By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Sheppard

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Sheppard has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RES-Eagle Glider RCME March 2018
16/03/2018 10:55:17

Hi Warren

The rods in my kit are pulltruded. With such a small diameter the difference in torsional strength would be minimal and the cost significant.

My build has been delayed as I have to finish the kitchen!

I am planning to install a aero tow release similar to this courtesy of scale soaring UK.It is simple and light, I have used it on bigger models before with no problem. I will be using our club electric trainer as the tug

05/03/2018 14:45:31

My kit has just arrived despite the weather. ready to clear the board and start building.

Has anyone used small magnets and a washer let into the ribs under the covering as a method of retaining the tips instead of tape?

28/02/2018 14:27:35

Hi Ton

Ordered mine today.

All kits /short kits now have 6mm tip spars and ribs to suit.

Have you got a photo of the spoiler linkage? It looks tight as the linkage from the servo goes over the spar to the spoiler .

27/02/2018 16:03:02

Any idea when the kits with 6mm spars will be available?

I am waiting to order one and get building ready for the summer(if we have one!)

Thread: Speed Twin 60" ST1
29/09/2014 10:21:30

I am just considering building the Speed twin and found this topic.

I would like to build the bigger one if possible. What is the status on the plans?

Thread: The Atom Special
26/09/2014 13:26:08

I have been waiting for the CNC cut pack to be available-.£38.49 , is this a typo or does it include the blades and GRP parts?

Thread: Ask 18 1/4 scale glider from Cliff Charlesworth plans
27/12/2013 16:54:53

Hi Stuart

I use 3mm threaded rod with a metal clevice each end.I also used a lock nut on the rod and silicone tube on the clevice as the linkage is only accessible by removing the fin and tailplane.

15/12/2013 21:33:00

Hi Stuart

The carbon rod is hollow.The hole is a good fit for the 3mm pushrod and epoxy.I then bound the pushrod around the end of the tube with thread and epoxy for insurance!

Yes the carbon rod part of the pushrod slides in the balsa guides .I installed the pushrod and then fitted the guides to ensure no slop or binding.

14/12/2013 17:52:19

Hi Stuart

I have a 1/4 scale T61 which had a sloppy servo linkage with a rear mounted servo( and lead in the nose).I moved the servo to the rear of the cockpit and used a 6mm carbon rod with 3mm pushrods epoxied down the tube.This is supported down the fuselage with 2 no 6mm square balsa across the fuselage frames and 2 vertically in the form of a cross with the carbon pushrod running in the hole. one at either end of the fuselage. This has removed the slop and allowed me to remove 125g of lead from the nose.

Hope this helps

25/10/2012 22:09:12

Hi Stuart

Looks great and sounds like it flies well.Can you reduce the throw on the airbrakes.Mine only open about 30 dergrees which I did not think was enough but cannot alter without surgery.I have only tried them once at height but it does steepen the decent enough but no sign of dropping a wing.Will look at the pilots.I have 2 seats but will probably only put a pilot in one.

I still need to work out the best way to secure the battery and connect up without having to remove the pilot, instrument panel etc. i need to weigh my model as well but I think it will be 12- 15 lb

22/10/2012 18:03:06

Hi Stuart

All looking good

I bottled out on building one and bought a ready to fly electric 1/4 scale T61 (Cliff Charlesworth plan).Even though I new the model had flown I was nervous about the length of take off etc. The model is powered by a brushless outrunner on 6 cells turning a 14*10 prop at 1200 wattts.I opened the throttle slowly and to my suprise the model was airbourne in about 15m at about 2/3rds throttle.The landing run is also short and safe using the spoilers and a touch of throttle.The biggest problem I have is judging the distance as the model is over twice the size of models I usually fly.

Unfortunately I damaged the cowl and landing wheel after a motor problem(loose screws on the motor shaft) on take off resulted in a heavy arrival after a stall from around 3m. I have taken the opportunity to refit the model and install a scale cockpit.Have you found a source for a reasonably priced 1/4 scale pilot?

11/04/2012 09:26:03

Hi Stuart

Looks like it is coming on well.Are you planning on sheeting the whole fuselage?The Cliff Charlesworth plan shows 1/16 balsa sheet to frame G or all the way-without all the diagonal bracing you have put in!

I have a 3.6m cross country glider with similar size ailerons the servos are standard size and about 15 years old so will be fairly low torque(3.0kg).I would go for the servo with the most torque that will fit the space for ailerons and a standard servo for the spoilers as there is very little torque on these as the load is at 90 degrees to the servo pull. Have a look at Giantcod .

Are you likely to be hiring out your fuselage jig?It looks like a lot of work went into it but with good results.

19/03/2012 18:00:59

I have the Cliff Charlesworth plan which shows the wings built around a full depth spar box(two piece ribs) ,in your photo they look like one piece which would create more work.Are they balsa or ply?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues