By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Philflyer

Here is a list of all the postings Philflyer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Toe-in or toe-out?
02/02/2018 08:38:10

NormB. Many thanks for the link. 3 years ago I built a Mamselle 52 from the RCM&E free plan (June 2003) and, although a beautiful design (see my album), it is a beast on take-off and landing. Ground loops more often than not. I should mention that our club has a tarmac runway only and, in the interests of safety, a model must be steerable and taxi to and from the pilot area, so the Mamselle has a steerable tailwheel built into the sub-fin. Despite this benefit the ground loop is so rapid the steering is ineffective once the power comes on full. Toe out looks like the answer.

Edited By Philflyer on 02/02/2018 08:40:02

Thread: Magnets
16/01/2018 10:33:35

Stop it. My sides are aching!

AND i'm supposed to be working.

Edited By Philflyer on 16/01/2018 10:35:03

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
15/01/2018 09:09:35

I really like the old Aerospatiale helicopters so when I saw this scale Lama in Air-Zermatt colours for under £60 including tranny I couldn't resist it. Old tech - brushed motor and fixed pitch but good 3 axis gyros. I deal for scale flying indoors and I have flown it outdoors in a 6 mph wind. A good next step from a co-axial.lama wltoys.jpg

Edited By Philflyer on 15/01/2018 09:10:38

Thread: Repairing Fibreglass Mouldings
08/12/2017 11:12:23

Bert. Yes a balloon is good for putting pressure on a structure to hold it while setting - but inflated with a little water instead of air. Gravity does the pressure bit so it must be positioned well for it to work. I used it to repair a twinstar foam fuz with lightweight filler. Got the idea from something similar I did in the Falklands after the war to repair a (real) Phantoms wing . Used big rubbish bags taped together, laid over the top of the fibreglass repairs and covered with 10 cms of oil absorbing compound (like sand but bigger grains). It lasted until the fleet was scrapped many years later.

Thread: Scam
29/11/2017 15:14:39

For the last few weeks I have had daily scams trying to get details of my accounts in eBay, PayPal and Google accounts. What a surprise to find that Uber has had a major loss of customers data without owning up!!

Thread: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?
12/10/2017 15:32:19

I dont fit any of the voting options. Started with kits then a couple of veneered foam wing kits (almost ARTF) then mostly plans with a couple of modern ARTFs along the way. I bet there are a lot of others like me too. Can we have an option that just says "Started with kits then on to everything else"?

Thread: Autumn here...who's been flying ?
10/10/2017 15:53:21

keiths jet 3.jpgkeiths jet 2.jpgSouth Wales Radio Control Society. Sunday morning. 8 October. Keiths new jet.keiths jet 1.jpg

Brown trousers first flight! Right leg stuck up! Incredible flying by the chief test pilot Jeremy (or was it luck!) as it touched the runway. Leg popped down, lifted the wing and it locked. Phew!!

Edited By Philflyer on 10/10/2017 16:00:40

Thread: Heads Up
29/09/2017 12:53:56

Thanks for that BEB. Well worth mentioning.

Thread: Building board
12/09/2017 09:40:43

I have a 2 metre B&Q value worktop covered with wood fibre underlay (search on underlay for laminate floors). Takes pins easily, very flat and will last longer than me. Any cheap mdf will do for the base and the 5mm fibre board is £9.99 for 7 sq metres from Screwfix.

Thread: Hard to see?
16/08/2017 14:31:00

I agree with Don. I had a blue and white Sebart Shark for one season. Great in the sunshine but lost it on a grey windy day in the winter. I only do high vis now.

maestro complete 1.jpg

maestro complete 5.jpg

Thread: push rods threaded each end
15/08/2017 10:32:31

Big plus for the thin cyano locking. I've been using it for years but only discovered last week that you can release it with a soldering iron. blush

Thread: Maestro by John Wilson, Falkirk
10/08/2017 18:22:16

Hi John. So happy to hear you again. It's taken me a while to reply because I've been very busy with work and now on holiday in Croatia. The Tomahawk in thie picture is look into the future as mine is still on the building board. I'm very pleased with the kit from BillKits though. Very complete and good value. I have bought the new engine for the Maestro, an ASP 90 ringed I am converting to petrol and that's going well. I'll keep you posted as things progress.

07/07/2017 15:05:47

John. Thanks for posting this. A great design. My Mk 2 is still awaiting a board space. JW starred again and made a cowl and canopy for Percy Verance and myself after hearing of the disastrous maiden flight of my Mk1. I now have a new receiver and an ASP .90 ringed 2 stroke being converted to petrol. Your pic has stoked the fire again!

Thread: Essential RC's videos
13/06/2017 08:38:22

Really! These are the only vids of models worth watching in full screen at the moment. Top quality!

Thread: Which first kit?
12/06/2017 10:39:55

This was my DB Sport and Scale Mascot from their very good quality kit range. I know it looks like a trainer but this was my favourite 'do everything' aircraft. Very easy to build, semi-symmetrical wing, good trike u/c and tough as old boots. I pancaked mine 3 times while learning spins, until I found out you have to push the stick forward to get out of a spin, and the Mascot flat spins beautifully with the c of g rearwards. The only damage was broken props, bent landing gear and slight damage to the leading edge where the banded on wings had skewed and hit the fuselage. A bit skittish when inverted but only because I had built the wing with the amount of dihedral needed for a trainer. If you build one flatten it out a bit. I did not fit the very nice cowl that comes with it but it would look good with electrics. Notice the servos for elevator and rudder are in the rear fuselage to get the c of g back. You may not need this with lighter electrics. Mine eventually died after a Spektrum brown-out while doing inverted circuits at about 30 feet - not enough time to recover. It still would have been repairable but I was moving on to bigger petrol engines. Lots of other good advice above and the Seagull kits are innovative in construction and look great.

DB Mascot 1

Edited By Philflyer on 12/06/2017 10:45:28

Thread: Fedex tracking
24/05/2017 14:18:18

Martin. On behalf of the many who have already read this, or will, many thanks. The crucial info is noted. I will probably have forgotten it after I've slept but will probably remember where to look for it at least.

Thread: Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread
23/05/2017 12:50:09

Excellent advice. Thanks. I have a Bill Kits Tomahawk on the building board at the moment so those ideas will get used.

Thread: Civilian Coupe (1932)
23/05/2017 09:25:26

Tim, fabulous. Have the owners of the original seen it?

Thread: Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread
23/05/2017 08:56:54

Great Steve. Love the colours, very crisp. I did my first f/glass and paint job a couple of months ago and had a lot of trouble with the masking for the trim. The paint was always bleeding under, I had some success brushing a coat of Poly-C along the edge of the masking tape to seal it before spraying. That improved the line but wasn't perfect either. Have you had problems?

Thread: 3D Printers.
10/05/2017 11:33:19

I have an NGH 9cc petrol engine. This was not a good start with ‘gassers’ due to the very poor carburettor but was made to run with a Just Engines glow carb. It is now very reliable but the stability of the fuel metering could be improved by thermal isolation from the crankcase. All the makers of model petrol engines now fit a spacer between the crankcase and the carb that is made from some sort of plastic. I think one could be made with a 3d printer. Does anyone know if materials are available for use in a 3d printer that can withstand the temperatures that are likely to occur? I imagine it must be up to 300 degs C.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues