By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator

Here is a list of all the postings Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Reccomend a M/R for some OLD lads to have a dabble
19/01/2017 08:37:21

Hi John,

well, er,...nice quad, but it most certainly doesn't fit within the description of the thread title!

That's a racing quad, small, fast, agile with an board FPV Tx. Yes all those things, but easy to learn MR flying skills on? Most definitely not! It would be a bit like like learning to drive in a high performance sports car - you can do it, but it sure ain't the easiest route!

BEB

PS It does have the NAZE32 flight controller which is one of the three I suggested.

Thread: Nigel Hawes Tucano
17/01/2017 22:15:14

Yes, I'll be following with interest. I don't do Depron, but its not because I think there is anything wrong with it! I enjoy watching Depron builds. smile

BEB

Thread: Spektrum Rx price hike???
17/01/2017 10:09:10

Well, that's it now - I'm selling all my FrSky stuff - I'm only in it for the cheap receivers. I mean £30 for an S-bus equiped, full telemetry, 16 channel receiver - I never did! smile p

BEB

Thread: Binding and updating
17/01/2017 10:06:31

Probably all 5 of them! smile

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/01/2017 10:06:49

Thread: RCM&E February 2017 issue
16/01/2017 19:33:39

To be fair Matt what the author actually says is:

"I have not been brave enough to chuck her off one of my many local coastal slopes, but Clive's original design has been slope soared sucessfully. I can't wait to hear that an experienced PSS pilot has sucessfully glided Babybolt and find out how she fared - do let me know if that pilot is you!"

I think that is fair comment. There is a clear indication that this is an unknown quantity to some extent and that experinece would be required to take this on.

BEB

Thread: Dihedral question
16/01/2017 19:23:33

Mmm, well I suppose it depends on the degree of taper. But from an aerodynamic point of view, even with the maximum taper likely to be possible, the effect would be very marginal. Yes, technically it is dihedral. No, is of very little practical value as such would be my view!

BEB

16/01/2017 00:46:16

Such is life Gangster! We can never be quite sure what unintended consequences our actions may have! smile o

BEB

15/01/2017 21:29:54

Hi Ron,

I took the precaution of using sanding sealer on the wood before applying the PolyC; result - no problems, no warps. It really was a pretty painless experience. You do need some patience though - more so than with epoxy resins - I think there was about 10 thin coats on the Tucano to get that that finish IFRC.

BEB

15/01/2017 21:25:49

Nor me Percy! It might be better now if we did get back on topic - before someone says something that might embarrass them - although possibly we're already too late for that,...smile

Back to Spekky recievers then,...

BEB

15/01/2017 20:41:45

Too young for you Donald - now behave yourself!

BEB

15/01/2017 20:26:20

Yes, another vote for light-weight glass cloth and water based resin. That Tucano of mind above was actually done that way; PolyC over 9oz cloth - albeit in that case on balsa. But agree, it could work very well on Depron. And its dead easy to use.

BEB

15/01/2017 20:18:42

If this wasn't so entertaining I'd be tempted to remind you all that you are way, way off topic!!

But hey, you seem to be having so much fun, and matron will be round with the Horlicks shortly - so I'm inclined to leave you all alone,...I'm off to bother someone else....wink 2

BEB

15/01/2017 17:05:54

The problem with that iqon is that "staright out of the box" tends to mean either

1. "a bit too toy-like" or

2. "have you condsidered remortaging the house?" wink 2

BEB

14/01/2017 21:36:24

Nigel's design does make up well, and the Tucano is a fine looking aeroplane - here's my take on it to whet your appetite fiurther to get on with a Depron version,....

tucano 98.jpg

Do keep us informed about ow it goes if you do decide to go ahead!

BEB

14/01/2017 18:14:34

Hi Geoff, yes a good choice I would say. The 450 is the quad the 550 is the hex version. Both use the V2 controller. It good quality kit, you will be able to put it all together - the instructions are clear and in reasonable English! I would recommend the 450 as a good intro to "serious" MR's as opposed to glorified toys! If you can afford it (or more accurately are prepared to pay a bit extra) the 550 id even better because of its higher lift capability. But it does cost around £350 as opposed to £250. Either is good - the 550 has more long term potential. For example, both will lift a GoPro camera on a gimbal no problem. But the 550 would lift a DSLR the 450 wouldn't - well not in standard configuration anyway! So it depends where you see yourself going.

My recommendation would be - get the 450 kit with the V2 controller and the GPS unit, you can do a hell of a lot with that! Photography, waypoint flying, general multi-mode MR flying in GPS-mode, Attitude hold mode, manual etc etc If in 12 months you want to lift bigger stuff for longer - well the market is moving so fast heaven knows what will be available then!

BEB

14/01/2017 13:10:11

I agree wholeheartedly FF. It is different, and that can be a bit scary and off-putting.

But in terms of actual difficulty? Well it comes in grades of course, but getting a well documented flight controller up and running is I think no more difficult than many other things we do routinely in the hobby. A bit of patience, read the instructions, look at the You Tube videos and maybe the odd pointer from on here and "bob's yer uncle", job done.

BEB

Thread: RCM&E February 2017 issue
14/01/2017 11:54:51

I know it went to press last week - so yes I would think you should see it early next week.

BEB

14/01/2017 08:50:52

There is always more that one way to skin a rabbit Colin! Which is one of the beauties of this hobby - multiple approaches are possible - all of which will do the job, with different "side benefits" in each case. You pays yer money, etc.

BEB

Thread: An Important Announcement from the Mod Team
14/01/2017 08:31:24

Bump

14/01/2017 00:32:18

Its a one-piece "shaped plank" wing with a pretty conventional fuselage design - so I, while I have little personal experience of Depron, from what I have seen I would have thought it would work very well - maybe a carbon wing-stiffener inset in?

BEB

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Overlander
Slec
CML
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?
Q: Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?

Dad
 Mum
 Partner
 Son
 Daughter
 Grandson
 Granddaughter
 Friends
 Other
 No-one else

Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues