By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for IanN

Here is a list of all the postings IanN has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What's the most useful item in your workshop?
12/07/2007 16:42:00
From various mag articles you could be forgiven for thinking that bench saws, lathes, sanders, super duper turbo charged dremels et al are all the next "must have" item.

But when it comes to the crunch, what do you use that you really couldn't be without?

I've got two essential bits of kit. First is a convector heater plugged into a frost stat. Keeps the edge off the temperatuture nicely. Second is a cheapo dehumidifier. Quite amazing how much moisture this takes out of the air, year round. Makes you wonder how much of that would otherwise find its way into your airframes and radio...
Thread: Where do you you build
12/07/2007 16:23:00
Impossible for me to build in the house - no spare rooms, two active kids.

When I returned to the hobby I built myself a small workshop. Best thing I ever did. Block construction, with door and double glazed windows (unbelievably, complete with all keys) liberated from the local tip.

Not only great for modelling, but also a useful doghouse to retreat to when you're out of favour ;-)

Thread: DB Design "Thug"
12/07/2007 08:41:00
From memory I think the main gear was simply saddle clamped to a ply plate let into the bottom of the fus slightly behind the cg.

I also seem to remember that the cg wasn't shown on the plan, so there was a bit of trial and error setting this up on the bench before I finally glued and screwed it
11/07/2007 20:12:00
Good luck with that.

Mine wasn't built light - nylon covered/paint finish, std size radio, trike u/c. In that state it was a bit marginal for comfort on the 19 I originally used but an mds 28 gave it vertical performance.
Any ordinary .25 should be more than ample.
07/07/2007 23:45:00
I built a model called "The Thug", though not a DB design. Not a great aeronautical triumph - the designer stated upfront that it was cobbled together from leftover bits of other airframes - but it was cheap and tough and got me past my original trainer.
Free plan in Dec 99 RCMW. Go to the Traplet website, look at the photo there and check whether that's the model you've got
Thread: Maplins Digital Multimeter
23/06/2007 20:40:00
Agree that a visual check is the best option, though that's rarely possible without stripping the insulation. I'm no electronics expert but with the meter at least you have a fighting chance of spotting poor conductivity in time to take remedial action.
Re BWC there's an interesting article in July AMI (the issue with the Bearcat on the cover). Seems like its not only the neg lead that's at risk...
22/06/2007 21:11:00
Not exactly a high precsion instrument, nor the most fully featured multimeter. However, perfectly adequate for carrying out basic checks (including for the dreaded black wire corrosion).
Not only just 5.99, but in my local Maplins currently buy one, get one free.
Get one for yourself, and leave the other in the hut at the field for all to use!
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues