By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Miller

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Miller has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Paul's CAP 20 L build 2018 MB
21/01/2018 18:37:46

Geoff,The stuff from model suppliers is a bit thinner than cycles and motorcycle stuff.

Paul

By the time you cover them it will move the cg back a fraction, not enough to worry about though

21/01/2018 15:37:04

Yes. I have one of those wire benders. As you say, the best tool I ever bought and mine was bought back in the early 80s

Yes they a re still available if you Google "Wire benders"

21/01/2018 12:44:11

You don't really need a lot of lead. I seemto remember that I cut aa semicircular groove with a Dremel heavy duty cut off disc and then inserted a 1" semicircle of 1/16" lead. in the groove.

I think the details were in the write up for my CAP 21.

See your local roofer for off cuts.

Edited By Peter Miller on 21/01/2018 12:45:12

21/01/2018 09:36:36

That is Bowden cable. You can buy it direct from Radio Active. The people who make tanks and engine mounts among other things. Also from Pegasus model in Norwich and I am sure other places too.

The Brass fitting is a metal pushrod connector fromSLEC (SL063-R) abut again similar items will be available from Pegasus etc.

21/01/2018 08:22:51

For your throttle connect, This may help

ballerina const 036.jpg

21/01/2018 08:21:14

Mass balance is used to prevent flutter. The idea is to move the CG of the control surface close to the hinge line.

I would check where the control surface balances.

One of my models (Dancing Girl) suffered from very serious flutter on the elevators due to a sloppy unsupported snake. Just for the experiment I fitted mass balances on arms extending forward of the hinge line. The model was then dived to terminal velocity from a great height while I waited for the tailplane to disintegrate. IT never even twitched. I did change the snake after that.

Not sure if the CAPs really need it but it seemed a good idea at the time.

In passing, we were doing a lot of modifications to Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneers in Aden. One mode was to add lead to the front of the elevators. That was a real pain. Glad I wasn't on that mod. The one I was doing was just as bad in its way.

20/01/2018 12:16:16

looking forward to seeing this one

Thread: Club subs payment methods
20/01/2018 11:01:34

The secretary gets our . BMFA fees as a cheque to himself and then sends a BMFA cheque to htem.

For Club Membership which is separate cheques or cash to the secretary.

True, we do not have a vast number of members.

Our secretary got fed up with chasing the few members who had a habit of not paying on time. . Simple answer. If you don't pay on time you are banned from flying

Thread: Heater for my shed
20/01/2018 10:55:58

A calor gas catalytic heater, runs on a 7.5 Kg cylinder but you can use a 15 Kg cylinder outside the heater.

The Catalytic heaters are not as powerful as the normal gas heaters but fin for a 6X8 workshop. They are also much safer as there is no naked flame. just a glowing matrix.

They take a little time to warm up, a few minutes longer than the normal gas heater.

Thread: Timís Grumpy Tigercub
18/01/2018 18:24:17

I am looking forward to the flying inforzmation

Thread: Aeronca Sedan
18/01/2018 18:20:20

Peter, a number of people have said at the club, it is a pity that your Cassut (that is your design electrified)is so small, at twice the size it would be great. Again because it flies and looks really well.

Well the Cassutt can be enlarged.

Another of my Cassutt types is called Miss Cassy which is published by ADH Publishing. Oy is powered by a .25 engine.

18/01/2018 12:12:44

Woke me at 3 am. by 5 am the slates were rattling but at least none came off..

I live on top of a hill facing West, nothing in front of me for about 12 miles.

This afternoon will be spent catching up on sleep.

18/01/2018 08:57:26

Hope you all survived last night's gale. That was rough here in SUffolk.

Thread: Simon's Grumpy Tigercub
17/01/2018 12:12:28

Sounding good

16/01/2018 13:17:46

Hi Lucas

Just blame it on the after effects of flu.

16/01/2018 11:42:57

You know I get quite a lot of questions often by email. I I got to thinking about some of these. They are so basic that it puzzled me.

When I started modelling we had Aeromodeller and Model Aircraft and a few very basic books. The KK handbook had about three pages of accessories and most of us (all in our club) were finding our way.

The result was that we HAD to work things out for ourselves. Sometimes it didn't work and we started again. But what we learned was how to think, how to work things out.

Our standard mental attitude became "What can I use for that?" and this was also transformed into "What can I use that for?"

When I get a problem of how to make something I just work on it. Quite often I get the perfect answer at about 4 in the morning.

I have begun to wonder what is going to happen when the people who still have this mental ability to work things out have all gone!

The thing that got me really going was a question about connecting a four stroke throttle. SO very easy when you look at it. I sent the questioner a photo. Then, sometime later I got a request how do you do it? I lost the pictures.

ballerina const 036.jpg

I just looked at the cable and the position of the throttle and it was OBVIOUS but it ws obviouly much easier to say "HOW DO I DO IT?" and wait for a reply

Thread: Magnets
16/01/2018 08:31:13

It is OK. He just has an Acer Chromebook with a crummy keyboard

Thread: A Peter Miller fan in USA
16/01/2018 08:21:17

Greg

THat article is the middle one of three. published years ago.

I can send you the text of the other two if you PM me your email address.

The best option for my designs is to buy my book from Sarik Hobbies or try Amazon UK.

It is called "Designing Model Aircraft"

16/01/2018 08:15:02

That looks really smart

Thread: A Peter Miller fan in USA
16/01/2018 08:12:48

Trevor

The fuselage mounted U/C is so much simpler really and looks just as good.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues