By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Percy Verance

Here is a list of all the postings Percy Verance has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hi everyone!
26/07/2017 17:15:45

Multiplex do a lighting set, but I'm sure there are others too. I removed The complete lighting loom from my E Flite Timber not long ago. I don't care for gimmicks. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/07/2017 17:17:25

Thread: Multiplex FunCub
26/07/2017 17:07:56

Bin them Peter

Brushless motors - particularly the better quality items - are in another world compared to the old school stuff. Even £25 worth of Brushless motor will whip the hide of that old brushed set-up.......

As BEB points out, the Funcub is a remarkable model with some really pleasant handling characteristics. It's as tough as old boots too, which is handy for a beginner. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/07/2017 17:11:31

Thread: Flying field is a bit wet
24/07/2017 18:54:05

You're probably aware of them already Mike, but www.windermeremodelwaterplaneflyers.co.uk is where the info is..........

I was a member for a couple of years a while back, but became busy with other things. Their best site - in my humble opinion - is Ullswater. Superb.

Other places of possible non modelling interest are the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Steam Railway and Motor Museums at Backbarrow and Newby Bridge and, not far from Grange itself, Holker Hall. And if you go for the posh country house thing then Levens Hall has a notable garden.

Edited By Percy Verance on 24/07/2017 19:02:08

Thread: Buy cheap, buy twice
23/07/2017 20:42:47

Another *run new servos on a tester for at least 30 minutes* fan here. I bought some small blue cased servos from somehere - HK I think- which got extremely warm after being on the tester. I felt they also displayed too much slop in the gear trains so I didn't use them in a model.

Stick with known reputable servo brands from reputable sellers (to avoid the fakes) and you should be fine.

Thread: Pilot Quick build Hawker Hurricane mk1 kit
22/07/2017 19:10:58

I've used Parcelbroker several times to send items to forum members who have bought stuff from me. Worked fine for me yes   www.parcelbroker.co.uk   

The last time I used them it gave me UPS as the preferred choice so I went with them, but alternatives are offered too. They ask for the size and weight of the package plus it's intended destination, then you're quoted the price. With UPS there was a nominated pick up facility just a few minutes from my home, which is why I went with them.

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/07/2017 19:15:52

Thread: Visiting the UK in September
22/07/2017 18:37:54

Barry

If you're going to be based in the South East for a while then the Shuttleworth Collection has to be worth a visit. There are aircraft there (not to mention other interesting items) which you simply will not see anywhere else in the world. A couple of excellent examples would be the original 1912 Blackburn Monoplane, still fully airworthy after 105 years, and perhaps the Bristol Fighter, now 100 years young, with the oldest Rolls Royce aero engine in the world which still flies...... Oh, and there's an ME163 Komet tucked away in one hangar. There are but 3 left I think.

Enjoy and soak up the atmosphere Barry, it's well worth it.......

Take a look at the Shuttleworth site Barry, and get in touch. Given that you're on a one off visit to the UK, they may let you take some close-up photos.

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/07/2017 18:41:06

22/07/2017 09:24:25

A good number of the Pilot kits were around the 50 inch span mark Davey. The Hurricane was similar if I remember correctly. They were a nice quality kit.

Thread: Some dumb questions that have never been asked apparently
22/07/2017 09:20:50

AbSolutely nothing wrong with being Scottish David, my mother was Scottish........

22/07/2017 08:41:32

Barrie

You don't necessarily need to be a club member to obtain insurance, as you'd be covered if you joined the BMFA as a Country ie: non club member.

I'm not a BMFA member personally. I obtain my insurance cover through a different model flying organisation.

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/07/2017 09:18:54

Thread: whats safest and why
22/07/2017 08:29:11

You will rarely see any input from the BMFA in an official capacity Roger, as they have no legislative powers. They can make only recommendations or suggestions. There is one chap whom works for the BMFA who does appear on here from time to time though....

It's fairly well known that those in very senior positions at the BMFA don't like forums (forae?), and seem to avoid them at all costs. That said, I'm no longer a BMFA member - I'm with another model flying association - so I'm no longer familiar with the inner workings of the BMFA........

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/07/2017 08:35:31

22/07/2017 08:12:52

I'd imagine somewhere in the area of £75 or so would be about right Lee. A slight issue is the fact that many newer modellers will be unfamiliar with the Pilot kits of the 70's/80's. They were pretty high end (mostly) scale offerings, with superbly cut ply balsa parts. Beautifully presented, with lots of the parts in their own sealed plastic bags. If anything they were slightly weighty, but still flew very well indeed. Or at least those I flew did.

It's not one for me though Lee, as I don't do warbirds.

Thread: Proposed new drone legislation/registration
22/07/2017 08:04:51

One wonders if the BMFA's estimated 10000+ non club flyers will all register if necessary? Somehow I doubt it. On my travels over the decades I've met model flyers whom hadn't the slightest notion a National Model Flying Association even existed. And indeed, I've spoken to individuals whom avoided clubs simply because they felt that their activities once they'd joined would be heavily regulated/controlled.

Thread: Some dumb questions that have never been asked apparently
22/07/2017 07:50:24

Hi David

If you're a little unclear/unsure regarding changing the mode, and you don't particuarly wish to return the transmitter to HH in Germany, then take a look at Mike Ridley's website at www.modelradioworkshop.co.uk.

Mike is the UK service agent for Multiplex radio, but can service/repair any make. He also carries out bespoke modifications - such as placing all three flying controls on a single stick for those whom may have lost the use of a hand. Do take a look at Mike's site, and you'll find his contact details as well. Rest assured, he's good.

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/07/2017 07:51:09

Thread: Mini Wot 4 or something else?
21/07/2017 18:19:15

Hi Andy

I'm not sure I'd recommend the Mini Wot 4 personally just now. It's diminutive size will probably mean it's a nippy flyer, and that won't make it too easy to handle for a relative beginner. The small size will also mean it gets tiny in the air quickly.

I'd go for a Multiplex Easy Star. Lovely stable flyer, yet it will roll, fly inverted, loop etc.

Thread: Looking for someone to make an ARTF, PNP!
20/07/2017 21:03:47

Agreed Bob. Suffering from arthritis myself (thankfully not in my hands/fingers) I do see where you're coming from here.......

20/07/2017 19:37:49

I wondered about that too Peter. A four flap glider? He's certainly going to have to know how to handle it in the air.........

As I understand it, a four flap glider is usually a semi - competitive style job? I actually have one - an Mpx Heron - and even with my decades of model flying experience, I'm approaching the flying somewhat tentatively........

That said, the gentleman could have more experience than myself, in which case I apologise in advance.....

Edited By Percy Verance on 20/07/2017 19:42:22

20/07/2017 15:14:55

Quite collectable now I'd have thought. I wish I'd kept the Pilot kits I had 30 odd years ago......

Thread: Portable workshop Survey
16/07/2017 20:42:19

Welcome to the forum Ray.

A bit of loaded question that. You'll probably get many answers, but my personal favourite tools are those from the Perma Grit range.

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of on field repairs, preferring instead to take the model home and carry out a proper workshop repair. I've seen a good few *make do* repairs undo themselves, and the end result is rarely pleasant.......

Sorry, but thats been my personal experience.

Thread: Irvine 72 MK I
16/07/2017 07:30:31

How odd. I once bought a used Irvine Q72 20 odd years back, and that also felt like it had a lumpy bearing......

I'd have thought Modelfixings would be a good place to find an allen key.

Edited By Percy Verance on 16/07/2017 07:32:04

Thread: Just wondering if there's any interest
16/07/2017 07:27:16

I'd suggest purchasing a helicopter or multirotor if you want a model to hang motionless in the air Tom......... wink

Edited By Percy Verance on 16/07/2017 07:27:30

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
SHREK
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
CML
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us