By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Percy Verance

Here is a list of all the postings Percy Verance has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Smooth Operator
18/11/2017 18:43:05

Little difference as I see it. You've still *built* it when it's complete.

Thread: Goldwing RC Corvus 60cc ARTF for electric set up
18/11/2017 17:46:51

Firebox? Is it steam powered? surprise

I think you meant firewall Adrian.......yes

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/11/2017 17:48:07

18/11/2017 17:45:16

Definately a CD of photos with my kit Adrian. We're going back 10+ years though......

Thread: Two good books: Sully -Miracle on the Hudson / Flying in-Walking out
18/11/2017 17:32:41

Harry

I understand Mr Sullenberger was one of the senior people in charge of pilot training for the airline who employed him. So I guess he of all people had to get it right..........and thankfully he did.

And I believe not only was/is he a former fighter pilot, he also holds a glider pilots licence too. As we all saw, he was the right man to have in the cockpit in a crisis.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/11/2017 17:36:32

18/11/2017 17:22:39

Things have obviously changed since Mr Tindal himself produced the kits, because what really impressed me was the CD rom of photos of all the various build stages, including close-ups of any areas which may have been less than clear for some.

As I said, most impressive. I have never seen that done previously or since.......

I'd got my Excitation nicely built, and was looking at maybe getting another Tindal creation only to find he'd ceased making kits! I was aware the Balsa Cabin had acquired the rights, but they strangely didn't seem to promote them much.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/11/2017 17:27:18

18/11/2017 16:42:30

What about one of these at 72 inch span Don?

latest-ruhig-1.jpg

It looks a bit like Peter Miller's Ballerina, but precedes it by 27 years. There was a free plan in RCM&E just a few months back - Tiger 72 - that's the bigger version. Jim Newberry the designer has re-designed the original for electric power, so if you did build it Don, you'd need to beef up the front end/engine mount area. Fabulous flyer Don. The Tiger has a thick fun-fly like wing section, and that makes for really good low speed handling. Open the taps though and it goes nicely. I used mine to take my Examiner's test back in the early 90's.

And here's my first one back in 1991. The registration says it all!

ruhig-1.jpg

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/11/2017 16:45:39

Thread: Goldwing RC Corvus 60cc ARTF for electric set up
18/11/2017 16:33:28

I think I'd have preferred a good strong ply box for that motor rather than stand-offs. There is going to be a hell of a lot of torque there.......

18/11/2017 13:34:01

Geoff

I don't think any of the Pete Tindal kits had it's fuselage part built. Mine certainly didn't. Are you thinking of the Dave Smith (from York) kits? All his had pre part built fuselages, unless you specifically requsted it to be left unbuilt.

Adrian

But maybe just maybe one day those heaps of artf's coming in from the paddyfields will dry up as our number slowly declines. One day a cut-off point will be reached, and it'll no longer be a viable propostion to bring them in anymore. They do say what comes around goes around. I remember the day back in the early 80's when a new member appeared at our club with one of the very first artf's available. It was (I think) a Kyosho product. A huge gaggle of modellers gathered round it at the time. Nobody had ever seen or heard of a ready built model.......

I think what will undoubtedly happen is that the cost of these Chinese imports will rise. The cheaper labour cost has made them the bargains they seem, but even these poor souls won't work forever for nowt, and costs will eventually rise. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/11/2017 13:42:53

Thread: Engines and Vintage Free Flight Models for a Beginner
18/11/2017 13:10:52

Wow John, that's going back a bit! I also had the mag and plan for Oini (Ernie, but with a Brooklyn accent).

It might be a tad on the large side John, but I can recommend the Keil Kraft Ladybird. DC Spitfire in mine way back then. Flew great......  Veron Cardinal would indeed be another, as would some of the Vic Smeed collection, Tomboy, Chatterbox etc..

I think the biggest problem you'll have will be the weather John. It's changed quite a bit since the 50's and 60's. We seem to get more stronger winds today.

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/11/2017 13:18:39

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
18/11/2017 13:03:31

It's all down to exactly what floats your boat kc. Speaking of which, we have a chap in our club who is a former boat modeller. The sheer amount of detail he includes on his boats is little short of astonishing. Some years ago he built a Model called Drumbeat of Devon, a fisheries protection vessel. I may be wrong, but I think it was from a Model Slipway kit. It was absolutely beautiful to behold. Even the hydraulic hose unions on the HiAb seacrane were faithfully produced. The portholes were nothing short of individual masterpieces. He said installing each one took quite a few hours along with the hinges etc. Totally mindblowing.

Oddly, actually sailing the models always seemed of much less importance, as he only tended to sail one every couple of years or so. Clearly, for him the joy was in the build. And in fact I've seen some really nice scale jobs over the years spoiled by less than confident piloting skills. But hey, whatever turns you on.

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/11/2017 13:05:32

Thread: New Laser engines. What do you want?
18/11/2017 08:32:00

I don't think Jon would want to bother Bert, particularly as anyone who wants to convert can simply buy the conversion from the Mini Motors bloke themselves. There used to be the Jim Shelley conversion too, which I understand worked well.......

Just Engines also offer sets/parts for conversion, but I'm not sure just how successful these are? I've never seen one running.

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/11/2017 08:37:57

Thread: Warbird Replicas Bf 109 club.
18/11/2017 08:21:59

I was wondering about that too Paul..........indecision

17/11/2017 22:48:55

It's probably a little controversial to say it Adrian, but the hobby is now made up of of both Aeromodellers and Model Flyers. Everyone just does whatever they're happy doing.......

There's a nice Hawker Fury build about to kick off on another part of the forum Adrian, built from a Dennis Bryant plan. That any good?

Edited By Percy Verance on 17/11/2017 22:51:57

17/11/2017 22:32:03

Hi again Adrian

Some flyers don't have the space, skills or time to build Adrian. I tend to agree with you that they're missing out on 50% of the hobby, but that's the way it is I guess. Probably one of the biggest advantages of having built a model is that you'll know how to repair it if it gets damaged in a crash........and as you point out, there's an incredible feeling of satisfaction as it flies past you at the flying field. No artf can give you the "I built that" feeling inside.

Edited By Percy Verance on 17/11/2017 22:39:34

17/11/2017 22:19:15

That's about it in a nutshell Chris. There are few model four stroke engines which are as good all round as a Laser. The newer Saitos probably come closer than most, but just don't look at spares prices........surprise

Edited By Percy Verance on 17/11/2017 22:24:09

Thread: Photo add
17/11/2017 22:06:32

You have to create the album(s) Adrian. Bring the photos from whichever folders they're in on your pc, then place them in the albums you've created. You'll give the folders names etc, so that you can locate them when required.

It's actually much easier to do than describe.....

Edited By Percy Verance on 17/11/2017 22:07:09

17/11/2017 22:01:29

Very similar to the Excitation I built a few years back Adrian. Simple, straightforward and strong. Looks like a full blown foam wing. The Excitation used a built up wing with veneered foam ribs.

Not bad models, it's good to see them still available.

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
17/11/2017 21:37:53

A fair point Geoff. Probably some variations, albeit minor.........

Once jig built welded tubular construction began to appear, there would be considerably less variation. Not sure what aircraft it would appear on first though..... Probably completely wrong but I'm thinking Bristol Bulldog?

I'm a bit drawn to this thread because it's a Dennis Bryant plan, and I've seen the Old Warden Hawker Hind in the air. Not quite the same aircraft, but still an incredibly wonderful sight and sound. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 17/11/2017 21:53:54

Thread: E-Flite Lipos Shock, Horror! A Serious Waste of Money?
17/11/2017 21:20:51

Not necessarily out of power Keith. If you take a charger as well, then you begin charging after you've flown with the first pack. That way you can virtually fly all day if you wish. Not everyone flies continuously, and more often than not you'll have brew or a chat with fellow flyers. Sometimes you'll just watch other models perform.

We have one flyer whom brings about 20 charged packs with him when he arrives at the field. I don't recall ever seeing him charge on the field.

With my Multiplex Heron the typical flight endurance on a 2200mah pack can be well in excess of an hour if I want it to be. No suitcases full of batteries required for that model. As you say, each to their own.......

I don't fly my electric models specifically because of their endurance, lack of noise or convenience. I fly them because they suit me.......

Keith, you make a point of mentioning the busy clubhouse/workshop, with all the 240v sockets being used etc, yet you also mention that you don't use it, so why need it be an issue for you?

Edited By Percy Verance on 17/11/2017 21:32:01

17/11/2017 20:05:57

Oh dear......... sad

Just what you don't need.....

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
SHREK
Wings and Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues