By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Don Fry

Here is a list of all the postings Don Fry has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: First build
23/02/2018 20:09:42

Robert, I admire your courage. No one here is laughing at you. We have been there. But advice. Get opinions, before you spend money. Because leccy is technical, and there are better sources of knowledge than what Amazon say.

Thread: HS 2
23/02/2018 19:59:34
Posted by Allan Bennett on 23/02/2018 07:55:11:

Having been involved in the construction of HS1, I would like to point out that reducing journey times is not the only aim of HS2: Most of the UK's conventional rail network is already overcrowded, with very little scope for the addition of extra trains. To run extra trains, extra tracks will be needed, so they might as well be "HS" tracks. And while we're at it, they might as well be built to European loading gauge so they can accomodate their larger carriages.

Hence HS2's oft-unappreciated objective is to free up the West Coast Main Line (and others) so that more stopping trains can be run on them. Whether or not it's still value for money I'll leave to others to debate . . .

Fair enough, build track, but why fast. It's expensive, noisy, at least more dangerous.

Only the contractors, given a long, fat feast at this trough, like the idea.

Thread: Six Nations 2018
23/02/2018 16:12:09

Not too much blood. The modern game seems to eat players.

23/02/2018 13:33:45

Got any Lasers you don't want while your in the mood.

23/02/2018 11:16:18

Big ask for Italy, but wish them well. Hard work getting hammered every week. Now the Irish game, first thought you are going mad, but after a good cogitate, Wales might just do it, having a resurgence.

John, the man is trying to get a great side together. Hard to watch, for the English, but what that lot need is to gift Scotland 10 points, and see if they come back, or panic. If we are going to face the Blacks on a 50-50 basis, they are going to have to know that they ain't beaten til the ref blows up, cos the Blacks won't stop either.

Thread: Wing Tubes
22/02/2018 20:55:09

Wing tubes, replace dihedral braces. I have never seen a brace go through more than four ribs. Including the centre rib. Someone will name one with more.

22/02/2018 20:49:40
Posted by Geoff Peacock on 22/02/2018 15:47:16:

I'm modifying an old plan for a 48" Sopwith Scooter monoplane (changing it from single wing to split wing - and adding ailerons) and although reasonably happy with the info above, I'm not sure about securing the wings to the centre section I'm re-designing?

Has anyone had experience of DB Sport & Scale's Wing Retaining Clips? I'm familiar with how they work, but not actually seen them in action. The wings will be supported by working flying and landing wires (I hope).

These things are the working end of a mastic gun. Same principle, and they work. Proviso, the diameter of the wire the gripper grips on, is critical. I believe the previous owner d DB Sorts and Scale used to reject about 50 % of his x gauge SWG wire, as it was not quite the right size between gripping and slipping.

22/02/2018 19:39:17

But at least, in big countries, you have some distance to cover. They have to compete with the aircraft, ( if you've time to spare then go by air) as the phrase goes. But the UK is tiny. No reason to use high speed, high risk, very expensive, noisy trains. Aircraft are just complicated flying coffins in comparison to a train.

I have never seen a study of noise footprint, speed catastrophe risk, against cost.

Not done, or not published.

But the big engineering bidders are on a fat high protein feeding trough. The subbies doing the job are on old peanuts.

And Gypsy Don predicts, there will be cost over-runs, cor blimy governer, you never stipulated it rained.

Thread: aliphatic glue
22/02/2018 15:30:03

As is well known, if you use white PVA glue, it sticks stuff to airframes like Balsaloc. Except, balsaloc works over a number of heat cycles, and the sort of PVA I use works over one heat cycle.

BEB has expounded on this forum that he suspects there is little difference between PVA and Balsaloc. I would suggest he may be right, Balsaloc could be a straight PVA, no additives, and being a thermoplastic melts and remelts. My "PVA" is a bit more of a mixture, which undergoes changes when heated

22/02/2018 15:03:23

Yea Wright Stuff, that bloke sounds like he knows glues. I am happier that I have devoted the hours to studying whiskey

22/02/2018 14:54:04

Straight answer is yes.

But that is not to say they are the same. Poly vinyl acetate, PVA, is good glue, but with draw backs (sanding, water resistance.)

In the aliphatic resin is another glue mixed in as an emulsion, that undergoes a polymerisation in the drying process. Hence better water resistance, and better sanding performance because it dries hard, whereby PVA is a rubbery substance.

Aliphatic is a marketing word. In organic chemistry every thing is aliphatic if it is made of carbon chains. If it is made of rings, it isn't aliphatic.

Thread: Building board help
22/02/2018 09:30:23

Iain, anything will do, as long as it is flat, and will take a pin. But you can be sure the worktop, plasterboard route is the end result of hard bitten and painful experience.

I'm a bit concerned by your opening remark, your 19 mm ply is pretty flat. It has to be flat. Period.

Excuse the Trumpism.

22/02/2018 09:21:31

I am still waiting to hear an argument as to why a new track, using existing train speeds, and a few minutes slower, is such a bad idea. I'm open to persuasion.

Thread: Not quite a beginner, but....
21/02/2018 09:07:51

A Wot 4, with the OS 40, would be nice. And then, when you have your eye in, re-engine it with the 61 for ballistic performance.

20/02/2018 19:32:26

Glow fuel, in an unopened container, has been good 10 years later, stores in damp conditions, I have found. But opened, bin it, not with the bother or risk.

Thread: Durafly Vampire V2?
20/02/2018 09:29:14

I reckon the exploding fan stories have a lot to do with bits of loose wire going into the fan. Secure the wires.

Thread: Model Black Box
19/02/2018 18:48:08

Ditto. Wish I could do it is the problem.

Thread: RCV Engines
19/02/2018 12:51:32

G-JIMG, pm sent

Thread: Spektrum 6400NBL , WHAT BATTERY CONNECTION
18/02/2018 19:04:12

Cheers David. Adapt to JST, and retain sanity.

18/02/2018 15:33:56

My receiver is a secondhand, but never taken out of the packet job, so it will have Horizon standard wiring.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues