By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KiwiKid

Here is a list of all the postings KiwiKid has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Once upon a time...
13/01/2017 12:47:03

There have been a couple of SG 38 completed models for sale on RCG recently.

**LINK**

**LINK**

I recall a kit being available from the Vintagesailplaner too.

As you might expect, the models perform very much like the full size version with a lot of drag and a fairly steep glide ratio.

Thread: V1
07/01/2017 20:17:38

Just some pics from a local airshow I thought you might like https://www.flickr.com/photos/errolgc/sets/72157651283657100/with/16383692294/

Edited By KiwiKid on 07/01/2017 20:22:28

07/01/2017 20:13:49

The model was built for the airshow circuit and electric was decided upon as the safest and most reliable form of propulsion. There was also a problem with weight as the model was approaching the level in NZ where it would have been classed as a light aircraft which would have incurred a mass of complications for airshow performances.

Propulsion is provided by 5 EDF's and it has a flight duration of about 3 and half minutes. This from a bank of ten LiPo batteries pulling 600 amps at the motors at 50 Volts. 30 Kilowatts at the motors. The power is conveyed to the motors by way of 2 inch square aluminium bar, chosen as compromise between weight and voltage loss. The batteries are probably only good for 20 cycles at this level of abuse as most of the flight is at WOT. Hope they got a discount at HK.

v1b.jpg

v1.jpg

v1d.jpg

v1c.jpg

v1a.jpg

Thread: First casualty of the year.
06/01/2017 16:11:35

I was thinking the same thing. If I had to fly looking into the sun, I would probably flag it. If you are faced with an approaching sun, a quick trick most of you will know is to use your transmitter to shade your eyes. If you are (very) lucky and the model is well trimmed you should regain sight and control of it before it meets a sudden stop.

06/01/2017 13:57:51

Yip, I have found fluro orange to be the best at helping with orientation. Also pays to splash out on a good pair of sunglasseslaughtau - kometa.jpg

Thread: PSSA meet - New Years Day 2017
06/01/2017 13:31:13

Yes, very nice Pete. I made a vid in the same vein a while back.

**LINK**

Thread: Hacker Vagabond 1.5m Aerobat
06/01/2017 12:52:12

Well I did find some modelling time and grafted a motor on the front. Posted a vid and noticed not long after that Hacker came out with a motorised version of the Vag - LOL. They now have quite a variety of scale models built with the same tech as the Vag that can be flown as gliders or powered. I went with the powered option for the reasons already mentioned and to get more stick time. Here's a short vid of the maiden flights - just tooling around getting a feel for her. I have since got a bit more adventurous and really enjoy flying this model. Great party trick is a powered flat spin.

https://vimeo.com/129950695

Edited By KiwiKid on 06/01/2017 12:54:42

Thread: Windrider airliners
24/11/2016 06:22:08

Hi Harry, I have been dealing with Ming for many years and have had nothing but great service and prompt deliveries. A couple of years back, Ming decided to focus more on the drone side of the business (more profit) in terms of future product development, but all their existing products are still in production and fully supported. Ming did develop the Bat2 sloper recently and is active on RCG: **LINK**

Edited By KiwiKid on 24/11/2016 06:25:56

Thread: Ebay sellers...
20/11/2016 08:00:55

You just need to put a space between "fine" and the "http"

Edited By KiwiKid on 20/11/2016 08:01:25

Thread: painting a foamy
10/11/2016 21:38:18

Like so: **LINK**

I saw one of the guys on here recently doing a similar process, but using a solution that you paint on and then peal off, rather than using the cling film.

10/11/2016 10:36:50

Yip, the model has a blow plastic fuselage and EPO wing so you should be good to go with all acrylic and enamel paints. EPO is Expanded Poly Olefin and is a lot more durable than polystyrene. If using spray cans , hold the can about twelve inches away from the surface and build up with light coats. The paint won't effect the foam, but the accelerant in the can may - hence the reason for not getting the can too close to the model. As mentioned, you need to clean off any release agent before painting.

You can get quite a nice finish (for a foamy) on EPO. Here's my EDF EPO TA-4K sprayed with Tamiya enamel rattle cans using the blu-tack and cling film method.

scooter2a.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 10/11/2016 10:38:41

Thread: hobbyking - big changes
07/11/2016 07:50:13
Posted by David Ovenden on 05/11/2016 20:46:54:

A drop in their sales will concentrate minds on fixing the website and we might even be offered some good deals/ prices to tempt punters back.

KA-CHING!: **LINK**

Thread: How can I thank you?
05/11/2016 20:55:42
Posted by Glyn44 on 04/11/2016 14:40:02:

Need a bit of advice though. Is it ok to run around the house from room to room, or even garden, with the model held high overhead making engine and gun noises? Should the house have no other occupants?

Your advice greatfully received.

Glynn44

It's probably better if you do it when no-one else is around - they just won't understand the subtle nuances of model fondling.

glider fix.jpg

Thread: Canard Delta Depron
03/11/2016 06:04:21

Hi Chris, sounds like a fun project.

As RC Plane Flyer alludes to, a rear mounted prop is going to generate a lot of noise as the prop is chewing on disturbed air. If you are planning on flying the model in parks it will be a bit noisey in the pusher configuiaration. I built an Su-27 out of blue foam a few years back powered with a grunty brushless inrunner and she is pretty quick, but rowdy as. I just used the tail surfaces as full flying elevons and they worked great and were simple to set up. You could do that and have the canards as full flying or fixed.

Here she is, still going strong and turned out to be a bit of a chick magnet too laugh

abby.jpg

su-27 tok.jpg

jessica&flanker.jpg

Thread: Parkzone Spares
29/10/2016 00:11:56

Hi Erfolg, just did a quick squiz of my sources and came up blank (like Kiwikanfli) with the exception of Atlanta Hobby:

**LINK**

Might be a bit of an expensive exercise getting it across the ditch. If you are interested at all I would suggest that you send them an e-mail to confirm, firstly, that they do, in fact, have a wing in stock and then to advise likely shipping cost. I have been dealing with this company for many years without problem. Payment is via Paypal.

Thread: Model flying photos you're proud of
24/10/2016 07:38:21

Yes, I have found that out on several occasions. Water is incompressible so it can be like hitting concrete depending on impact velocity and impact surface area.

23/10/2016 23:53:52

Awesome Simon - it's amazing to have a model last that long.

My PSS Me-163C in parkflying mode doing a close pass - screen grab from a Mobius. I usually take the prop off for PSS flying although it flies just as well with it left on.tau - kometa.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 23/10/2016 23:57:58

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2017
12/10/2016 12:49:19

Thanks guys - interesting stuff.

12/10/2016 11:34:13

Hi Martin, just interested in the construction method & materials used. I presume it was a scratch build.

11/10/2016 23:01:36

Great pics guys. Neat to see some Luft '46 models turning up. Love the B&V 215 - it would slope even better with a folding prop. Brilliant build on the Arado "triple nickle":

e-555.jpg

I expect there was not enough wind for it to fly. Anyone have some background and more pics of it? Landing with droop tips will be "interesting". I have a B&V 219 (actually a bashed up X-8 LOL) that is a lot of fun and makes a great sloper.

e-555a.jpg

e-555b.jpg

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Overlander
Slec
Advertise With Us
CML
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?
Q: Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?

Dad
 Mum
 Partner
 Son
 Daughter
 Grandson
 Granddaughter
 Friends
 Other
 No-one else

Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues