By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator

Here is a list of all the postings Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hello Everyone
04/12/2017 22:41:11

Welcome from me!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/12/2017 22:41:45

Thread: Acro Wot ARTF (balsa) chat
03/12/2017 17:55:36

I'd very surprised if that distorts Glenn. I have used that type of Studded Mounting on its own for lots of models and never had any problem with flexing once its tightened up.

BEB

Thread: Legislation Proposal at last
03/12/2017 17:24:25

If you are referring to the use of energy as a criterion then not strictly true Chris. If you examine the technical appendices of the lastest version of the ANO for example you will see that the guidelines for the use of BRS on larger UAVs are all expressed into of KE. Its been "in the wind" for some time now and not just with EASA.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/12/2017 17:37:42

Thread: Why We board Planes From The left Hand Side.
03/12/2017 17:13:12

Due to the prevailing wind direction (North Westerly) and the alignment of our strip most landing circuits for us are right handed - as is the "circuit of the day" of course. So our pilots learn to fly right handed circuits early!

Actually in all other respects the left hand circuit is easier at our field. There is a tree line that runs along the crosswind leg on the right hand circuit - quite close in - so you usually have to fly the crosswind parallel to and just in front of those trees. When you then turn onto finals you have quite short approach - which is why you can't really fly much above the cross wind trees as you would be too high on finals for the distance available. It's possible to get in from that height with flaps, but not really without, so you have to stay low and the last turn is probably done at about 20-25 feet altitude.

If on the odd occasion the wind is Easterly and so we can fly left hand circuits the approach can be much easier as without the trees you can take a long finals. But the funny thing is that, having perfected the short approach, most of us still fly it - even from the left. If I fly at another club people often comment on how short my approach lines are!

So I have never experienced "handedness" with regard to approaches - but I did have the problem with rolls when I was starting out doing basic aeros. I always preferred to roll to the right - it took a lot of disciplined practice for me to learn to be as comfortable rolling left as right. Similarly I used to prefer to stall turn to the right - again much effort went into making myself practice left hand stall turns!

Funny isn't it - the preferences we all have?

BEB

Thread: BMFA Online Membership portal open for 2018 membership renewals
02/12/2017 09:34:24
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 01/12/2017 23:44:46:

I am a Country member, signed up again the other day, I am in three clubs so don't want to show any favoritism. LOL

I love the stickers

Hi Tom,

I think we maybe at cross purposes! I am not talking about the BMFA circular sticker - I'm refering to the sheets of peel-off stickers with names, address and membership numbers that used to come with the club affiliation packs prior to the portal to allow membership secretaries to renew members without having to reenter everyone's details on the form.

BEB

01/12/2017 17:13:25

How true! Perhaps Petter and Chadwick weren't horsey types? smile

BEB

01/12/2017 16:34:36

As a slight aside, but closely related, isn't it interesting that many of the things we assume to be (and have always been) "that way" are in fact only conventions with little real need to be done that particular way.

For example I think I'm right in saying that on German aircraft right up to, and including, WW2 the throttle lever worked in the opposite sense to what we see as "normal" - ie to open the throttle you pulled the lever back. So, had Germany won the second world war would that have become the convention adopted by all? Probably. So it would seem that not only does the victor get the benefit of writing the history, he also gets to decide all the conventions!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/12/2017 16:36:20

01/12/2017 16:13:05
Posted by Martin Harris on 01/12/2017 15:52:22:

BEB's cavalry officers didn't have it all their own way - there were regular complaints during training that the rudder pedals worked the wrong way...horses respond to clues from the rider's position and turning involves moving the rider's body towards the turn - especially important while waving a sabre around with one hand. In other words, turning left involves the left leg retreating and the right leg going forward - the opposite of a rudder bar.

Yes, another interesting point. I suspect that was dictated purely by practical considerations of control cable runs from the ends of the rudder foot bar to the rudder control horns? To make it work "go-kart" style you'd have to cross the cables which adds to complexity (and probably weight).

BEB

Thread: BMFA Online Membership portal open for 2018 membership renewals
01/12/2017 15:49:52

Hi John

I bet when you were a kid you collected the cards with the PG Tips Tea as well and stuck them all in the album wink 2

BEB

01/12/2017 13:35:51

Yes - as the person who does the renewls for our club and deals with membership issues I have to say the BMFA Club Portal has been a real plus. Credit where it is due it s a step forward and a great benefit to those of us charged with this task - much better than the old sticker system!

BEB

PS See, I can find positive things to say about BMFA wink 2

01/12/2017 13:17:14

Mmm, interesting. But I have heard a different - and equally plausable! - explaination.

Early aircraft were of course single seaters. And early pilots were almost always accomplished horse-riders. Indeed the favoured recruiting ground for WW1 pilots was the calvalry - the theory being that the general althletism and sense of balance that mad a good horseman would also make a good pilot.

You always mount a horse from the left - various theories why including mounting whilst wearing a sword etc., but whatever the reason it is fact true to today that horses are always mounted from the left. And so, being horsemen, early pilots naturally "mounted" their single seat airctraft from the left. This has persisted. look at any photo of a pilot getting into fighter - WW1, WW2 or contemporary - and you'll almost always see they get in from the left.

By the time that aircraft grew in size to the point where several people were "mounting" the convention that you do so from the left was already well established.

BEB

Thread: Power Calculator announced in Dec 17 magazine
30/11/2017 14:53:31
Posted by PatMc on 21/11/2017 20:36:05:

David, don't bother it's pretty unrealistic. [IMO]

I'm surprised by that Pat. I have designed several electric conversions around this method, thay all fly well with sensible power levels and durations. Interestingly on one conversion that I blogged on here the method agreed well with results from Ecalc. Indeed when actual tests with a power meter where performed the power output this method predicted was significantly more accurate than E-calc's figure.

As no large and questionable assumptions are made in the model I can't honestly see how it can be "unrealistic" to be honest. Its idea of how much power is "enough" for different model types might be different from yours - but that's a question of preference not realism surely?

BEB

Thread: Drone flying ON an airfield
30/11/2017 10:17:04

We were doing 3D image scans of Halton Castle for the Trust a little while ago. The castle is on a hill 450 feet ASL and right on the approach to Liverpool John Lennon Airport's runway 27 - about 3-4 miles out from te threshold. But no problem, we just contacted Liverpool ATC the day before and got the OK for the flight provided we maintained a height below 200 feet. All they asked was that we rang them just before takeoff for clearance and we informed them when we were down.

The point of contacting ATC, although not a legal necessity in this case, is simple. If they know you are there, no problem. If however they don't and a pilot reports seeing you, then you have a potential problem. Especially if said pilot reports you as significantly closer than you actual are (which happens) and you become an "airprox"!

BEB

Thread: Good News from the BMFA AGM
24/11/2017 08:36:55
Yet more personal insults. I must be getting close!
I haven't said I have "the truth", all I have done is disagree with you and point out that your opinions carry no more factual basis than my opinions. But you obviously find that hard to take. Pathetic.
BEB
23/11/2017 23:20:54

Ah - so "His facts are just opinions - but my opinions are facts"! Classic.

As someone formally trianed as a reseach scientist and taught to identify lines of proof and evidence I see very little here - in any of the debate - that is proven fact! I do however see a lot of views and opinions - some of which are being passed off as more than they are!

BEB

Thread: From Lysander to Lightning
23/11/2017 21:41:47

Yes, I've read this, very good indeed.

BEB

Thread: Good News from the BMFA AGM
23/11/2017 20:05:56
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 23/11/2017 17:52:50:

Opinions aren't facts.

I heartly agree! Please keep it in mind!

BEB

23/11/2017 17:44:15
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 23/11/2017 15:32:37:

Lots of contributors to this thread seem blissfully unaware that one of the benefits of the NC is that it provides a reasonably central location for competitions to be held at.

Maybe Alan that has something to do with the fact that the vast, overwhelming, majority of BMFA members have no interest whatsoever in participating in competition and hence don't really see the facility to host it for the few that are interested as a particularly significant benefit?

It is also dissapointing that, as usual, any view that challenges is "ill-informed, ignorant, blissfully unaware". It's very easy to dismiss us as that Alan, but consider the fact that we might be rather more aware than many folk think - or are comfortable with! To quote John Dryden,... "Nor is the people's judgement always true, the most may err as grossly as the few".

BEB

Thread: September Special Issue
22/11/2017 23:05:15

Michael, I have moved your question about your subscription to here - where it will be seen by those you can help you!

BEB

Thread: Eric "Winkle" Brown
22/11/2017 20:47:11

I've seen it several times now, a very good programme - one to record and keep.

BEB

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues