By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Laughton

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Laughton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hard to see?
19/08/2017 20:41:01

Latest creation - airframe (bought second hand structure only) in yellow oracover. Underside had dayglo orange bands on fuselage and dayglo curved wing tips.img_4680.jpg

Edited By Jon Laughton on 19/08/2017 21:12:16

16/08/2017 11:21:12

Yikes! I'll fetch my sunglasses!wink

16/08/2017 11:06:52

Without doubt the models in my fleet with yellow and dayglo orange stand out the best...

Thread: Summer is here!!....Who's been flying??
16/08/2017 09:31:01

The almost continual high wind gusts have meant that I have been grounded for three weeks...the only days that is has been flyable have coincided with other family commitments....

Never known such a prolonged period of gusty weather. Very frustrating

Thread: New Shed
16/08/2017 09:23:04

Yeah would be good to see it now!

Thread: Hard to see?
16/08/2017 09:20:57

Just add a really good contrasting colour to the underside that will show up well in poor light conditions - then you will know the model's orientation..? I use day glow orange Oracover in small quantities for that...

Thread: push rods threaded each end
16/08/2017 09:17:37

I have used / still use a die to cut my own 2mm & 3mm threads usually without a problem, I also use soldered threaded attachments (both sizes) without any problem but my personal preference now is to use carbon rod with threaded inserts either cut from studding or supplied as such especially for set ups where I choose to fit ball joints at each end.

Sometimes I do cover the carbon rod in heat shrink but mainly for colour co-ordiinaton.

Jon

Thread: Wot 4 Trad Build Instructions?
04/08/2017 13:32:18

Done! Thanks Lone Wolf smileyyes

04/08/2017 13:22:55

Hi All, I have picked up a traditionally built Wot 4 second hand (not the ARTF!). The airframe needs kitting out with servos, engine, fuel tank etc.

Does anyone have a link to the build instructions please?

Thanks

Jon

Thread: What's the main radio brand you use 2017?
02/08/2017 08:56:18

I continue to happily use Futaba without any problems and will for the foreseeable future

Interestingly I know of a very knowledgeable and supremely well qualified UAV expert in one of our top UK Universities (not LJMU) who has investigated different radios and refuses to use Spektrum - he recommends Taranis and Futaba.

(No names no pack drill wink)

Thread: Acro Wot Kit
20/07/2017 11:11:38

The carbon copy skid works fine on grass and is a good bit of kit. Personally I would always swap the clevises for metal ones but also making sure that they engage properly on the thread but it is a matter of personal choice.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
16/07/2017 17:07:54

Erf it is a 90 size model. The spats have an upper and lower part. The lower red part us screwed into the lower wing and the upper white part us screwed to that. This all done after the wire u/c is fixed into recesses in the underwing surface. The instructions are rubbish but with careful planning and sequencing it goes together ok. I had to import the model from the USA as I couldn't find a supplier/distributor here

15/07/2017 23:12:53

Phoenix Models Ryan STA OS GGT 15 engineimg_4521.jpg

Edited By Jon Laughton on 15/07/2017 23:13:38

Thread: Acro Wot Kit
03/07/2017 18:01:28

Hi Mike

I agree with Ken's suggestion of reinforcing the inside of the fuel tank bay and the firewall. Yes the model accepts standard servos but I think it would be way overpowered with a 65ax - in my model ten years ago I had a 55ax and that was more than enough. The bigger engine will make the model heavier and therefore it will have a faster landing speed/higher stall speed.

It's a great model and I am sure you will enjoy it!

Jon

Thread: Mystery Engine: gas 26cc
26/06/2017 18:53:50

Hmm the RCME engine guru reckons it is a SPE/MLD 26cc....very confusing!

25/06/2017 22:22:02

Just engines are a good call - should have thought of that. Someone else has suggested it is a Webra Bully?

25/06/2017 15:05:45

Unknown engine 1Can anyone help identifying this engine please - I bought it second hand fitted to a YT/Modeltech Dragon Lady? ThanksUnknown engine 2

Thread: yt dragon lady
25/06/2017 14:51:06

I've just bought this model second hand - it came without the spats (which I can sort from the spares box) but also short of the acetate windscreen...

If anyone has an unbuilt kit and could trace the outline of the windshield for me I would be very grateful

Thanks, Jon

Thread: Weston Park 2017
02/06/2017 14:46:22

I went on Friday last year and the trade presence was excellent and you may get access to the best deals on stuff being offered for sale...I really couldn't see any difference in the number or nature of stalls compared to previous years when I went on the Saturday..

Thread: BMFA Buckminster opens Monday 8th May.
11/05/2017 09:24:54

i was going to stay away from this thread but I will make this one contribution...I don't intend to justify my comments subsequently

I visited the Buckminster site a few weeks ago and had a tour with Manny - those who can may also want to do so. The project management of the site works has been excellent and Manny, Andy et al are to be congratulated.

I like the location and the flying aspect is fabulous.I am providing a small level of sponsorship as I want to see this become a success....I like the bold way in which this can help to take our sport/hobby forward and the facilities on offer are very good.

Our club is organising a flying day there in summer...at a very reasonable cost and there is enthusiasm to go. I have purchased a season ticket even though I live in the NW and it will take at least two hours to get there. I really hope this becomes a success and that the BMFA membership can get behind it.

Well done to Manny and the BMFA team

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
SHREK
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us