By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Erfolg

Here is a list of all the postings Erfolg has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Proposed new drone legislation/registration
09/02/2018 18:29:25

I thought the current position with safety cases with respect to the BMFA, do not produce one unless required to. I think this is on the basis that clubs operate in accordance with legal requirements and the CAA regulations. Also a poorly developed Safety Case could in itself be the basis of causing issues. Then there is the position of those who use a site infrequently, ie slope soaring, would a case be required for every specific site?

If safety cases become the norm, I expect that the BMFA will develop a Generic Safty Case. Perhaps tweaked to suit specific locations if necessary.

I do hope you are correct, in your view. Although I cannot expect that the CAA would want to address +300 applications from just the NW area.

TBH, at present I am relaxed, in that we still have not seen the specific draft document, I hope that it does contain wriggle room and the CAA are willing to let sleeping dogs lie, unless compelled to do something that we find uncomfortable.

09/02/2018 16:35:48

I would not bet on obtaining "grandfather rights".

I expect that all will see value in a uniform implementation of the 120m height restriction. Only very rarely granting an exemption for a limited period.

Thread: Solarfilm
09/02/2018 16:30:53

I would expect that those with a LMS will find that the vacuum apparently created by the demise of Solafilm will fill very quickly, as suppliers fall over themselves to fill that void.

The down side is that the film will probably come from outside of the UK, propbably from outside of the EU.

Probably there is just not enough of a UK market here to support a UK based business. That is particularly when most if not all ARTF models come from the Far East, where local firms can supply faster. apparently at lower cost.

What really has surprised me is that ARTF models often come with complex patterns, which appear in many cases to be part of the process of the film production process, even further adding value potentially to a ARTF model producer.

Thread: Lidl Sander
09/02/2018 13:07:59

the clamp will fit In the region of 60mm, between the underside of the sander and the clamping swivelly thing on the screw.

Having run the sander and sanded a peirce of balsa, it looks like overkill, other than it stops the sander being moved.

09/02/2018 11:46:28

Gordon, it is this type of issue that still concerns me. At first sight 400 foot appears to be workable, if a little restrictive. The devil that could be in the detail, is if we are all required to have some form of warning, and or cut off, maybe a dethermaliser for FF and so on.

As one who also flew for years in the Manchester ATC area, with thermal gliders, I and we would often be a dot in the sky. Never once causing any danger to full size aircraft. Now that apps are available on Android phones that provide the height etc of commercial aircraft overflying the patch, they all seem to be at + a couple of thousand feet although just having left Ringway which is probably 7 or so miles away as the crow flies.

Yet I do not think we will get the height limit increased, however hard we push, as it appears to be universal throughout Europe as a value.

09/02/2018 11:35:16

The nut on my sander had more than come loose. Taking the sander apart. There was no sign of a nut, as if it was never there.

That note of just 4 self tappers provide, the confidence to take it apart. It is so easy, in that the internals are so very well arranged, in a motor, and one board.

I did contemplate taking it back, considering the time, etc. I decided I would first try a hex nut. I thought it was either a M5 or 6. It appeared to be neither. Whereas a 0BA brass thin nut seems perfect. The only issue is that it was slightly wider than the slot into which it is meant to be located. A few minutes with a file had a good transition/slight interference fit. Which is great, as it will not just drop out of the slot.

I tried the sander, and found that it is turbine smooth. Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09/02/2018 10:03:38

Steve, it all depends what you consider to be an end game.

So far very little in concept has apparently changed from the initial positions. IMO it is the detail and interpretation of that detail matters.

For me that is not the end game, the endgame is the implementation of agreed rules, relationships, all embodied in UK laws and regulations.

In essence it does not matter what I or you think, the story continues. I am just pleased that the BMFA is providing updates.

Thread: Solarfilm
08/02/2018 23:23:56

Probably my main concern is that our hobby is becoming so niche, that many of the products we have taken for granted could become unobtainable.

I know that many will lament the passing of the Solafilm business, as I will to a degree. I also accept that some of the products were far more affordable than other similar products. Yet they still seemed expensive to me.

Why do i think so? As a young man I worked for a period for Reid International the then owners of the Crown brand. The machines talked about as being unique, were in themselves common place for printing wall papers, the technology being very similar. I then went to work in the food industry for a company that made film and printing machines for plastic films. The sort of thing you see in your kitchen cupboards. The machines were just a derivation of the wall paper machines. The difference is that food companies expect and get the films that we have bought for fractions of pennies, where we have paid pounds.

The question possibly is why the discrepancy? Food films are bought by the mile, to date, they have become the best (improved shelf life) and cheapest way of packing food. I guess HK buys the stuff by the mile, sells relatively cheaper and still makes a good profit. That is possibly the issue for Solafilm, they lost the market to a lower cost producer, although on the face of it, they should have been competitive if the sales cost were reigned in, maintaining the production volumes.

Crown were based in Darwin, the machine makers in Altrincham. The food film producers and film machine coaters in Salford. Non far from Chorley or Blackpool.

I think people would be surprised at the variation of straight films, Overprinter films (similar to Solafilm), Heatshrink films, that have been produced for the food industry. I think all based on the knowledge gained from the wall paper industry, who obtained the patents as reparations after WW1.

As for Solatex, never seen a machine doing the same job.

Edited By Erfolg on 08/02/2018 23:27:39

Edited By Erfolg on 08/02/2018 23:28:51

08/02/2018 22:48:59

I am really pleased that I have returned to the thread. I bought a sander this morning, and yes, the nut has come loose, certainly no sign of it.

I will remove the four screws mentioned and find the pesky nut and hopefully be in a position to fix it in place permanently.

In the past, I decided to purchase a lipo electric drill/screwdriver from Lidl ithink, Parkside anyway. To-date it is the best buy of its type I have made. It outperforms a Black & Becker and Bosch that had failed me. A step change in performance, from the rest.

Keep the recommendations coming.

I bought the Bau Universal Thinners as well, another most useful buy.

08/02/2018 19:28:08

Matty, as is indicated in the text, a lot more water has to flow under the bridge before there is any clarity. As indicated how the UK is managed is both down to the fine print and how the text is interpreted.

Perhaps what I see as better news is that the BMFA is informing the members about the state of the game of play. No real new news is better than being in the dark. It also helps to manage our expectations to realistic levels.

I had thought for some time that thermal gliding was destined to experience issues. That any exemptions to the 400 foot issue would be few, and probably limited to specific situations, requiring a dispensation.

The best news is that it is the flyer that will be registered rather than the models. I am hoping that the cost can be contained within the BMFA membership fee, with little extra cost. The fly in the ointment could be for entrants into the hobby, how and when do they gain registration, particularly if the process generates a barrier, particularly if it is overly restrictive.

Thread: Re: Death of IC
06/02/2018 10:44:39

Trying to come to any conclusion with respect to a snap shot of the USA is almost certainly going to be misleading.

An example would be to conclude that large scale models are the norm in the USA based on RC Top Gun.

If we take the RCM&E we may conclude that big models are universally the dominant RC Model, complete with +£500 engines based on a few reviews.

Personally I see IC going the same way as horse in the community, hardly ever used for commercial activities, mainly seen at Blackpool pulling tourist, on the race course and ridden for fun.

In the case of IC, mainly at the big shows, in big models. As everyday club power plants, they will continue as long as there are limited noise restrictions and the current ownership has them already in their possession. There after the massed produced suppliers will have turned to making widgets. This will leave the relatively small quality producer, who is not trying to make a fortune, whose passion is in what they are doing.

For the rest, mainly electric. On the other hand a lot of my predictions are either completely wrong or in detail. At present I am convinced that a Manchester Club will win the Premier League.

Thread: Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?
04/02/2018 18:27:28

WHARHOOO, I finally made it out to the field today, that is Sunday.

Yesterday only had a 6 mph wind speed, guess what, that 20% probability became a 100% rain all morning, by late afternoon it has abated as the sun disappeared below the roof tops.

This morning was so different, it was so cold I ice skated along parts of my drive, even the pavements were icy in patches as I made my way for the paper. In the distance the Penines were as white as, hmm put in your own thoughts here.

I had dobts as I was thrown out of the door by my other half muttering, about I had not been out for over 2 months. The drive to the field has a certain feel to it now, which ever way i now go, United Utilities are building the future, with road works, massive +3 foot dia pipes, with accompanying traffic lights. I was surprised when I stopped behind a motor cycle at one such set, to see the rider pull his hand out of his glove, that was firmly attached to the throttle, what a great idea i thought. The anti-frackers are still camped out, or at least their tents are in-situ, hugging the edge of the road. My main concern was would the track down to the field be nice and icy, or thawed into a mud slide? A mud slide was the answer, now with moon craters along the whole length.

To day I had taken my Bills Model Slingsby T67 for a check out, with the possibility to have a test fly.

wp_20171210_10_59_21_pro.jpg

It had been carefully checked out at home, taxied around the garden, only for my test pilot to find the rudder reversed from what is required. It seem I repeatedly find a way to mess up the setting up process, as I managed to change something, yet again, if I only knew what i am doing.

The pilot asked some pretty obvious questions, such as how heavy is it, how many watts is it pulling, is the CG in the correct place. Three months ago i knew all of the answers to these questions, now I only remembered, that the CG is as plan, the model is quite light and it is pulling the same watts as the Sterling PT19 (same set up, although checked).

wp_20170228_09_51_04_pro.jpg

The field has been mowed, although I was sinking up to my knees into the sward, mud pouring into the inside, my feet as blocks of ice. The model was placed on something approaching the ground, rather than a bog. The throttle opened, the model crawled along the grass, slowly accelerating to the velocity of a racing slug. Then the pilot abandoned the take off, picking up the model, one wheel had fallen of, the other ceased on the axle. No sign of wheel collets. Hmm, cocked up again, how is yet another mystery, as I know they were on, I also know that the wheels once did rotate. I just wonder if it is my ex engineers pursuit of a precision fit, lies bend this particular cock up, it makes feel better to think so.

So it was back to my Delta, the model did survive my attempts to re-kit it. My inverted flight had the model diving towards the ground whilst turning. A cross wind turn had the model a long way behind the flight line. My half Cubans/reversals had more in common with a dying swan.

I scrambled my way back up the mud slide, drove home via the coast road, only to find that the summer congestion has started with one half descent day.

The good news is I have fixed the UC, just the incompetence to sort out now and the jobs a gooden.

Edited By Erfolg on 04/02/2018 18:28:37

03/02/2018 23:56:28

CL is definitely a niche activity, even when I lived near Barton, it is a very small number of modellers, as a fraction of our general hobby, never mind the UK population.

There will be incremental improvements in Lipos, although, in essence the electro chemistry what it is. It will take another type of battery to make another step change. Apparently Lipos as a concept has been around for a long time. What prevented exploitation was the technology to get over the production issues. I am sure that some of the better informed Electrical Engineers on the forum may have an idea as to which battery formats theoretically have even greater potential. I do not. As an aside, there is money to be made apparently with respect to the elements that can be used in Lipo batteries, that is beyond lithium.

Thread: does balsa harden with age?
03/02/2018 18:36:04

I also was thinking about the difference in hardness of oak when new , compared to when it is old. I do realise that oak when used in construction is often green, not seasoned, as such. Naturally its properties change with drying out. Then I think of oak as seasoned for use by cabinet makers, typically the mouse man, pretty hard by then.

I am tending towards the properties will change slightly, although not massively, if the Balsa was properly kiln dried.

03/02/2018 17:52:13

A lot depends on what is meant by death.

I would consider Diesels as dead, at best Zombies. Hardly ever seen, they are about, certainly not in healthy numbers. They are now a niche, where a few companies make a few, a few fly with them.

If the rest of the ICs are approached in a similar way, it becomes apparent that Glo has seen a significant decline in usage. Not as endangered as Diesels, although I suspect that the number of engines is very much reduced, certainly from the heyday.

I suspect that 4 strokes, have tended to be niche in recent years. It is as much the engineering, the reduction in noise compared to Glo or Diesel that justifies there continued support. These are engines for those who are likely to admire a Lamborghini or Bentley not just for the look, but also the quality of manufacture.

I have problems with the big +50cc, not only are they noisy, in general, they need a lot more responsible usage, than the average model. They will make a bigger hole, whenever they arrive, a simple error in handling will more often than not have a probable high potential for life changing consequences, and so on. Although who could say they are anything but impressive, particularly to an appreciative audience. I suspect they will always be a niche, that has grown in recent years. Particularly as my life savings would be absorbed by acquiring just one.

In the case of electric, they have essentially come from nowhere and seem to be destined to inherit all sections of aeromodelling and full size, so it appears.

03/02/2018 14:05:20

Without some indicative numbers as to the general sales of IC engines, in the UK and world wide, we cannot have any idea as to the general direction of travel.

Where and the how the engines will be manufactured is yet another issue. Going way back, the methods used to manufacture engines, favoured Die Casting, if only you could get the numbers to make the investment in tooling viable. Turning operations were generally slow, requiring a skilled man, using the equipment that most UK engine manufacturers used. Most of these companies initially were set up after WW2 by people who directly or indirectly had there most obvious employment options disrupted by peace time. The numbers of pieces required generally did not even warrant manufacture by either Capstan Lathes or Autos, plus many of the companies wanted to do as much in house as possible, as many were set up by tradesmen.

I was thinking, that if the numbers are high enough, Bar Stock production could possibly be cheaper and faster than Die Casting or Investment Casting. That is using NC machines today. Where the problem of getting rid of the swarf is more of an issue than the accuracy, all done at great speed. With enough turnover it could be very attractive to contract out manufacture. The business essentially being a management, assembly (perhaps) and marketing organisation. The "fly in the ointment" is establishing sufficient reputation to warrant the initial contract spend. I am guessing, very much guessing, that this form of production is best suited to the Koreas of this world, technologically savvy, and pretty entrepreneurial and the cost per item are low..

Yet from the perspective of the +50cc engines, I guess these will still tend to be rough and ready (comparatively) die cast bodies, chain saw and other similar application engines, modified to enable model usage. So many of this type of engine is sold, built into gardening and building applications, where the sales price of the complete item is very low, I do wonder where the model application price comes from. I am guessing the margins make the mods worthwhile, for some to have a punt.

Although I do not have any intention of resurrecting my IC engines, I have enquired and heard others discuss the purchase of aftermarket silencers, for Glo engines where the owner knows in their own heart, that their engine is to noisy for todays usage. Surprisingly a after market silencer seems to be as costly as buying a new engine in many instances. If this aspect is as true as I think it probably is, it could also provide a reason why fewer people are tempted to fly IC (Glo), even when they have an engine.

Yet it all comes down to numbers sold, to make the financial numbers make sense.

Edited By Erfolg on 03/02/2018 14:08:30

Edited By Erfolg on 03/02/2018 14:10:04

03/02/2018 10:40:05

I particularly approve of the incremental development of the Lazer engine as described. Far to often the UK has been hooked on the notion of break through technology, then placing all the eggs in the one basket. When the product is good, improvements lead to an superior or exceptional product.

There is nothing wrong with break through technology, although it often requires a lot of development and financial expense before commercially acceptable reliability is achieved. Far more than even most realists anticipate.

I personally have retired now for 15 years. I remember seeing and observing the AEI NC control system on a horizontal borer when approx 17 years old. By the age of 21 George Richards makers of Machine Tools were also engaged in the production of NC machines.

By my thirties I started visiting contractors to the business I was then working for, and was very surprised that NC machines of all types from MC (Machining Centres) through to Lathes were conspicuous by there absence. That many were not even using coated carbide cutting tools, as what they had were not capable of using the speeds and feeds possible.

So for me it is heartening to read that a British Manufacturer is extensively using NC techniques to produce a superior quality product.

Now let me tell you about armature winding of electric motors, and of course stepping motors and the future being electric as seen by AEI in the 60s, the world that we are now entering. It goes like this.........................................................................................................................................................

02/02/2018 18:51:21

Without immediately trying to draw any conclusions as if and when IC will become a minority preferred power source, some understanding of the current manufacturing scene would be helpful.

For instance diesels appear now to be a niche area in the UK. I can only think of PAW manufacturing any serious amounts of the devices.

With respect to Glow engines, many of the quality European manufacturers seem to have departed the scene. I am thinking of Super Tigre, HP, Irvine. Even some of the once famous Japanese manufacturers have either gone, or out put seems limited, Fugi, Enya. What has happened is that many of the up and coming economies have dabbled, such Thunder Tiger and a few more. They seem to abandon model engines as if they were a means to a more profitable ends.

Four strokes do intrigue, as so many seem to come and go, I am thinking Webra, plus a few more that for the moment allude me. I am not at all sure that there is one at my present club. For me the irony is, most of the manufacturers were and probably are producing a pretty classy engineering and aesthetically pleasing product. Are these IC engines made in pretty small numbers , because of their precision and perhaps the reflective cost.

When I started the use of large engines, typically a 50ccc Chain Engine were not common. there was nothing exotic available then. Now at my present club, there are numerous, although I do not think they are powertool engines any more. But my God are they noisy. You cannot think because of the racket in the pits. In the air, they seem more bearable. This is an area where the numbers must still be pretty small? I suspect that these are the engines that my daughter thinks are unacceptable, due to the immense damage that careless handling etc can cause.

It would be interesting to have a numerical and a financial feel as to the size of each section of the market, and who makes what.

Edited By Erfolg on 02/02/2018 18:52:50

01/02/2018 20:53:30

Whenever anybody tells me that the model IC engine sounds realistic, I know what they mean, just like a MZ at full bore, pity that is a million miles away from any of the IC aircraft engines.

The real benefit of IC and it still there it is the energy/fuel density of all of the liquid fuels.

But when we think, will the average person living near by or even passing a model field care if a model is IC or electric, many do, just because of the noise. Yes I know you can, if you really try make an electric model noisy, yet somehow, just it manages to be less intrusive than many IC engines, deemed to be quite.

The real benefits are with her at home.

There is another benefit, when compared to IC engines, people do not need to stand in front to start one, nor as with many of the older engines, put there fingers or arms near the spinning arc of the prop, for a variety of reasons. With electric most if not all set ups will have the modeller to the rear of the model, with no sensible reason to go near the prop. I know, I know, some one will know some numpty who cut their head and twp hands of with an electric. Many years ago when my daughter was in training in Edinburgh, she dealt with someone who stuck it would appear both hands in the prop of a large model. Apparently, the reason was it did not stop after doing whatever it did to one hand and kept on going for the second.It obviously did not obey the IC code, of I will stop when making contact with flesh. Apparently they were a real mess, which has lead to me having to adhere to low power set ups, to keep her happy.

There is a danger with electric, that contrary to opinion, many do stop, often quite easily, when stalled, then the risk is a fire. Like with IC it can be serious, in that the wallet is hurt, or very serious in that property or physical well being is put at risk.

Me I just admire my electric motor collection, brush the dust of the commutator, polish the case with some motors.

01/02/2018 15:42:02

I thought a picky of our coffee table would be nice.

wp_20180201_15_31_49_pro.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues