By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KiwiKid

Here is a list of all the postings KiwiKid has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sheep Eating Cars
18/08/2017 07:59:40

I have been pondering whether the title of this tread should be Sheep Eating Cars or Cars Eating Sheep - any English scholars about?

My local club field is situated in the middle of a huge dairy farm, which is great as it affords a large clear area well away from civilization (at the moment), but the field is only protected by an electric fence and we have had a few incursions. The worst was just a few weeks ago when the field was really wet and the damage was substantial. Repairs are underway and the LHS has sold out of tundra tires.

field damage.jpg

Thread: Over the French oceanic coast.
18/08/2017 00:22:55
Like so.
Thread: So, What would you buy with your lottery win?
17/08/2017 15:05:39
Posted by Denis Watkins on 17/08/2017 09:08:33:

It has to be field ownership

And a tarmac strip, with flat grass strip either side of course

This guy in the States actually did it. He has two guys employed maintaining the site and building him new jets!

jet field.jpg

Thread: Freewings/Ready2 Fly Venom
16/08/2017 14:54:42

Freewing's latest offerings are simply awesome - they have developed a way of making the foam smoother (smaller beads and longer cool down time in the mould) and the standard of detail is superb. You really need to have a paved runway or good quality grass strip available though.

a-4 & a-10.jpg

a-4 & f-14.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 16/08/2017 14:59:28

Thread: EXERCISE IN REDUCING WEIGHT
16/08/2017 10:19:20
Posted by Pete Willbourn on 16/08/2017 09:51:51:

wood worm under control !! Was not in the loft !! so OK , The odd thing was there were no holes on the inside balsa , it was only when I took the covering off that it was evident.

Yep, that's their modus operandi. When they are burrowing through the wood they can sense when they are getting close to a surface exposed to air and deviate back into the wood. The circular holes you see are their exit ports when they grow wings and fly away looking for your prized grandfather clock or some such.

A similar mouse story from a friend of mine. He had stored the wings to his large pattern ship in his shed for a few months. When he went grab them just prior to going flying he found that a family of mice had moved in and shredded the ribs to make a nice mouse nest where they proceeded to raise a rather large family.

Another animal story. A fellow flier who is into vintage flying had lovingly covered the wing of a large vintage model and, having doped it all up, propped it up against his work bench for the night to dry. His cat thought it rather helpful that his servant human had left a ladder out so he could ascend (by way of claws) to the work bench to check out the possibility of any tasty morsels left behind.

Thread: Rules of thumb for cooling
10/08/2017 10:06:16

Yip spoon scoops work well and can also be used to cover up outlet holes to make them less noticeable.

23.jpg

Commercially moulded scoops can also look fairly unobtrusive.

cockpit2.jpg

And NACA scoops can be cut into canopies on non-scale models.

star5.jpg

Addressing the OPs initial post, I don't think a 4X outlet hole is really necessary and you could get into some structural problems with some models. The aim is principally to create indoor/outdoor flow and 2X should do this adequately. The efficiency of cooling will be markedly affected by the outside air temperature, which is a variable, and I usually go with the biggest inlet that can be accommodated given the 2X exit hole needed. Then it's just a case of "suck it and see".

Thread: Peoples Mosquito
10/08/2017 06:41:08

Awesome stuff. Just wondering, does anyone know the background of where the Merlin engines come from these days? Presumably there is a limited supply.

10/08/2017 04:11:57

Good idea! Avspecs are kinda getting the hang of it now laugh

mossie.jpg

mossie2.jpg

09/08/2017 15:35:56

Five years on now - did anything ever come of the Mosquito project?

The Military Aviation Museum's Mossie (built by Avspecs in NZ) and mentioned above by Keiran cost over four million USDs and took 8 years to build. I was fortunate to see it at it's first public performance and it is an experience I will never forget. Lots of pics on the WWW.

Thread: Amethyst glider
09/08/2017 05:39:23

Looking good Tom.

About six years ago a mate and I built some Sig Ninja slopers - another "back in the day" glider which is a similar layout to the Amethyst, but with a slightly shorter wingspan. Great flyer and I often haul mine out for a rip around the slope. Here's a short vid of the maiden flight - you can see the agility that ailerons provide.

**LINK**

ninjas.jpg

08/08/2017 12:02:41

Yes Steve, there are two gliders named named Amethyst, the West Wing in the vid and Tom's one that was manufactured by Premier Balsa Products Ltd.

The Amethyst crystal is said to be a meditative stone which works in the emotional, spiritual and physical planes to promote calm, balance and peace - hopefully the gliders have the same effect.smiley

Thread: Hordes of beautiful women looking for model flying advice
07/08/2017 13:22:54

Hordes of beautiful women looking for model flying advice do, in fact, exist and some ne'er do wells on another forum actually managed to amass quite a collection of pics in evidence.

Once you have updated you status you may have a look laugh

**LINK**

Thread: Amethyst glider
07/08/2017 06:28:33

I would strongly recommend adding ailerons if you are planning on sloping the Amethyst. It looks to have a fairly flat dihedral and will respond well to aileron control.

Sloping a two channel glider in anything but very light conditions is, at best, character building and, at worst, downright terrifying. Response times are slow and you run the risk of a total loss of control when landing in turbulent conditions. The model should handle the extra weight with ease and you will get a much more agile model which will be able to do rolls as well as loops. It wouldn't hurt to add some carbon strips onto the wing spar set up to give a bit of added resilience.

Look forward to some pics as you progress.

I built a similar vintage Sorcerer glider a while back and found it pretty sluggish with the RE set-up - adding ailerons really transformed it's performance.

tauhara.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 07/08/2017 06:36:20

Thread: Traplet statement
03/08/2017 03:28:48
Posted by Fanyak on 02/08/2017 20:20:42:

Just seen, Australian Airborne magazine has closed too.

Yes, I was horrified to see that even "Australia's No. 1 top selling magazine for the radio controlled aircraft enthusiast" has fallen victim to the general malaise. It was always a good read.

Understandably, they are a bit miffed: **LINK**

Thread: PSS for 2012 ? The Russians are coming !!
31/07/2017 17:23:38

Looks like Matt must have deleted the files.

Initially thought it must be that blinkin' PhotoBucket carry on which has decimated forums all around the world. I have seen several cases where individual posters have lost 10+ years of postings covering thousands of pics.

I see some EBay and other online retailers (who used PB as a depository for their product pics) are getting a fighting fund together for a class action lawsuit. It would be an interesting case which would have to decide, amongst other things, whether the size of an organisation's operation negated their individual right to do what they want with their activities.

Edited By KiwiKid on 31/07/2017 17:26:24

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
29/07/2017 12:24:13

Thankyou for that Anders. I expect that the Kranich will also make a neat slope soarer if you have suitable slopes nearby.

29/07/2017 10:55:53

That looks really neat Anders - love the scheme. I was looking at getting one also, but shipping to NZ was pretty expensive. Still thinking about it as it would be a nice complement to my Ka-8B - pic below.

Could I ask what motor, prop and battery set up you used?

k82.jpg

Thread: Lipo disposal questions
24/07/2017 23:06:19

Not recommended, but I guess it gets the job done laugh

**LINK**

Thread: Spray painting camouflage pattern
20/07/2017 22:25:52

Awesome skills there guys - really a treat to see.

One other technique I am fond of is Blu-tac and cling film. You just cut the Blu-tac into thin strips, bend it to the shape of the camo you want and mask off the rest with the cling film which sticks well to the Blu-tac. You can then spray the subject area with rattle cans or an air brush. By spraying down vertically around the edges you can get nice blurred edges. Couple of my humble efforts below - EDF Skyhawk and a PSS Spit..

a4 bluetac.jpg

www11.jpg

spit paint.jpg

spit.jpg

Thread: Man on the moon. Really?
16/07/2017 22:03:56

Interesting post Peter. I didn't know that one Trevor - one thing that sticks in my mind was an interview with Buzz Aldrin where he was asked about the allegations of faking the landings and he said that if anyone had come to him and told him that they had to fake the landings he would have punched them in the face - what a guy. Quite interesting now seeing the shots of the landing sites with all the tracks and gear strewn around - unless they are fake too!!

Edited By KiwiKid on 16/07/2017 22:05:01

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
SHREK
Overlander
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us