By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Percy Verance

Here is a list of all the postings Percy Verance has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric Cars.
20/04/2018 21:23:24

So let's get this right.

I choose to buy an electric car. I pay the necessary taxes upon purchase, including the first registration fee.

I wear the tyres out and go to get some new ones fitted. I pay for the tyres plus vat.

I charge the car up at home. My electricity bill arrives, and I see I've paid vat.

Eventually I need a service. I pay the nice man at the garage, and I see he's charged me vat on the servicing.

I need some new windscreen wipers. I go to Halfords. They charge me vat as well.

Now perhaps I'm missing something, but could you please explain where I might have avoided tax?

I've paid the full price for the electricity and everything else, so where exactly is the lower cost?

And before you say it, pure electric cars are road tax free as declared by H M Government. It isn't possible to avoid a tax that hasn't been imposed in the first place........

Edited By Percy Verance on 20/04/2018 21:35:26

20/04/2018 18:57:27

ceejay isn't a location. It's the guy who posted earler. The Jaguar driver passed him on his return from Scotland.......

Frank

Most of the cars JLR make - Land Rover particularly - are diesel powered, so they'll feel the pinch more than some........

What appears to be happening just now is that potential buyers aren't necessarily choosing petrol over diesel. They're not buying either, preferring to hold on for now to see what happens over the next 12 to 18 months.........

Edited By Percy Verance on 20/04/2018 19:08:21

20/04/2018 17:39:05

If the Jaguar driver was travelling South - and it appears he was if he passed ceejay returning from Scotland - then I don't see how he'd be climbing up Shap........ unless I missed something. He certainly needn't have struggled for a charge. There are 8 EV charge points on Tebay services, and several at Forton which is South of Lancaster..........

Ken

No doubt falling diesel sales have had something to do with it....... if sales are 37% down, then some of those lost sales must be Nissan cars.

Edited By Percy Verance on 20/04/2018 17:44:28

20/04/2018 13:39:49

Quite why that seems so shocking I'm not sure. If your timing belt lets go then it's potentially thousands of pounds to get motoring again. Timing belts can, in theory, snap at any point although they seem more prone to failure with wear/age.

None of us seem overly concerned about that.........

Perhaps the battery issue is one we'll simply have to accept, just as we do with timing belts?

ceejay

I can't fathom why the i Pace prototype driver might be saving energy while on the Lakes section of the M6, as most service areas there have EV charging facilities. The Lakes area service station on the M6 nearest to me has 8 charge points. One assumes the driver will have planned his route, and consequently probably knew this?  Perhaps he was taking a hands free call, and slowed down to concentrate on the conversation?

Edited By Percy Verance on 20/04/2018 13:59:57

20/04/2018 06:52:14

Trevor

As far as lipos lasting just a year or so, that certainly isn't my experience. I have several packs here I use specifically with a Multiplex Easy Star to teach others to fly. I've had the model for about 5 years or so, and I bought some of the (Multiplex branded) packs at the same time. They haven't puffed up, and still seem to perfrom ok. I do balance charge each time though, and never exceed a 1c charge rate. More often than not it's .75c

The Jag i Pace looks fantastic, and will certainly be a popular choice among executive car buyers whom wish to go green. It does wear a premium price tag, but that may change over time. Jaguar's i Pace Line Director, Ian Hoban, has stated that less costly variants of the I Pace would not present any "major technical obstacles"..............

19/04/2018 13:46:40

C8

Re: small independant garages.

Obviously I have no idea of the situation everywhere, but the two guys (father & son) who run the garage in the next village to me have both been on a hybrid/electric car course. I've been taking my Focus there since I bought it almost three years ago, and unlike some big dealer servicing facilities in large towns, I know I'm getting a good job done. They've been in business for 40+ years, and many locals seem to use them.

Even after 2040 there will still be enough petrol and diesel cars around to keep such places turning over for a few years. 

Alan

The problem Tesla have at the moment is that the parts aren't moving fast enough! Have you seen the Model 3 order backlog? 500,000+..........

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/04/2018 14:00:22

19/04/2018 05:42:02

And why might this be an electric car issue?

Obviously I can't speak for all those whom choose to live in the village, but presumably they were perhaps aware that when they moved here, the transport links wouldn't be the same as living in a busy town?

Who knows, maybe they're happy with that?   And why should they need to buy a brand new car?

