By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KiwiKid

Here is a list of all the postings KiwiKid has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: happy christmas
11/12/2017 23:22:18

A little Xmas cheer to warm up those frozen extremities laugh

tiaxmas.jpg

tia xmas radian.jpg

xmas dlg.jpg

Thread: 1/6 Westland Whirlwind
10/12/2017 18:05:22

Really looking forward to following this build of one of my favourite subjects. Co-incidentally, just came across this pic on t' Facebook last night - it appears to have been taken at the same time as the cover shot on the second (from the left) of your book collection - inspiring stuff!

whirlwind3.jpg

Thread: Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?
09/12/2017 09:11:21

Wot - no skis?

Skis are good laugh

snow landing.jpg

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
07/12/2017 23:28:44

Really enjoying the bipe pics! For the rest of us mere mortals the ARF Dynam Waco is a good looking fun park and club flyer with a short build time smiley

waco4.jpg

waco2.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 07/12/2017 23:31:23

Thread: Why We board Planes From The left Hand Side.
03/12/2017 02:28:45

Just wondering if we have any "lefties' here? I, as a "rightie", can remember when I first started flying that I had a phobia for right hand circuits and it took a lot of practice to get the landings right.

Full size pilots tend to favour left hand circuits and aircraft carriers (except for some of the early Jap ones) have the island on the starboard side as pilots generally preferred to turn to port in the event of a baulked landing. Back in the day, single-motor propeller planes usually had a right-turning engine, so they tended to deviate to the port side anyway.

Thread: Dihedral in flying wing design?
01/12/2017 04:44:47

I have been enjoying this discussion as I am a bit of a fan of flying wings. They can be a versatile model being great fun for park and club flying, thermaling and slopin' - sometimes all four laugh

Here's a few of my wingy things to show the variety that can be enjoyed - they all have sweepback to varying derees.

Zeta Phantom with wing extensions

phantom-c.jpg

3.2m "expanded" combat wing

jazzilla7.jpg

Horten Amerika bomber

horten1d.jpg

Blohm und Voss high altitude fighter

jess b&v (3).jpg

Zupair Z1 (with B2 removable motor pod)

z1 b2.jpg

Zupair Zulu

smart.jpg

Own design Sloper

pic_0183.jpg

Own design sloper

the sting3.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 01/12/2017 04:50:38

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
29/11/2017 11:55:57
Posted by David Davis on 29/11/2017 08:16:09:

I prefer the Liberator.

Soon, you will be able to have your very own laugh

**LINK**

Thread: All very nice, but who cares?
28/11/2017 01:17:52

"How much is it going to cost?"

Anyone remember the lovely Pandora from The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole.

Thread: Flying with the experts?
22/11/2017 00:11:21
Posted by john stones 1 on 21/11/2017 15:46:17:

We had a pair of Swans nest on our pond, when the Cygnets where ready to fly, they all waddled inline to the end of our runway and took off (no one was flying) very comical but no camera unfortunately....never did get their membership money. face 1

We often have ducks nesting near our flying field. As they usually have the place to themselves, they seem to totally ignore us when we are flying and come meandering through the pits and runway.

ducks at field.jpg

Here's some bird and model pics I have saved recently.

In the States - BoT cruising with a hawk

bot & hawk.jpg

When it's nesting season the local Magpies go a bit postal. Here my mate's EPP Eagle is getting monstered by a physco Maggie.

magpie.jpg

magpie4.jpg

This shot was taken in Bali by a guy flying an FPV enabled glider which crept up beside and asian eagle.

fpv eagle pic.jpg

I think this one was lookin' for luv.

eagles.jpg

From the PSS glider guys - some gulls expressing their displeasure at their airspace being invaded by a PSS Bison.

bison birds.jpg

Another glider shot - Falcon doing a dive bombing run on a sloper.

falcon.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 22/11/2017 00:17:08

Thread: Full size glider LiPo fire
14/11/2017 12:43:06

It still remains a bit of a mystery as to what actually caused the batteries to cook off. The AAIB report is inconclusive and they plan to do a detailed analysis of the batteries to try and determine a cause. The report was dated 25th September so perhaps some more info will be available before Xmas. The only "smoking gun" is a comment from the pilot that he dropped one of the batteries which may have caused fracture damage. The pilot should have had some warning in flight if the batteries were starting to cook off as the Front Electric Sustainer Control Unit is fairly detailed.

fcu.jpg

The batteries have built in fan units to help with cooling, so overheating should not have been a problem and even if it was the pilot should have had warning. As the combustion appears to have erupted on landing, perhaps a bump on touchdown triggered the failure.

Dumping a flaming mass of combusting lipo batteries is probably highly illegal and could lead to all sorts of grief. Even bailing out and leaving the glider to crash is going to potentially cause a nasty conflagration on impact.

Edited By KiwiKid on 14/11/2017 12:45:01

Thread: Glider Tow
13/11/2017 10:55:33
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 11/11/2017 22:08:48:

anything for a larf

Well .... quite laugh

launch.jpg

Thread: Modellers terms/phrases ?
12/11/2017 11:32:08

Amongst DLGers: "Launch height doesn't fix stupid".

Thread: Facebook Cover Competition
10/11/2017 10:31:58
Posted by ceejay on 10/11/2017 08:36:19:

apologies for all the edits my typing is worse than bad!!!

Pro tip: When you are editing a post for the second or more time you can actually delete the editing notation so you only ever end up with one showing. And yes, very nice pic.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, as the winning pic will be going on a Facebook header it needs to be approximately a 1:2.5 shaped rectangle, so as long as your pic can be cropped like that it will be a contender.

Edited By KiwiKid on 10/11/2017 10:35:48

Thread: Modellers terms/phrases ?
10/11/2017 00:11:56

One I hear often and have used myself "It was working fine at home".

09/11/2017 23:14:33
Posted by Peter Miller on 09/11/2017 18:19:19:

It will look OK at 50 feet

Similarly: : "You won't see it when it's flying"

Thread: Oracover Chrome
31/10/2017 00:35:23

Hehe - you really have to be something of a masochist to attempt covering with that stuff. I had a go once and quickly decided dark blue was a better bet. You really have to spend extra special time on surface prep as the Chrome will mercilessly show up every ridge and indention in your hadiwork for all the world to see.

Done well, however, it is a thing of beauty laugh

t-33 shiny.jpg

t-33 shiny2.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 31/10/2017 00:58:01

Thread: Youtube, Vimeo and Photobucket videos
28/10/2017 04:33:19

Yes you have it right on the vid loading John.

Regarding Albums, you can add pics to existing albums.

Firstly, there are two Album tabs.

The first one is in the black bar on the forum header - this one just shows you the albums that have had recent additions to them. Quite entertaining to have a squiz at if you have some time to kill.

The second one is on the maroon coloured bar. This tab takes you to your album. Once there you can create a new album or add to an existing one. Most folks keep individual albums for each model and a "dump" album to put pics in for general forum use. To add pics to an existing album, go to that album and click on "Edit Photos", this takes you to the album's contents, then click on "Add More Photos". From there just select from your comp. Once completed, scroll down to the bottom of the pics and select "Save Changes" - job done.

Thread: JP Albatross Glider
27/10/2017 08:08:38

Hi Mike, assume this is the model you have?

albatros2.jpg

I have a couple of similar models and, yes, they balance nicely with the cg around one third of the w/s. Just do some unpowered glide tests to see how it feels.

It would appear to have an all flying horizontal stab? If so, yes, you will not need much deflection for general flying.

Thread: Guinness.....
27/10/2017 03:40:44

Certainly looks like it - LOL. Well spotted. With the prevalence of smart phones and vid capable cameras about, you really have to assume that you are under constant surveillance these days.

peer.jpg

26/10/2017 12:37:12

Haha, yes you do not get to those speeds without a good deal of preparation.

I like the vertical fin bases enclosing the elevon pushrods. Gotta try that sometime.

verts.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues