By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Bott - Moderator

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Bott - Moderator has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: my new full range 16 channel Rx is a bit big!
21/10/2017 12:28:07
I can vouch for Mike's decoder, it works well. As do a number of different commercial units available.

In this application though, flight1 is using this much like a Spektrum satellite Rx. His main Rx has 8 servo ports and also a "redundancy" port. With this tiny Rx connected to the redundancy port.

I believe that the tiny one is also designed to plug straight into a quad flight controller with a single cable. A much neater solution than using individual channel cables.
Thread: Prop Fixing
13/10/2017 18:15:27
David you need to increase the friction between the rear of the prop hub and the front face of the prop driver.

I've managed to do this sometimes just by scoring the surface of the prop hub by rubbing a flat file across it.

If this doesn't work, I've also had success by glueing a disk of sandpaper to one of the surfaces.
Thread: Loss of radio connection on third flight.
10/10/2017 08:13:36
Another possibility that I can think of is maybe the failsafe had been activated, but had inadvertently been set to full throttle. If so, an RF failure from the Tx would cause the seen symptoms.
10/10/2017 08:10:04
If the motor stayed on full throttle and failsafe had been checked beforehand that it cut the motor, then I'd suggest that the Rx continued to receive a signal and that the ESC was working as commanded by the Rx.

This then suggests a Tx fault. As if the stick positions were not getting through to the RF stage but the RF kept transmitting.
Thread: What has happened to Traplet?
08/10/2017 20:50:00
Just try the word Traplet in the search box above.

There's plenty of threads already on exactly this subject.
Thread: Plumbing help
03/10/2017 22:29:53

FB3 Did the flow reduce when the new tap was installed, or has it got worse since?

When we moved into a new place the kitchen tap flow was really low. We had a header tank in the loft of the bungalow so the head was only about 3 metres.

Have a look at this. . ***LINK***

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 03/10/2017 22:35:09

Thread: Log In Problems
28/09/2017 20:45:01
Bob go to "Settings"
(top left) then "My account"
Thread: September 2017 Lipometer
24/09/2017 17:59:11
The RCM&E unit measures lipo current and constantly calculates mAh used.

You pre-set a particular value and when that value is reached it lights a very bright LED that's mounted on the model. It's that simple.
Thread: 2 position flaps
19/09/2017 18:08:34
I'd go for 3 position flaps.
I'd set a switch to give a very standard -100-0-+100.
Then set the linkage mechanically so 0 (servo centre) is half flap.
Next wind the endpoints down low before powering everything on.
Finally wind each endpoint back up to set flaps up and flaps down positions.
One mix, no curves.
Thread: Caption competition!
19/09/2017 17:43:44
That's clever - using your satnav screen for FPV!
Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
18/09/2017 08:27:10
Hi Martyn.
I think I'd be clutching at straws like a loose battery changing the C/G or a flexing tailplane changing incidence, that sort of thing.

Could there be a possibility outside the radio?

or maybe a poor servo connection, wiring moving as attitude changed or with g forces.

Either that, or I'd be wary of using the Tx again, rather than the Rx.
Were all other controls working OK?
Thread: Telemetry - do you use it? What do you think of it?
10/09/2017 10:00:25
Expensive at the moment but telemetry servos already exist.

Quote:-

Hacker Ditex TD0606M Telemetry HV Servo a new product from Hacker Brushless Motors with metal case and coreless motor, featuring telemetry feedback of position, load and current draw.
The TD0606M is our current smallest servo in the DITEX-series. This allrounder in the Micro Class has all outstanding, innovative features of hacker DITEX servos.
08/09/2017 15:31:01
I've got so used to telemetry I feel something's missing if I fly without it. Frsky's Rx level and Rx battery monitoring are in every Rx. I have lipo current/volts monitoring in most models so always know how many mAh it's used and get warnings if pack volts get low.
I fly with plenty of confidence about my batteries.
Thread: Schiffermuller 72" the plan
04/09/2017 17:59:35
Hi Lumir and welcome to the forum.

I believe that sarikhobbies.com will soon be selling the old myhobbystores plans soon. Check out the announcement on their homepage.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 04/09/2017 17:59:54

Thread: Charging low dischrge NiMh batterries.
02/09/2017 09:45:27
I'd suggest a good read of eneloop101.com

Here's a cut and paste from their "charging" page:-

Is slow charging better than fast charging?

I think this is a very common mistake people make. They think that slow charging will result in longer cycle life. This is not true just by itself! They put their eneloop Pros in a time based charger and think they are treating their batteries nicely. Wrong.

Please look at the Tests Page for the 5000 cycles test. It is not mainly about the charge current but when the charge stops. Charging at a slow current can actually be more problematic when the charger can not detect whether a battery is full. At a higher charge rate it is easier for the charger to detect a Voltage drop and Temperature increase and therefore knows when to stop charging. These 2 checks can be missed when the batteries are charged at low current!
02/09/2017 09:41:09
The most important thing about charging nimhs is that the charge it terminated when the cells are full.

Many dedicated NiMh chargers not only detect a voltage peak, they also sense temperature and stop if the cells start to warm.

If your batteries are getting hot then for whatever reason, they are being overcharged.
02/09/2017 08:47:35
I would not necessarily recommend the low charge rate. It was wise for NiCads as they were perfectly happy to absorb any overcharging. So it didn't matter what the discharge state was when charging commenced. They could just be left on charge say overnight.
Nimhs are more fussy, a delta peak charger is recommended and the lower the charge rate, the less likely that the "battery full" peak will be detected.
Eneloops are fine being charged at 1C. This rate gives the best chance of stopping at the right time.
Thread: Danny's "poor mans Spitty"
26/08/2017 22:36:32
Martyn I believe each pilot has three flights and chooses two to be marked. That's it.
26/08/2017 18:11:37
Barkston update. Danny's Chippy has flown in competition and he flew really well.
Sorry I can't add any photos but I do have a good few.
Further updates tomorrow, maybe.
Thread: Airborne Data Logging
25/08/2017 13:15:00
My experience echoes Gordon's very closely. Results from the eagle tree helped massively in understanding what was going on in flight.
But now, I log telemetry data using FrSky gear. Watts, volts, amps & mAh are dead easy to log. Along with revs temperatures,height, speed, GPS position and G forces if you wish (and have the sensors). Oh and any stick and switch positions can be logged too, if that would also help.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Overlander
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
SHREK
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues