By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Privett

Here is a list of all the postings John Privett has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: servo grommets
26/04/2017 21:32:46

David, your i/c flying, well-regarded competitor friend is correct.

The brass ferrules are inserted from below so the wide, flat bit sits on the wooden bearer and the servo screw meets the 'sharp' end of the ferrule. But way, way, too many fit them the wrong way!

Thread: drone footage
23/04/2017 10:49:26

Oh dear! Almost all are being flown in places that are either 'inappropriate' (over buildings/congested areas) or inadvisable (over water with a low battery, in dense trees looking where you've been, not where you're going!)

The one at 2:10, I suspect, has gone into "return to home" fail-safe mode. The signal has been lost, largely due to the huge rock between it and the transmitter, so it goes off on a GPS-guided route back to home. Straight through the huge rock that caused the fail-safe to trigger in the first place. D'Oh!

I guess most got what they deserved...

Thread: A new possible scam
18/04/2017 19:31:44

Not one that I've heard of Peter - but that certainly doesn't mean it's legit!

This is where it's useful if you can allocate a different email address to every company you deal with - having your own domain name helps with this. So if I got an email claiming to be from banggood, but sent to (for instance) 'halfords@<mydomainname>" then I'd be 100% sure it was dodgy.

If by, "There is no direct address at the start of the message" you mean it doesn't start with "Dear Peter" or "Dear Mr. Miller", but instead says "Dear customer" or somesuch, then that is a definite red-flag.

Thread: Irresponsible ' drone' retailers
17/04/2017 19:19:21
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 17/04/2017 18:44:40:

...but I do think it a shame that the model flying fraternity have been lumped together with the drone flying brigade by classifying both aircraft as UAVs. This to me seems a bit random as I feel different rules should apply if the aircraft carries a camera.

Piers - different laws do already apply if the aircraft carries a camera. See the text of ANO Article 95;

(1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the
aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in
accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.

(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:

(a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;

(b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than
1,000 persons;

(c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the
control of the person in charge of the aircraft;
or
(d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.

(3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned
surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.

(4) Paragraphs (2)(d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small
unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in
charge of the aircraft.

(5) In this article 'a small unmanned surveillance aircraft' means a small unmanned
aircraft which is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data
acquisition.

The above - and particularly 2(c) and (d) and 3 would appear to me to make most "drone" flying in a lot of public places difficult to achieve legally.

Edited By John Privett on 17/04/2017 19:20:04

Thread: Fantasy Formula 1
16/04/2017 21:14:54

Already done them John! I probably will change them later. I'm not going to be allowed to forget this blunder, am I! embarrassed

16/04/2017 20:54:34

At the top of the Championship table bigbubba maintains his lead from Iqon. Pete B is moving upwards, and has now reached third, only one point behind Iqon. Meanwhile, my rapid descent down the table continues!

Here is the current table;

Championship Standings

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 Bernies Big Brown Envelope serepton PRO 437
2 iqon racing iqon racing 406
3 Revers Racing Pete B 405
4 Pitts Specials john stones 387
5 VBT Racing Yorik 385
6 FalconFormulaOne Tony Hamer 375
7 Slopeflyers F1 jimbo32010 359
8 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 356
9 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 353
10 Team Webby Racing Simon Webb 351
11 AnyoneSeenBernie johnpflyrc 331
12 Mannschaft Carl Brotherton 328
13 Essex Racing Tony Clark 325
14 Flying Eagles Gary Goodfellow 325
15 teewrex John Tee 212

Next up is Russia in two weeks time, and following this weekend's tactical blunder I'm off to put some predictions in place now!

16/04/2017 20:47:54

Right then, the results are in and here is how we scored today;

Results from Bahrain

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 FalconFormulaOne Tony Hamer 155
2 VBT Racing Yorik 145
3 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 145
4 Revers Racing Pete B 144
5 Pitts Specials john stones 144
6 iqon racing iqon racing 134
7 Bernies Big Brown Envelope serepton PRO 132
8 Essex Racing Tony Clark 131
9 Slopeflyers F1 jimbo32010 111
10 Flying Eagles Gary Goodfellow 105
11 Mannschaft Carl Brotherton 104
12 Team Webby Racing Simon Webb 86
13 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 86
14 AnyoneSeenBernie johnpflyrc 82
15 teewrex John Tee 77

Topping today's results is Tony with 155 points, whilst Yorik (not sure who Yorik is!) and Charles tie for 2nd with 145. Very closely following, tieing for 4th are Pete and John Stones, with the rest of us trailing along behind. Some of us (guilty as charged!) a long way behind!

Well done Tony! So let's see (in the next post) how that affects the championship table.

Thread: More4 film in Jersey.
16/04/2017 14:01:51

Are you outside the UK Chris? Or connecting in such a way (eg. via an overseas proxy) that it appears as if you are?

Thread: Has something been changed on web site?
16/04/2017 13:56:46

Very good point, Martin! You should assume that the password you use on here is public-knowledge - and the same for any other site you logon to without using https. OK, that sounds a bit dramatic, but it's better to assume that than not to!

Another aspect is of course, how different sites store your password. Really it shouldn't be stored at all, but the result of a complex calculation should be stored instead. (Complex so it can't - without a huge amount of time and computing power - be reversed.) Then when you login the same calculation should be performed and the results compared. So, if the sites user data was to 'leak out' there's still a lot of work for the "bad guys" to do to make it useful.  Of course, we don't know what different sites do, thoug we can generally expect bank sites, shopping sites etc. to do it properly...

But really - DO use unique login details on any site that could you significant loss.

As for clearing the cache, that's not going to change Mannyroad's message. Firefox (below)

capture1.jpg

and Chrome (below)

capture2.jpg

are correctly advising you that you are sending a password (I guess they're 'seeing' the asterisk'd field) over an insecure protocol and that you should consider whether or not this is sensible. It's what we've all being doing for years here, and in many other places with 'low-grade' logins, but wouldn't dream of doing on a bank or shopping website (I hope!)

Edited By John Privett on 16/04/2017 13:59:02

16/04/2017 11:34:08

No idea about the pictures issue - last time I tried it worked fine.

As for the 'insecure' warning, this is probably Firefox and Chrome getting a bit more proactive on warning when people enter login details on sites that don't use https (encyption).

Ideally every site that you login to should use https, as otherwise your login details, including password, are potentially available for others to find. Obviously on a site that matters - Internet Banking, buying stuff from Amazon, etc. etc. that is rather important. But on a model flying forum you could argue that it doesn't matter so much.

What's the worst that could happen on here? Somebody logs-in as you, changes your password and locks you out, then posts a few messages and it takes you a while to get it all back again... Not quite as bad as finding your life savings have been sent to an anonymous account in Russia or somebody's been buying lots of stuff using your stored payment details...

15/04/2017 17:05:44

OK - well I wouldn't have got the pole prediction right... Lewis doesn't look too unhappy about it though.

15/04/2017 16:08:31

Oops... it's "get your excuses in early" time for me. Spectacular own-goal, after reminding you all to do your predictions, I thought I'd done mine, but seconds before qualifying started thought I'd better check. And NO - no predictions. A frantic scrabble ensued to put "something" in place, but I was just too late - ERROR, race w/end in progress. embarrassed Oh dear... (or other words I can't mention here!)

Anyway, looks very open, so maybe my predictions (and all of yours?) would have been wrong anyway?

Thread: More4 film in Jersey.
14/04/2017 14:17:48

Stephen - the joys of owning your own domain name are that you can use a customised, unique email address for every organisation you deal with. I think I registered with channel 4 some time ago, so wasn't asked again for my details. I probably "accidentally" gave them age/gender details that might not have totally correct when I registered...

One thing I find even dafter is those sites that insist you answer some random "survey" questions before you can access the site. Goodness-knows what the results they get are like, I'm sure I'm not the only person who simply selects the first option (no matter how wrong it is) to every question!

Anyway, back to the original subject! The flying bit starts at around 22:00 into the programme for anyone who decides to watch.

14/04/2017 13:04:28

Well at least you tried Simon. Sadly the 'media' are not noted for their ability to comprehend and accurately present anything "technical"...

Looks like this is a link to the prog. (Valid for next 29 days)

[Edit] Just trying to fast-forward through it to find the relevant bit - it's a bit of a pain that they force you to watch wait whilst the adverts play before you can fast-forward through the next bit.  Still 2:20 of ads before I can see part 2!

Edited By John Privett on 14/04/2017 13:07:38

14/04/2017 12:51:14

Customary reminder time (if a little earlier than normal!)

Don't forget your predictions!

Put in a "banker set" set now, and you can change them if you want after the practice sessions later today and tomorrow - just make sure any changes are in place before qualifying starts at 4pm on Saturday.

Looks like channel 4 are doing live coverage this weekend.

Looking ahead to Monaco, it appears the speculation was correct, and Jenson Button will be back for one race whilst Alonso heads off to the US to drive in the Indianapolis 500.

Now, go and do those predictions. And that includes you, Tony... wink 2

10/04/2017 21:51:16
Posted by bigbubba on 10/04/2017 11:44:03:

...using £75m (£74m actually) as my budget.

Clearly that's where I'm going wrong as I'm using the full £75million. Nothing to do with my bad judgement etc! teeth 2

And thanks for confirming your team status. thumbs up

09/04/2017 21:03:44

Tony, Tony, Tony...

How many times do I have to remind you all? face 20

Go and do your Bahrain predictions. Now! teeth 2

09/04/2017 19:22:54

Looking at the overall table after today I see that my time at the top was - as expected - short-lived! Bigbubba moves to top spot, though icon is top non-pro entrant in the league. Kev and Simon bring up the next two places.

Championship Standings

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 Bernies Big Brown Envelope serepton PRO 305
2 iqon racing iqon racing 272
3 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 267
4 Team Webby Racing Simon Webb 265
5 Revers Racing Pete B 261
6 AnyoneSeenBernie johnpflyrc 249
7 Slopeflyers F1 jimbo32010 248
8 Pitts Specials john stones 243
9 VBT Racing Yorik 240
10 Mannschaft Carl Brotherton 224
11 FalconFormulaOne Tony Hamer 220
12 Flying Eagles Gary Goodfellow 220
13 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 211
14 Essex Racing Tony Clark 194
15 teewrex John Tee 135

A good race today, I thought. Mercedes can perhaps consider themselves fortunate that Ferrari made what turned out to be the wrong decision on Vettel's pit stop, otherwise it would have been a lot closer.

Bahrain next weekend, at a rather more sociable hour of the day. Why not do your predictions now - you can change them again later if you want - though I changed my original predictions for China just before qualifying, based on the P3 times, and then wished I hadn't!

09/04/2017 19:21:58

I'm just back from an afternoon's slope flying, so without any further ado, here are our league members' scores from today's race in China;

Results from China

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 Bernies Big Brown Envelope serepton PRO 170
2 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 164
3 Team Webby Racing Simon Webb 161
4 VBT Racing Yorik 153
5 iqon racing iqon racing 145
6 Pitts Specials john stones 142
7 Slopeflyers F1 jimbo32010 136
8 Revers Racing Pete B 135
9 Mannschaft Carl Brotherton 132
10 AnyoneSeenBernie johnpflyrc 110
11 Flying Eagles Gary Goodfellow 103
12 FalconFormulaOne Tony Hamer 98
13 teewrex John Tee 82
14 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 82
15 Essex Racing Tony Clark 72

Topping the board today is bigbubba's team with 170 points. Kev's Norfolk Flyers and Simon's Team Webby Racing were close behind with 164 and 161 points respectively. I note that biggbubba has 'pro' membership - perhaps you could confirm whether or not you are using the additional £5 million team budget?

Thread: On line banking log in
07/04/2017 21:51:26

The same reader is also used by NatWest - and probably other organisations as well.

It's an industry-standard reader, and is not 'locked' to a particular account, or even to Nationwide. You can (and the Nationwide FAQs specifically state this) use a reader of the same type supplied by another bank, or use your Nationwide reader with another bank or use a Nationwide card reader belonging to somebody else. So no worries about getting the card readers mixed-up!

[Edit]  Ah - onetenor got there before me!

Edited By John Privett on 07/04/2017 21:52:10

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
SHREK
CML
Skip Model April
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
Q: How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?

5 to 10
 10+
 15+
 20+

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us