By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Laughton

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Laughton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: CloudModels
25/04/2017 17:58:11

My wife bought me the PB Calibre last year as a birthday present and had no problems whatsoever and on a post delivery enquiry they were very positive so a thumbs up from me!

Thread: Theft From Cars...
23/04/2017 22:06:54

Snap BEB!

Thread: Summer's almost here: Preparing your models....
20/04/2017 10:23:38

All airworthy although a couple need some minor attention (Sagging covering etc.) after winter flying. If I have a problem then I repair them pretty much straight away....and that goes for some of my clubmates' models as well since I have a decent rc workshop

Thread: Phoenix, models
18/04/2017 22:24:36

Thanks guys

18/04/2017 18:50:33

Neither TJD nor Pegasus are stocking Phoenix (just checked)....anyone know of an alternative source in the UK?

Thread: Instruction
18/04/2017 18:38:04

Colin Chapman is still going in Wellingborough - he advertises as Midlands Flight Training in RCM&E at the back of the magazine

Edited By Jon Laughton on 18/04/2017 18:39:07

Thread: Mitsubishi Zero
11/04/2017 23:21:04

Very classy!

Thread: Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread
31/03/2017 10:08:58

Here is my PB Calibre maidened last Monday - now I know what all the hullabaloo is all about; these classic aerobats fly beautifully! smiley I love it.

Built from the Cloud Models Kit she is powered by an OS75AX with fixed u/c and I cheated with the cowl by buying a glass fibre Acrowot cowl from Carbon Copy.

I am still struggling with a canopy as the moulded one supplied with the kit is way to narrow to fit nicely. At present I have blocked up a canopy in the workshop (blue foam + balsa) that is glass covered so this may be the solution and I also have some vortex van form canopies as a fall back. It's not a retro colour scheme but heck I like it! Martyn K has kindly advised on how to ensure the u/c stays rigid.....thanks Martyn.

Would have come to Skegness this Sunday but family commitments preclude that Hope to bring her to one of the other fly ins this year...calibre.jpg

Thread: Dumfries Model Flying
30/03/2017 17:20:11

Yes as a Sebart fan I have used them and found Bill to be very helpful! yes

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
28/03/2017 08:16:35

PB Calibre retro-aerobat - OS 75AX powered. Maidened yesterday...

The model had been in build fo over a year and uses an Acrowot cowl for now (perhaps that's sacrilege?) and I am in the process of making a canopy from blue foam and block balsa as the supplied item is far too narrow even though the model is built per the plan!

She is wonderful to fly - smooth, fast with unlimited verticals. Its a truly wonderful model to fly...I love it. Paul Bardoe himself advised on the C of G position as otherwise I would have had to put a load of lead not he tail and he was spot on at 5" from the L/E....

calibre.jpg

Thread: Sbus Receivers
21/03/2017 04:59:25

There are some reasonably good videos on YouTube explaining how to set up Sbus receivers and servos - a search should find them

Thread: BMFA NEWS
17/03/2017 14:27:22

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 16/03/2017 19:36:45:

If I see another photo of a free flight model on here in the next couple of months I shall bin my copy without even reading it. Enough is enough of the editor`s stuff. And another thing, boring pictures of people being given trophies for almost unheard of disciplines is just about the last straw.

I was one of those pictured receiving a trophy on behalf of my club (for educating /supporting a local ATC squadron) at the annual awards in the previous issue....I am so sorry to have been one of those who inadvertently irritate some of the forumites here...devil

Thread: Seb-Art Angel 30e - mods ?
16/03/2017 12:24:39

Colin's idea also works for the larger 50 range...I have mostly cut off the tabs and in some cases replaced the balsa fairings attached to the U/c with ones I have made & covered myself from Lite Ply & Balsa - this helps to strengthen the u/c without too much of a weight penalty but then most of my Sebart models are ic powered.

Edited By Jon Laughton on 16/03/2017 12:25:06

Thread: Futaba 8J 2.4 Transmitter and suspect DX6
16/03/2017 11:26:14

I don't want to turn this into a Spektrum Vs Futaba debate but personally I have seen a lot of brown outs and a few models lost at our club - all without exception on Spektrum. I have never seen nor heard of any equivalent problem on Futaba or any other radio gear...

We all pay our money and we make our choice - that's the common sense bit eh? cheeky

16/03/2017 11:16:59

Paul - it is my general rule. If the bolts are 3mm then maybe stick with metal ones...as you realise the reason is that on a heavy landing (we all have them from time to time!) the bolts will shear first before the airframe

Thread: Futaba 8J 2.4 Transmitter and suspect DX6
16/03/2017 11:04:17

Martyn's comment about receiver costs are very valid especially for FASST although FHSS is better priced.

I have used clone FASST receivers from FrSky without any problem on less expensive models / foamies etc and had no problems - would I trust a larger more expensive / complex model to a clone...perhaps!

wink

Jon

16/03/2017 09:59:03

Another vote for Futaba! thumbs up

16/03/2017 09:57:35

Paul

I own four Sebart models but all from the 50e range. The spats are usually very thin and may be susceptible to breaking on heavy landings or rough patches. As a suggestion for all models with undercarriages I recommend using nylon bolts to secure them to the fuselage .

I am sure you will find your model wonderful to fly and will really enjoy it!

Jon

Thread: 1/5th scale Supermarine S6b
09/03/2017 10:54:12

Chris - did you mean John not Jon?wink

Thread: What's the main radio brand you use 2017?
07/03/2017 09:57:06

Matty it is possible to convert files to the new format used on the 18SZ...see link below

**LINK**

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Skip Model April
Overlander
SHREK
CML
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
Q: How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?

5 to 10
 10+
 15+
 20+

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us