By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator

Here is a list of all the postings Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Peterf's twin 90mm EDF Blackhorse Mig 29 build log
25/05/2018 10:48:23

Wow! Simply stunning!

BEB

Thread: Northern area workshop.
25/05/2018 10:26:01

Looks a great day - thanks for posting the "report" John.

BEB

Thread: Parkzone US
24/05/2018 20:31:25

I'm not familar with the model, even in the UK. Can you give us some info to work on? A link to the sales site, a spec. Is it PNP or BNF? If the latter what reciever is in it? Etc.

BEB

Thread: This forum...
24/05/2018 19:49:54

Yeah I'd second that from Pete. For the vast majority of the time and people it is an easy and pleasant job to moderate this forum. So thank you to all of you!

I too am often amazed at what people on here know! Someone will ask a question, straight out of left field, not even about model aeroplanes, and there will be folks on here able to give knowledgable advice. Amazing! The only thing I think we haven't done so far is marrage guidance - but it wouldn't surprise me if we did that one day!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/05/2018 19:50:28

Thread: Model & Hobby World North West......
24/05/2018 19:14:48

My word, something potentially interesting in Morecambe! How will they cope? wink 2

BEB

Thread: Blackhorse Hurricane 46
23/05/2018 19:17:49

Well, we can do the calculation to find out!

Considering the 4s battery:

Nominal voltage 14.8v

The amount of charge in the battery would be 3 columbs per second for one hour, so that's 3x3600 Coulombs. Or 10800 Colombs.

The energy in the battery is given by the formula E=Q x V, E is the enegy, Q is the charge and V is the voltage. So that's E=10800 x 14.8 or 159.8kJ.

Now considering the 3s battery:

Noimal voltage 11.1v

The amount charge in this case is: 4x3600, or 14400 Coulombs.

So the energy stored is 14400 x 11.1, or 159.8kJ.

For a comparison suppose we need 500W from our model:

With the 4s that is 33.8A at that rate we have 3/33.8 hours flying, or 5.3mins

With the 3s the current needed to deliver 500W is 45A, at that rate we have 4/45, or again 5.3 mins - so endurance is the same. We don't get a gain.

And we will find the weight of the batteries will be very similar too. Because weight is governed by energy density and as both batteries are LiPo technology that will be th same.

But, and this is the point really, what I'm talking about is accepting a bit less power as a trade off against battery weight - say going to 450W and a 3s 3000mAh - now we can get significant weight savings for often little degradation in either performance or endurance.

BEB

23/05/2018 13:45:53

I think we have a tendancy to overpower models these days - because we can! Sometimes though dropping down a battery size actaully leads to a more flyable model - true the power is reduced, but so is the weight and with that the wing loading. The model doesn't need to land so fast, there is a bigger speed range overwhich the model can fly and perhaps most important of all you have more "spare lift" available in those vital turns on the approach circuit so less likelihood of flicking.

Something to think about?

BEB

Thread: Club Facilities
23/05/2018 13:32:40

I would expect nothing less from the fine band of upstanding gentlemen we have on Modelflying!

Upstanding being the operative word here perhaps?

BEB

23/05/2018 12:02:52

We have some trees, a stream and bushes behind us and a major hospital brimming with facities in front! Between the two we can usually satisfy most members needs!

BEB

Thread: Seagull DH-98 Mosquito engine choice
21/05/2018 22:39:21

Congratulations Danny - a well deserved sucess!

BEB

Thread: Scammer warning
21/05/2018 20:19:21
Posted by Ben B on 21/05/2018 14:08:57:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 21/05/2018 12:36:40:

I thought I would relate a recent experience - it's not a scam as such, but none-the-less it is (in my opinion) dishonest dealing and one to watch out for.

I ordered an expensive (~£350) ARTF from a model supplier via their website. This trader was not in the UK they were in Europe - in an EU country where I think you could be generally assured of fair dealing. I ordered from them because they were the only place I could find with the model in stock and it was marked as "in stock" on their site. No one else had this model and maybe that should have sounded alarm bells in my head. Anyway - I bought the model and paid, in full, via PayPal.

I received an email confirming my purchase and very quickly the item was marked as "dispatched" on my account page on the company's website. A week passed, I had no tracking number and no sign of the model. Mmmm? So I tried to contact the company, just to ask politely at this stage, when I might expect delivery. I tried their website contact page and their email address but with no joy. No one would answer. I even tried telephoning, but that just got a recorded message.

Now I'm quite concerned. We are two weeks in, I have paid but I have no model and no one is talking to me. So I decide to "kick" them into action, I start a compliant in PayPal. Now if you have done this you will know it is a two stage process; first they set up a "resolution centre" where you and the seller can discuss the issue and see if you can reach a mutually acceptable resolution. If not, the dispute goes to a full dispute and PayPal will arbitrate.

Boy! Instant response from the company - but not in the resolution centre - they send me an email directly. It says that they have the model but "cannot" dispatch it until I drop the PayPal dispute - then they will send it. They are not happy.

Now the problem here is if I drop the PayPal dispute I accept that the problem has been resolved and PayPal will not allow me to reopen it. That would mean I would be without any protection as a buyer at all. Given their previous lack of response I was not inclined to be trusting of this company. I could close the dispute, they don't send the model and there would be very little I could do about it! So I copied their email into the PayPal Resolution Centre (so there would be an official record) and refused their kind offer. I pointed out that they had my money and the model, that isn't the way things work normally! I gave an undertaking, in public in the Resolution Centre, that I would drop the dispute the instant the model arrived with me. No answer.

A number of days pass, I send notes though the Resolution Centre demanding either my money back or the model - no answer.

So, I issue an ultimatum, either they refund or dispatch by 17:00 CET the next day or I escalate this and go for full PayPal arbitration - which they will obviously lose. All I get back is an email repeating that they "cannot" dispatch while the dispute is open.

At 16:00CET the next day I remind them that they have just one hour before I press the button. At 16:40CET I received a notice from PayPal that they had refunded my money!

The big lesson to be learnt here I believe is always buy through a system that offers protection, PayPal or a Credit Card. If I had paid for this directly on my debit card - I'd have been sunk.

BEB

They actually wouldn't have had your money- Paypal would be holding in. As soon as someone opens a resolution centre dispute Paypal claim back the money and only hand it over once the dispute has been resolved. Hence, I suspect, their refusal to post until the dispute is resolved. Equally, if they'd posted when they said they had......... Strange that they did that via their own website though, on Ebay sellers do it (mark as dispatched before it actually is) because Ebay monitor how quickly things are marked as dispatched and them (as well as the 5 star feedbacks) decides on seller fees.....

Personally I believe the reason they wouldn't send the model had absolutely nothing to do with PayPal or the resolution centre (bear in mind they had already had two weeks since they marked as dispatched) - I believe the real reason was they didn't have it to send! They were stalling me while they tried to get one.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 21/05/2018 20:20:23

21/05/2018 12:36:40

I thought I would relate a recent experience - it's not a scam as such, but none-the-less it is (in my opinion) dishonest dealing and one to watch out for.

I ordered an expensive (~£350) ARTF from a model supplier via their website. This trader was not in the UK they were in Europe - in an EU country where I think you could be generally assured of fair dealing. I ordered from them because they were the only place I could find with the model in stock and it was marked as "in stock" on their site. No one else had this model and maybe that should have sounded alarm bells in my head. Anyway - I bought the model and paid, in full, via PayPal.

I received an email confirming my purchase and very quickly the item was marked as "dispatched" on my account page on the company's website. A week passed, I had no tracking number and no sign of the model. Mmmm? So I tried to contact the company, just to ask politely at this stage, when I might expect delivery. I tried their website contact page and their email address but with no joy. No one would answer. I even tried telephoning, but that just got a recorded message.

Now I'm quite concerned. We are two weeks in, I have paid but I have no model and no one is talking to me. So I decide to "kick" them into action, I start a compliant in PayPal. Now if you have done this you will know it is a two stage process; first they set up a "resolution centre" where you and the seller can discuss the issue and see if you can reach a mutually acceptable resolution. If not, the dispute goes to a full dispute and PayPal will arbitrate.

Boy! Instant response from the company - but not in the resolution centre - they send me an email directly. It says that they have the model but "cannot" dispatch it until I drop the PayPal dispute - then they will send it. They are not happy.

Now the problem here is if I drop the PayPal dispute I accept that the problem has been resolved and PayPal will not allow me to reopen it. That would mean I would be without any protection as a buyer at all. Given their previous lack of response I was not inclined to be trusting of this company. I could close the dispute, they don't send the model and there would be very little I could do about it! So I copied their email into the PayPal Resolution Centre (so there would be an official record) and refused their kind offer. I pointed out that they had my money and the model, that isn't the way things work normally! I gave an undertaking, in public in the Resolution Centre, that I would drop the dispute the instant the model arrived with me. No answer.

A number of days pass, I send notes though the Resolution Centre demanding either my money back or the model - no answer.

So, I issue an ultimatum, either they refund or dispatch by 17:00 CET the next day or I escalate this and go for full PayPal arbitration - which they will obviously lose. All I get back is an email repeating that they "cannot" dispatch while the dispute is open.

At 16:00CET the next day I remind them that they have just one hour before I press the button. At 16:40CET I received a notice from PayPal that they had refunded my money!

The big lesson to be learnt here I believe is always buy through a system that offers protection, PayPal or a Credit Card. If I had paid for this directly on my debit card - I'd have been sunk.

BEB

Thread: Any groundsmen out there?
19/05/2018 16:57:04

We had similar problems, especially some very ugly dips and hollows. We tried the mowing and rolling thing but it never really worked. In the end we had the whole strip ripped up, leveled and reseeded. I'm afraid its the only way in the long run. My thoughts would be to live with it this season and bite the bullet in October. It's worth it in the long run.

BEB

Thread: P51 forced landing Duxford 2017
19/05/2018 10:28:57

Yeap, interesting video - and asyou say some lessons for us in there too.

BEB

Thread: Radio systems
19/05/2018 09:55:29
Posted by cymaz on 19/05/2018 06:40:15:

Keep all your Rx and Tx batteries in good condition. Install the radio gear as per manual. If you have the ability put the Tx aerial in the correct position. I think these tips will successful in any radio brand.

Glen, above is the voice of wisdom and reason. Do that and any of the main brands will, in my opinion, perform well for you. I'm not saying your radio may not have a fault, but if it does its just down to that specific equipment I believe and not a generic fault with the brand. And in case anyone is wondering, no I am not Spektrum user, or even particularly a fan of the brand. But I don't believe it has some kind of inbuilt fault either. Take a look at our recent Tx poll, most crashes are in the hands of Spektrum users for the simple reason that they are the biggest selling brand!

Like Brian above I've seen a lot of crashes in my time (some of them at first hand!) and its not that common for a pilot to put his hand up and say "my fault - I screwed up". But the reality is, in my view, that is the number one reason for most crashes. Second would come dodgy installation; Rx's poorly installed, aerials badly positioned, using batteries that are on their last legs to save a few coppers etc. Third would come model failure - wing falls off etc. (don't laugh - think about it, its surprisingly common!) A very distant fourth these days, along with mid-air collisions etc., would come radio failure/fault - I believe its that rare.

So my advice would be: buy with confidence the brand that appeals to you and leave the conspiracy theorists to do their stuff. smile

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/05/2018 09:58:11

Thread: jeti
18/05/2018 08:11:30
It will not be competition with the Horus unless it can run OpenTX, which I very much doubt.
BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/05/2018 08:11:57

Thread: Calculating Washout
17/05/2018 22:12:40

We don't need by-standers escalating the temperature here thank you!

If this debate is to continue it will only do so if conducted in a polite and reasonable way. You can argue stongly for your position without indulging in personal comments. If we don't go forward that way then we don't go forward at all - we'll just close it.

Thank you for your help and cooperation

BEB

Thread: The Seagull has landed
17/05/2018 19:05:23

Nice Work!

It's always a bit "heart in the mouth" isn't it when you take the saw to the brand new out-of-the-box expensive model!! Well done for resolving to do the job properly and not bodge it because its easier in the short term.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/05/2018 19:05:59

Thread: Lanier-Giles 202
17/05/2018 11:56:47

The Giles 202 is a very pretty little aerobat Erf - should make a nice model. I'm not familar with the kit, what size is it?

BEB

Thread: Dead LiFe battery...
16/05/2018 20:33:39

No, I don't think so Rich. If it was already fairly well charged as a LiFe and you put it on the charger as a LiPo, its very unlikely the charger would reject that. A 2s Life with reasonable charge - ie not flat - could be at 6.6v, that quite acceptable to most chargers as a low voltage for a nearly, but not completely, discharged 2s LiPo.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/05/2018 20:34:32

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues