By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frank Skilbeck

Here is a list of all the postings Frank Skilbeck has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: OS120E Needle Valve woes
22/08/2017 18:35:52
Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 22/08/2017 16:50:10:

If i recall the 120 used to be shipped with 2 needles. One was long/pointy and one was blunted and short. You were supposed to change them around depending on your fuel i think. I cant remember, it was a while ago i read the instructions.

You could also try turning off the on board glow and leaning out the slow run. If the slow run is super rich the main needle may not be able to compensate.

Mmm two needles, the one that is in is blunted and short, the LA needle we tried was a bit longer, so that may be it, but there's no mention of this in the instructions and only one needle shown in the parts list. Will have a look at the low end too.

22/08/2017 16:48:58

Denis, it's not leaking in air, we can't shut down the fuel feed to the engine with the needle valve, it bottoms out before the engine has reached max rpm, even with the needle valve fully in it runs rich at wide open throttle

O ring and everything look in good conditions.

I am wondering if the carb casting could be damaged or porous and allowing fuel to bypass the needle valve.

We have maize fields, over 8ft high, on two sides of out field, so the on board glow is there to keep the engine running at tickover on landing approach with guaranteed pickup if the plane is going short, we've lost members in the maize field.........................

BTW it's a Just Engines onboard glow system and I must say it works really well and you don't even need to attach an external glow battery for starting.

22/08/2017 15:54:25

The onboard glow shuts off once the throttle is 1/3rd open, the engine doesn't stop at wide open throttle it just runs rich and you can't screw the needle valve in any more, up to that point the needle valve does work as screwing it out makes it run richer. A different needle valve did allow us to get it a bit leaner and another 1,000 rpm but it was still running rich.

It's like there's either too much tank pressure or fuel is leaking into the engine!

22/08/2017 15:17:09

Just acquired one of these in a 2nd hand model, apparently only had 8 tanks through it (it does look very clean), it starts up just fine and ticks over great on the on-board glow. Pick up is fine too, but we can't lean it out, it's still running rich with the main needle valve full in!

Looking at the parts list and photos of spares the needle valve looks correct, but putting in a needle valve out of a LA46 (which is slightly longer) let us get a few more revs but even then it was still running rich with the needle valve screwed fully in.

The silencer has a very thin wall 3" extension on the outlet, my first thoughts are this is increasing the exhaust back pressure and hence fuel tank pressure, but before we go too far can anybody suggest anything else we should check.

Thread: Acro Wot ARTF (balsa) chat
21/08/2017 08:08:08

If you can't tighten up the existing closed loop wires, I'd replace them like for like, using the old wires to pull the new ones through if you can.

As regards aileron differential, remember if you put some in it will be the wrong way round when inverted........

Thread: Wireless Copilot - mAh telemetry
19/08/2017 09:43:40

+1 for the Unisens E, I have 2, but they only work in conjunction with a radios telemetry system and are not a standalone system.

You could use one with a Multiplex receiver and Souffluer voice unit but it starts to get very expensive compared to the Safe to Fly units which were quite reasonably priced.

But Patrick have you checked out the DIY unit in RCME this month, not voice but a high power LED which triggers when you've hit the desired mah.

19/08/2017 08:13:02

Not been around for a few years now, the last post on their facebook page was June 2014.

The only other alternatives I know of would be quite expensive and you'd probably be better off moving to a system with inbuilt telemetry.

Thread: RX switch mounting
17/08/2017 14:05:18
Posted by Phil 9 on 17/08/2017 13:23:00:

well I did wonder about accidental switching and using a push on rod would stop it being knocked to off bit I had not considered an accidental on as I thought this was not as bad. But it still could be very inconvenient, a peg stopper would work well. I also like the fishing line idea. I will have to experiment with both
as for switches I have used this type for a while without any failure yet (touch wood) **LINK**

Edited By Phil 9 on 17/08/2017 13:25:59

I must have been unlucky, only had one switch with that exact same face-plate which i bought at a show, first plane I put it in the telemetry low Rx voltage was going off every time I moved the sticks, I thought it was a duff battery , but it turned out that the switch was very high resistance, so any current drawn (i.e. moving a servo) caused a big voltage drop.

+1 yes for the SLEC internal switch mounts too.

Thread: AOL users, is this a scam?
17/08/2017 13:59:58

Yep, here's a article in the Independent laugh

Thread: Flight Time Cut in Half!
14/08/2017 21:12:55

One other thing to check is that you haven't accidentally set your charger to LiFe rather than LiPo, LiFe charge to a lower voltage.

Thread: SFM Fokker DVII Kit
12/08/2017 19:14:45

d7 - 34b.jpg

12/08/2017 19:09:40

Simon it was the June 2017 issue, PM me if you have any problems finding it.

12/08/2017 16:54:20

I did the review of the kit for RCMW a few months ago, yes it's a nice model, a few scale discrepancies, but it looks good and flies pretty well too.

The kit stickers are pretty poor though and don't adhere that well to a tex covering.

Thread: Flair Fokker DVII downthrust
12/08/2017 08:17:58

Laser 70 should be fine, mine flies on an ancient Laser 61, and yes there is a significant amount of downthrust.

Thread: futaba end point set up
11/08/2017 13:57:58

The other way to do it, is to set the linkage up with the throttle stick in the middle, i.e. servo at the center position and the carb 50% open, then adjust the end points so the servo doesn't bind at the top and bottom end. Once you've run the engine you may need to adjust the bottom end point if you can't get a good tickover on the trim or the throttle cut doesn't work.

Thread: Rules of thumb for cooling
11/08/2017 12:59:38

On electric models it's really somewhere for the heated up air to go, if it can't get out of the model it just gets warmer and warmer, so it's not really like trying to cool an IC motor.

I did have one model where the inlet was bigger than the outlet and it worked just fine.

I also on another model put a temperature sensor on the ESC and the temperature went up more at part throttle than full throttle, but I can't be sure whether that was because the model was flying faster or the ESC generating less heat.

Thread: Futaba R3106gf MOMO ?
11/08/2017 08:16:05

If it's not for a larger model there should be no issues with the single aerial Rx in my experience, I have the MPX single aerial receivers in several models upto 2.2m wingspan gliders and there have been no issues.

Thread: Easy star11
10/08/2017 22:24:27

Up to a level, but if it's quite windy then it will struggle to get back from downwind.

Thread: Flair cub electric conversion
10/08/2017 21:48:37

Keith, here's a couple of photos of a tow rag we built converted to electric, it's 1800 watts on an 8s so a bit more than your cub needs, for the hatch we just built the fuselage in one piece and then cut it out with a razor saw and then reinforced in, it;s held on with two magnets. Friend has got a cub that we converted too, but his had a functioning side door so we used that for the battery access.

tw-09.jpgtw-11b.jpg

Thread: Futaba R3106gf MOMO ?
09/08/2017 22:17:37

Multiplex also make single aerial receivers with telemetry.

The purpose of dual aerials is so you can orient them at 90 deg to each other, then if one is blanked or the alignment is such that the signal is not received very well the other takes over, by having them at 90 deg to each other one will always be in a pretty good position.

BTW on the Multiplex single aerial receivers they recommend you place the aerial vertically.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Gliders Distribution
SHREK
Expo Tools 14 July
TJD Models
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us