By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martyn K

Here is a list of all the postings Martyn K has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Taranis Failsafe
25/07/2017 07:00:12

I prefer to set the flying surfaces to Hold and the throttle to idle for failsafe. I don't think you can do that from the receiver

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
24/07/2017 18:29:36
More on Traplet. I have written to the administrator. I'll update if I get a response.
https://m.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2829198

Martyn
Thread: Mama Mia!
24/07/2017 15:22:10

Thanks Simon..

I am using 6mm Depron for the ribs. The plan shows no shear webs at all on the tailplane so these have been added to the 3 inner bays each side. No problem adding them across the full span - just trying to save those grams and the target kg will hopefully look after itself.

24/07/2017 14:23:45

Hi John

Yes, I am aware of that method. The way I saw it written, it involves gluing strips of blue foam at the correct rib spacing then cutting as normal using a bow with templates at each end, build the top half then cut the lower section, flip the wing and complete (IIRC)

I did think of doing that with this model but I didn't have any blue foam.

I may try that on my next slope soarer though

Thread: FrSky X10 - Taranis replacement?
24/07/2017 13:39:31

I like the Black and Gold...

I liked the internal aerial on my Futaba T8J, however I also agree that although ergonomically its great but from a radiation point of view there are better locations.

Thread: Mama Mia!
24/07/2017 13:03:39

Thanks John

Not sure what a laser construct looks like, but I am planning on building the wing the same way as the tailplane (foam ribs replacing balsa ribs). What is the difference?

24/07/2017 11:58:52

A bit of a lull in the build program. I managed to wreck my 61 powered Kwik Fli IV a couple of weeks ago when the tailplane failed in flight (again). Although the decent was quite gentle, the rock that final stopped the decent wasn't and the model (and engine - which took the impact) destroyed itself..

So I need a replacement. I have always fancied this, it was featured on the cover of Model Builder (American mag) back in 1982 and there were two things that immediately appealed to me. Sadly the young slim model was one of them.. <sigh>

mbuilder.jpg

The other model is huge compared with other models of the era. But compare the outline with a modern F3A (monoplane) and you have

- A highly swept back wing

- A long moment arm

The tailplane looks a little big but that will keep it stable, maybe a bit ponderous

A plan was procured and the specs off the plan look like this.

specs.jpg

That 11lb AUW with a big wing and draggy fuselage - even powered by a hot 61 looks a little excessive, so my plan is to replace the Rossi with a Webra Speed 91 with pipe, which hopefully will make the performance more or less similar to other models of the era. I am also going to try and shed at least 2lbs off the weight with careful wood selection and removal of some of the excess. There is a lot of wood - especially in the fuselage in this model.

One other change is that the wing ribs will be cut from 6mm Depron. Simply because I cant afford the amount of balsa required for the wing ribs.. There will be other lightening efforts as well during the build, but hopefully I will end up with a nice flyable model that is in character.

So my first attempts with Depron and the tailplane

I have never used Depron before so it was a case of taking things very steadily., clamping all parts together while the glue dries and constantly testing the strength of the assembly .

tailplane1.jpg

Starting from the centre section, spars cut and pinned down and the first 3 ribs installed and allowed to dry. Using PVA for this which seems to be working well. The lower side of the tailplane is built flat so there will be a little effective anhedral

tailplane2.jpg

So far so good

tailplane3.jpg

One thing I did notice is that the Depron has springiness. So pushing the spars into a well fitting slot results in the Depron pushing the spar back out again...

Hey ho..

tailplane4.jpg

Elevators are assembled in the same way except built directly onto the sheet. All going together well but a little more slowly as I am letting the glue dry thoroughly before moving to the next step.

tailplane5.jpg

Tailplane and elevators just about completed after planing and carving and sanding the excess wood away. A little weight has been saved by using cap strips behind the spar instead of fully sheeting the tailplane. Hinge slots have been cut and its ready for covering.

I have also cut out one set of wing ribs for the wing. To give some idea of the size of this here is a shot of the paper templates laid out on the Depron.

wing1.jpg

That's a 1m rule at the back..

So far so good...

More to come

Martyn

Thread: Kwik Fli 40
24/07/2017 09:22:01

Err

Regarding the Fus, a doubler is shown on the plan from just to the rear of F6 to the tailpost.. I agree - dont skip it

Regarding your clevis. Just check you havent put a UNC (Goldenrod) clevis on an M2 rod...

Martyn

20/07/2017 13:40:04

I am definitely in as well Andy. Personally, at this moment in time, I more concerned about the potential loss of money (I ordered two parts kits at the same time so I have double the risk exposure).

If we go it alone, then I am happy to get plans and 3v printed for anyone and shipped to you. (err- at your cost)

I already have a plan 'B' for this model which was suppressed by going the Traplet parts route.

However, I suggest that we leave it a month and see what happens with Traplet. There was a suggestion on another post that they will be obliged to fulfil any outstanding orders (by the receivers). I am not sure if that is the case but its worth waiting to find out.

Best wishes

Martyn

Thread: UKCAA visit to Retford MFC
20/07/2017 13:23:17

Another superb day. Weather started cool and cloudy and a little breezy but improved as the day went on so we got wall to wall sunshine by mid afternoon. Add that to a free BBQ, free tea and coffee and one of the best flying fields in the country, you could not wish for better. With 30 classic airframes being flown (I think we had 15 members turn up for the event). Many thanks to Retford MFC for hosting this event once again.

No contest this time, but we did have a draw for the "Pilots pilot" and 'Best turned out model'. Sam Wragg won the flying award and Shelley Redworth won the concours event.

Some photos

pict2792.jpg

Shelley's recently restored Chevron

pict2794.jpg

Minty - a member of the breakaway 'Team Bullet' sub culture.

pict2796.jpg

pict2800.jpg

pict2804.jpg

pict2809.jpg

pict2816.jpg

A bit blurred sorry. Adams Super Lightening

pict2823.jpg

pict2841.jpg

Sam and Shelley - prize winners

pict2838.jpg

Not a bad turn out at all..

As someone said about our events on Facebook

"I think what makes these events special, is the great friendship between everybody"

If you fancy coming along to fly or to watch you would be very welcome.

Next event is at Watford on the 13th August..

Thread: Traplet
20/07/2017 11:53:59

I hope you are right John, I placed orders for 2 packs on the same day. At the moment I have a risk of nearly £300..

Thread: Atlas Plans
20/07/2017 09:35:51

Try Aerofred.

Atlas 60

Good luck

Martyn

20/07/2017 09:03:07

There is a Hawker Fury quarter scale build blog on RCSB. Although its not this particular model/plan, it has lots of interesting assembly photos. I am sure there will be ideas that we can steal as well.

You will need to become an RCSB member to view it but the basic level is free.

RCSB Hawker Fury 1

Lets just hope that Traplet get their orders fulfilled...

Edit- its 125 pages long.. very detailed

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 20/07/2017 09:30:17

Thread: Martyn's Chippie RCAF 671
18/07/2017 09:34:22

Thanks Colin

I was aware of some of the differences between the Canadian and UK versions although not in the detail you have just explained. The aircraft is the OW example, but I am unsure of its history. I am hoping to get down to OW to have a look at it, but its unlikely I'll get down before I am committed to more scale detail..

Still working on the panel lines BTW, I am struggling to get the m right. One of the problems I have is that there appears to have been small air pockets in the filler so getting lots of little dents that need filling. I tried knifing putty last night but its not been quite as successful as I would have hoped...

So - still plodding along. Cant see it being finished for the Ashbourne autumn scale day though..

Martyn

Thread: Tiger Tail
18/07/2017 09:15:07

I'll be watching this with interest. Good luck

Martyn

14/07/2017 21:41:18
See if this works Chris
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/283937951485567346/

Edited By Martyn K on 14/07/2017 21:45:19

14/07/2017 14:15:33

Not the best scan in the world - sorry. The PDF creation and compression has made it worse unfortunately

PS - please be patient, it make take a few minutes to appear... Just click once and it will open in a new tab (he says while checking the server log files)

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 14/07/2017 14:28:38

14/07/2017 14:04:57

A new booklet arrived today. Now scanned and available if anyone wants a copy..

scanz.jpg

Download here.. (just don't tell anyone)

Best wishes

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 14/07/2017 14:06:31

Thread: SCEN Puma 3
14/07/2017 10:17:25

he he.. Yes I can see that it was challenging. A very neat solution though. How difficult is to engage the ball link when you remove or insert the wing?

Those goldbergs are very neat BTW

Martyn

14/07/2017 09:51:22

Coming on very nicely. I like the retract mechanism video. What retracts and servo did you use?

Martyn

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
SHREK
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
CML
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us