By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Broken Prop

Here is a list of all the postings Broken Prop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rib extrapolation / interpolation
23/05/2017 16:11:59

Ah, that one I do remember. It is used to produce a ruler to the scale that you require.

Draw a horizontal line to the length of the original item. Mark off any intermediate points, say inch divisions.

Draw a line at an angle up from the origin. Any angle will do, but if the item is not too large, 30 degrees is OK. Mark the new required length at the far end

Draw a line from the right hand end of the horizontal line up to the mark you have just made.

Set your set square to the angle of that line. Draw intermediate points from the original line up to the new line to produce a ruler to the scale that you need.

This method works best if the line that you draw from the end of the original line to the new line forms an acute angle.

23/05/2017 15:34:59

Crikey Bob, I had forgotten all about that method of graphical enlargement (which I originally learnt at school too many years ago for comfort).

I could feel the ancient cogs grinding as I read your post. Thanks for the reminder!

Pete

Thread: Just Engines
19/05/2017 20:40:49

I have just taken delivery of some parts for an OS81 FS pumped, all supplied by Just Engines.

I had initially incorrectly ordered one of the parts and the company was extremely helpful in changing the order and checking for the correct carburettor body. Some of the parts were not in stock but I was told that I could expect delivery in about a week and so it proved to be.

A really professional service, gratefully received.

Pete

Thread: Anet A8
07/05/2017 20:27:12

That all looks very impressive Geoff. I particularly like the concept of a machine that bulids its own updates!

The exhaust stubs that you showed me earlier today are amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Thread: Acrylic paint
06/05/2017 19:34:49

If it helps, I have successfully sprayed Galleria artists acrylic, diluted about 20% with water.

Pete

Thread: Women say the funniest things!
06/05/2017 08:12:35

My wife said I should give up aero modelling. Oh how we laughed.

Thread: Vinyl Cutting
03/05/2017 10:02:10

Thanks for the information guys. I'll give those products a try.

I went on line and found what appears to be a suitable material by searching under 'Stencil Masks' (as used by professional sign writers). MDP Vinyl offer a range of masks in roll form at very reasonable prices, all of which are stated as being suitable for cutting with a vinyl cutter.

One in particular caught my eye as it was for use on flexible surfaces such as fabric canopies over shop windows. It could be suitable for open framed structures such as we use. I have ordered a roll and will report back on its suitability.

BTW the company has a dedicated area for Silhouette Cameo users.

Thanks once again

Pete

01/05/2017 11:37:48

Hi Guys

I have a Silhouette Cameo which is great for cutting vinyl, however I have recently been trying to cut (rather large) paint masks in Frisket film. Abject failure as the film tends to bunch up in the machine, which then gently shreds it!

Can anyone please recommend a suitable paint mask material which the Cameo will cut without problems?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Thread: Gaining / losing altitude on turns
25/04/2017 22:08:14

Hi Tony

Glad to see that you have joined our happy band of brothers. Good luck with the A Certificate.

The throttle is used to make the aircraft ascend and descend, due to the increased (or decreased) flow of air over the wing and hence the amount of lift. The elevator controls the attitude of the plane. As you turn it may be necessary to increase or decrease the throttle gently as you roll out in order to keep flying at the same level. Others will no doubt explain the reasoning better than me.

In addition you may need to take account of the wind direction. As you turn into wind the aircraft will ascend as the airflow increases over the wing and you will need to throttle back a little. Turning downwind has the reverse effect.

Play with the throttle a little in the turns and note the effect.

Good luck

Pete.

Edited By Broken Prop on 25/04/2017 22:09:15

Thread: Multiplex Cockpit Sx 9
29/03/2017 10:40:57

Thanks Frank. It looks like I have some catching up to do. yes

Pete

28/03/2017 18:44:22

'...allows you to lock a Rx to specific model memories...'

I'm going to show my ignorance and ask wazzat then?

Also where do you find Safe Link on the updated Profi?

Also, how do you find out what the latest TX upgrade does? I can't find an explanation anywhere.

Told you I was ignorant. wink

Pete

Edited By Broken Prop on 28/03/2017 18:45:05

Thread: BMFA Buckminster Early Summer sport fly-in
18/03/2017 08:59:39

Ditto thumbs up

Thread: Thumbs, sticks and a strange habit??
18/03/2017 08:56:39

I have just gone over to a tray type transmitter from a 'thumbs on top' type. At first it felt very strange and I found that I overcorrected the stick movements until I stopped thinking about what the sticks were doing and concentrated on what the plane was doing!

I noticed that I instinctively rested my hands on the TX, using just the thumb, index finger and second finger to move the sticks. Supporting the hands also gave me reference points by which to gauge the amount of stick movement and also to steady my fingers. With the hands unsupported stick movements tended to be a bit random!

The downside of the tray type TX is that I find it difficult to adjust the trims as I do not have spare digits in the right place. I will get used to it in the end but you know what they say about teaching old dogs......

Thread: Kavan or other good qualty ball joints and clevises
06/03/2017 07:46:11

Graupner still make quality M2 quick links and (I think) ball joints.

Thread: Am I drinking too much?
03/03/2017 19:51:31

So glad that you are making good progress Ted. I am very pleased for you and wish you every success. The first couple of weeks are the worst and It gets easier the longer you are off the sauce.

Beware of substitutes though. Mine was crisps and I ate the South East out of them. Now I have to lose weight (sigh).

Please let us know how you get on, but it sounds like you are over the hill now.

With best wishes for the future.

Pete.

Thread: PowerBox Talk
27/02/2017 18:31:20

Not quite. I use a Digiswitch with a two cell LiFe battery to power 4.8 volt servos. Works a treat.

Pete

Thread: You May Call It Bodging, I Call It Engineering A Solution!
24/02/2017 13:11:13

Ah David, I am proud of you! You are a true aero modeller. thumbs up

Pete

Thread: I knew I shouldn't be modelling when...
20/02/2017 22:34:53

I am relieved to know that it is not just me.

Building my Peter Miller Sky Rover this afternoon I fabricated brackets for the undercarriage, checked that they were on the right way round, then checked again prior to soldering.

Moving on to the next stage I wondered why the axles were pointing the wrong way. Yup! I'd manged to solder the wretched brackets on the wrong way round. Guess what tomorrow's job is.....

incidentlaly, it is a nice build Peter. I am really enjoying it and the rugged construction will compliment my (ahem) landing technique.

Pete

Thread: Am I drinking too much?
20/02/2017 22:19:55

Hi Ted

So pleased that you are making progress. Keep at it and the rewards will be yours (as you are already finding). The longer you stick at it, the easier it gets, believe me!

I am with you all the way

Pete

Thread: Lancaster low Pass
16/02/2017 09:16:03

Wow!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
SHREK
CML
Overlander
Skip Model April
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
Q: How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?

5 to 10
 10+
 15+
 20+

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us