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/04/2018 05:48:09

18/04/2018 20:48:55

Not at all. You'll still be able to use a combustion engined vehicle after 2040 if you wish. You just won't be able to buy a new one......

I should imagine if you bought one in,say, 2038, you might still drive it around until it expires.....although just how much choice you'll have regarding new combustion engined vehicles in 2038 I wouldn't like to say.  

I couldn't comment regarding getting a bus. I live in a small village out in the sticks, and there are no busses........

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/04/2018 20:57:08

Thread: Vauxhall In The Doldrums.....
18/04/2018 20:08:08

David

A chap I occasionally fly with has a 16 reg Seat Leon estate with auto transmission and the 2.0 tdi engine. He tends to do just short journeys as far as I'm aware, so I'm waiting to see how long it is before a dpf issue raises it's head.....

It is a nice car to be driven in though......

As far as estate cars go for model transportation, I've generally found it isn't so much boxy volume that's required, it's loadbay length. Fuselages and wings are almost always long slender items. I imagine you'd only need masses of actual volume if you wanted to move many average sized models or perhaps a very large one.

And no Andrew, cars don't have to be German, but based on my past experience they definately  shouldn't be French......secret  Never again will I even entertain the notion of buying a French car.

Both the Vauxhall Astra's I've owned have been sound but completely unremarkable cars. My current Ford Focus Estate meets my needs extremely well. It's been totally issue free for the almost three years I've had it, although now that I'm no longer working full time I may switch to either a hybrid or a pure EV in a year or so.

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/04/2018 20:35:40

18/04/2018 18:27:31

If the Passat seems too large, there is always the Golf estate. That said, I wouldn't buy a Golf estate, I'd go for an Octavia Estate (in fact I have in the past - twice). Same running gear, VW stamped on everything in the engine bay, and drives as well as a Golf, but with a more comfortable ride. Bigger boot too. Oh, and it'll cost less than a Golf to buy.......

It's Europe's biggest selling mid sized estate car.

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/04/2018 18:31:44

18/04/2018 16:21:45

There's no doubt Honda are extremely reliable cars, and always rate highly in ownership polls. The styling of the current cars puts me off though. The current Civic and Jazz seem over-stylized to me, and unfortunately I can't see them as attractive however I look at them. My neighbour has an Accord estate though, which is 12 years old or so. I think he bought it new, and it's still in extremely good order. They are both retired, and have been for 10+ years, so don't seem to use their car a great deal. The Accord seems a nice car, but I'm not sure they still make it.

My father inlaw has a Toyota Rav 4. He buys a new one every four years or so. Quite why a slightly built 78 year old man needs a huge bulky 4wd I have no idea, but he seems to like them. His current one is his 5th in 20 odd years of Rav 4's....... he likes the fact they never seem to go wrong.

Going back to Vauxhall though, I can't help feeling they seem now to be producing cars most private buyers don't want or like anymore. I'd imagine most new Vauxhall cars will be company purchased vehicles, bought in the hundreds. They don't seem to become privately purchased until at least a year or more old. Who knows where Vauxhall might go from here? PSA group may well have a few ideas.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/04/2018 16:32:35

18/04/2018 14:52:46

The BMW i3 is indeed an ugly creation. Fallen out of the ugly tree, hitting every branch on the way down.......

Tesla's production hiccups are virtually everyday happenings, or so it seems.

Robert

In time there will doubtless be conductive charging available. I understand this is already in use in some parts of the world already. No wires trailing over pavements etc. The charging cable is buried in the road (or where-ever) and you simply park over it. There is also the possibility - albeit presently distant - of *charging* roads, with the charging cable buried in the road. These offer charging while you drive along them. There are already facilities such as this in South Korea and Sweden. It may simply be that people whom live in high rise buildings etc are just unable to charge an electric vehicle at or near their home, in the same way they cannot have a lawn or a greenhouse. It may mean that if they do choose to own an EV, they may have to resort to using public charging facilities.

Frank

Tesla better get a grip on the idea of mass production fairly soon, as they have half a million outstanding orders for the Model 3. And that's after 40,000 customers cancelled after not wanting to wait....... VW could show them how it's done Frank. Their EV strategy - named Roadmap E - sees them planning to launch and market up to 50 pure EV's and 30 plug-in hybrids across the whole VW group range by 2025...... Indeed, VW's CEO has said that they will launch a new electric car "virtually every month" from 2019.

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/04/2018 15:22:36

18/04/2018 14:05:31

David

You certainly wouldn't have wanted my Peugeot 405 GRD estate David. Almost each time a regular service was required there were other repairs/fixes needed.

I had trouble with:

The power steering, the alternator, electric windows, electric sunroof, cylinder head gasket blew (twice!), brake and clutch problems, overheating.

There just didn't seem to be a clear period of more than two to three months without the car needing attention. I was over the moon the day I left it on a dealer's forecourt after a trade-in. I changed it for a Vauxhall Astra 1.7 diesel, which was problem free for the 2 years or so I kept it........  I actually made a point of trading the Peugeot in about 40 or so miles from where I live, in the hope I'd not see it again. I spotted it in a car park in my nearest town just 4 days later...........

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/04/2018 14:14:06

18/04/2018 07:07:43

Quite Don.

It may have been a Renault. Certainly NIssan have a mid sized electric van available to go now, along with LDV and Mercedes.

It seems VW have big plans for the EV market., both commercial and private. VW's CEO - Matthias Muller - has said that he intends VW to have "at least" 16 EV capable production sites worldwide within the next 4 years. And that the company will also launch a new electric car "virtually every month" from 2019. These will include both pure electric and PHEV types. VW are also to begin offering charging wall-boxes, priced at 300 Euros (about £260) from 2020.

And yes, I think it's probably quite feasable that a customer would allow a quick 30 to 60 minute top-up charge. After all, they don't usually complain about supplying the power for tools. Certainly, such a charge would get you to the next job......

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/04/2018 07:10:08

18/04/2018 07:07:42

Quite Don.

It may have been a Renault. Certainly NIssan have a mid sized electric van available to go now.

It seems VW have big plans for the EV market., both commercial and private. VW's CEO - Mattias Muller - has said that he intends VW to have "at least" 16 EV capable production sites worldwide within the next 4 years. And that the company will also launch a new electric car "virtually every month" from 2019. These will include both pure electric and PHEV types. VW are also to beging offering charging wall-boxes, priced at 300 Euros (about £260) from 2020.

And yes, I think it's probably quite feasable that a customer would allow a quick 30 to 60 minute top-up charge. After all, they don't usually complain about supplying the power for tools. Certainly, such a charge would get you to the next job......

18/04/2018 07:07:40

Quite Don.

It may have been a Renault. Certainly NIssan have a mid sized electric van available to go now.

It seems VW have big plans for the EV market., both commercial and private. VW's CEO - Mattias Muller - has said that he intends VW to have "at least" 16 EV capable production sites worldwide within the next 4 years. And that the company will also launch a new electric car "virtually every month" from 2019. These will include both pure electric and PHEV types. VW are also to beging offering charging wall-boxes, priced at 300 Euros (about £260) from 2020.

18/04/2018 06:39:37

Frank

The new SUV Vauxhall are pushing is little more than a re-badged Peugeot. I imagine that's come about purely as a result of the recent takeover by the French PSA group. I expect we'll see more of the same too, probably with a gradual phasing out of the pure Vauxhall/Opel models we're familiar with.

Sadly I shan't be a prospective customer. I made the mistake of buying a Peugeot 25+ years ago - a 405 estate - and it was one of the worst cars I've ever owned. A total financial liability/money pit..... Never again.

Tom

I think the commercial vehicle market is more bouyant than the car one presently, and the outlook seems less gloomy too.

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/04/2018 06:43:27

17/04/2018 21:00:25

It seems Vauxhall are to terminate all 300+ of their dealerships. They intend to put the dealers on 2 years notice from the end of this month. The plan is then to carry out a major restructuring of the business, eventually returning with about one third fewer dealers.

Sales are it seems massively down of recent times, and harsh solutions are on the cards..........

Thread: Wing dropping
17/04/2018 20:16:29

One wing heavier than the other Bert. You'd be amazed how many flyers don't check this prior to flight......

It is rare indeed to find a model - built from scratch or artf - with both wing panels weighing the same......

Edited By Percy Verance on 17/04/2018 20:19:22

Thread: NEW POLL! The 2018 Transmitter Survey!
17/04/2018 20:13:32

Further to my post above. The I.D. system is common to the Smart SX transmitter only. The newer Model Safe system is used by some other more advanced MPX systems, and is, I think, programmed at the transmitter.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues