By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Bott - Moderator

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Bott - Moderator has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Taranis question
26/04/2017 21:42:11

I prefer what used to be called a sticky throttle cut. A toggle switch programmed so that when switched to "cut", it instantly cuts the motor. But when switched to "arm" it won't arm unless/until Thr is at -100.

I also set it up so that if the switch gets knocked as I put the Tx down, it knocks it to the cut position.

Thread: Burrough Hill, Leicestershire
26/04/2017 08:52:35

Fixed, DaveyP thumbs up

Thread: X8R calibration
26/04/2017 08:49:37

To calibrate I would use a servo lead cut off a failed servo, or maybe tap into a spare extension lead. Plug this into a spare channel on the Rx as mentioned above.

Using that lead, measure with the external voltmeter at the same time as checking the voltage reading on the Tx. Only then are you comparing like with like.

If you do need to alter things on the Tx, then in the MDL setup area go to the telemetry page, scroll down to RxBt and edit that. The ratio setting (default 13.2) will change the reading (That you can see on the top bar while you do this).

Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
24/04/2017 21:06:46
No problem at all. Maybe we should have an OpenTx challenge thread?
24/04/2017 13:17:41

Hi Devcon

A timer can be started and stopped by a logical switch.

So you could set up a couple of logical switches like this:-

L1 - Make L1 active when Thr channel (not Thr input) is less than -99.

L2 - Make L2 an AND function of L1 and whatever switch position de-activates your Thr cut.

Then use L2 to start and stop the timer.

EDIT:-
In fact that can all be done in one logical switch.. 
Select the following in each column

a<x, Ch1 (or whatever your Thr ch is), -99, AND - whatever de-cativates your Thr cut.

Then select that Logical switch as the timer source.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 24/04/2017 13:25:05

18/04/2017 09:59:30
I do understand your reasoning Peter.

I was just trying to point out that there is a good reason to put them in inputs.

I'll see if I can dig out the actual scenario. It certainly had me scratching my head.
I then had a most unoquivocal answer in the developers chat room that inputs was most definitely the place to do it.
18/04/2017 09:32:11
Peter that's a good thing to warn us all about.

However I'm pretty certain that it is also best practice to apply rates and expo at the inputs page.

I'd did get into an uneplained problem myself by putting rates in the mixer page. Moving them to inputs cured it and chats with the developers confirmed that inputs is the place to do them

(Of course age related memory loss means I can't recall the exact issue).

But it is important. Rates and expo should always be done at the inputs stage.
Thread: Ripmax ARTF Wots Wot
15/04/2017 22:20:25
Posted by Jim Purcha on 15/04/2017 13:30:30:

What brand of covering is used on the Ripmax Wots Wot ARF?

thanks

Jim

Whatever it is the yellow underside of my fus and tailplane is a poor quality film that wrinkles whatever I try to do to shrink it back out.

Thankfully the underside of the wing doesn't suffer the same.

Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
14/04/2017 21:48:17
That sounds about right for stabilisation mode Ian. They should quickly go back to centre.
Self level is very different. As soon as the Rx is off level, surfaces deflect and stay deflected until you bring it back to level.
14/04/2017 16:07:42
Hi Ian.
More a slip of the mind than the keyboard. Ch9 is the gain channel isn't it?
You're right, Ch12 hasn't changed.
Yes, the blue led should do the same when activated from the Tx, as it does when activated from the bind button on the Rx.
14/04/2017 13:48:51
Hi Ian
There are a number of things to address here.
S6R firmware versions - I believe that the latest (beta) version has had extra vibration damping added to help cope with conditions in petrol models. The truth is though, that we never really know the differences, we just see the cryptic descriptions on the download page.

Self test was changed so that you now need to operate the Tx switch three times in quick succession. IIRC Ch9 has to move from zero to 100 three times (rather than from -100 to 100) So that needs setting up in the Tx.

Next, the blue led shows it going through its self checks and it saving the model attitude that it will try to regain during self level, so you need the model set level.

When the blue led goes off and the surfaces do a waggle, you need to move all controls to their extremes. This is when it learns what full deflection is for this model. If you don't, then servos won't move next time.

Thankfully this self test is not required again unless something in the model is changed.
12/04/2017 11:13:19
Ian, what transmitter will you be using with the S6R? Some will do the update direct, with a cable between the two. If the have the right firmware version of course.
11/04/2017 22:26:01

Try with this link, Ian. There's a few tools there.

Thread: Electric retracts
07/04/2017 08:08:41
Hi Graeme yes I've put my hand under them a few times. They continue to push for about 5 seconds and then they switch off. Stall current measures at about 2A during that period.
Thread: Phoenix 2000
01/04/2017 11:12:07

Have a look at electricwingman's prop adapters here, or indeed many other outlets.

You just need an accurate measurement of the shaft diameter. i.e. is it 3mm or 3.2mm? (or 4 or more mm, obviously)

Thread: Indoor Scale R/C entry Piper Super Cub PA-18
28/03/2017 15:33:08
Excellent news on the Gold prize Danny. Well done indeed!
Thread: Sbus Receivers
24/03/2017 19:42:51
Posted by Max Z on 24/03/2017 17:12:22:

Hi Chris,

I'm interested, but for a different project I am developing. My project is based on the MiniPro as shown in the foreground, but I am not keen in soldering all the servo pins/connections. Hence the question, is the larger board a commercially available Arduino(clone) board?

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 24/03/2017 17:36:46

Hi Max yes I found it on Ebay. Can't remember quite where from but This looks the same

24/03/2017 13:53:19
Posted by Mike Blandford on 24/03/2017 13:20:29:

If you are in to using Arduinos, you may be interested in this: **LINK**.

It takes the SBUS signal and provides 16 individual servo outputs. It includes options to swap the outputs of channels 1-8 and 9-16, and another to change to 8 channel only mode but with a servo update rate of 9mS for digital servos.

Mike.

They work too - Mike's S.Bus decoders.

Here's a couple I made. A 16ch version and an 8ch one.

1-img_20170324_133414.jpg

Thread: Mystery kits from Leicestershire 1980s
23/03/2017 21:30:06

Hi Roo and welcome to the forum, I can't help at all but hopefully someone will b e along who can.

Thread: low amplitude ppm out on Futaba Transmitter
18/03/2017 12:22:09
I wish I'd mentioned that earlier, haha.

Good news, well done David.
Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
CML
Skip Model April
SHREK
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
Q: How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?

5 to 10
 10+
 15+
 20+

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us