By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KiwiKid

Here is a list of all the postings KiwiKid has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Amethyst glider
05/09/2017 04:41:21
Posted by onetenor on 04/09/2017 22:58:51:

That Ninja flyer was very naughty by flying so close to the hang gliders.

Don't panic, the parapenters were friends of mine (we drove out to the ridge together) and also RC pilots and everything was carefully choreographed with plenty of separation. I also used to fly hang-gliders in my younger days.

tauwhare soaring.jpg

04/09/2017 22:10:20

No, not too much. It accentuates the ailerons and has that going forward look to it.

04/09/2017 03:31:50

Woohoo - nearly there. Looking great - is the bottom of the wing plain yellow?

Thread: Renovation
02/09/2017 06:46:38
Posted by onetenor on 02/09/2017 03:40:46:.

And if there is no U/C what then ???

Time to break out the ever present CNC milled precision jointed double digit balancer laugh

one-finger3.jpg

01/09/2017 18:50:21

Servos can actually last quite along time, but will fail eventually. Due to the lack of pics (he said accusingly) not sure what your set up is, but if you have any push rods running through snakes check them out for free movement as any binding will be stressing the servos. Also see if they feel as though there is free movement internally as sometimes the gears can be gunked up from sitting unused. Servos will often (but not always) give some warning before failing by stuttering or jamming so just keep an eye on them.

I am not good at waiting and generally like to get a model flying ASAP and do the finishing work later, so I would suggest getting that sucker flying! Here's a Flanker I scratch built and got flying when it was still nekid. The camo sort of crept over it gradually and we got there in the end.

wip.jpg

abby.jpg

01/09/2017 03:04:46

Hi Tony, here's a pic from the Jetarrows Mirage 2000 manual which should help with the CG location. Looking at the figures, the actual CG would appear to be a bit ahead of where they have it marked. Just use the percentages based on your fuse length. 

Yes - would be neat to see some pics.

mirage.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 01/09/2017 03:11:04

Thread: I've never seen this before.
30/08/2017 14:20:15

It was and the lift area was rather small with sink around the edges. Managed to core it a few times, but literally got spat out the side as the column was rotating quite fast internally.

30/08/2017 04:10:05
Posted by J D 8 on 28/08/2017 11:45:22:

That was a whopper, most last less than a minute. Good pic.

Yep, it was the longest lasting one I have seen. After about 5 minutes the bottom broke away from the ground and the whole lower part turned into a ball which drifted up and away left to right. We followed it until it got too far away - awesome.

You can often spot these thermals by seeing small things circling in a cone shape, sometimes you might spot bigger things laugh

Edited By KiwiKid on 30/08/2017 04:10:52

29/08/2017 03:01:16

Looking really good Tom - very flash job. I find my enthusiasm always gets a lift when the end of a project is in sight.

I notice you often posting in the wee small hours - what country are you in?

Thread: I've never seen this before.
28/08/2017 10:28:12

I have seen them quite frequently during the summer months. They usually form in the afternoon of really hot calm days and can start off small and slowly build up. I was out with a mate once and was about to launch my glider - looking around to make sure the coast was clear I noticed that one of these chimney thermals had formed behind us. Gave him a yelp and grabed my camera for a quick pic. You can just make out his glider heading for the thermal from stage left.

dusty thermal.jpg

This particular beasty was a whopper and stayed around for another 10minutes or so. I managed to launch and join my mate for a bit of a frolic. The twister had formed in a plowed paddock on the other side of that maize and was full of dust. When we eventually landed our gliders were covered in dust and it had also got inside the fuses as we had vents to cool the electronics. Everything was coated in fine dust and we had to give the insides a good blasting with compressed air at home. Great fun and very kind of mother nature to give us a pointer to her free ride.

Edited By KiwiKid on 28/08/2017 10:34:39

25/08/2017 10:22:53

Great work Tom - I have been enjoying your build. I am sure you will appreciate the extra control you get from the ailerons.

Thread: Warbird Replicas Ju88 Night Fighter build
24/08/2017 16:16:04

Andy, I have noticed several modelers using a similar camo on their bomber Ju-88s, so there may have been some fighter variants in similar liveries. Things apparently went a bit crazy on the paint front towards the end of the war as paint was in short supply and the Luftwaffe paint shops started using old stocks from earlier in the war and making up their own schemes. Some quite lively discussions ensue on the plastic modelling forums - LOL.

ju88.jpg

It would probably be preferable to fly the model on sunny days. I have a Luft '46 model with a similar camo job and it is pretty easy to orientate against blue skies, but on overcast or cloudy days you just need a bit of focus so you know the model's attitude even if you momentarily lose orientation.

bv11.jpg

Thread: Sheep Eating Cars
21/08/2017 03:20:40
Posted by Cliff 1959 on 20/08/2017 19:48:09:

All very interesting replies but no real answer to the problem.

Good point, I forgot about the actual question.

I would expect that a sheep scaring dog would do the trick - the smaller and more psycho the better.

18/08/2017 07:59:40

I have been pondering whether the title of this tread should be Sheep Eating Cars or Cars Eating Sheep - any English scholars about?

My local club field is situated in the middle of a huge dairy farm, which is great as it affords a large clear area well away from civilization (at the moment), but the field is only protected by an electric fence and we have had a few incursions. The worst was just a few weeks ago when the field was really wet and the damage was substantial. Repairs are underway and the LHS has sold out of tundra tires.

field damage.jpg

Thread: Over the French oceanic coast.
18/08/2017 00:22:55
Like so.
Thread: So, What would you buy with your lottery win?
17/08/2017 15:05:39
Posted by Denis Watkins on 17/08/2017 09:08:33:

It has to be field ownership

And a tarmac strip, with flat grass strip either side of course

This guy in the States actually did it. He has two guys employed maintaining the site and building him new jets!

jet field.jpg

Thread: Freewings/Ready2 Fly Venom
16/08/2017 14:54:42

Freewing's latest offerings are simply awesome - they have developed a way of making the foam smoother (smaller beads and longer cool down time in the mould) and the standard of detail is superb. You really need to have a paved runway or good quality grass strip available though.

a-4 & a-10.jpg

a-4 & f-14.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 16/08/2017 14:59:28

Thread: EXERCISE IN REDUCING WEIGHT
16/08/2017 10:19:20
Posted by Pete Willbourn on 16/08/2017 09:51:51:

wood worm under control !! Was not in the loft !! so OK , The odd thing was there were no holes on the inside balsa , it was only when I took the covering off that it was evident.

Yep, that's their modus operandi. When they are burrowing through the wood they can sense when they are getting close to a surface exposed to air and deviate back into the wood. The circular holes you see are their exit ports when they grow wings and fly away looking for your prized grandfather clock or some such.

A similar mouse story from a friend of mine. He had stored the wings to his large pattern ship in his shed for a few months. When he went grab them just prior to going flying he found that a family of mice had moved in and shredded the ribs to make a nice mouse nest where they proceeded to raise a rather large family.

Another animal story. A fellow flier who is into vintage flying had lovingly covered the wing of a large vintage model and, having doped it all up, propped it up against his work bench for the night to dry. His cat thought it rather helpful that his servant human had left a ladder out so he could ascend (by way of claws) to the work bench to check out the possibility of any tasty morsels left behind.

Thread: Rules of thumb for cooling
10/08/2017 10:06:16

Yip spoon scoops work well and can also be used to cover up outlet holes to make them less noticeable.

23.jpg

Commercially moulded scoops can also look fairly unobtrusive.

cockpit2.jpg

And NACA scoops can be cut into canopies on non-scale models.

star5.jpg

Addressing the OPs initial post, I don't think a 4X outlet hole is really necessary and you could get into some structural problems with some models. The aim is principally to create indoor/outdoor flow and 2X should do this adequately. The efficiency of cooling will be markedly affected by the outside air temperature, which is a variable, and I usually go with the biggest inlet that can be accommodated given the 2X exit hole needed. Then it's just a case of "suck it and see".

Thread: Peoples Mosquito
10/08/2017 06:41:08

Awesome stuff. Just wondering, does anyone know the background of where the Merlin engines come from these days? Presumably there is a limited supply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues