By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martyn K

Here is a list of all the postings Martyn K has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Amateur Radio operators?
19/09/2017 13:15:24

Data modes don't really interest me TBH. CW and phone are OK but I really object to using the 'internet repeaters' if they still exist.

Thanks anyway

Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
19/09/2017 11:27:38

D16 Bob. I only use D8 for VII receivers and I definitely didn't select the wrong model..

I have never power cycled the transmitter before but I did think that after deleting that model from the memory it is perhaps something I should have done.

I am still very puzzled about this..

Thread: OpenTx - Questions and Problems
19/09/2017 11:15:23
Posted by Martyn K on 19/09/2017 10:35:09:

Back to my problem. (I should have created a separate thread)

I checked the transmitter last night. Definitely no weird mixes involving the throttle. The only thing I can think of is that while I was selecting the model, I spotted a duplicate (for a different model) just above the model I wanted to fly, so I deleted it. Whether that caused a corruption somehow I don't really know but that is the only odd thing that I had done.

Martyn.

Sorry - posted on the wrong thread... Doh

19/09/2017 11:01:16

Sorry - just realised I posted this on the wrong thread - sorry.

I checked the transmitter last night. Definitely no weird mixes involving the throttle. The only thing I can think of is that while I was selecting the model, I spotted a duplicate (for a different model) just above the model I wanted to fly, so I deleted it. Whether that caused a corruption somehow I don't really know but that is the only odd thing that I had done.

Martyn.

Thread: OpenTx - Questions and Problems
19/09/2017 10:35:09

Martyn.

Thread: Amateur Radio operators?
19/09/2017 10:31:17

G0CZD. Before that I was G6XUF. First licensed in 1983. RAE and 12wpm Morse test.

Haven't been active since I became deaf.. Still fancy getting back into it but I would only do HF QRP now. I was very interested on Microwaves (1GHz and higher) and was a founder of the UKuG (UK Microwave Group)

Martyn

Thread: The 2018 Mass Build Ideas thread
18/09/2017 10:56:37
Posted by Lucas Hofman on 18/09/2017 06:43:57:
Posted by Martyn K on 15/09/2017 12:53:55:

I would prefer the PM Dalotel as a scale model. Its an excellent flier and I already have the plans..

Martyn

Looks nice Martyn. Can you upload or mail me the plan you have?

Regards, Lucas

I don't have a digital copy unfortunately. I bought the plans and article from Traplet nearly 2 years ago. Its on my list of things to build.

The CAP20L was a free plan in RCM&E in March 2014 issue I think.

Martyn

Thread: An aeromodelling moment.
18/09/2017 09:17:24

{Like}

18/09/2017 09:14:55

Hi Chris

It was very strange. It took me a while to fathom out what was happening.

I flew 2 more models after this incident with no radio problems at all. I still think its a receiver issue but its not a short circuit, i.e altering the elevator didn't result in a corresponding throttle change.

There was nothing loose inside, the model was well assembled. However, there were a few loose bits after the arrival..

18/09/2017 08:07:15

Hi Dave

Apologies. The model has been in use for nearly 3 years I think. Up until yesterday, it was faultless. I haven't added any mixes of that nature, so I assume that there was some form of coupling between the throttle (ic) and the elevator.

Very strange, Rx was/is an X6R but I probably wont use it again unless I find a cause

Martyn

17/09/2017 20:58:50

Well, I have had my first genuine Taranis fail today

Flying my Meteor and a very unusual fault. Basically, I had a mix throttle to elevator.

It became obvious there was a problem at take off as on full throttle the model was severely over elevated. Of course when I throttled back to crusing velocity all appeared ok. Opening the throttle and a handful of down elevator needed to keep it level.

Not thinking this through, I then used my programmed throttle cut to kill the engine and attempt a dead stick landing. Big mistake. This resulted in copious amounts of down elevator being added and before I had worked out what I done the model had buried itself. Repairable but it will never be the same again as the glass fus was badly cracked.

Of course when I got to the model everything was working ok and no evidence of any interaction.

Any thoughts about this anyone?

Martyn

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
15/09/2017 21:43:10
You have no idea how hard a lot of people worked to try and avoid what happened.

And you have no idea how hard people are working to get the kits, plans and parts back up and available.

Whover cuts the 'alternative' kit should be ashamed. One day it might be you in trouble...

I am intrigued how you know so much about the resurrection of thevex Traplet kit business. Do you have an interest in the new Sarik venture?

I am 100% with Danny on this. I am approaching retirement and i placed orders for two complete sets totalling just less than ?300. I am not wealthy but i paid by Debit card. There is no guarantee that i will get refunded and anyway, why should the bank refund me for what was an honourable transaction. The modelling industry is small in the scheme of things and the outstanding orders should have been processed, not because there was an obligation to do so but as a gesture of good will.

Its not us that should be ashamed, its Sarik directors, they must have known the company was in a mess but still continued to accept orders even though they would never get completed.
15/09/2017 12:53:55

I would prefer the PM Dalotel as a scale model. Its an excellent flier and I already have the plans..

Martyn

10/09/2017 21:36:54
Hi all
Apologies for the delay responding, but just back from my holidays last week and been catching up.

Currently we have two options for laser cut parts and i have also started work on converting the plan to CAD. However, I am making minor changes to suit my construction preferences - for example using hollowed lite ply ribs and the rear formers in lite ply rather than birch ply. Construction will essentially be the same though although i am tempted to have a 2 or 3 piece wing. I dont want to deviate too much though as that would detract from the build.

However, there is no rush. I expect my cad work to be finished some time next month and i will share this for comment.

I think the spinner could be made from fibreglass using an alloy back plate. Getting the balance right may be a challenge though. Jury is still out on the cowl but i think this could be easily planked. I need to get some cross sections so that i can get intermediate formers drawn up as well.

Please remember this is not all Dannys problem, we need to sort the problems as a team.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 10/09/2017 21:51:25

Thread: Steve Dunning R.I.P.
10/09/2017 11:32:01

Hi all

It is my very sad duty to inform you that UKCAA Founder and ex Chairman Steve Dunning passed away last night after a lengthy illness.
I'll pass on more information as it becomes available but in the meantime, my thoughts are with his Wife and Son, Sue and Matt, at this very difficult time.
Martyn
08/09/2017 16:51:04

Thanks David. Tha's very helpful

Martyn

07/09/2017 14:15:59

Thanks Martin.

I wondered why I couldn't find the info

07/09/2017 11:38:45

can anyone provide me with a URL for the Fury page at Sarik? I cant find it..

Thanks

Martyn

07/09/2017 09:27:09

Get your thinking caps on, we normally start detailed discussions sometime early October. However, there are no reasons why you cant start suggesting your preferred build.

Martyn

Thread: Dive test - someone explain it to me!
05/09/2017 15:42:11

Caveat, I am no expert, these are just my personal ramblings..

I use the dive test for trimming. Basically climb to about 300 feet and shut the throttle. Slow the model right up and just before it stalls push the nose down to about 60 degrees. Hands off the sticks and watch what happens.

The type of response that the model will perform depends on the type of model.

A WW1 type biplane should initially start to tuck under then as the speed increases will fairly quickly level off. A trainer type or Warbird with semi symmetrical wing section and a bit of decalage will do the same but take longer to pull up. An aerobatic model with a 0/0/0 setup should basically track straight and simply build up speed until you chicken out and grab the transmitter.

By observing the dive from different angles you can check:

1. It doesn't yaw. Banana Fus

2. It doesn't roll. Twisted wings or lateral imbalance.

3. The decalage is about right for the type of model and the response that you see.

You can also do an inverted dive test which will sort out lateral balance problems. A twisted wing will always roll in the same direction, a model with poor lateral balance will roll with heavy wing going down.

Obviously, you need to be confident that the servos do centralise consistently and correctly. No backlash or slop or hysteresis.

You shouldn't have to tweak anything to get it to dive in a straight manner. If you end up adding a click or two of aileron then all you are doing is altering the wing profile which will have different effects at different velocities.

It doesn't help counter the effect of propwash or engine torque. You can mix in different corrections for different throttle settings, but I don't think Elevator should be touched when it is set up.

I don't think it helps set the CG. It just proves that model is built accurately for its intended purpose.

Positioning the CG become more important when you want to set the sensitivity of the controls, it needs to be far enough back so the model will stall correctly (for a spin) and not too far forward so that elevator sensitivity becomes affected at slower speeds.

I now prefer my aerobatic models to be neutral. i.e I need to hold a little up to keep it level when the canopy is up and a similar amount of down when inverted.

So, that's why I think the dive test is useful..

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 05/09/2017 15:45:40

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
CML
SHREK
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us