By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frank Skilbeck

Here is a list of all the postings Frank Skilbeck has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: APC tiny bite
12/12/2017 21:30:30
Posted by gangster on 12/12/2017 21:24:36:

Interesting if you try to order a chicken stick on eBay. The search comes up with all sorts of dog treats

Some here too chose from

Thread: futaba T10J
12/12/2017 21:24:37

Tony, manual is here http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/10j-manual.pdf looks like you select the type of receiver when you are setting the model up in the memory, see page 40.

Thread: AI Soaring
12/12/2017 11:18:03

Not sure it will be allowed in competition http://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/drones/a27789/microsoft-training-gliders-for-wireless-internet/ wink

Thread: P.A.W. 1.49 plain bearing - can't adjust compression
11/12/2017 22:59:25

Tom, have you read the article in this months RCME on starting and adjusting diesels.

Thread: covering
11/12/2017 21:10:11

Without seeing the plan it's difficult to comment, i.e. if the strut brackets are screwed into blocks in the wing then after covering would work, if the attachments are fixed to the wing structure then covering after might be better.

BTW a tex covering like Solartex would probably be better on this model. It's not too difficult to put a small slot in solartex and get it go over a strut attachment without it splitting.

Thread: Spektrum iX12
09/12/2017 15:54:50

While we all poo poo facebook and music on this Tx we are missing the main appeal of the Android system, this will apply to those who use flight controllers as they will be able to program their onboard devices from their Tx rather than taking a laptop or using a smart phone. Flight control developers will be able write standard Android app that will work on a tablet/phone or this Tx. Maybe that's why they released it as a mid range 12 channel Tx initially as this market doesn't have the need for 20 channels.

Just think what a boon this will be to model reviewers too, they will be able to write their review immediately after landing, it should become a standard RCME reviewers Tx wink

Thread: What servo for Wots Wot XL
07/12/2017 14:04:05

Rocker a Sub C cell is just a different size to AA or AAA, eg. https://www.overlander.co.uk/premium-sport-3800-6v-flat.html, the big advantage is the lower internal resistance compared to high capacity AA cells, so on a large model where the servos will draw more power requires more amps, the sub C cells are better at delivering the amps without any significant voltage dip compared to AA cells.

The chemistry is identical to the AA Nimh cells but their larger size means a lower internal resistance.

Thread: Using a bungee
06/12/2017 16:02:40

Don't forget to add the parachute to bring it back when it unhitches from the glider.

Thread: cold weather
30/11/2017 18:39:03
Posted by John Stainforth on 30/11/2017 18:22:08:

What, BTW, is the typical operating temperature range of modern RC radio gear? I remember in the old days (early '60s) we used to worry about that because receivers could suffer a catastrophic loss of gain at sub-zero air temperatures. I've looked in my Spektrum manuals and can't find that information.

It's well below when my fingers and thumbs stop working sad

30/11/2017 18:06:04

One other thing I've been told is that in the cooler temps the methanol doesn't vapourise that easily so it is still in liquid droplets when it enters the cylinder so the plug not only has to ignite the mixture but get the combustion chamber hot enough for the fuel to vapourise.

A friend keeps a small bottle with a methanol petrol mix in it, a quick squirt in the carb helps them fire up as the petrol vapourises much better. Once the engine is hot then no problem.

I recall an older modelling friend of mine telling me they used to add a dash of petrol in their fuel in winter.

Thread: Dihedral in flying wing design?
29/11/2017 17:29:45

The full size Fauvel AV36 had 2.5 deg dihedral on the outer panels, https://scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAGE/Documentation/AV36/AV36.html

Flying wings are good fun but not the most efficient, one I have (I didn't build it thought) is 2nd on this video, at around 1:38 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGkoz4oHvjc

Thread: Motor mounting
28/11/2017 11:24:25
Posted by Andy48 on 28/11/2017 11:18:39:
Posted by John Emms 1 on 27/11/2017 12:53:06:

The radial mount set came as a result of people wanting a motor to be fitted on the front of a bulkhead, and it was a Chinese company that first came up with the solution. Unfortunately the company that came up with this did not re-design the motor, so the prop loads now bear on the tiny bearing at the back that is cantilevered on a relatively weak alloy tube (supporting the end of the rotor). For the greatest durability, the real answer is to mount any motor so that the prop is mounted on the shaft, with the motor behind the mounting plate, but I have mounted outrunners "the wrong way" for convenience with models that have been converted from IC.

I think you are viewing this from the experience of just one manufacturer some time ago. Now most motor manufacturers offer both prop mountings. I use Turnigy SK3 with the prop adaptor bolted to the can, and I've never had any problems with bearing, in fact just the opposite, the motors run as quietly as the day they were first fitted.

Me too, I have an 1800 watt 8s set up running like this for several years, no issues.

Thread: Flair Cub J3 self build kit
28/11/2017 11:20:59

As Denis says, with a Cub a bit of aileron differential (more up than down movement) can make for nicer turns, you can do this mechanically on a single servo set up by offsetting the control rods on the servo disc, but if you use 2 servos you can adjust this electronically and fine tune the sweet spot.

When the flair cub was first out (25 years ago?) the basic Futaba servo was around £11, they are still around the same today, plus a lot of people only had a 4 channel radio, so it was really for economics back then.

BTW 30 years ago I had a Chris Foss Phase 6 glider with a single aileron servo, friend is currently building one and it's set up for a 4 servo wing now. I am also in the process of refurbishing an old Sig Clipped Wing cub and I've changed it from a single aileron servo to independent servos.

Thread: Laser 150 V TWIN REBUILD
27/11/2017 18:50:26

Sounds great and throttles well, but you are pleased.

Now what's it going to go in yes

Thread: Fake DLE engines
26/11/2017 22:40:11
Posted by bert baker on 26/11/2017 20:26:02:

I have one fake and one original, both are good, makes me wonder why the fakers just don't brand there own, they seem capable of making a good engine.

Because if they gave it it's own brand name they would have to promote it and gain a reputation, and probably compete with the cheaper AGM/Turnigy/NGH motors, it's an easier sale selling a branded product a bit cheaper takes all the hassle out of building up a brand name and providing after sales service.

Thread: Vintage Digifleet.
26/11/2017 22:33:34

I think I used to run some of my receiver/servos on 5 cell (6v) packs, I might have some instructions somewhere I can check.

Thread: BMFA A thread for off topic posts
24/11/2017 14:16:08
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 24/11/2017 12:06:20:

As fas as I am aware Barkston is 900 acres.

It feels even bigger than that when you are walking round wink

Thread: Good News from the BMFA AGM
24/11/2017 08:58:17
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 24/11/2017 00:26:59:
Posted by Erfolg on 23/11/2017 18:32:15:

My final concern, does not singularly relate to the NFC That is the BMFA purpose is to support all aspects of aeromodelling. The various sub sets of competitive groups being smaller by a margin than the club fliers, who just enjoy flying a model aircraft, where success is often meeting other club members at the field and a couple of fun flights, for no obvious purpose. We need (in my opinion) more committee members who represent this large group.

Edited By Erfolg on 23/11/2017 18:37:06

Well Erfolg, the issue as I see it is that few Club members wish to be Club Committee members. Far fewer wish to attend or stand for election to Area Committees. And.... even fewer wish to stand as Area Delegate which gives them a seat on Council. So, if more people who wish to represent the flying for, as you put it "where success is often meeting other club members at the field and couple of fun flights, for no obvious purpose" wish to stand for election your aim will be met. Step forward and take over the running of the BMFA. I'm willing to bet that none of that type of modeller you describe will choose to do so - I will be delighted if I'm wrong though!

As club secretary I do try and go to the BMFA area meetings held near me, but very few clubs bother to send any representatives, those that do go, ask and get BMFA support with their flyins, the only stipulation is that the event is open to BMFA members. Other discussions are usually around organising examiners days (where BMFA member can go along and fly) and promoting model flying at schools and fetes etc.

Thread: Laser 150 V TWIN REBUILD
23/11/2017 22:31:16
Posted by Denis Watkins on 23/11/2017 20:08:57:

I still find it odd to see the 4 stroke run without pressure

The tanks clearly show no pressure attached

And Laser recommend no pressure

Yet am certain if the motor was mine, I would routinely connect up for muffler pressure.

Why not guys?

There is no pressure connection on the silencer for one, and two they never seem to need it so people don't bother with the hassle of modifying the engine. One thing my Lasers (and they are very old ones) are quite insensitive to needle settings, my ASP91 and TT 75 fourstrokes only need to be one click out, but my lasers are not so critical. My 30+ year old 61 is currently turning a 14 x 6 at around 8400 rpm.

Thread: Good News from the BMFA AGM
23/11/2017 14:55:24

KC, you've missed the point, there are some buildings and conference rooms at the center, this is what they are renting out for companies to hold meetings/conferences at, the flightlines are for our use, but the conferences are helping to support the center, if the people using the center for a conference get to see our hobby then hopefully that is good promotion, as would be having a few corporate days to introduce others to the hobby, I can't see corporations rushing to take over a Sam35 flyin frown.

The rooms are being used for a swapmeet in December, but I can't imagine swapmeets would use the rooms for 365 days of the year.

Already it's getting booked up next year with different aspects of the hobby booking it, we are planning to attend an aerotow that has been scheduled for next May.

The cost of having a site that is big enough to support the nationals in it's current form would have been prohibitive.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues