By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KiwiKid

Here is a list of all the postings KiwiKid has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Are you an active slope soarer?
29/05/2016 23:17:22

With a suitable model like a DLG, Alula, or other light powered or unpowered glider (HK have a few and cheap DLGs) you can have fun and get a slope fix on quite small ridges that you might find not too far away or even around town. This activity has come to be called suburban soaring and you can hunt out prospective slopes on Google Earth or by keeping your eyes peeled when you are out and about. It's always a good idea to seek out the owner of the land and ask permission to fly there - we have to do that by law in NZ.

I found this one in a new subdivision just 5 minutes away from me (best to click on the Vimeo icon and watch it there)

Edited By KiwiKid on 29/05/2016 23:20:10

Thread: Northrop Flying-wing
29/05/2016 13:34:16

Very nice vid. It's amazing what they achieved with the materials they had available and the lack of computer profiling.

A chap over at RCG is fairly well advanced on an EDF Yb-49:

**LINK**

Some background:

"But it was the Flying Wing that held Northrop’s imagination and with war’s end, he poured himself into the project.

"Small scale models of the Flying Wing, which successfully proved the concept in wartime experiments, were now scaled up, their propellers replaced with jets, and designated the XB-35. So promising was the design that Northrop took to calling it the “airplane of the future” and constructed a large facility for its expected production. It was not to be. Despite advantages over conventionally configured aircraft in virtually every performance category, the program was cancelled due to budgetary and other considerations. It was a blow to Jack Northrop and the highly successful twin jet, all-weather interceptor, the F-89 Scorpion, would be the final design he would personally oversee. He retired in 1952 at the comparatively young age of 57.

"By 1981, Jack Northrop’s health and personal finances were failing. Confined to a wheel chair and unable to speak, the Air Force briefed him on their new, highly classified, Northrop-built B-2 Spirit bomber. Built in a flying wing configuration and incorporating many of Jack Northrop’s design innovations, the B-2 has evolved into the most capable bomber in aviation history. Upon seeing the drawings and a scale model of the aircraft, Northrop reportedly wrote on a sheet of paper in a shaky, feeble hand, "Now I know why God has kept me alive for 25 years." Ten months later he was dead."

**LINK**

Thread: Ebay sellers...
28/05/2016 16:03:36

Ah ....... "kiwidave-uk", I think I see the problem - English is his second language. smiley

Thread: How do you keep track of your lipos?
28/05/2016 11:15:08

I use an appropriately denoted receptacle to keep my used batteries out of the way at the field.

It is useful to have a battery checker in the tool box in case of any mix ups.

I keep all my bigger batteries (above 3S 2200) at storage levels and charge them prior to flying. Any that aren't in the military cemetery at the end of the flying session need to go back to storage. If I intend to fly again within a week or so, I just leave them charged up.

dead soldiers.jpg

Thread: mid air servo failure
28/05/2016 09:37:45

Totally agree Bob.It does sort of come with the territory dealing with HK. I tend to try and get ARF's and put my own sourced stuff in them. HK often sells seconds from their suppliers and some of their stuff is decidedly bottom of the range. Also, they have been pinged by their suppliers a few times with the old bait and swictheroony trick. A couple of years ago they had a lot of grief from failing servos that were crashing models all over the world. When they checked it out they found the supplier had replaced carbonite gears in the servos with plastic ones.

However most of the HK stuff is OK, you just have to accept that you get what you pay for and suck it up when things turn to custard.

hk.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 28/05/2016 09:39:00

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
26/05/2016 21:45:56

Well, quite.

rc drugs.jpg

Two gangsters walk into a bar and order a couple of beers. As they start drinking one of them clutches at his heart and falls to the floor suffering an apparent heart attack. The other gangster grabs his cell phone and calls the emergency service. The operator answers and the gangster yells "My mates just dropped to the floor, I think he's dead". The operator says "Now listen carefully and do everything I tell you". "OK" says the gangster. The operator says "The first thing we have to do is make sure he is dead". "Gotcha" says the gangster. The operator hears a gunshot, then the gangster comes back on the phone and says "OK, now what?"

Thread: Are you an active slope soarer?
26/05/2016 21:17:56

56% of forumites are in denial smiley

Thread: Giant 1/4 scale F-104 Starfighter (at Top Gun 2016)
24/05/2016 14:46:22

Some pics from the meet on RCU: **LINK**

Thread: Planning this autumn's crop
23/05/2016 22:24:02

The dynamic soaring chaps have some pretty spectacular oopsies at times.

ds-aster.jpg

Thread: Wingsmaker Ogar EP Glider
23/05/2016 12:34:13

Just for anyone that happens by, the Ogar is a super fun flyer and is a versatile model being great for park flying, thermaling, club flying and ridge soaring. This is a scale model, so technically, if you took the blades of the prop, it would be a PSS ship - LOL.

I get a lot of stick time on mine and the FPV guys have made good use of the RES (Rear Electric Sustainer) set up:**LINK**

profile.jpg

cockpit.jpg

3/4.jpg

Short vid of the maiden flights out at my local beach.

Edited By KiwiKid on 23/05/2016 12:34:53

Edited By KiwiKid on 23/05/2016 12:36:19

Thread: PSSA Chat
21/05/2016 08:00:53

Hi Graham, you might gain a wider audience by re-posting in this forum: **LINK**

Woot woot!! smiley

hawk.jpg

**LINK**

Thread: Bringing absolute stupidity to a new low!
21/05/2016 05:33:30

So many things (maybe a dozen or so) have to be done right for a successful flight and you can get it right 500 times, but just one slip up can catch you out.

I have had heaps of oops moments and often they have been caused by getting out of routine by being distracted. A while back I bungy launched a glider without turning on the power as I was in a park with some mates and a member of the public had come up and I had been talking to them while setting up. It was the sixth launch of the day and there was a slight cross wind - I have never felt so helpless watching the glider perform a graceful arc and do a lawn dart still attached to the tow rope.

A friend of mine had a couple of high powered (1500w) electric pylon racers and was flying at a meet last year. He had completed a race, got talking to some other competitors, and then put the model on the back seat of his (brand new) car and picked up the second model. Did his preflight checks, but didn't run the motor up as the set up had a limited run time. Duly launched, when there was an immediate commotion from the peanut gallery and people started yelling at him to land! He powered off and glided in to find people pointing at his car. There in the back was a thoroughly destroyed model and back seat. He had forgotten to turn the model off and it had powered up to full noise when the second one was launched. Cost was the airframe, plus ESC, plus a full recover of the back seat - $1,800NZ.

The best you can do is just try to maintain "situational awareness" and be particularly careful when out of your normal environment. Sometimes, it can also help to just take a moment, don't rush and think things through.

Thread: Stunning Spity pics
20/05/2016 12:24:32

Well done that man - awesome pics from John Dibbs.

**LINK**

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
19/05/2016 07:50:26

My Chris Floss 3.5m HiPhase glider (a long way from home) following recent renovation - full recover and ailerons added.

hp2a.jpg

Thread: Great Orme needs a tenant
18/05/2016 21:36:56

LOL - nice to see someone else on the end of sheep jokes.

Looks like other slope fauna is at risk too smiley

goats.jpg

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
14/05/2016 22:11:22

The world is full of trickery.

ticked off.jpg

Thread: Art-Tech EF2000 on a slope
10/05/2016 21:43:42

Hoping it goes well for you Ian.

If anyone is interested in doing something similar on the cheep, FlyFly have a range of reasonably priced kits of a good size and a few of them come with (of all things) RG-14 airfoils.

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

I have the MB-339 in the build queue and got a pair of F-86 wings to go with a glass fuse I have. Some of those models also come in other schemes.

Here is John Pearson's Mig-29. IIRC he rebuilt the outer wing panels.

mig29.jpg

mig29a.jpg

Thread: Unexpected lift
10/05/2016 04:22:29

Another phenomenon I have noticed on some gentle slopes with light gliders like DLGs is that, sometimes when the wind speed increases, the lift actually reduces. My theory here is that the stronger wind is knocking the top off the lift so when the wind is at it's optimum speed for the slope, a sort of wave forms where incoming air rides up on the back of the ridge lift. This creates another feature with DLGs whereby you can fly them to a certain height in the ridge lift, but if you do a strong DLG launch the model will pass through the ridge lift up into the wave lift and sit there seeming to defy physics.

Here's a vid of one site I fly at where this happens a lot - my mate testing the boundaries of the lift with his Halfpipe - launch (and return) is at the tree line.

Thread: When is a storage charge required?
09/05/2016 02:04:40

Yes, you can get away with it if you are not flying high drain systems and the batteries are of reasonable quality. I am still flying 7 year old Hyperion lipos in a couple of gliders.

However, it is good practice to discharge batteries down to storage levels (particularly large expensive ones) to prolong their efficient lifespan.Borrowed the below from another site:

"LiPos lose about 20% of their charge capacity per year when stored at room temperature with a full charge. When capacity is lost IR goes up as well since it effectively makes the battery smaller.

"They lose about 5% per year when stored with a charge 50% or less at room temperature. That 5% can be reduced a couple percent by storing in a refrigerator. Though it's not a good idea to store them any colder than that. It actually degrades the electrolyte when temperatures are below the freezing point of water. The electrolyte itself doesn't freeze until about -20F.

"Batteries typically ship with a 40% charge from the factory (3.80V per cell), though sometimes you see them with a 50% charge (3.85V per cell). It's been found that a charge level of 30% is ideal for minimizing risk of fire during storage or transport (3.75V per cell). Carriers may be requiring that level of charge for transport in the future. It does not reduce shelf life wear a lot, but it is a little lower at 30% compared 50% SOC (state of charge). Personally I store my batteries at 30% SOC for safety reasons.

"If you look at the daily cost of storing batteries at full charge you can evaluate the penalty. On a daily basis it's going to be 20%/365 versus 5%/365. If I want to store with a full charge a couple days it's not too much of a hit in shelf life wear. Though I usually won't go as long as a week."
CraigHB is online now Send a private message to CraigHB Find More Posts by CraigHB
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Thread: Unexpected lift
09/05/2016 01:44:38

You might have been experiencing "slermal" conditions. These happen in low speed wind conditions when the slope lift picks up weak thermal air and gives it a boost up the ridge. The combination of the two produces stronger lift conditions than would normally be expected. I have seen this happen even in the middle of winter as thermal conditions occur due the difference in surrounding surface temperatures and this can occur at sea as cold currents get pushed to the surface. These slermal conditions won't happen in stronger winds as the wind breaks up the thermals.

Another thing that can happen when the wind is changing direction slightly is that the wind can hit the slope's "sweet spot". The amount of lift generated can change markedly depending on the slopes shape and can drop off rapidly (like 10% for every 5 degrees) in some  cases.

Edited By KiwiKid on 09/05/2016 01:49:18

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues