By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Privett

Here is a list of all the postings John Privett has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Where are they?
23/02/2017 22:07:01
Posted by ken anderson. on 21/02/2017 10:26:42:

that Carr fellow doesn't post much now neither...

I bet he'd post more often if a certain person could spell his name correctly occasionally... wink 2

Thread: SBUS SERVOS
23/02/2017 21:57:24

No problem Denis! Funnily enough I'd been looking at the FrSky SBUS offerings immediately before coming onto here this evening.

23/02/2017 21:17:29

I think you've missed the point Denis. SBUS servos are very different. All SBUS servos on an installation receive all the data for every channel, but are programmed to only respond to the channel that you select. So you program the throttle servo to respond to the throttle channel, the elevator servo to respond to the elevator channel etc. etc. The hubs are only a means of splitting the wiring to multiple servos. Conventional servos can also be used, but they need a decoder to read the SBUS signal and output on separate leads for the servos.

Have a look at the following videos for more.

Thread: Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?
19/02/2017 22:09:50

Well last weekend was a bit of a write-off, flying-wise, due to the weather. This weekend however has been much better.

Saturday saw sunny, calm(ish) conditions and a few of us were flying. Once again my gloves remained off for the whole of the afternoon. Today was not quite so good - rather overcast, but a half-decent turnout saw several of us flying. Again the gloves remained unused. I can't help feeling there's more cold weather waiting around the corner though!

Thread: Spot The Difference!
16/02/2017 21:23:15
Posted by john stones 1 on 16/02/2017 14:40:57:

Are you wearing different socks ?

I certainly hope so! teeth 2

Thread: Bmfa adds
16/02/2017 21:11:34
Posted by Denis Watkins on 16/02/2017 12:27:27:

Bankers drafts are supposed to be impregnable,

Well, not really...

If a bankers draft is a forgery or is stolen then it will bounce - just as a stolen or forged cheque would. The only advantage is that a (genuine) bankers draft will not bounce due to lack of funds, whereas a cheque might.

Edited By John Privett on 16/02/2017 21:12:01

Thread: Cambrian Akrostar
13/02/2017 22:19:39
Posted by Stuart Z on 13/02/2017 07:23:51:

Alternatively when you fly, keep up the flying speed particularly on the turn in to finals, where the plane will be most prone to an incipient spin. This would, I think be full size solution.

But don't forget, stalling is not just about speed - it's the angle of incidence that causes the stall.

And whilst you're most likely to get too high an angle of incidence (and stall) when pulling the stick back at low speed, pull back too much at high speed and you can still stall. That is how my Akrostar met its end...

Thread: Are the BMFA Mandatory Questions Applicable?
12/02/2017 17:20:42
Posted by CARPERFECT on 12/02/2017 15:32:12:

Question for Andy Symons. Does the BMFA still send out the hand Book to all new BMFA members ?

I can answer that - having just received my latest batch of BMFA memberships for new club members from the BMFA.

There are currently no copies available of the handbook in printed form as it is being revised for the next version. New members get a note from the BMFA as follows;

bmfahbooknote.jpg

I've been getting this note instead of the handbook for about the past year, maybe longer.

Thread: Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?
04/02/2017 17:40:34

First Saturday of February, and after a slightly damp morning, glorious weather this afternoon! Sunny, almost zero wind and warm, not as cold as it has been. I even left my hat and gloves in the car (not on purpose) but didn't need to go back and get them!

For some reason there were only two of us flying, though a third member turned up to watch for a while. I've no idea where everybody else was...

Thread: 1s Lipos - how to rig a balance-lead to fool charger?
04/02/2017 11:48:04

Jonathan - are you sure it won't start the charge without a balance lead connected? Maybe it needs a second button push to "confirm" that you want to charge?

Obviously the concept of balance-charging a single cell LiPo is nonsense. The manual only recommends not charging non-balanced batteries, it even goes on to explain how to do it;

WARNING! It is NOT recommended to charge a LiPo battery which is not wired for balancing. Such types of LiPo have NO means to protect the equipment or the user from damage that could result from an overcharge condition of any cell in the pack. NON-BALANCED packs are wired so the charger can only detect the voltage of the entire pack (not individual cells), so there is only one charge lead. It’s highly recommended to ONLY use such types of LiPo packs if they have a built-in charge safety circuit which prevents any single cell in the pack from being overcharged. Simply connect the battery’s main power lead to the charger’s banana jacks (noting correct polarity).

So, from a quick browse of the manual it should be possible without having to resort to silly tricks to fool the charger into balance charging!

[EDIT] There's also a link to an "alternative" manual on the Hobbyking page - this appears to be the same device with a different badge (Venom) The contents of the manual appear very similar though!

Edited By John Privett on 04/02/2017 11:51:24

Thread: **NEW POLL** - What's the main radio brand you use 2017?
04/02/2017 00:35:37

I've said it before, but I used to be a Futaba user - since about 1974. But I started using FrSky FASST-compatible receivers shortly after they became available and never had a problem with them. Now enjoying the versatility and telemetry of the Taranis.

One thing that always surprises me on these surveys is how popular (apparently) Spektrum is.  Where I fly hardly anybody uses Spektrum - I'm not at all sure why,  maybe one of our early adopters had a bad experience with them?

Edited By John Privett on 04/02/2017 00:38:28

Thread: On Line Passport renewal
02/02/2017 20:54:34

I recently did a passport renewal - the hard way...

It was the Wednesday before Christmas and we had a family ski trip arranged, departing from LHR at silly-o'clock in the morning on Tuesday 27th December. And then we suddenly thought we'd better check the expiry dates on our passports. And, oops.... my wife's passport had expired in August. embarrassed

Quick panic! Google was pressed into service and yes, you can renew passports in person (for an extra fee) but you need an appointment.

OK - let's get an appointment, London is the closest and they have an appointment free on Thursday 29th. Hmm, that's not much use! Where else? Well there's Belfast, Glasgow, Liverpool... Heck, anything a bit closer? How about Newport or Peterborough?

And so it was that I set off on Friday 23rd at 6.30am to drive up to Peterborough for a 10:30 appointment. Well I couldn't afford to be late, could I? And so on arrival I had an hour or two to kill in Peterborough on a cold December morning before the appointment - which they'd said would last 30 minutes. The time got closer and I ignored the threatening notice on the door warning people that they MUST NOT join the queue more than 10 minutes before their appointment time. Was 20 minutes early pushing my luck?

Getting to the front of the queue I arrived at an airport-style security screening. Turn your phone off, anything metal in the tray, walk through the arch, then a hand-held metal detector and finally I get to the reception desk where they glanced at the form and photos and gave me an Argos-type waiting ticket with the instructions to go and sit 'over there' and keep an eye on the TV screens for my ticket number.

I didn't even get as far as the seats when my number was called and I then spend about 4 minutes in the "interview" handing over the form and photos and was instructed to return in four hours to pick up the new passport. The holiday was back 'on'!

So what the heck does one do to amuse oneself in Peterborough for 4 hours? Easy, I did something I've never done before and went to view the Shuttleworth Collection. teeth 2

Next time I hope to use the online renewal system. It sounds somewhat more stress and hassle-free, rather less time-consuming and significantly cheaper too! Even if it means missing out on another visit to Old Warden!

Thread: Cambrian Akrostar
01/02/2017 18:51:01
Posted by Peter Miller on 01/02/2017 12:31:20:

We all felt that while it could be slowed down very nicely care needed to be taken as I felt that it could suddenly bite.

I had one a good few years ago and I don't just feel it could suddenly bite...

Like Bob, I know it could suddenly bite. The first two times caused only minor damage, the third time was terminal!

Thread: How low is a low pass?
29/01/2017 19:19:21

Ouch... I'm cringing at the thought of the fin contacting the ground. Now that really does limit one's options!

Thread: Velcro
29/01/2017 19:15:12

Is this the self-adhesive type Martin? I got some from Clas Ohlson quite some time ago which was excellent - very sticky! I mostly used it for LiPos.

When I eventually ran out I got some more from ebay but it was very disappointing quality. Mainly the self-adhesive was poor - it's peeling off the LiPos I used it on after only a very short time. And that has never happened with the original stuff. But even the velcro hooks and loops were inferior.

So I'd be interested how the Lidl stuff compares - for when I run out of the second lot of Clas Ohlson velcro I replaced the ebay stuff with!

Thread: Diesel Crackdown
29/01/2017 11:48:05
Posted by Keith Simmons on 29/01/2017 10:08:09:

How is electricity created? From power stations and they are polluting.. In the old days, coal and now gas, don't know about diesel powered, maybe for peak times? but we don't generate enough so we buy electricity abroad, mostly from France.

Have a look here to see a real-time view (updated every 10 minutes) of how our electricity is sourced. The amount bought from France is fairly small - the link is anyway bi-directional and maxes out at 2GW.

Right now the demand on the national grid is around 40GW and we are actually supplying France with 0.1GW, though we are getting 1GW from the Netherlands. Coal is contributing a bit over 5GW, nuclear 7.4GW and Combined Cycle Gas Turbines nearly 21GW.

Thread: Sandbox
28/01/2017 21:51:07

So, taking it a stage further... What about a gif, renamed as .jpg?

[EDIT] Interesting!  It works but kills the animation!  Though that may be due to how the browser handles it?

Edited By John Privett on 28/01/2017 21:52:43

Thread: uploading photos to Album
28/01/2017 18:15:21
Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 26/01/2017 19:24:20:

If it has been saved as a .PNG file, try altering the file type suffix to .JPG, save and try again.

I just tried that in the sandbox and it works...

That does rather beg the question, why limit what can be uploaded to our albums to jpeg files (or rather anything with a '.jpg' file extension)? Should the restriction not be amended to permit .png files and probably .gif files too? A question for your techies, Pete?

Thread: Sandbox
28/01/2017 18:09:49

Sure does Colin. That's a png format image renamed as a jpeg!

28/01/2017 18:04:02

Let's see if Pete's suggestion works;

pngfilesaved as a jpeg.jpg

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Overlander
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What's the main radio brand you use? (2017)
Q: What's the main radio brand you use?

FrSky
 Turnigy
 Multiplex
 Hitec
 Futaba
 JR
 Spektrum
 Graupner
 Jeti
 Other

Latest Reviews