By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robert Parker

Here is a list of all the postings Robert Parker has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Design & Build Dornier Do 24
21/02/2018 23:12:51

Hi All,

Don't worry about a "float plane" she will be taking off from and landing on to the ground, take off's will be with the aid of a dolly and landing on her belly or should that be hull.

Last week I did consider getting a couple of glider retractable wheels but thought again when I saw the price of them surprise.

dsc09135.jpg

My own design Short Stirling just airborne on her maiden flight, the Dornier will take off from here and hopefully have a better maiden than the Stirling

Regards

Robert

Thread: Chris's Vicomte 1916
21/02/2018 18:28:43

Hi Chris,

Coming along nicely,

Gaston and you are doing a fine job.

Regards

Robert

21/02/2018 18:25:58

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info on paper covering.

Build is coming on nicely, will keep you all posted.

Regards

Robert

18/02/2018 19:30:13

HI All,

Tony, yes she is very curvatiuos indeed it took quite a bit of soaking the planking strips to flow around the framework.

Thank you Chris, elegance and hopefully gracious in the air when the day comes for the maiden.

Adrian, thank you I do think it is developing a wow factor.

I first came across the Dornier Do 24 in a flight simulator as an add-on I cannot recall which one, quite likely to be one of MS flight simulators.

I have made a start on the sponsons fairly straight forward as well as the block at the rear of the rear step of the hull.

i'm starting to think about covering the model and toying with using brown paper, but having not used it in the past. I have also read that it shrinks a lot and a little doubtful with it on the fuselage not wanting a "starved horse" effect but wanting a strong finish.

Any ideas or personal experiences??

Regards

Robert

Thread: Best Plane You Have Owned
18/02/2018 08:19:55

Flair Astro Hog with an os 52fs was my first low winger loved to fly it until it's sad demise. Ripmax extreme irvine 46 still going strong. Just to name a couple

Regards

Robert

17/02/2018 17:26:55

Hi All,

Planking, planking, planking, planking and sanding sums up this weeks work

dsc03924.jpg

I made a temp support from an orange box to help support the structure

dsc03925.jpg

The hardest part done

dsc03926.jpg

Battery bay made

dsc03928.jpg

Now for the underside

dsc03929.jpg

I was not too happy with a couple of the former spacing so I made a couple more to support the planking

dsc03931.jpg

Once you get going it comes along quickly

dsc03933.jpg

Finally when dry sand, sand and sand again, apparently whilst I was sanding we had a 4.2 earth tremor with it's epicentre just 7 miles away, did not feel a thing to involved in sanding.

dsc03934.jpg

Must admit looking good. I have left out the centre section of the fuse underside planking off for now so I can wire up later.

Next, sponsons.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 17/02/2018 17:31:48

Thread: Balsa USA Sopwith Pup 1/6 scale
17/02/2018 08:06:52

Hi Simon,

I managed to get some linen solartex from steve webb last friday, not sure if they still have any left.

As for the aluminium aluclad from flair if memory serves me correct from sussex model centre.

I have used it in the past it is a bit tricky to put on but the results as great or you could try some chrome iron film

Regards

Robert

15/02/2018 17:42:18

Hi Chris,

Sometimes it just needs a fresh pair of eyes with a problem or just leave it for a while and go back to it.

Regards

Robert

15/02/2018 17:42:16

Hi Chris,

Sometimes it just needs a fresh pair of eyes with a problem or just leave it for a while and go back to it.

Regards

Robert

15/02/2018 09:43:10

Hi Chris,

What about introducing a second wing bolt to the front of the wing and gluing some ply across the fuselage to take the captive nut,(I did this on my Taube) and make the front section of the "Red" balsa as a hatch utilising the dowel and held by a magnet at the rear.

Your solution of modifying "F2" to take the wing dowel would also work.

Although it is a little difficult to "see" from just the side elevation alone

Regards

Robert

Thread: Solarfilm
15/02/2018 09:29:20

Hi Jon,

As a father of an 12 year old and I totally agree with you.

Last summer I started to teach him to fly on a Flair Cub, he took to it quite well and can manage some circuits on his own, due to the weather we only had a few chances last year. He took some interest in the pre-flight checks and assisted in the range check. As the Cub is very light and here in South Wales it does tend to get a bit breezy I decided that we could build a Global Kits Cessna together, very early on in the build he lost interest with pc games drawing he attention. Cessna now waiting maiden flight, he does want to have a go at flying it. Maybe once we get to the field his willingness will return.

As for putting things together as you say if it cannot be mastered at the first attempt, I had to make some gifts he had for Christmas's past just cannot be bothered, just waiting for the teenage years to kick in.

Regards

Robert

11/02/2018 10:10:33

Hi All,

Thank you for your kind comments, not too sure about a "Master Class" though, just pushing my ability a little at a time.

I'm just an average modeller hoping that one day to pass his "B" test.

Regards

Robert

10/02/2018 16:41:38

Hi All,

It's been a difficult week for me, my sciatica has returned again so I'm off work again, but unable to stand or sit for very long so my modelling has been done in short bursts until the pain is too much. I have also had tried aquapuncture for the first time to try to help but still not much improvement with two sessions or am I trying to rush it. Plus to assist the pain relief some red wine has been administered, not really recommended but it helps for a relatively good nights sleep.

I have fixed the cabane struts in place and epoxied the bolts so hopefully nothing is going to move there. The sponsons support tubes guides are fixed in place started planking the fuselage and fixed the tail group in position.

dsc03916.jpg

dsc03921.jpg

Setting up the sponson guides needed a little fettling to get the tubes parallel with each other and square to the fuselage. Once happy the guides were epoxied in place.

dsc03918.jpg

Jumping ahead slightly, I placed the sponson ribs in place, roughly spaced, and I was pleased that they lined up nicely all bar one which needed a slight adjustment and they aligned with the fuselage side being just above the chine line.

dsc03922.jpg

An odd angle of the top of the fuselage facing towards the bottom of the picture, planking started with a block glued in front of the stabiliser seat. The planking has been soaked in water and then persuaded around the compound curve and are fitted in pairs to try to avoid twisting the fus. This part of the planking is going to take some time until I get around the compound curve.

I finally made a decision on how / where to mount the elevator servo. I was hoping to keep it hidden but I settled for just the arm and linkage showing.

dsc03923.jpg

I realised today that I needed to glue in place the tail group as it would be difficult to get it set up correctly by keeping the fuselage centre square to the worktop and taking measurements at both ends again a little fettling of the seat was needed to get the measurements equal.

Next, carry on planking and run in some pull cords for the rudder, elevator servos and power cables.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

09/02/2018 19:35:28

Hi David,

I am quite partial for the odd bottle of red now and again, but alias I am not the wine conoisseur you speak of, but I wouldn't mind giving it a go, I'm not too bad on the Tesco range. I have some of my best ideas after I've shared a bottle with my good lady well they seem good at the time.

Regards

Robert

09/02/2018 08:17:12

I could eat that no problem yes

Regards

Robert

Thread: Solarfilm
08/02/2018 17:46:46

Thanks Jim,

Had a phone call this afternoon from Servo Shop saying they had just taken a delivery of new stock today so I confirmed my order and delivery next monday, thanks for letting me know yes

Regards

Robert

07/02/2018 21:16:20

Supplies are drying up.

I got lucky with some Solartex, olive drab for my Flair SE5a but cannot get any Linen or Antique for my Brisfit, being told it on back order.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 07/02/2018 21:39:26

05/02/2018 20:49:49

Hi Chris,

Coming along beautifully and built to a high standard of craftsmanship,

looking forward to seeing the rest of the build keep up the good work

Regards

Robert

05/02/2018 20:42:21

Thank you both, it is taking hold of me, as they do, all those curves, planking them well that could be interesting to say the least.

I have another subject in the pipeline which I have started drawing but still in the very early stages plus another subject just keeps popping up in to my mind.

Regards

Robert

05/02/2018 16:46:57

Hi All,

Well this last week has been a bit slow in progress with one step forwards and three back. That said, the fuselage has been joined and the cabane struts made and made again and again, finally got there as well as changing from steel to aluminium, a considerable weight saving.

So not too many photos this time

dsc03863.jpg

FAIL

dsc03864.jpg

Attempt no1, the first bend went OK but when I formed the second it pulled the base shorter, try again. Metalwork is not my strong point.

dsc03917.jpg

Attempt 3, much easier to form using the aluminium, these are just sitting in place.

Since the photo was taken I have positioned these correctly and bolted them in place and wedged a ruler across the top and checked for alignment with the fuselage centre, spot on. Then removed them and glued up the sides then had to place the struts in position whilst offering up the sides and then clamping up the sides.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues