By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew767

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew767 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric Cars.
17/02/2018 22:57:59

Leasing is not becoming popular ......it is popular!!...More than 90% of new cars coming on to the roads are rented on PCPs and the cost of that PCP is entirely dependent on the resale value. Diesel values are collapsing and those rentals are not going to remain cheap. The only economical option ( whether you like it or not!!!) is to switch to EV,HEV or PHEV......

Andrew

17/02/2018 21:16:06

Percy....Regards servicing...Yes,Ev is cheaper because there is less to do.I pay £21 a month. Yes the brake pads need changing less frequently because you brake less using regen....As to resale values, i couldn't believe the comment about EV's being worth 50% of an I.c...That has to be a joke!!...Example..3yr old Outlander PHEV £17000..3yr old Outlander Diesel £10500..both cost the same when new. This was at a main dealer.

Bob, an Outlander might be just the vehicle for you. Have a look at the Mitsubishi website.

P.s Percy, i wonder how many people on this thread either own or have ever used an EV reading some of the comments.

Andrew........A happy PHEV owner!!

25/01/2018 20:18:32

Pay per mile is the way it will go...otherwise people would get around any tax by using solar arrays and powerwalls. Using PPM, everyone pays. It's a bit like VAT. You can cheat on the income tax but everyone pays when they spend it.

Andrew

Thread: Hitec anyone else thinking of jumping ship
24/01/2018 21:15:53

I have to say that i have not had any problems with Spektrum (another G2 DX7 user) and i don't know anyone else who has had problems,bearing in mind that most of my club use Spektrum.

Andrew

Thread: Electric Cars.
24/01/2018 20:53:48

Pay per mile would be great because those who use the roads most would pay the most...pretty fair by any estimation. It might also make people think about those unneeded journeys and help to unclog the roads.

Percy, you clearly love Toyota and theres no denying their reliability including their Lexus offshoot but don't forget that the Mitsubishi Outlander was voted most reliable SUV in 2017 and that was in no small part down to the PHEV version.

Andrew

23/01/2018 20:05:02
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 23/01/2018 17:06:42:

One dark winter morning I'd just set off to work along our quiet road on my bike and had a near miss from a postman stepping off the kerb reading the addresses on the letters he was carrying. That and suddenly seeing a ladder extended across the road as a guy was carrying on his shoulder down an entry made me wonder if silence really is golden No other traffic about on either occasion - I used to set off about 06.30.

I suppose there's the added hazard of people walking along looking at their so-called smart phones these days.

OK, back on topic. If we're looking for a hybrid or 100% electric car (probably the former) second-hand has anyone any idea where or what we should be looking at? We rarely use the car for short journeys. We usually walk or catch the bus into either of our two local small towns which are only 2.5 miles away in opposite directions. As we only drive about 3k miles/year fuel consumption isn't so important but my wife in particular is very environmentally aware and we'd prefer to pollute as little as possible. My main car use is to go flying.

Geoff

Geoff

You say you don't use your car for short journeys.If thats the case then diesel still makes sense. EVs, HEVs and PHEVs at the moment make most sense on multiple short journeys and the occasional longer trip. Used EVs are thin on the ground and you you need to decide what type of vehicle that you need first. Then consider, the type of journey that you make most often. To be honest if you need a big estate for flying and you only cover 3000mls a year, an Outlander PHEV could be right down your street as you could run it almost exclusively on electric....i.e....cheap as chips.

Depends on your Kwh charge of course but i get 25mls for about 90pence. Way cheaper than petrol.

Andrew

23/01/2018 15:51:49

EVs have a white noise generator to alert pedestrians. If the car was totally silent, then the driver had chosen to turn it off!. I have this option on mine but i don't really see the point of it, so leave mine on. As Phil says the issue is more to do with people not looking where they are walking or focusing on something else like a phone.

Andrew

22/01/2018 22:21:33

Trevor

Interesting comment near the end of your post. Outlander PHEV owners forum advice is to only buy from and have serviced by a main dealer. I think i pay £22 a month for the service plan.

Andrew

22/01/2018 21:18:09

Percy

Have a look at "Fully Charged" on youtube. The road test has been done. A very different beast to the original.

Andrew

22/01/2018 19:44:09
Posted by Percy Verance on 22/01/2018 18:21:10:

Matty, re: Buying a used Nissan Leaf. I read an article in (I think) What Car magazine regarding used Leaf purchase. It seems the older Jap built cars are less desirable because of their older, more costly type of battery pack. It also seems the earlier Leaf variants are not as well assembled as later (post 2013) UK built examples which have slightly increased range. Now there's a pleasant surprise. Basically, the Leaf seems a sound proposition if the car suits you. I'm not sure I care for the Miss Marple styling myself, but hey we're all different. Used values seem robust enough, compared to similarly sized conventionally powered cars.

Incidentally Matty, as it presently stands hybrid vehicles are taking just under 4% of the new market, with the Toyota Yaris Hybrid being the best selling model. And of that share of the market, about 10% are of the pure electric variety. So certainly a long way to go, but stranger things have happened. Many moons ago, an elderly motorcycle enthusiast was recalling the days when a Japanese company named Honda introduced the C50, a little step thru scooter for commuters. Hardened bikers laughed of course. After all, who'd want a Japanese motorbike? The rest of course is history.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/01/2018 18:59:34

Percy are those the 2017 sales figures?. At December 2017 there were 115000 EVs of all types on UK roads.63% were Outlanders.

The increased range on the Leaf is down to 2 battery options, a 24kwh and a 30kwh. 2018 model will have 40kwh.

What the capacity of some of these batteries will be in 10yrs is anyones guess as there are no vehicles of that age to prove one way or the other. However, Mitsubishi and Yuasa, who make the cells, expect around 90% in normal usage. That is one of the reasons why the battery warranty increased from 5 to 8yrs,the packs are simply standing up better than expected.

As for the OPs original question. My PHEV cost £40k when new in 2014 and with the then subsidy of £5k, £35k. At 3yrs old and 35000miles i paid just under £17k so quite a saving. They will get cheaper and more people will be able to afford them.

Andrew

Thread: Which model flight simulators work on windows 10.
21/12/2017 15:33:03

Erfolg

Glad it went to a good home and that you've found it of use. Dave Bran's advice is good also. Pretty much what i would have suggested.

Andrew

14/11/2017 12:19:17

Erfolg

I have a lead on the table in front of me.PM me your address details and it's yours.

Andrew

13/11/2017 22:57:18
Posted by Erfolg on 13/11/2017 21:35:21:

I cannot work out if phoenix can use a Futaba Tx or it must have a Spektrum Tx. Does any one know?

Adaptor leads are available for Futaba but i had problems getting a 7CAP to work with Phoenix. Ripmax suggested that the output on the trainer socket was too weak. I couldn't resolve the issue and used a 6EX which worked fine.

Andrew

12/11/2017 16:57:34

I also have Phoenix on windows 10.

Andrew

Thread: Tim Shaw
23/10/2017 18:49:37

Yes Matty...That was his account.

Andrew

Thread: Micro Aces Bristol F.2b
22/10/2017 21:14:26

This is fantastic,but what rx does it use please?

Andrew

Thread: Tim Shaw
20/10/2017 20:38:38

Hi everyone

It is with great sadness that i have to let you know that Tim Shaw, who contributed much to this forum, sadly passed away at 6.00pm this evening. Tim was a great guy and many of the slopers amongst you will have known him well. Yet another flyer we have lost and he will be sadly missed. My thoughts of course are with his family.

Andrew

Thread: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?
12/10/2017 16:31:09

Another one that can't vote because there is no option for me. Beth, can't we have an option for started with kits or plans as that would cover many who can't vote now?

Andrew

Thread: Covering scissors
24/09/2017 17:15:49

Wickes wallpaper scissors also work well and are cheap.

Andrew

Thread: LOADED DICE 40
29/05/2017 19:33:17

Tony

Just out of curiosity..What is the difference between the LD40 and the LD30e....You said the canopy fitted but are the aircraft basically the same size??

Andrew

P.s....Your build is still fascinating....laugh.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues