By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Miller

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Miller has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is traditional building a disappearing art?
19/04/2018 18:11:28
Posted by Chris Reid on 19/04/2018 15:16:31:

I'm guessing that the basic creative urge will ensure that scratch building or kit assembly will always have a place, albeit a small one, for some model fliers. That said, we older modellers started out with kits and plans because there was no other option. If I was starting out today, maybe the lure of instant flying gratification with a pretty foamie would be irresistible. In the old days building took a long time and free flights were very short. The in-control feedback from flying wasn't there in anything like the way it is now.

As it is, I am a confirmed designer and builder, and have been since boyhood. It was my first job with International Model Aircraft Ltd (Frog) in 1959, and I'm still at it. See my build blog DH84 Dragon, on the forum.

CR

Chris.

Oh I remember those KK 3/6 kits. I could only persuade them to fly round the pole.

I must confess that having reached four score years I find that lugging a heavy flight box up a long slope to the flying field is getting a bit too much and smaller lighter models are very attractive.

On the thread, People will always want to create things and quite a few will want to build AND fly models

19/04/2018 15:01:04

Needless to say I just have to build. Recently I have just built a couple of vintages models from my past. Sheet relaxation and bringing back old memories.

Just finished my Veron Deacon, very very simple free flight but it was the building which is what mattered,

The radio is just so I don't have to walk to retrieve it.

Recently built a Little Ship and a Super 60. Now going to build n electric aerobatic model

deacon 1.jpg

Thread: GTC by Levanter
19/04/2018 08:05:02

I like to see people experimenting and adding their own modifications to a structure.

Thread: Quarter Sawn Balsa
18/04/2018 14:01:31

Just use a harder grade of balsa.

1/4 sawn has a sort of speckled appearance

I just use medium hard sheet. As you say the cap strips etc help, It was also more inportant in the days when dope and tissue or nylon coverings were used. I have seen control line stunter (Mercury Cobra) with "S" shaped ribs due to an over enthusiastic application of dope.

Thread: Bootlace
18/04/2018 08:13:36

Hi Derek

Basically I use a standard CG point of 25% of the root chord. So just measure the wing at the root and the CG is 1/4 of that distance back from the leading edge.

Sorry if I have made that sound too basic but I have found that the occasional person doesn't quite get that.

Thread: Timís Grumpy Tigercub
15/04/2018 19:05:34

Oh yes. There it was in a tight left hand turn and stick waggling did nothing, We never found the battery.

I had tried a rough field take off with those huge foam wheels which was rather bouncy but didn't get off this time,

15/04/2018 18:04:31

And if it helps, my Sper 60 was totaled when the battery came loose on its second outing.

To quote the old expression, The more spectacular the finish, the more spectacular the finish.

dscf3938.jpg

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
15/04/2018 08:31:02

A bit of real nostalgia. My first Veron Deacon was build and flown in Aden in 1961. Last seen going up in a massive thermal

Just finished my new, electric R/C version in time for the first perfect day of the years. I spent ages just floating around in lift and even the first landing was perfection with never a bounce.

deacon 2.jpg

deacon 1.jpg

Photos by fellow club member Michael Morris

Edited By Peter Miller on 15/04/2018 08:31:47

Thread: Spring 2018 is here...been flying?
15/04/2018 08:16:09

A perfect afternoon. Warm, sunny and almost flat calm.

A good turn out too with a couple of maiden flights. Best day for six months.

deacon 1.jpg

Edited By Peter Miller on 15/04/2018 08:26:50

Thread: EBay Ads by Forum Members
14/04/2018 08:39:16

Selling Surplus 4 strokes, plus an AP .06

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AP-06-R-C-engine-boxed-with-spare-glow-insert/173267302479?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Os-48-f-s-surpass-engine-in-excellent-running-condition/173267273300?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OS-40-FS-Surpass-4-stroke-Glow-Engine-in-excellent-condition-boxed/173267258318?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Edited By Peter Miller on 14/04/2018 08:42:38

Thread: Ebay sellers...
13/04/2018 19:45:29

I am surprised that they have\ not been testedlaugh

Thread: "Summat from nowt"
13/04/2018 08:40:39

A froiend was given a Flair Piper Cub that had been build by a novice but never flown (Luckily)

I got the job id refurbishing it.

When I removed the Solarfilm covering I found that the model had been covered with Solarfilm complete with backing film. Not even Andrew Hardman could work out how it has stayed on at all

IT did fly briefly but at least my friend got a very good OS 40 out of the deal

Thread: GTC by Levanter
12/04/2018 08:40:39

Don't you just love that moment when you take the rough, uneven planking and a few minutes work turns it into a smooth, curved surface.

Thread: Spring 2018 is here...been flying?
09/04/2018 08:29:16

Four of us had a good afternoon on Saturday even if the wind picked up as the afternoon wore on.

Sunday was wet most of the day

Thread: Instruction Manuals How Useful?
07/04/2018 18:19:53

The Futaba Field Force 8 Manual wasn't too bad but then Don Edberg showed us how it should be done. I told Hitec to get him to write one for the Aurora 9 as that manual is terrible.

Thread: Your Transmitter History
07/04/2018 18:10:38

I forgot a World Engines 4 channel set with switchable crystals and a world Engines cuddle box Tx..I liked that one

07/04/2018 11:34:17

Not all in the right order

ECC Telecomander

ED Boomerang

Never got those two in the air.

RCS Guidance System (Great)

MacGregor two channel,

MacGregor 4 channel

Sanwa Excellence

Acoms 4 channel, several.

JR not sure of the model number but it was the very first 35 Mhz set.

Reftec UHF

Fleet in several versions including the last programmable one so called computer radio

Futaba FF6

Futaba FF8 (Love it still)

SPektrum DX7 (The very early one) Got a spare Tx just in case.

Hitec Aurora 9

Thread: DC3
07/04/2018 08:48:44

Oh and another one.

When I was on Master Diversion Flight (Station Flight) at St Mawgan in the late 50s there was an ailine called Skyways that used to fly down with holiday makers fromBlackpool to Newquay at week ends.

The duty crew used to see the aircraft in ad do starte\r cfrew when they left. (Most civilian pilots gave the ground crew a tip, not this lot)

On two occasions that I was doing starter crew the passengers got in, The aircrew got ready to start and one of us said " aren't you going to take the aileron control locks out?"

The co-pilot then had to come down the fuselage, open the door, put the steps down (A ladder) get the control locks and climb all the way back up to the cockpit and in a Dak that is a steep climb.

07/04/2018 08:42:40

Another little anecdote

The RAF bought the Vickers Valetta as their DC -3 replacement

IN Aden we had a squadron of Valettas and the Maintenance Unit that I was on was given the job of scrapping one of these. I know, .I was on the team chopping it up with axes.

The Valetta was replaced by....you've guessed it, an Douglas DC-3

I did have\ a flight in a DC-3, 10 shillings round the Tower at Blackpool

Edited By Peter Miller on 07/04/2018 08:50:57

07/04/2018 08:36:06

How many of you have heard of the Douglas DC 2 1/2?

It was in CHina in WWII and people were being evacuated because of the advance of the Japanese. All the aircraft had been loaded and gone but there were still some people needing to escape.

In the hangar was a DC3 with a badly damaged wing. There was also a spare wing off a DC2 which had about 10 feet less wingspan.

They fitted the DC-2 wing to the DC-3 and it flew out to safety with one wing 5 feet shorter than the other

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues