By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Miller

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Miller has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Small PAW advice
27/03/2017 19:33:33

Actually Irvine did a .40 diesel too. I had both for reviewing in my Engine Bay days.

I remember lending the .40 to a friend. His throttle came adrift at abouthalf throttle early in tye flight one evening.

He nearly had to land in the darklaugh

27/03/2017 14:12:23

I have just been having a talk to my engine guru Tom Crompton.

He tells me that synthetic is fine for small engines and as he builds really tiny diesels I guess that has b=to be OK.

27/03/2017 12:23:28

Is it really essentila to use castor oil. I don't remember that from my youth. (in the days when you walked into the chemist witha bottle ans asked for half a pint of ether) Try that today and see what happens!!!

Thread: Chris's Bella Ballerina HD
27/03/2017 12:18:47

The point is this Chris.

You are coming at it from a different angle and applying thechniques that you leart i other fields.

We can all learn from new ideas so it is a two way exchange.

Keep up the good work.

Thread: Small PAW advice
27/03/2017 11:16:59

A friend in Australia has asked me for some advice.on using a PAW 80 for some low key flying. He is considering either an MP jet or a PAW 80.

As it is some 25 years since I used a PAW 80 I tought I would pick the brains of those with more current experience

Thread: CAP 20L build
24/03/2017 18:07:09

It was a tradgedy when they went out of production. I always swore by them. Still have a couple left.

And NO, sorry, I amnot parting with them

23/03/2017 13:45:49

Ah! Sorry I got mixed up.

Thread: New project, Avro Shackleton 72" span
23/03/2017 08:29:09
Posted by Andrew Price 2 on 22/03/2017 22:08:48:

My ACT Squadron, Peter.

Good luck on this build Tony. I shall, as usual, follow it with interest.

I was on 220 in the middle 50s. We had Mr1s, Mr2s AND MR3s.

Thread: Horizon Hobbies
23/03/2017 08:26:25
Just got this from Horizon Hobbies

Unfortunately we are closing our UK Service Department on 31st March 2017. Please see information below:

Any items received from Monday 13th March onwards will be refused at our doors and turned away.

Any Faulty items after this date will need to be returned to:

Horizon Hobby GmbH
Hanskampring 9
D-22885 Barsbüttel

Phone +49-40-30061950

Email: service@horizonhobby.de

Please ensure you mark clearly across the package “FAO Horizon Service Dept. Dealer UK” to ensure your product gets to the right department without any undue delays.

If you have technical queries you can email our Product Support Team roductsupport@horizonhobby.com">productsupport@horizonhobby.com.

Thread: New project, Avro Shackleton 72" span
22/03/2017 21:05:53

Go on! 220 Squadron!!

22/03/2017 20:48:41

Very nice. I like simple but won't the logo be covered in the middle when the wing is bolted to the fuselage?

Er, Don't forget. Rude words are not allowed on the forum!

Thread: Navy carrier landing
22/03/2017 13:49:39

I bet that there was a lot of "half crown sixpence syndrome" there

Thread: What's flying over your house
22/03/2017 08:53:50

Lucky it did not go through the fuselage side!!

Thread: Recipes you love to cook
21/03/2017 13:59:04
Posted by Donald Fry on 21/03/2017 13:38:09:

Peter Millers recipe, if you take out the bacon, and add anchovy, capers, and olives gives a dish named, in translation from Italian, as "lady of the night". Who would not want to eat a dish so named.

Hey, I like that, I will give it a try! Just added them to my shopping list for tomorrow

21/03/2017 12:20:53

I enjoy cooking too, even some quite complicated recipes at times. though most of mine are done in the 3/4 ro 1/2 hour time scale.

I have one very easy and tasty one. which has the advantage that you can add and remove anything that you want to suit your own taste.

Cook Spaghetti or rice if you prefer.

Fry sliced onion and mushrooms in (olive) oil.Add Oregano and basil (dried is fine) add chopped tomato and chopped up bacon. You can substitute Spam for bacon, then you can add baby courgettes if you like add garlic as well.

The frying up takes about as long as the spaghetti so the whole thing can be done in less that half an hour and as I said add anything you like to taste

Thread: redundant 35mhz ?
21/03/2017 12:08:23

My Field Force 8 and many receivers are still used and not long agao I added to my 35 Mhz receiver stock. You have to search for crystals if you are on a allocated frequency in a club.

Thread: I love the experimental, especially when they work
21/03/2017 08:48:45

I found this by accident.

**LINK**

But once you have wondered at this look at some of his other creations

Thread: Cooling fins
20/03/2017 12:01:42

Boundary layer is the layer of air in contact with a surface moving through the air. You can see the same effect when the breeze is blowing but the air close to the ground is not moving as fast.

THis will also explain why a model that is being landed too near the stal will suddeny drop the last few inches.

I must confess that I personally doubt if there would be much boundary layer in an engine in the full blast is a popeller but forcing the airflow through the fins is important. Go and look at any aircooled aero engine, especially radials and see how closely some are baffled.

Not so much the big American radials sitting out in the open but look at a Bristol Hercules in a cowl.

Just a thought. I am sure that you clean your models down but if, like me you leave a film of dust on the wings and go and fly it that dust does NOT get blown off in flight because it is in the boundary layer

20/03/2017 08:51:57

This is why it is a good idea to baffle the cylinder to force the air flow through the fins. Look at speed model cowlings where the cowl is almost in contact with the fins.

Thread: RC equipment reliability
20/03/2017 08:44:03

I started off in 54 and had an ECC Telecomander, then in about 58 an ED Boomerang out fit. Never got either of them to work but that was probably me and my total inexperience.

In 63 I had RCS Guidance System which worked a treat. and then about 1974I got MacGregor radio. First a two channel and then a four channel. Since then I have had Fleet (Several) Sanwa, JR, Reftec Acoms, Futaba, Spektrumand Hitec.

Plenty of scope to find faults. One set had to go back under guarantee. for an unusual fault. My Guidance system button broke and vanished inside the case. My Field Force 8 went back for checking. No fault found and it never gave any more trouble.

In our club I have seen an Rx that caused two crashes. (Well, they do get mistreated.) and a DX8 that caused some mysterious crashes but there was an issue with them at one time.

I have to say that from my experience listed above Radios are amazingly reliable.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
CML
SHREK
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What's the main radio brand you use? (2017)
Q: What's the main radio brand you use?

FrSky
 Turnigy
 Multiplex
 Hitec
 Futaba
 JR
 Spektrum
 Graupner
 Jeti
 Other

Latest Reviews