By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Harris

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Harris has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Confessions of a Bodger
20/01/2017 23:06:16

All this strapping velocipedes to the back of cars - wouldn't it just be easier to "get on yer bike"? wink

Getting back on topic, I think you're right though BEB and (proper) modellers tend to be inveterate tinkerers - it's a standing joke in my family that whenever we go on holiday I'll always find something to fix - and a multitool is ever-present in my pocket...except the authorities don't seem to like me having it on my person when I fly - something more to do with stopping me from doing some mods to the Airbus rather than attempting any terrorist act, I believe!

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/01/2017 23:08:02

Thread: BMFA Country Members
20/01/2017 14:18:20

That's quite true Keith, and I think John has summed it up rather well!

I have to say that the drawback of the proxy vote system in the context of a meeting where issues are debated is perfectly illustrated by your experience. While I applaud your integrity, how can a club mandate you to vote without listening to any new facts or arguments presented at the meeting - why have a meeting if this isn't the reason? I have certainly opposed the idea of proxy voting at our club AGMs for this very reason.

20/01/2017 11:07:24

There's a massive flaw in the representation system anyway which doesn't seem to have been mentioned much, if at all. While it is true that the ordinary club member carries a vote, these are block votes cast by a representative of the club in proportion to the number of affiliated members.

As an example, my only direct contact with the system was at the recent EGM. I felt interested enough to volunteer to attend the meeting on behalf of my club as I had serious misgivings about the planned enterprise. At least 90% of the members who expressed an opinion or replied to my general email agreed with my viewpoint but even so, I made it clear that I would be listening to the arguments and reserved the right to vote the other way should I have felt it correct. Therefore, in effect, the club vote was actually one person's opinion and that might well have differed if our usual representative had attended (one of the two members who supported the motion).

Is there any way to check how my club's vote was cast? I haven't seen a breakdown of the voting published anywhere - were the individual votes recorded in any official document (Keith, Andy, Peter - can you answer this?) so the membership of my club could be in blissful ignorance that they might have been misrepresented had I gone the other way.

In the case of a close divide of opinion within a 100 member club - say 51/49 in favour of a viewpoint, 100 votes would be cast for (in theory) for the motion (although as per above those 100 votes could go the other way) - is this in any way truly and reliably representative of the views of the membership?

Thread: Why does this happen?
20/01/2017 00:36:18

My experience with these engines has been that a poor fit between the bearing and housing has caused air leaks. This is particularly noticeable where the engine refuses to stop - often continuing to idle for a minute or more with the throttle barrel completely closed - even a finger on the opening failing to stop it. It's quite conceivable that the leaks could be large enough to cause starting problems. This has happened on engines supplied with rubber sealed bearings and the effective cure for mine has been to apply Loctite Bearing Fit before assembly.

Thread: Dihedral question
16/01/2017 19:11:54

I can't claim to be that someone but I would look at it as a tapered wing with a tiny amount of dihedral - so small that it would only have a marginal aerodynamic effect anyway - why the question?

Thread: Duplicate of SC (ASP) FS400AR 5 Cylinder Radial
15/01/2017 21:57:21

If it was Kevin b he's still very much around on the forum...perhaps try a PM if he doesn't see this?

Edited By Martin Harris on 15/01/2017 22:09:07

Thread: Spektrum Rx price hike???
15/01/2017 12:19:04

Hamish, did you bin it because it caused the crash or as a precaution after a heavy impact?

15/01/2017 12:14:14

To support Percy, my opinion is that higher receiver prices are a "necessary evil" when buying into top quality systems. The arguments for the pricing policies don't make technical sense but the makers have to recoup their development and production costs which are undoubtedly higher per unit than mass produced high volume cheaper offerings.

In the case of my radio (different to Percy's), I originally used a transmitter module system and receivers bought in 2009 are still fully compatible with my dedicated transmitter on its latest and much enhanced (including LBT compliant) software. Yes, they were more expensive than some alternatives but the maker has taken great pains to ensure backward compatibility of everything produced for the system meaning that they still continue to give value for money to this day.

I suppose that at the end of the day, the lager brewer's slogan of "reassuringly expensive" applies to our hobby and the truth of the matter lies somewhere between the two extremes.

15/01/2017 11:55:51

Perhaps the BMFA handbook needs updating as it infers that, in general, you get what you pay for when buying cheap receivers...whether or not you agree, it's a reference that might well be quoted in a CAA investigation or court of law!

Thread: Scale rescale
11/01/2017 19:57:16

My Puppeteer (60" biplane weighing 8 lbs according to Flair) flew perfectly well on an OS 40 FS with no meaningful compression - so your one should be a doddle (even unscaled) unless you're looking at Pitts performance!

Thread: Reed valve
11/01/2017 18:12:20

Thanks - let's hope it's at least as durable as the original!

Thread: Newbie to IC - running in different four-strokes?
11/01/2017 15:49:02

It should be done at TDC on the compression stroke - watch for the inlet valve opening on the preceding down stroke. You need to be aware of valve overlap on most engines at TDC on the exhaust stroke where the inlet valve opens before the exhaust stroke is completed to take advantage of inertia in the gas flow - and the exhaust valve may not be fully closed at this point.

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/01/2017 15:50:47

Thread: Multi rotor test guidance Video...BMFA
11/01/2017 15:36:47

I've fed back my initial thoughts above to the BMFA via their contact form on this link.  Anyone else seeing this as the start of a very useful initiative might like to consider doing the same?

It would seem to be an easy way to help roll out national standards - and supplement the scheme's area workshops programme.

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/01/2017 15:43:44

Thread: Rolling Circles
11/01/2017 15:27:24

When I work out which buttons on my transmitter turn off wind/turbulence and perform the reset function, I'll be able to fly as well at the field as I can in my living room!

Thread: LMA v BMFA insurance
11/01/2017 15:07:40

I agree John. My club IS a closed shop, in as much as the membership decided, many years ago, to affiliate to the SMAE/BMFA. This position could be reversed at any time should the membership desire. with no immediate effect on our flying activities so to say that the BMFA forces model flying into a closed shop activity is, in my opinion, totally incorrect. Whether our activities would survive long term if the majority of clubs were to go it alone is a different matter!

I believe that those members who have given the matter any thought have appreciated that as members of a national representative body, we benefit enough to justify the cost. Any thinking otherwise have, so far, kept their thoughts private in a club which encourages free interchange of opinion and makes efforts to attract "fresh blood" onto the committee.

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/01/2017 15:09:57

Thread: Multi rotor test guidance Video...BMFA
11/01/2017 13:44:56

I'm not sure why you want to delete this, John. It seems a good start and hopefully the first of many?

Maybe we'll be seeing some similar ones with example tests? Another recent thread featured a home produced video using a flight sim - of interest to me was a variance of opinion between the acceptable standard for one manoeuvre - something that could be clarified by examples of what is acceptable and what is not by the Achievement Scheme Review Committee posting "standards" videos.

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/01/2017 14:15:32

Thread: LMA v BMFA insurance
10/01/2017 22:02:54

You'd be free to get insurance from any company which would quote you for it but I'd suggest the best hope for continued model flying would be to support a national organisation which has a proven record of negotiating with government bodies - especially in view of the current threats to our freedom to fly.

Yes, there are questions over issues such as voting rights and governance structures but it's up to members to attempt to fine tune them. The major organisations in this country aren't really in competition with each other and all have their parts to play. I don't see it as "them and us" - more those interested and able enough to take an active role and the rest of us who are happy enough to let them.

Oh, and some who enjoy criticising without being prepared to do anything more positive!

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/01/2017 22:08:57

Thread: A Home Insurance Question
10/01/2017 00:09:39

I'm glad that's been made a little clearer - keep negotiating with that loss adjuster and good luck!

Thread: To much down thrust????????????
10/01/2017 00:04:03

I suspect that's because most models have their correct thrust lines decided at the design/development stage. I've probably maidened 50 models a year for the last dozen or more years and a handful have had serious thrust line issues. They can be uncomfortable to fly, so I'd advise getting any obvious issues sorted before attempting to fly the model.

Thread: checking dihedral Sig 1/4 scale Piper Cub
09/01/2017 22:35:02

Scale is about 3/4 of a degree...

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?
Q: Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?

Dad
 Mum
 Partner
 Son
 Daughter
 Grandson
 Granddaughter
 Friends
 Other
 No-one else

Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues