By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Bott - Moderator

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Bott - Moderator has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Binding and updating
24/01/2017 21:33:43

That looks like the right filename for updating the Taranis internal RF module? It should end in .frk

Would you like me to do one for download from here again?

Thread: Failsafes, January article
24/01/2017 19:31:50
Posted by Cuban8 on 24/01/2017 11:12:24:

Please don't get me wrong, the failsafe facility on current radios is a vast improvement over what we had in the old 35Mhz days (nearly all non PCM sets as standard IIRC) and its only a good thing to inform modellers regarding its correct use and their legal responsibilities. However, what also does need to be driven home is the need for a good radio installation in the first place, so that it becomes unlikely that the failsafe will be triggered.

I sometimes still see receivers stuffed into models with the aerials bent to all sorts of odd angles and no thought given to the shielding effects of other components in the model. The notion of an adequate power supply is still a mystery to many flyers - and despite many good articles over the years and the internet being awash with information, a few modellers are still tripped up by relatively simple errors that either leave them with a busted model, or unjustified criticism of their gear.

Perhaps more on correct radio installation and basic electrical knowledge (relating to model radio systems) should be formally included in the 'A' test?

I do wish there was a "like" button on this forum.

Thread: Horus compatibility question
24/01/2017 19:27:01
Posted by MattyB on 24/01/2017 17:58:47:
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 24/01/2017 17:41:01:

I too had my reservations about the size and Weight, Matty. But for me at least, it was a perception thing. I'm now completely used to it. I fly thumbs with no strap and Horus now feels totally natural. In fact now I'm used to that, Taranis feels very light and toy like..

Sadly as I fly slope and DLG it isn't just a perception thing for me - I just don't think I could launch at full power with a Horus, and for trekking up a big hill and flying long slope session in the cold it doesn't offer me enough extra over an X9D to be worth the disadvantages. If I only flew power I would get shorter sticks and adjust to the weight, but I think it's M9 gimbals for me and (possibly) a second run X7 as a backup TX for my daughter to use.

Edited By MattyB on 24/01/2017 18:07:43

Sounds like a good plan Matty. For sure, I'd worry about hanging on to a Horus during DLG.

I'd like to have a good look at that Taranis X7 too.

24/01/2017 19:24:58
Posted by john stones 1 on 24/01/2017 17:52:38:

Rubbishing the Taranis now are we surprise you'll be saying next "we got wot we paid for"face 1

John

No never, John. What we get with Taranis is far more than we paid for.

24/01/2017 17:41:01
Posted by MattyB on 24/01/2017 17:36:01:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 24/01/2017 15:42:40:

It's arrived. Did JCB have a hand in building it? The case alone feels as though it should withstand a nuclear blast. The transmitter certainly feels solid and the sticks seem to have stronger springs than the Taranis.

This is why I haven't jumped on one - when I picked it up it was just too big and heavy to be comfortable for a "thumber" such as myself. I don't doubt that it will suit some people down to the ground, but I do wonder if by releasing Hall effect gimbals at £20 each for the X9D and X7 Taranis' they have cannibalized the market for the Horus. The sticks are the only part of my Taranis I don't really like, so spending forty quid to fix that rather than >£500 is a no brainer.

I too had my reservations about the size and Weight, Matty. But for me at least, it was a perception thing. I'm now completely used to it. I fly thumbs with no strap and Horus now feels totally natural. In fact now I'm used to that, Taranis feels very light and toy like..

24/01/2017 17:36:39
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 24/01/2017 15:42:40:

It's arrived. Did JCB have a hand in building it? The case alone feels as though it should withstand a nuclear blast. The transmitter certainly feels solid and the sticks seem to have stronger springs than the Taranis. I've got Companion 2.2 loaded and set up so that I can back up the firmware ok. Before going to OpenTx I think I'll have a play with the supplied OS, so far it seems a bit clumsy going back to a menu driven system.

I agree with all of that Bob. I think the menu system will suit a good few folk who don't want to take the leap into OpenTx.

I like the spring tension, but it is adjustable without taking the case apart.

Oh yes, have a play with the tilt sensors and GPS, because you can't use those in OpenTx.

Thread: Failsafes, January article
24/01/2017 08:10:36
I seem to remember some Spektrum receivers having something called "Smartsafe"

This has 2 quite different actions.

1) when Rx is turned on but is still establishing connection to TX (or TX is off) all channels go to positions set when binding.

2) When signal is lost, Throttle goes to pre set, all others hold.

This is why Spektrum always recommended re-binding after surfaces have all been set up and centred. It also helps keep things like retracts where you want them during switch on, etc.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 24/01/2017 08:11:39

23/01/2017 23:56:55
ChrisB, the autolevel continuously autolevels the model both in roll and pitch.
I agree that if the attitude it holds causes speed to bleed off then it might stall, and probably do a series of stalls. I will try it soon by setting autolevels and cutting the motor.
But you can set the pitch angle it holds. So say it's a glider, set at a pitch angle that gives a slow gentle glide.
Is Mr Bodfington right that we should get the model down quick, within our flying boundary. Rather than let it sail on to a location unknown.
23/01/2017 23:17:22
I have a combined Rx/Stabiliser that can be set so failsafe is Thr cut and self level.
This will right a model from any attitude.
So what are folks feelings on that? Could it be a bad thing if a model flies a long way in a straight line?

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 23/01/2017 23:17:46

23/01/2017 23:09:29
Bob you don't need the cards until you fancy switching to OpenTx.
There's plenty of "playing" you can do in the FrSky system.

If/when you do switch, one card will do. They suggest you do a backup to the other then keep it in a drawer. It's just as valid to backup to a PC, I'd have thought.
Thread: Binding and updating
23/01/2017 13:18:08

I'm sure Graham already knows but I would just qualify the above with the fact that it only applies to X Series receivers.

23/01/2017 00:00:21
I'm not sure I do agree with the logic Matty.
Graham could have either RF firmware on his Tx or possibly even an in between one.
To enable D8 he simply had to have "EU" unchecked when he downloaded OpenTx in Companion.

If it were me, I'd probably bite the bullet and resign myself to flashing TX and all Rxs to a known version. EU-LBT probably, to ensure any new receivers would work.
22/01/2017 20:42:39
I'm beginning to agree.
Have you tried with a metre or two between TX and Rx?
22/01/2017 20:20:52

Hi Graham. This is so frustrating isn't it?

So you've tried both the none EU and the EU LBT versions and neither bind.
Just to check, you are binding in D16 mode aren't you?

I just thought there is a different way to bind this. It's not the proper answer but it might just suit you.

Do you have the little jumper connectors that came with it?
If you push on a jumper, connecting the signal pins together of Ch5 and Ch6. Then connect the Rx battery - that puts it in D8 bind mode. (No need to push the bind button this time).

Then you set the Tx to D8 mode and go into bind on the Tx and they should work together that way.

Thread: Back to RC Aircraft after 20yrs.
22/01/2017 19:40:51
Have a look at the Max Thrust Riot, Tom.
That might suit you.
22/01/2017 13:02:47
Did it turn up yet, Bob?
Thread: Back to RC Aircraft after 20yrs.
21/01/2017 21:07:13
Tom well done for getting so far. I think there's just some successful stick time between where you are now and getting back up to your previous skill levels.
I think you've shown exactly why a little help would er.. help at this time. You know exactly what you should be doing but it's not automatic just yet.
Is there a club near you that does trial flights? Ideally with their own training aircraft?

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 21/01/2017 21:08:15

Thread: Confessions of a Bodger
21/01/2017 20:32:21
I think of us more as "fitters".
When I started work, at an company that made bespoke production line machinery, top of the tree in the engineering workshop were the fitters. Tasked with making what the fabricators had made and making it fit, the fitters put machines together and made the m work.
Thread: Waltron Radio gear
21/01/2017 18:45:43

Here's mine.

img_3788.jpg

Now converted to 2.4Ghz for use with vintage models, but boy are those gimbals poor, these days!

Thread: Foster Wickner Wicko/Warferry
20/01/2017 23:29:52

How's the title now, Colin? Have I got that right?

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Slec
Overlander
Advertise With Us
CML
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?
Q: Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?

Dad
 Mum
 Partner
 Son
 Daughter
 Grandson
 Granddaughter
 Friends
 Other
 No-one else

Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues