By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Broken Prop

Here is a list of all the postings Broken Prop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vauxhall In The Doldrums.....
18/04/2018 11:32:47

I had a Peugeot 205GTi back in the day. Lovely little car with an engine that just begged to be thrashed to within an inch of it's life.

So I did!

Many times!

Pete laugh

Thread: Avicraft Panic
16/04/2018 14:19:25

The Panic is currently in production (to order) from Avicraft, along with the Moronic and Frantic. The wings are now supplied with ribs and spars in the traditional way, but with the members notched to aid construction. No need for a wing jig!

The Mini series are also being produced to order.

Give Rob Newman a ring on 020 8290 1238. yes

Pete

Thread: Flyaway model, what would you do?
05/04/2018 19:55:58

Ah yes, buddy leads.

When I was learning I was hooked up on a buddy lead with the instructor. He said that he would take off and get the plane flying nice and level before handing it over to me.

In due course he said, 'OK, you have it'.

Waggling the sticks somewhat tentatively I replied, 'No, I haven't'.

There was a short pause before he said, 'Neither have I' and we stood and watched the perfectly trimmed plane fly steadily out of sight.....

It was last seen heading towards Albania (we were in Corfu). Bet it gave their air defences a fright!

Edited By Broken Prop on 05/04/2018 19:56:16

Thread: Useless tools
04/04/2018 16:27:57

U Boat spanner.............

An adjustable spanner that used hinged blades (a bit like feeler gauges) to set the gap. Sold as used by the Kriegsmarine in WW2, by a bloke out of a suitcase at the Great Dorchester Steam Fair years ago.

Unbelievably fiddly to set up and the resulting gap was never accurate. I have grown quite attached to this useless piece of kit over time and often get it out to look at it.

Use it? Not on your Nelly!

Pete

Thread: 'Great News' !
03/04/2018 14:59:13

Ronaldo, you have made a lovely job of that build. Fingers crossed for an uneventful maiden flight.

Pete

Thread: Scam or what ?
21/03/2018 20:08:24

Thumbs up for Call Guardian. Mine has got 52 lines blocked so far and the frequency of cold calls has dropped off dramatically. It works for a while and then you get sold on to another list and it all starts again.

Never mind, the Call Guardian is nowhere near full up!

Thread: Restoring an old Flair Junior 60, Help and Advice needed
20/03/2018 21:19:11

It looks about right to me Mike. The J60 has a very blunt nose, but it can be disguised with a spinner.

20/03/2018 12:02:57

Hi Mike

The Flair J60 is a good model and should fly well. You will not need a powerful engine and the 20 or 26 should be more than enough. Start with a 11" x 6" prop and about 4 degrees of down thrust on the engine as well as some right thrust. Make sure the CG is correct as the plane definitely has 'homesick angel' tendencies!

You will need some weight up front so the brass propnut and wheels will help. Mount the engine as far out on the bearers as you can as this will help as well. Using a Dubro 4 stroke linkage kit may help with the throttle control rod run.

A closed loop system is easy to install for the rudder, but I don't know about fitting one for the elevators. I used a snake on mine but perhaps others can advise. The kit uses a 'U' shaped piano wire elevator joiner as you have surmised. A quick search on the 'net will give you details of closed loop systems.

Rebuild the tail as light as you can and cover it in litespan. These old timers have too short a nose and need a lot of weight up front to compensate for the tail moment. Remember that 1oz added at the tail end needs 4oz of lead up front to balance the plane!

Hope this helps and good luck with the restoration.

Pete.

Thread: It's good to be back!
16/03/2018 11:58:27

Thanks for the kind thoughts guys.

Just having a short break whilst some glue dries and also taking the time to order some spruce strip from SLEC, my favourite wood supplier. I had thought that I had enough in stock, but no, I need to order more.

That means that work on the wings has come to a juddering halt, but I have started the fuselage instead. After that comes the tail with its laminated wing tips, so I am sorting those out now, in advance of that part of the build.

This brings me to a question. I always like to have everything prepared in advance so that when I build an assembly everything is to hand and there are no hold ups. I hate having to cease constructing in order to say, laminate a wing tip. How do others go about their builds?

Pete

Edited By Broken Prop on 16/03/2018 12:01:01

16/03/2018 09:41:42

I have not been well for some time and this has precluded me from doing any serious building. However yesterday I cleared the bench, sat down with a nice mug of builder's tea and spread out the plans. The cat joined me and laid down in her basket on the end of the bench.

Four hours later I had the first wing panel built and what a lovely feeling it was. I had forgotten about the theraputic effects of balsa bashing, even though lack of practice produced (to my eyes) an indifferent wing section.

I found myself thinking about the build all last evening, weighing up the methods involved and trying to forsee the problems ahead. It was a great intellectual exercise and I cannot wait to get back out there today.

Perhaps building models should be available on the National Health!

Pete.

The plane? Just a Playboy Senior but satisfying nevertheless.

Thread: Building Jim Newberrys Puddleduck
02/03/2018 12:33:09

Is the hack one of Whittaker's Bushwackers?

28/02/2018 09:32:42

Puddleduck looks like a good build that should produce a fine plane. It has that 'TLAR' look about it.

I have put the plan away in a safe place pending construction. (Hope I can find it agin when the time comes). I shall be following your thread with interest Dwain.

Liked the balsa cutting guide too and I will be knocking one of those up soon.

Pete

28/02/2018 09:31:34

Puddleduck looks like a good build thaqt shouls produce a fine plane. It has that 'TLAR' look about it.

I have put the plan away in a safe place pending construction. I shall be following your thread with interest Dwain. Liked the balsa guide too and I will be knocking one of those up soon.

Pete

Thread: SLEC
28/02/2018 09:25:10

I'm with you Robert!

Never had anything but exemplary service from SLEC coupled with great wood selection. A first class company to do business with!

BTW does anyone know what S L E C stands for?

Pete

Thread: plans
19/02/2018 18:03:32

Plan shops are generally good value for money John. A lot of them can also scale your plan up or down to suit the size of model that you wish to build. Or print it back to front if you want both wings reproduced and the original plan only has one wing drawn.

The better shops can also scan your plan and reproduce it electronically, either as a PDF or more usefully as a DXF file. Using a suitable CAD program (there are many availabe free on the net) you can then extract portions of the drawing to work on. Even more useful is that you can make up cutting files for laser cutting using the DXF format.

It takes the chore out of rib cutting!

(All of the above is subject to the usual provisos about copyright blah blah...)

Hope the build goes well

Pete

Thread: Best Plane You Have Owned
17/02/2018 20:54:29

Junior 60. When it finally goes to that great scrapyard in the sky, I'll build another one....

Thread: What is the best option? Okay! Second best option?
11/02/2018 20:00:26

Baldyne Engineering in Bromley can do aluminium welding. They regularly weld up cracks in ally wheels (mainly BMW for some reason).

Thread: Design & Build Dornier Do 24
10/02/2018 17:15:36

Robert, this is truly a scratch building master class! You have superb skills.

Looking forward to seeing more soon

Pete

Thread: Swift 82
20/01/2018 14:50:11

That's not messy, it is just been used properly......

wink

Thread: FMS Typhoon
18/01/2018 21:51:24

That's a nice model Cliff. Captures the pugnacious look of the Tiffy very well.

Please let us know how it flies.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues