finish? polished alloy looks different and without the panel lines will just look like a film covering, just my opinion

Exhaust staining.jpg

Who fancies a go at the staining Alclad clear yellow and blue should do it

Cheers

Danny

07/12/2017 00:43:11

Hi Chris, I cannot tell you how big the fasteners are on the Fury but i can tell you how big they are on the Spitfire

These dimensions are of a 50% cad file I have, so double the numbers and divide by 6

dzus at 50 percent.jpg

Can anybody confirm/deny that all DZus fasteners of that period were the same size, as i do not know the answer....

Cheers

Danny

06/12/2017 17:43:10

Hi Richard, I have used the Halfords foil but the width is a little limiting. I use air con stuff from Ebay tbh. Though the Flite metal etc are probably better And more expensive. If fuel is involved then perhaps go with the more established stuff?

Cheers

Danny

05/12/2017 20:13:27

Hi Richard, I use quite an old plotter, a Robo Craft made by Graphtec. The newer version is the Silhouette Martyn and Andy have these.

0954 (large).jpg

The alloy tape is layered to the required thickness, smaller than 1/6 one layer is enough, anything bigger then two layers. The plotter will cut the adhesive foil, though you have to play with the settings to ensure the foil is cut and not the backing

200212dsc_4856.jpg

My Hurricane panels were made by gently forming litho plate and then adhering them to the airframe. This is an option obviously for the Fury

Cheers

Danny

05/12/2017 16:06:53

Hi Chris, I meant to reply ages ago and it slipped my mind sorry about that

I did the Dzus fasteners, if that is what they are, using a double layer of alloy foil in my plotter, looks pretty good if you squint a bit

dsc_6224 (medium).jpg

Cheers

Danny

27/11/2017 11:32:08

Nice one Martin, that does indeed look like the Bryant one.

Thanks for showing us it

Cheers

Danny

Thread: Flair se5a help needed.
22/11/2017 08:45:17

I had a rummage and have the plans but not the instruction sheet, sorry about that....

Cheers

Danny

Thread: PSS A-10 Thunderbolt II - build blog
19/11/2017 01:08:05

That is some super neat building there Lovely to see such attention to detail inside a model

Cheers

Danny

18/11/2017 14:44:50
Well done Chris yes please give your laptop a rest
Cheers
Danny
18/11/2017 12:39:15
I am sure Andy will be along soon to sort us out. But that drawing does look good doesnt it?
Cheers
Danny
18/11/2017 11:39:38
Yes KC is quite right. We are getting csrried away
The curvature does indeed make a difference and the plan sides need to be slightly longer.
You really dont have to go to these lengths the model is a proven design and looks right. I think the process has merit and is why we are exploring it. Even my hero Brian Taylor enlarged tailplanes.....
Cheers
Danny
18/11/2017 11:18:29
Lol Chris
You are right it does look closer. If we can find a good plan view photo we can verify that angle too. Anybody found one?
The Westburg drawing is looking good though
One house point to Chris
18/11/2017 11:17:04
Lol Chris
You are right it does look closer. If we can find a good plan view photo we can verify that angle too. Anybody found one?
The Westburg drawing is looking good though
One house point to Chris
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues