By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Laughton

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Laughton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Carbon pushrods - 60 sized model
20/10/2017 22:39:45

Nexus model supplies

Thread: Acro Wot ARTF (balsa) chat
20/10/2017 13:28:15

OS specify 12x7, 12x8, 13x6 or 13x7: all work very well

Thread: Huge Mosquito
17/10/2017 06:59:40

Cannot see a photo?

Thread: Paul Heckles - Excellent training session!
11/10/2017 19:57:22

Yes its a good flying field although when I was starting to learn I did put a model (a Flair Kite) in one of the trees! Shameful! 🙄

Edited By Jon Laughton on 11/10/2017 19:58:04

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
11/10/2017 19:46:57

Looks fantastic - well done

Thread: Paul Heckles - Excellent training session!
11/10/2017 18:16:21

Well done Jonathan - Ive met Paul and visited his field many times when it was owned by ATS: I learned to fly there and took my A certificate there as well. Im sure iti was money well spent!👍

Edited By Jon Laughton on 11/10/2017 18:17:28

Thread: New To Planes
11/10/2017 18:10:52

Tony find your local club and join up...it will probably be cheaper and enjoyable than trying to learn everything from scratch

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
04/10/2017 09:44:26

Sebart Wind S - IC (OS 55AX)

img_4403.jpg

04/10/2017 09:42:46

Sebart Katana 30E built for a friend & ready for maiden

fa14caba-c86a-4057-99f7-bf90842fd16f.jpeg

Thread: Replacement tail-wheel for Acrowot?
29/09/2017 14:19:10

Jon the solution you have decided on is perfect but on the question of skids Carboncopy do a carbon fibre skid for the Acrowot which in my experience works very well - I have just fitted one to an IC Wot 4. They are more expensive but when I was learning to fly my own built Acrowot ten years + ago I found it preferable to a tail wheel and its resistance helped me to maintain a straight take off run...

Jon

Thread: Model selection for "B" test
28/09/2017 18:04:45

Vic - whilst I prefer and fly mainly ic aerobatic models having a B certificate and having flown plenty of Wot 4 foamies I would say that it is a suitable model for the test and fully agree with Denis' comments about being familiar and comfortable with the model you choose to do the test with. Another idea would be to talk to your club examiner on what he recommends and thinks Is suitable as it will most likely be him and another examiner who take you for your test?

Good luck! Jon

Thread: BMFA NEWS
28/09/2017 09:03:42

Still waiting for mine so I cannot moan, whinge and complain ad nauseam about the contents nor the BMFA editorial team whilst I contemplate the universe, the RC Gods and my place in that pantheon...(not) devil

Edited By Jon Laughton on 28/09/2017 09:04:07

Thread: Are we being ripped off
27/09/2017 10:40:15

I cannot comment specifically on the pricing associated with spares that started this thread but it seems there are some misunderstandings generally as to why spare parts are relatively expensive so perhaps I can help: having worked at senior levels in industry (particularly aerospace) for nearly 40 years I can testify to the enormous sums of money that are required as the initial investment (at risk) to design, tool up, develop & launch new products, In the automotive and aerospace sectors these sums run into billions for one new programme. There is a significant cost to this investment. The size of this investment dictates that life cycles of commercial aircraft in particular are getting longer and customer airlines demand, quite reasonably, better reliability from products which adds to this longer lifecycle. The margins made on the demand for fewer spares over the long lifecycle of the programmes help to recover the initial very high initial and continuing investment costs and are a vital part of any business investment plan for such programmes - without these they would not get launched as they would be unaffordable.

Secondly we as consumers forever want better value (cheap flight tickets for instance or better car deals) - this exerts enormous downward pressures on the price of products sold and reduces the cash inflows to the manufacturer during the life of the product. In relative terms the price of an airliner is now much cheaper than it used to be - as a consequence the time frame for recovering the enormous up front costs (investment in new products) gets longer and the premiums charged on spares becomes ever more important. Of course industry is forever trying to reduce costs / improve productivity to offset this commercial reality.

It is possible that the manufacturers of Rc models face the same issues although the relative scale of the initial investment/development costs and lifecycles would be much lower.... but then again so too are the volumes of products sold....

Thread: building bench
25/09/2017 21:19:06

Great looking workshop David P and fully understand they rarely look pristine!😂

Edited By Jon Laughton on 25/09/2017 21:19:44

25/09/2017 09:25:40

I have worn varifocals for over ten years - never had any problems with them in the workshop or flying. Due to ageing rheumatic joints and knackered everything else I now tend to sit down at my 'normal height worktable' (a freebie second hand dining table) in the workshop on an old office swivel chair.

Of course sometimes I do have to stand up to work on models but eventually age tells me to sit down again have a drink and listen to Classic FM! Oh to be young and pain free once more.....(but won't be giving areomodelling up any time soon - hopefully)

Jon

Thread: New sport model
20/09/2017 16:14:50

Depends how well you build a model form scratch! It always makes sense to check the glued joints in an ARTF although. generally speaking these days the quality is very good. The ARTF Acrowot is probably lighter than the built up kit as the wing in the build kit is made of foam covered in a veneer..

20/09/2017 16:07:41

Niall - I dont understand the context of your question: please expand?

19/09/2017 13:38:00

Yes the OS is comparable in terms of size and performance but personally having flown Acrowots with both the OS is superior

Thread: Mens Sheds
18/09/2017 15:28:35

I tried to get the local Mens Sheds to link up with our club last year but they were completely disinterested bordering on being rude so I gave up...but I agree the idea I sound.

Thread: ARTF - The Stevo way
14/09/2017 08:49:41

I use clearcote for sealing trim - never had a problem with it

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
SHREK
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues