By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Leighfield

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Leighfield has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cura 2.5.0
18/02/2018 22:06:51

Thank you Simon, much appreciated. I’ve put this on the back burner while learning how to use CAD, I’m doing a ten week course at Dudley College, althoughI’m somewhat slow!

I’ve got notifications about the updates on Cura and I will get around to it.

Thread: Fokker EIII Scratch build
18/02/2018 21:35:13

Great to meet you too Martyn. I think the EIII is quite an achievement in 21/2 months from scratch, a skill level way beyond mine. As far as getting handling problems resolved I’ve had similar difficulties getting the Fairey Long Range Monoplane to work, it didn’t like going round corners. Suddenly it started to turn like it should and the major changes apart from fitting ailerons are the change to the larger fin and rudder from the second machine and shoving the c of g so far forward that I find it hard to believe. It was interesting to see that you were getting signs of interference that were similar to those I was getting with BipeOne.

Maybe you need to give the EIII a bit of time to resolve the issues and target next year’s nats. It’s got to be a serious contender.

Thread: BipeOne
18/02/2018 21:24:33

I’m pleased to say that BipeOne had it’s first outing at Shawbury and fulfilled my expectations! I flew it three times and experimented with rudder settings, elevator was spot on from the beginning. I had way over-estimated the rudder throw and by the third flight it was on the lowest rate, 40%. I had to call it a day then because I was getting spurious signal inputs on the ground, with the motor kicking in. My fear was that my new Orange Tx6i tx was the culprit, but the three other models programmed into it had no sign of the problem, so it’s an issue with the rx. Very frustrating. Otherwise it’s not often that a new project comes good straight away, so this is very pleasing. All I wanted was a safe, robust and manoeuvrable indoor flyer and this it, easily doing figures of eight in the centre of the hangar. I’ll replace the rx because I don’t know how to fix it.

Thread: Cura 2.5.0
18/02/2018 21:07:26

Thanks Ian, nice to hear from you. I’ll take another look at this and come back to you.

18/02/2018 20:57:55

47bbba8e-7210-49d9-8b1f-0c28e949240a.jpeg3e5b7428-2161-4e55-a4ff-21f413e6bd96.jpeg16def01d-9271-4bbb-b46c-d8d15c35a71e.jpegGreat to see Martin at Shawbury today with the fantastic EIII, a work of art and it was sensational to see the wing warping in action. As expected with a tricky prototype like this the initial trimming wasn’t easy but as Martyn got to grips with it the flights got steadier and steadier. He believed that he needs to increase the degree of warping to improve control and he will probably explain that himself. My IPhone photos aren’t great, but here they are.a645a3d6-ba81-47d6-aede-42e94ab26cb1.jpeg

Thread: Proposed new drone legislation/registration
16/02/2018 08:14:48

I’ve followed this with great interest because it is so important, although I feel unable to add much that is useful to this high quality debate. I personally have no interest in multi-rotor drones except for their use as tools. I am interested in aeroplanes, always have been. These machines are electro-mechanical devices. I thought that ChrisB’s opinion on the practicality of some of the suggested uses such as delivery was thought provoking. I can understand why film makers say that there aren’t many days in the year that they can work, because they want perfect visibility. When I was flying full-size Group “A” I quickly found out how frequently the number of days when weather looked good on the ground proved to be unsuitable for VFR because the visibility was actually lousy, due to haze etc. However the proposed use for delivery purposes, whether on pre-determined routes or to bespoke addresses, will use electronic navigation and won’t be affected by visibility issues. Very strong winds can be an issue, but that will be the exception rather than the rule. In the full-sized category the rapid development of multi-rotor autonomous taxis is going to lead to acceptance and widening adoption in the coming years. What we are moving towards must be a re-definition of the rules for the low-level use of air space, which is going to become more intense in populated areas. The effects in remote and countryside areas, such as those where we tend to fly, should be much less, so I tend to share BEB’s view that our position will be acceptably manageable.

15/02/2018 22:05:13

I’m looking forward to seeing that on Sunday. Also I’m hoping for something better than my total disaster last time when I couldn’t get anything to work!

10/02/2018 17:42:54

Amazing piece of work. It didn’t take you all that long either, at least by my standards!

Thread: Proposed new drone legislation/registration
09/02/2018 15:57:15

A long time ago I saw a cutting from a newspaper dated 1909, showing model aircraft being flown in Sutton Park.it’s been going on there ever since, so that’s well over a century and there must have been several sites around the country where the same thing was happening, the flying bug bit very early.

Thread: From Lysander to Lightning
07/02/2018 22:25:18

welkin.jpgwest_welkin.jpgwelkin (d).jpgwelkin 30-10-07 005.jpgHere are the Welkins. The first is the 58” version that I originally designed and built, but gave to Dave Chinery to finish and fly when my late wife was seriously ill. He featured it in his “Flying Sparks” column in RCME. The next two pictures show the F1 and the single night Fighter two seater prototype. The next show the unflown 70” version. I probably need to re-make the tail to reduce the weight at the back, there’s scope to do that. A very interesting Petter design. The pressurised cockpit technology provided the foundation for the Normalair Garrett business that manufactured such systems for airliners around the world later.welkin 30-10-07 007.jpg.

07/02/2018 22:02:36

Hi Piers. I never flew it! On the occasion I took it to the field I clumsily shorted out the battery and nearly blew myself up, no damage to the plane. I was relieved in truth because I knew that c of g was a bit rearward and the process of getting it right was adding weight, so I put it on one side to come back to one day. It’s currently sitting alongside my Hughes XF11,which did fly well but needs new motors. I still need to fully retire, keep on telling myself that I will.

05/02/2018 19:53:33

Don’t forget that the plane he designed before the Canberra was the Welkin, quite a difference! There was actually a proposal to build a version of the Welkin with jets that didn’t proceed, probably a good thing! Although not a huge success, about 100 were built but didn’t see active service beyond combat testing with AFDU. Most were stored in MUs for some years and then scrapped. It’s Whirlwind heritage is obvious, also his design.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 05/02/2018 19:54:01

05/02/2018 19:43:48

I’m looking forward to seeing that one Chris, it has a certain charm!

Thread: Design & Build Dornier Do 24
05/02/2018 19:00:29

It’s going to be beautiful, you have a great taste in subjects.

Thread: What star sign are you? Is there a trend with flyers?
05/02/2018 18:56:16

I’m a Leo, although I tend to be a bit timid.

05/02/2018 18:51:10

I’ve been at home today and late afternoon the wind dropped off, so I took the opportunity to do some more testing in the cul-de-sac! It was clear that the 5mg. weight under the motor wasn’t necessary, I was putting in a lot of up trim. I took it out and set the trim back to neutral. Perfect, it flies beautifully. Although there was limited opportunity to turn in the space available, it responded well to rudder and recovered to straight flight immediately it was put back to neutral. All in flying weight is now 65 gms, so I’m very happy with that. I’m translating my working drawings into a proper plan with working notes, coming along pretty well as you can see. I want to be able to do this one again, if anybody else fancies having a go I’d be happy to copy it for them. As usual I’m running out of time with work commitments for most of the rest of this week and I will be away from home for nine days from Friday. That means the first chance to fly it properly will be at Shawbury the day after I get home, so I just hope I don’t fly it into a girder. Having said that, it’s tough enough to survive. It will be the first test of the Orange transmitter as well, it looks promising.2243b42c-c179-496f-85c9-d963b641f948.jpeg

02/02/2018 22:09:48

Thanks Chris. It’s a simple and cheap “quickie” and a nice diversion from some of the brain draining complex stuff that we tend to commit ourselves to! I’ll sketch it out properly so if anybody wants to do it I can copy it for them.

Steve, upper wing 22”,lower 20”, total area 150 sq ins. You share my view on the flying speed and the braced biplane layout has created a very stiff structure, it is robust and looks ideal for the job.

02/02/2018 19:43:53

Thanks Wilco! I want to get a chance to test it and set it up before the next visit to Shawbury, the steel structure of the hangar isn’t the best place for the first flight if trimming is needed, at least for a half competent pilot like me! The problem is where because you really need nearly zero wind for something like this and we haven’t seen much of that lately! This afternoon I got home early and grabbed the chance to go the airfield, taking the Grasshopper/Cub that I have repaired after the incident with the DX6I, re-booting it onto my Dx7. I had three perfect flights with textbook landings, pretty much confirming that the problems previously were related to the other transmitter. When I got back home and put everything away I realised that the wind had gone. Although getting a bit dark, I grabbed BipeOne and took it into our cul de sac. It tracks straight and lifts off cleanly. It was nose heavy and makes me think that the 5gm wheel balancing weight under the motor wasn’t necessary, but in three consecutive flights progressive trimming sorted it out and I’ll probably leave it as it is. I didn’t risk any turning flights in the restricted space and poor light, particularly I don’t want to alienate the neighbours! However it clearly flies and with a large rudder and 5 degrees of dihedral both sides it should turn ok.

02/02/2018 15:45:03

Thanks chaps. Geoff has noticed my “senior moment”. The Lipo is of course 1S 160 mah. Apologies for that.

Thread: Chris's Vicomte 1916
01/02/2018 20:53:18

Looking forward to another work of art!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues