By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Broken Prop

Here is a list of all the postings Broken Prop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DOH!
02/11/2017 18:31:40

Building a Mini Panic, black on top and lurid pink on the underside (why is another story.....) Four ailerons to cover with Solarfilm. Three went OK but the last one came out pink on top and black underneath. Sighed and stripped it back.

Re-covered it and made a good job of it, only to find that it was still pink on top. Stripped it again and carried out some repairs to the framing, pulled apart by the covering. Sighed deeply and labelled the top surface 'top' in nice clear lettering.

Re-covered it again and was puzzled to note that......yup, it was pink on top again!

On stripping it this time the framework gave up and I had to make a new aileron.

Aeromodelling is character building!

Thread: 80" Playboy Senior
01/11/2017 20:02:16

That is a beautiful looking tailplane Monty. A real builder's model!

I am seriously considering building one as my winter project having seen your build blog. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Pete

Thread: Favourite Tools...
27/10/2017 09:16:36

Caterham 7. Best fun you can have outside of a bed...... wink

Thread: 80" Playboy Senior
25/10/2017 09:44:16

That should make a lovely model Monty. Good luck with the build!

Pete

Thread: Tony Nijhuis 72 Mosquito Build Log
22/10/2017 20:36:15

Mouthwatering....

Thread: Design & Build Dornier Do 24
21/10/2017 19:14:38

Superb work Robert. I can't wait to see this one in the flesh!

Thread: Types of coverings
20/10/2017 10:18:59

yes for Solartex.

Thread: converting paper plans to CAD files
14/10/2017 08:53:03

A slightly simpler version of Shane's advice for computer dummies like me:

Get the plan reproduced and cut out a wing rib from the new drawing. Open up Coreldraw, stick the rib to the monitor screen with Sellotape and use the pen tool to trace around it.

Coreldraw has a 'save' facility that will save the drawing as a DXF file. Most laser cutters will accept DXF files but check which version of AutoCAD the machine will accept. Alternatively save the file as an ESP cutting file.

The difficulty with scanning drawings is that the files produced (JPegs, Bitmaps etc) are raster files. CAD drawings use vector files (such as DXF or DWG) and the conversion of raster to vector is quite difficult. The web is full of spurious advice on how to do it, but as Shane says, you will need a good photo editing program to achieve success.

An alternative program is 2D Design which although it is a CAD program has a facility to accept raster files. It is normally used in schools or colleges as a teaching aid.

Good luck!

Pete

Thread: Fire Extinguisher Disposal
05/10/2017 15:35:00

Over the years I have accumulated a number of BCF fire extinguishers in the workshop, (mainly because I have never had to use one, thank goodness).

Needless to say that through neglect on my part the powder contents have solidified and I understand that the extinguishers will no longer work even though they may still be fully gassed.

The question is, how can I dispose of them safely? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Pete

Thread: The art of Customer service is (not yet) dead
24/09/2017 20:56:12

embarrassed

Thread: building bench
24/09/2017 12:51:42

Being a lazy savage I opted for a low building bench so that I can sit down. I then went to the local secondhand office suppliers and bought a swivelling office chair on wheels. I zip up and down the bench at will. smiley

It works very well for me, even with bifocal glasses.

Pete

Thread: Design & Build Dornier Do 24
17/09/2017 16:50:30

Superb!

That is going to be lovely model Robert.

Thread: Best Makes for a Foam RTF Plane in UK
15/09/2017 21:07:12

Another vote for Multiplex

Thread: Measuring thrust angle?
15/09/2017 15:35:01

Most motorised gliders climb like a scalded cat under power. This is because the model is set up for gliding with a rearward CG and trims to suit. Thus, opening the throttle does what the throttle is supposed to do: make the model climb, but to an extreme. Either feed in some down elevator to compensate or if you have a tranny with mixers it may have 'throttle/elevator compensation' that you can select on a switch to ease pilot load.

Following on from what KK has said, if the glider climbs quickly under power, it will often stall if the throttle is closed quickly, thus losing 15m or so of hard earned height. A lot of glider guiders have the 'throttle' on a switch and so the power is either on or off, leading to the above problem.

One way to avoid it is to bank the model as the power comes off. The turn bleeds speed off without loss of height and you will find that it settles down into glide mode much more quickly this way.

Pete

Edited By Broken Prop on 15/09/2017 15:44:52

Thread: Laser Appreciation Society
15/09/2017 07:30:56

Hi John

Thanks for the tip about the larger sized props. I had thought about using a 15x6 but would have been reluctant to fit the larger diameters for fear of straining the engine. I will follow your advice and experiment after the little beauty is properly run in.

Pete

Thread: Newbie attempts Ben Buck Junior 60
14/09/2017 13:04:21

Hi Tom

I too have the battery positioned under the motor on my J60, with access from the front. There is room to build a battery box for a 2200 LiPo and with the weight of the battery up front you may not need any ballast.

Good luck with the build and please show us some more when you can.

Pete

Thread: Laser Appreciation Society
14/09/2017 12:58:28

Hi Manish

I am afraid that I did not take a video so I cannot share the experience with you. However it was somewhere on a level with transcendental meditation, only with a delicious noise...... rainbow

Seriously, what a lovely engine! Started on the first swing and never missed a beat. Clean and with no oil leaks it made me wonder why I ever bother with Japanese engines. It is swinging a 15x8 at present but I may see if I can get a prop with less pitch. The engine is going in a very large vintage model so I don't need all out performance.

Pete

14/09/2017 11:17:56

I have just run in a Laser 100. It was a deeply moving experience. (sigh)

Pete

Thread: Tony Nijhuis 72 Mosquito Build Log
12/09/2017 06:12:34

That looks very nice Geoff. Can't wait to se her fly.

Pete

Thread: FMS Typhoon CoG
11/09/2017 21:25:54

Hi Neil

As a general guide around 27% of the chord should be good starting point for the CG of most models so if that coincides with the FMS instructions stick to them.

The Typhoon (in common with most warbirds) has a short nose moment. This is because in real life they were hanging a 1 ton engine up front and needed to keep the nose short to balance the aircraft. We do not have heavy engines in our models and so this type of aircraft always needs weight up front to compensate.

I am not familiiar with the model, but can you move the battery forward a little? That would be preferential to adding ballast, which increases the wing loading and raises the stall speed.

Good luck!

Pete

Edited By Broken Prop on 11/09/2017 21:26:52

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
SHREK
Wings and Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues