By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Richard Harris

Here is a list of all the postings Richard Harris has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cruiser, November 2015 Free Pull out plan
11/12/2017 17:28:41

Taking full advantage of the near perfect flying conditions over the weekend I decided to fit a set of skis to my enlarged Cruiser which has flown well all season on a 60" span two blade set up in pretty much all flying conditions.

Saturday saw an inch or so of the white stuff here in the West Midlands and managed to grab an hour in the afternoon to take her out and flatten a few Lipos. There was only me at the field but I enjoyed every minute. I took a few snaps and some video footage but it wasnt until I played the video back that I realised my daughter who can now pick up and play with pretty much anything shes not supposed to had obviously been playing with my phone as the camera lens had little finger prints all over it!. These caused a blur to the right hand side but I uploaded it any way. Unfortunately I couldn't get back to the field on Sunday due to more snow.

Good fun, enjoy

Rich

img_9382.jpg

Thread: Panther Trainer Autogyro
19/11/2017 16:12:07

I received an email during the week from a gent called John over the pond in New Jersey,USA. John has just completed his Panther and has modified it by adding a stub wing to help him with orientation. Though not flown as yet I thought it was more than worthy of a post as he has made a cracking job.

Its great to see these models still being built, I will hopefully get a full flight report back in the coming months.

p1050668.jpg

p1050671.jpg

p1050674.jpg

Rich

Thread: My Spektrum DX9 transmitter has stopped working.
06/11/2017 21:29:05

Gents, Unfortantely after a couple of years trouble free use my DX6 (black edition) has developed a fault in that after maybe 2-3 minutes I loose signal. I have now lost 4 different models which 'freeze' on the inputs being used at the time until terra firma gets in the way. The transmitter (up until now) has been really good, so much so that I have got quite a number of spectrum receivers that I don't really want to get rid of. As its just a simple transmitter I am unsure whether the cost is worth sending it over to Germany as it may be  just as cheap to buy new. That said Percy mentions a Mr Riley a few posts up, is he able to repair Spektrum stuff or is there anywhere else within the UK that could help?

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 06/11/2017 21:30:24

Thread: 'Bitty' multi purpose micro glider
06/11/2017 21:18:16

Paul,

Sorry for the delay in replying, my internet/ aeromodelling time is limited at the moment due to the pitter patter of tiny feet.

Thanks for taking the time to make a video of your 'Srappy' in action and glad the boys at your club are having a blast, just goes to show you can have just as much fun with minimal outlay models which is what Bitty is all about.

Your release cradle is pretty impressive too, I am curious as to what radio you installed in your Scrappy?

Rich

Thread: Autogyro Get togethers
17/09/2017 19:35:00

Nice to meet you today Rob, here are a few photos I took. Videos to follow20150101_004620.jpg20170917_163034-1.jpg20170917_162240.jpg20170917_162218.jpg20150101_034806.jpg20150101_004632.jpg20170917_162946.jpg

20170917_163036.jpg

08/08/2017 09:35:42

Hi Celab and welcome to the forum smile

Before you go spending good money on blades that may not be suitable please link us to what you are looking at?

The blades and their aerofoil are key to making the Panther successful in the air, any deviations could be expensive.

Try to steer clear of helicopter blades as these will just not work.

Despite what you may think about making blades they really aren't hard to put together. we can guide you through the process step by step if it helps?

Rich

Thread: Cruiser flight problem
19/07/2017 22:42:19

Denis,

Cruiser was a free pull out plan a few years ago, here is a photo of my enlarged version which I have been using as a test bed for a two blade set up with suprisingly good results over the last month or two.

fb_20170719_22_19_43_saved_picture.jpg

Paul,

Welcome to the forum, what you are explaining could be a number of things. But, if you have stuck to the plan and all angles and dangles are correct it has to be the blades as this is really the only thing that could differ. My thoughts are the same as Steve's, try adding a small amount of shim to the blades. It sounds like you are getting too much lift and when you get to a certain power level the down thrust is over coming the drag/ lift from the blades.

The extra shim will kill a bit of lift from the blades which will bring the nose back in tow. I would had slithers of tape and test inbetween until you hit the sweet spot. If you have experience on the Atom then the Crusier will cause you no problems once set up, its my favourite flying autogyro to date.

Let us know how it goes?

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 19/07/2017 22:45:36

06/07/2017 22:59:48

Leif,

Very well finished Panthers, I have always liked Ian's yellow and blue scheme so a good choice there thumbs up

Don,

I have managed to upload a few photos via my phone, I have added these elsewhere so I hope you don't mind me posting them? Kind of gives the feel of our annual meet, great helpful bunch they are!

You may have more left and up trim probably due to the weight but it flies, and flies extremely well smile

fb_20170706_20_28_33_saved_picture.jpg

fb_20170706_20_28_43_saved_picture.jpg

fb_20170706_20_28_54_saved_picture.jpg

fb_20170706_20_29_17_saved_picture.jpg

Rich

06/07/2017 00:11:42

Don,

It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife and great to see your Panther take to the skies. I did take a number of photos but am struggling to upload photos onto this site of late.

I have managed one

img_8717.jpg

Same place next year I hope, it will be our 10th Annual meet

Rich

Thread: 'Bitty' multi purpose micro glider
08/06/2017 10:06:39

Kester,

Very nicely finished adaption of 'Bitty' thumbs up, looking forward to a full flight report when the weather allows wink 2

Rich

Thread: The Atom Special
06/06/2017 17:32:54

Rob,

If you have never built a model before you need to give yourself a pat on the back, your build block is excellent too.

Not wanting to put a dampener on things it reads to me ( and please correct me if I'm wrong?) that you have never flown any kind of RC flying machine? If this is correct I would strongly advise to pop to your local flying club and get advice on learning how to fly before even contemplating on going out alone. If you have no flight experience it will end in tears.

You are of course always welcome to bring your creation along to one of our autogyro Fly-Ins through the year to which we would happily get it in the air and trimmed for you and at least guide you on the directions you can take. There is a separate thread listed in the autogyro section with dates, we are about 3-4 weeks away from our main get together, the info should be printed in the next issue of RCM&E if you are interested in popping along?

Rich

Thread: Release system
30/05/2017 22:47:35

Michael,

If you get chance have a look at my thread HERE on this very forum, it is a primitive but perfectly functional method that has given many hours of service for next to nothing. There is also a video I made of it working and releasing.

img_0486.jpg

img_0492.jpg

img_0080.jpg

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 30/05/2017 22:48:19

03/05/2017 12:46:51

Paul,

It's videos like that which make all the effort that goes into these published desgns worthwhile, personally it keeps my drive maintained to keep putting pencil to paper, thanks for taking the time to make a video thumbs up its very much appreciated.

Rich

Thread: Aeromodellers or model flyers?
03/05/2017 12:40:11

Does it really matter how we are categorised? In my eyes we are all into minature flying machines in some form or another, as long as we enjoy what ever we do then that is what counts surely?

Rich

02/04/2017 23:15:58

Martin,

Nicely finished Atom thumbs up, I have added a picture to the Atom gallery HERE , I hope you don't mind?

Rich

28/03/2017 22:50:21

Hi Leif,

Glad to hear you are making a start on a Panther. Yes, the model should balance horizontally from the point shown on the drawings. You can get away with a little nose down attitude but not the tail down.

Let us know how you progress?

Rich

27/03/2017 22:51:25

Martin,

Great stuff thumbs up, looking forward to seeing the video of your Atom flying

Rich

Thread: The Hobbit autogyro
16/03/2017 23:17:58

Jesus,

I really like the Air mail Kellet, is it your own design? Is the PCA-2 built off the Dave Surace plan?

Rich

13/03/2017 20:22:01

Don,

I 100% agree with Trevor, orientation can get the better of all of us. Those RPM figures are pretty impressive, in fact, are getting close jump take off speeds which is something that I have always wanted to try. Something like this:

Don't forget, we have several get togethers during the year, I'm not sure where abouts you are in the UK ?but there is bound to be one within driving distance. You'd be more than welcome, gyronuts are a decent bunch, always willing to share their experiences to help like minded folk thumbs up
Rich

13/03/2017 20:03:11

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum,

The angle of the blade roots are 15 degrees, it is not essential but does help with spin up also. As the blade is pushed up it does so hinging on this 15 degree angle, this pushes the TE edge up further than the LE inducing negative incidence to the blade. This seems to work better at lower RPM as the blade accelerates, then centrifugal force flattens out the blade disc as it goes into full auto rotation.

If you can pop a few photos of your build as you progress?

Rich

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues