By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Devcon1

Here is a list of all the postings Devcon1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: P51 forced landing Duxford 2017
19/05/2018 21:43:03

A fascinating and informative watch. Interesting to note how he forces himself to do spin recovery and deadsticks on a routine basis, prepare for the worst.

Thread: Radio systems
19/05/2018 17:48:23
I used a DX6i and DX8 G1 for many years and both were faultless. I changed to FrSky for price, telemetry and programming flexibilty. Choose what suits your pocket and needs. Like cars nobody makes bad radio gear.

Edited By Devcon1 on 19/05/2018 17:51:22

Thread: How to pass the time when charging Lipos?
10/05/2018 13:31:34

Because I charge them on a kitchen worktop I don't leave them unattended, I generally do a bit of tinkering or plastic kit production.

What I have found myself doing is to take a long hard look at a particular model and check all the little details that even normal maintenance would not pick up.

However, to minimise this time I have this setup which works a treat.

p1050387.jpg

Thread: Spring 2018 is here...been flying?
06/05/2018 16:59:27

A rather pleasant day at our strip.

A little more fun with the Fun Cub. Dynam Bombs from HK filled with Popcorn which produced quite an effective impact display.

fcubbomb.jpg

Thread: Greenacres MAC Fly Ins 2018
04/05/2018 16:57:39
Some thoughts here that I can identify with. I attended a Greenacres event some while back and thoroughly enjoyed meeting some people and watching other people fly a range of fascinating models by people on my level.I wasn't prepared to be an unwilling audience to some people's egos and big 3D models, now I'll go to Weston Park and embrace it but I went to GA for something different. Not taking anything away from the great guys and girls from the club and their boundless enthusiam and friendliness.
Thread: Horus X12S
01/05/2018 13:10:18

Anybody live down that way ?

01/05/2018 13:06:03

**LINK**

Anybody live down that way ?

Thread: 4,57 M. ASK 18 from RCeurope, maiden
30/04/2018 19:50:36

Fabulous model with a great video. A rather nice flying site a well.

Thanks for posting

Thread: The shape of things to come.
26/04/2018 19:45:42
Correction. I meant a 10 minute flight FPV with a spotter.
26/04/2018 17:12:22
I was a bit misleading when I implied flying VLOS was OK. I was talking about a situation where I was dipping below a hedge line in an adjoining field no more than 30 metres away. I guess a technical infringement but not more than a few fractions of a second in a ten minute flight in LOS via the spotter. The field is remote and under our control.
26/04/2018 12:25:05

In some legal FPV flying environments but with some obstacles like trees and bushes, where you are flying on private land and in full control of the people and environment can the 915 Mhz band provide a better radio link than 2.4Ghz ?

Thread: BBC Weather
25/04/2018 22:12:35

I've given up making any plans more than 24 hours out from any of the forecast providers.

I noticed the Chief Executive of the Met Office was told to stand down in March, I bet he didn't forecast that.

Although they lost the BBC forecasting contract, if you see any weather warnings on the BBC it will reference the Met Office as they still supply the "Severe Weather Warning" element.

Thread: FrSky X10 - Taranis replacement?
18/04/2018 12:39:37

Tony,

I had a quick play with the FrSky OS, it looked completely useable and quite interesting but as I'm converted to OpenTx I flashed it fairly quickly, no negatives.

Thread: NEW POLL! The 2018 Transmitter Survey!
17/04/2018 07:46:27

I don't thing FrSky are being "hyped" on this forum but I do accept there is a certain evangelistic feeling expressed by some users, I certainly include myself in that category.

For some weird reason and maybe it's just me but FrSky engenders a real affection/connection with the equipment that I've not experienced before.

My Spektrum stuff is fine and is still used but my Taranis feels much more personal and connected to me. Now maybe that's because I've invested some time in it with a speaker and hall sensor stick upgrades, maybe because it's such a liberating system to use or somehow FrSkys culture of passion for their products and being different and less corporate, who knows.

I think KC mentioned the difference in marketing/advertising between Graupner and Frsky, now this might seem weird but are there any similarities to Wetherspoons who have announced they are dropping all social media activity and external advertising and building there business purely on customer experience and word of mouth. They are certainly a love them or loathe them company with commited "Spoonheads" who have huge loyalty and express it.

I don't get a feeling Beefeater, whilst a great product and market share has the same effect.

Edited By Devcon1 on 17/04/2018 07:47:33

12/04/2018 19:12:41

I guess if money was no object, (when I win the lottery) the Powerbox Systems Core transmitter would certainly be on my shopping list, a very highly specified bit of kit and it does look rather special.

Maybe one to add to next years survey.

10/04/2018 23:19:41

I think where Spektrum/Horizon have cleverly reaped a reward is the Bind & Fly market which hooked quite a few in, me included in the past.

But conversion to Frsky was a push pull affair. Spektrum pushed me away with an overly expensive telemetry/Rx offer and for me I began to struggle setting up more complex models on my DX8.

FrSky pulled me in with great value hardware, a fantastic range of telemetry sensors. I saw OpenTx as an opportunity to learn something new and challenge myself a bit. I'm no techie and did have to seek some help early days but it was so rewarding and I could not imagine being without it now.

I still quite happily use my old DX8 with a couple of legacy models and it's never missed a beat so no negatives but for me and my wallet FrSky/OpenTx has been a revelation.

Thread: Across the Channel in 80 minutes......
09/04/2018 20:45:23

Excellent effort, sounds like great fun. Thanks for putting the video up..

Thread: NEW POLL! The 2018 Transmitter Survey!
09/04/2018 19:01:44

You must be psychic Ron Gray, I got distracted writing my post and saw your one pop up after I submitted mine.

09/04/2018 18:57:56

It's looking interesting with some emerging trends .

I'd be curious if the question " What Brand of Transmitter Have You Purchased in the last Year" was posed at some point in the future as an additional indicator.

Or would the results be much the same ?

Yes, I am bored, Its chucking it down with rain here in Devon. The only days I could fly I've committed to other things so thanks to this great forum, a shed tidy and plastic kit build I've managed to keep busy.

Thread: Your Transmitter History
07/04/2018 22:13:45
Hi Josip. I hope not to need another transmitter any time soon but looking at these posts I think the writing is on the wall no matter how brilliant, cutting edge, bees knees, the latest etc there will always be something better and thank goodness for that..
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues