By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon Chaddock

Here is a list of all the postings Simon Chaddock has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What are the rules?
21/02/2018 00:11:14

Denis

1000 lbs?

I think you are ignoring the cube rule. For the same material 1/2 the size = 1/8 the weight.

Thread: Airbus A350 for 50 mm EDFs
20/02/2018 00:14:00

I took the advantage of a rare calm and relatively mild conditions a couple of days ago to maiden the A350. To my astonishment it flies really rather well.

The field was very soggy with big patches of standing water but the hand launch was easy and it simply climbed away.

It glides pretty well too such that it took me three approaches before I could get it down on a passably dry bit. The nacelle undersides still got a bit muddy but no damage!

maiden1

I will video the next flight. wink 2

Thread: What are the rules?
19/02/2018 17:15:44

supertigerfan

Don't get too hung up on figures and parameters. Most of model 'own design' comes from experience rather than a set of rules.

The truth of the matter is there are so many variables that there is no absolute right or wrong but just various degrees of attributes that suit your personal preference. A plane that you may like to build and fly may not suit another pilot.

Just a point but 'own designing' a full size scale subject does have the advantage that all the major dimensions are already determined by somebody else! You just set the size.

One way to gain own 'design' experience is to build a scale kit and fly it. Then apply the same construction techniques to a different but broadly similar size scale subject. You learn a lot about scaling dimensions and adjusting structures to suit. You also get to find out how to set it up and whether it actually flies better or worse.

I suspect this is how most own designers started - I certainly did back in the Keil Kraft days and I am still learning. wink 2

Thread: Cura 2.5.0
18/02/2018 21:56:51

Colin

You could down load the latest version of Cura 3.7.1. wink 2

Ultimaker and their community have modified things quite a bit to improve the user interface although at the same time the full list of possible variables is now huge. I have no idea what most of them actually do.

The Ultimaker Community is pretty good at answering queries and there is a fair chance one of the developers will answer! .

Thread: Electric Cars.
16/02/2018 17:09:28

When the oil really runs out travel as we know it will no longer be possible.

There will be electric trains and cars but no cheap travel, long distance commuting or cheap holiday flights!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 16/02/2018 17:10:39

Thread: Falcon 3 blade Pusher
16/02/2018 16:58:03

David

Based in New Zealand they appear to still be in business.

Steve Webb Models advertise the full range of 22 kits including the Autogyro.

Thread: DX6i not binding
16/02/2018 01:40:55

Clutching at straws a bit.

Have you sent your DX6i into Horizon since the beginning of 2016? If so it will have DSM2 disabled as it no longer legal for a manufacturer to use it. If your brick is DSM2 only then it will not bind. Remember just because you bought the brick recently it does not necessarily mean it is the latest version. wink 2

Like I said - clutching at straws..

Thread: Coming back after 50 years: bit lost
14/02/2018 00:38:11

Extending the battery to ESC leads does not kill the ESC instantly (unless you make the leads very long indeed) but the resulting extra load on the capacitors shortens their life and when the capacitors fail the ESC dies.

Thread: A Question for the Electric Cognoscenti.
12/02/2018 16:57:43

"BEC - 3A at 5V."

All than tells you is that the BEC circuit in the ESC provides 5V (regulated) and up to 3A.

Should be quite adequate unless a servo sticks which could then over load the BEC and drop the voltage to a point that the receiver cuts out.

Thread: Micro servo control rods
09/02/2018 18:56:28

I would endorse the use of paper clips, particularly for small electric!

I actually go a bit further in that as paper clips are so cheap and easy to do I just keep making them until I have one that is exactly the right size.

A "Z" bend only on the servo arm and a simple right angle at the control horn retained by a piece of wire insulation.

Once I am happy with the set up the insulation retainer is 'fixed' with a tiny dab of super glue.

Ail rod

Very light but rigid and lasts as long as the plane.

I have tried to count the number of these 'paper clip' links I have in current use. It is well over 50!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 09/02/2018 18:57:12

Thread: Don Valley mfc Open days 2018
06/02/2018 21:09:26

Look forward to it John

I should be a ble to bring 2 or 3 Depron 'oddities' that have not been seen before. wink 2

Thread: Please help newbie
05/02/2018 00:03:22

Tom

If you want to fly RC planes surely the best starting point is to buy a 'ready to fly' plane. It will already have a suitable motor ,battery, prop and servos and more important it will fly. How well iwill be down to you and you instructor.

It is also likely be able to withstand a certain amount of punishment which will happen as you learn

When you can fly it well you will have a much better understanding of what is required so the chances of success with you first build will be much improved. There is nothing more disheartening than watching the result of many hours of labour get destroyed in just a few seconds,

Although an experienced model builder and flyer I had never flown an electric RC plane so after the usual 20 year 'career' break I bought a ready to fly foam RC plane.

It did indeed fly but more important it gave me a starting point so with the help and advice of forums i was able to understand both how to improve it and just as vital what not to do.

There is a lot to learn, Take it in easy stages!

Thread: Single Channel Radio Control - RH Warring
03/02/2018 21:48:22

I have posted this before. My first RC, a MacGregor Terry Tone set.

Came as a kit that you soldered up yourself.

The transmitter in its home made case had a single valve.

ToneTx1.jpg

Note the vast battery compartment. 96V? battery above, 4 D cells below for the heater!

The receiver similarly had to be soldered together but it did use 5 transistors so ran on 3V.

ToneRx1.jpg.

No idea what its frequency really was but it did work driving an Elmic Conquest rubber escapement.

Installed in a home designed glider which actually flew so badly that the rudder control had little chance of influencing the inevitable crash.

I still have it.

The 27 mHz digital proportional Futaba 2M (2 channel) that followed a few years later seemed so advanced by comparison! wink 2

I still have that too!

Thread: Re: Death of IC
03/02/2018 15:36:04

Just swapping an IC engine for an electric set in any particular model does rather over look the differences between the two forms of power.

If the model is designed from scratch to make best use of the characteristics of electric power (just as a model is designed with IC in mind) its performance/flight time ratio can be significantly improved.

In one of my scale planes 9 x 2200 3S would give a total flight time much closer to the IC "1 gallon" duration. wink 2

01/02/2018 11:10:03

I think it has been touched on but we should not forget the economies of volume production.

If popularity of any "device" falls there is a critical point where cheap volume production is no longer economic so the unit cost rises and demand fall still further an increasing rate.

This could certainly happen to IC as engines are relatively expensive to make and assemble when compared to a brush less motor.

The rest of electric's components (ESCs and batteries) are machine assembled anyway so will continue to be "cheap" providing there is the demand volume..

IC will of course remain, particularly in the larger sizes but it is likely to become increasingly expensive to do.

So keep hold of your "old" IC engines!

Thread: Airbus A350 for 50 mm EDFs
23/01/2018 09:06:43

Erfplg

The masses are indeed concentrated close to the CofG. The fuselage is so light I doubt its inertia will be significant particularly with its fairly generous tail moment,.However there could be some aerodynamic effects of the long fuselage at the more extreme angle of attack that models can achieve.

Of more concern is the roll inertia of the relatively heavy motors on the wings coupled with its modest ailerons and rather flexible wings! wink 2

22/01/2018 14:48:00

After a rather nasty bout of flu (painting and coughing don't mix!) it is now virtually complete.

Complete 1

Just the cockpit windows to do.

It may look like it is made mostly of Depron, which it is,  but it has over 50 individual 3D printed components that have been used where particular strength, shape and repeatability are required.

It weighs 595 g (21 oz) ready to go with its 1000 mAh 4s.

I can see that all the controls work in their correct sens but 'jerking' a big lightweight plane around to show the stab functioning in the correct sense is not so easy.

In any case its maiden will have to wait for both ideal weather conditions and the grass to be cut so not likely any time soon! wink 2 .

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 22/01/2018 15:01:34

11/01/2018 12:17:03

The tail painted loosely following Thai Airlines scheme who were one of the initial customers of the A350 - 900. Fairly simple as the rest of the entire plane is white. wink 2

Tail paint

Taken with a flash so the purple comes out rather blue.

As a an experiment, and to save buying any more paint, the narrow gold and pink stripes are done with self adhesive "Fablon". Probably a bit heavy but there is not much of it.

10/01/2018 13:00:36

At last the replacement ESC has arrived but it needed some fiddly soldering to get it in.

New ESC Doesn't look very different than before but now both motors run on a 4s. smile

I also changed one of the props as it was horribly out of balance. A small 4 blade is hard to balance.

Once the wing and fuselage are put back together I will do a nose down thrust test on the kitchen scales, hopefully close to 16 oz thrust which should be "adequate" for its 21 oz all up..

Thread: Considering going electric - advice rplease
09/01/2018 22:54:27

Alex

I use 35 mHz with 'modest' electric no problem but then I fly alone most of the time.

Just remember that with 2.4 you really must have at least a diversity antennae or better still a satellite receiver.

2.4 with its tiny aerials is much more sensitive shielding and orientation unlike the long wires of 35!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues