By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Adrian Smith 1

Here is a list of all the postings Adrian Smith 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Video footage of Hawker Hurricanes around the world
18/03/2018 12:17:56

Could have done without the music on the Malta clip though. wink

Thread: Weston Capiche 50cc Build
13/03/2018 22:02:35

Humour me a second, Gary. May I suggest you weigh the spinner, prop, ignition unit/switch separately as I think you might be surprised what they weigh (is it an alloy spinner?). I have had a couple of Weston 50cc cans and they are on the heavy side compared to say Hatori or Krumscheid, so that is a contributory factor I guess and may help explain the CoG dilemma. I am not suggesting you change it though! I know it is a pain, but when I measure the CoG everything is fitted to the plane so I am absolutely sure. Great build by the way and such neat and tidy work!

Thread: Bj's Modellflyg videos
13/03/2018 16:09:31

Sheer poetry, Bjarne! Keep up the good work. Pretty well nothing stops you from flying looking at the conditions (beautiful though they are) I guess?

Thread: Matching Motor to ESC rating
07/03/2018 21:17:54

Frank, the airframe I am using has an AUW of 8kg so no issues to be anticipated. You are right Ecalc seems a really good tool to use.

07/03/2018 19:23:03

Makes for interesting reading, Frank. Seems to add up to me.

Simon, interesting what you say about the motor. The motor is the GA6000.8 V2 which is described as good for 3D flying ( I just do standard aeros so not something I would worry about.) Given if what you say is significant, I am sceptical of those claims and can't see how it would be suited to that style of flying.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 07/03/2018 19:24:22

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 07/03/2018 19:24:59

07/03/2018 17:53:55

Thanks Frank,

I am running it on 24x8 JXF prop with 12S setup using 2 x 5000 mAh 6S lipos, also as an alternative 6000 mAh 6S x 2, all at 40c thereabouts.

MattyB, thanks for that. I will study the listed link you provide. yes

07/03/2018 16:43:57

I was looking at various motor and ESC combos, comparing to what I have which has prompted this question.

I have the DualSky 50-60cc equivalent motor like this one:-

I bought the recommended DualSky matching ESC to use with motor which is this:-

However, I am not sure this ESC has sufficient rating to cope with the motor as similar set ups I have looked seem to use 160HV and above for the ESC. The weapon of choice seems to Castle Creations 160HV (or as some call it Castle Cremations!). Presumable using the Dualsky ESC would detract from the motor performance if the rating is not quite there. Any thoughts?

Thread: Pilot RC Sbach 100cc
04/03/2018 14:51:53

I feel your pain, Rich. Servos inset into the elevator halves is a really frustrating job especially trying to feed the servo wires back out the wing. Done it a few times now and still hate the design teeth. I know the other options are to have the servos showing outside the wing/fuselage in other kits, and for the sake of not enduring the grief shown here the unaesthetic look doesn't bother me. Nice job anyway. thumbs up

Thread: Hitec 5625mg Servos
19/02/2018 20:55:45

Robert, I have used quite a few HS 5625s and I am happy to report that never had an issue with them. yes

Thread: Design & Build Dornier Do 24
18/02/2018 12:55:33

All I can say, Robert is WOW!! Fantastic effort indeed. beer

Thread: Goldwing RC Corvus 60cc ARTF for electric set up
16/02/2018 20:25:18

Bit of an update after a few flights which may be of interest.

The first observation is that I need to change the rudder servo to provide 20kg + as the one I have which it is a Savox producing around 15kg doesn't cut it. There just isn't enough rudder authority in knife edge flight with what I have got.

Secondly, the Corvus is the only aerobatic plane I have had that is so easy to put into a genuine flat spin. A pleasant surprise indeed.

Lastly, and this is completely unscientific, I have tested three brands of Lipos in the Corvus. They are Overlander, Turnigy and 4-Max all 6S batteries and all around 30-40C discharge rating. Admittedly they are all new lipos with only about 40 minutes use (in 12S setup), but the Overlander lipos seem to be noticeably more perky for the whole flight and provide good punch until the end of the 6 minute flights. The Turnigy and 4-Max batteries just don't seem have the "sparkle" and appear to sag towards end of the flight. Furthermore, and I found this surprising, it was the Overlander batteries that on the first usage, I accidentally (too optimistic on duration time!) depleted them to 3.2v per cell such that I had an almost dead stick and the RX battery got me down safely. I accept it's all about throttle management, but I think this behaviour was pretty standard amongst all flights tested.

15/02/2018 16:35:24

Good point, Gary. I notice this issue seems to happen with a few ARTF kits that have passed through my work shop.

Thread: Pilot RC Sbach 100cc
12/02/2018 18:32:43

Good to see you back in harness with this build and your Ultimate too. Hope you get some decent build time in for the foreseeable future. Nice work on the rear of the Sbach - real tidy I must say.

11/02/2018 18:09:27

Good that you are fitting the engine first as I find it is usually the most exacting part of the build. Everything else that comes after is pretty straightforward so good move thumbs up. The advice about leaving the can alignment until later is well considered.

One thing though you mention ordering silicone tube, but I assume you are using a Teflon joiner for the manifold union which is a must given the higher temperatures involved with petrol engine.

Thanks for the info, Gary about the U/C. It is another plus point in making my mind up on whether to take the plunge with this model.

11/02/2018 12:03:02

Does the Capiche 50cc have a carbon fibre U/C, Gary? My old Capiche 140 has a dural type U/C and apart from bending the paint was not really practical after a while.

Looking at the engine box pictures you post I would say it would lend itself well to an electric conversion. Something I might consider at some point.

Thread: Flummoxed again .... not difficult I know
10/02/2018 15:21:22

Oh mate, Denis. That's brilliant! I never found that though clearly I wasn't looking hard enough! Thanks again. yes

10/02/2018 15:19:17

Thanks, Gary. I have PM you back. Adrian

10/02/2018 11:46:00

What was the courier charge, Gary if I may ask?

Thread: Flummoxed again .... not difficult I know
10/02/2018 11:43:55

For those that like happy snappies here is a picture of what the ProgCARD should look like when looking at the settings.

fullsizeoutput_ac3.jpegSimple enough when you know how. Next out of interest I am going to try to find out how the ProgCARD plus unit works.

fullsizeoutput_abe.jpegOn the top left hand side there is a tiny switch above the "screen" icon (right graphic) and another icon that looks like a "paragraph" (left graphic). I assume the screen one is for when the unit is connected to the PC via a USB lead which I now have. This is for the port on the top left hand side. The port on the bottom left hand side which shows the + - and signal connections is presumably for the ESC plug. No instructions so I have no idea.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 10/02/2018 11:45:01

08/02/2018 17:31:33

Glad to see you took the plunge with the 50cc Capiche, Gary. If it flies anything like the two smaller versions from Weston you will not be disappointed! I had the Capiche 140 (still got it) and it is brilliant the way you can throw it around. Plus pound for pound it is the best value around for a 50cc aircraft. I am tuned in matey yes

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues