By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Percy Verance

Here is a list of all the postings Percy Verance has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: steam powered model plane ?
29/03/2017 15:58:38

John

Not sure about Woodford, but David Parker certainly flew the model at Woodvale back in the 70's, as I watched as interested spectator......... 

It appears he'd been working on it for some time, even back then.....

Edited By Percy Verance on 29/03/2017 16:00:23

Thread: Showing in stock and it is NOT!!!!!!
27/03/2017 22:09:00

Probably best to just ring the shop direct and ask if they actually have one there they can post on the day you ring......

The cost of a phone call may save a lot of hassle.......

Thread: Multiplex Cockpit Sx 9
27/03/2017 21:55:17

Further to my opening post, I can now report that I've flown the Cockpit SX a number of times in my E Flite Timber. I do like the voice alerts on the countdown timer, as they help to avoid over stretching your lipos. I mixed in 3% down elevator with full flap to avoid pitching up, and this seems to do the trick nicely.

The new sticks are simply superb, with excellent feel. It has decent battery duration too, with me being able to go several sessions without needing to charge. Battery duration is stated as being 24 hours.

I'd like to think Mpx will add the servo slow facility via online update at some point though, as I have used this on my Royal on several models. Come on Mpx, how about it?

Edited By Percy Verance on 27/03/2017 22:15:54

Thread: DB Cirrus Moth build
27/03/2017 21:20:56

Me a hero? Note sure about that one DD.

A servo in each bottom wing panel is the way to go without a doubt DD. My old 1990 Moth (in my header pic) used the bell-crank method with a single servo in the wing centre section. We all did it like that back then. I found I couldn't get quite as much aileron throw as I would have liked. Still, I flew mine fairly regularly for 20+ years without a hitch. I then sold it on with it's original OS .48fs engine. Hopefully it's still flying somewhere.......

Thread: Horizon Hobbies
27/03/2017 21:09:24

The other makes will almost certainly benefit from an upturn in sales, with Frsky, HiTec and Futaba and others waiting in the wings to plug the gaps.

HH made what is almost certainly a finance driven decision to move away from the UK, but perhaps their sales are doing well enough in other markets for them to feel confident of this move. Time will indeed tell......

Edited By Percy Verance on 27/03/2017 21:11:02

Thread: Lindsay Todd's Fred - RCM&E April 2017
27/03/2017 20:50:31

Quick work indeed Denis. It looks equally as good in blue too....... yes

Thread: Spring is Here....
26/03/2017 20:39:51

Mine was PNP Tom. I had difficulty getting hold of one though, because it took 2 to 3 months to arrive.

I'm pleasantly surprised at it's flying characteristics. It seems very steady/stable, yet will throw a lovely spin when asked to do so. It handles a stiff breeze amazingly well. The flaps seem even more effective than those on the FunCub. In fact I'd say the Timber has the edge on the FunCub purely on flying characteristics, although it can't match it on sheer quality. The foam components of the FunCub are of a higher standard altogether.......

26/03/2017 19:20:45

Why run scared Tom? Simply consider it a challenge to get your hands on one........

26/03/2017 18:56:47

The overriding issue for some though John is the fact that the once famed HH customer service has now seemingly disappeared........

Like you I'm not too bothered as I'm not a Spektrum user. I have bought an E Flite Timber, along with a brace of E Flite electric motors though. Thankfully I'm confident I won't need to send them back ........

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/03/2017 18:59:55

26/03/2017 18:52:59

Out again this afternoon, but a fair bit more wind to cope with. I flew anyway and the Timber coped very well with the blow, although one club member thought it too windy for his Fun Cub.

26/03/2017 17:43:25

It doesn't read well does it? Nor will any of this instill confidence in the brands sold by HH.

You could almost be forgiven for thinking they'd chosen to abandon the UK market? I'm quite pleased I stocked up on E Flite motors ( I just bought 5!)

I can't recall what or when I purchased from them, but I had an e mail from Cheshire Models advising me of the HH pull-out. That didn't read well either.....

Interestingly, I also had another e mail from a fairly well known supplier whom I have a high regard for, stating that he'd be increasing stocks of certain other makes of radio in order to fill the void left by HH. Could be a tad risky, but I suspect some folk may not want to hang onto gear with no UK service available anymore, so it could pay off. Time will tell........

Donald

Metal geared servos generally have the edge in most applications, but metal gears can wear prematurely in big petrol engined models due to the vibes. Metal gears are usually my 1st choice now that I fly mostly electric models. The Karbonite jobs offered by HiTec seem a good half-way compromise though.

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/03/2017 17:52:55

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/03/2017 17:57:17

Thread: Cardboard clone of a Funjet / Radjet
26/03/2017 09:27:05

Just don't try to fly it in the rain, or land in wet grass..........

Thread: April 2017 Issue Home of Scale Old Warden Report
26/03/2017 09:22:25

Our bunch were there a few years back Tony, when one of the lads decided he'd like to have a bash at chuck & duck (free-flight) for a bit of a change. He bought a Co2 powered Piper Cub job from one of the stands, joined the free-flighters and fired it up and threw it. It climbed until he lost sight of it. Undaunted, he simply went and bought a second one! A great weekend it was.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/03/2017 09:24:41

Thread: DB Cirrus Moth build
25/03/2017 20:58:11

The hole for the servo wire looks worryingly close to the main spars DD........ face 3

25/03/2017 18:01:16

A nice gentle breeze on our field this afternoon. Managed 6 flights with my new E Flite Timber (great flyer), and a further four 20+ minute flights with the Easystar.

On reflection, I'd say the Timber flies even better than my original Fun Cub. Really smooth, with superb control harmonization. Nice one E flite.........

I got the snow on the hill-tops too David. I'm in a village near Kendal.

Edited By Percy Verance on 25/03/2017 18:02:32

Thread: PIPER CUB 84 INCH D. B Sport and scale
25/03/2017 07:57:54

I missed that bit kc. We can only assume the non lazer cut kit has been bought second-hand, and is obviously of earlier manufacture?

Lots were sold/built though, so maybe someone has a plan lying around?

25/03/2017 07:46:12

Snap Tim!

Taken at the Scale Weekend a few years back. The Lysander returned home to OW after flying at an airshow elsewhere..... model flying ceased temporarily while it landed.

lysander-1.jpgn

lysander-2.jpg

It's one big aeroplane......

Edited By Percy Verance on 25/03/2017 07:49:42

Thread: PIPER CUB 84 INCH D. B Sport and scale
24/03/2017 15:03:28

Just give Richard at DB Sport & Scale a ring. I'm sure he'd be happy to help.......

24/03/2017 14:52:11

I couldn't agree more Nightflyer.

Having been attending the OW Scale Weekends fairly regularly for 35+ years, and flying at a fair number of them, I felt Alex Whittaker's post was a good reflection of the event. And he's bang on with his description. It's an incredibly atmospheric place, and well worth a visit for the museum alone. It's even better with the Scale Weekend going on as well though. For those who have not yet attended this event, you really ought to consider it. Truly the home of the scale modeller......

Where else in the world can you get to see a fully airworthy 1909 Bleriot, or a genuine 1917 Bristol Fighter, complete with the oldest flying Rolls Royce aero engine in the world? And for those whom perhaps would like to see a WW2 rarity, there's an ME 163 Komet in the corner of one hangar. Incredible place.

Edited By Percy Verance on 24/03/2017 15:11:01

Thread: An Excellent Service
24/03/2017 14:40:19

Don't overlook the fact that some of the credit is due to the Couriers or Royal Mail for actually getting it to you though Robert....... yes

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
SHREK
Overlander
TJD Models
CML
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What's the main radio brand you use? (2017)
Q: What's the main radio brand you use?

FrSky
 Turnigy
 Multiplex
 Hitec
 Futaba
 JR
 Spektrum
 Graupner
 Jeti
 Other

Latest Reviews