By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy48

Here is a list of all the postings Andy48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: OpenTx - Questions and Problems
15/03/2017 21:10:51
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 15/03/2017 21:01:29:

What if you want to update the OpenTx bootloader? You can't do that while it's running. So you either have to do this using the STM32 Bootloader (Tx off mode) or update it from the SD card.

Quote Re: OpenTx Bootloader:-
The limitation of this mode is that only the OpenTX main radio firmware part is written/flashed. The OpenTX Bootloader part stays unchanged, because the OpenTX Bootloader is currently the active program and can not erase/overwrite itself. This is also to prevent users from inadvertently overwriting their working OpenTX Bootloader with some other non-working version.

I repeat. Read my documentation, "The basics" section pages 10 and 11. It shows you how to update the Bootloader from within OpenTX. Its really easy!

15/03/2017 21:06:20
Posted by Wihtgar on 11/03/2017 20:59:00:

I still can't get the unpowered connected functions as described in the Phillips i.e. the ability to flash the firmware but I'm still running V2.0.9.2 bootloader. The only way I can see to upgrade this at the moment is to load the firmware onto the SD Card and flash it on the Tx. Perhaps this is why the Zadig driver is necessary to be able to talk to the Tx with it switched off?

Nowhere in this documentation does it say you can talk to the Taranis transmitter with it switched off. Its simple, you need to be in bootloader mode.

15/03/2017 20:56:35
Posted by Andy48 on 12/03/2017 11:38:41:

A lot of time could have been saved had you looked at the documentation link I gave on the bottom of page 4 of this topic. Its all there, step by step with illustrations and screenshots on using the main two methods of updating the firmware. See pages 9 and 10 of reference section 1 "The Basics!" There is also a page of explanation about the various firmwares on OpenTX. All the tick boxes for the build options are explained too on page 14.

However, if people prefer to do it the hard way....

Updating the bootloader through OpenTX is in the above reference, page 10 going onto page 11.

15/03/2017 20:54:18
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 15/03/2017 20:37:40:
Posted by Andy48 on 15/03/2017 19:40:40:

I repeat. You NEVER need to use Zadig once you are on OpenTX 2.0 or above. Why do you ever need to talk to the Tx when not in bootloader mode?

When you have a Horus.

True for the Horus whilst OpenTX is still in development, but not the Taranis which is what these guys are using. Such comments only serve to confuse more.

You do not need Zadig to update the bootloader on the Taranis, that is also built into OpenTX.

15/03/2017 19:40:40
Posted by Wihtgar on 15/03/2017 18:16:08:

OK Chris.

Have now got Taranis TX firmware and bootloader up to 2.1.9 but still cannot talk to Tx when not in bootloader mode. Is it as Painless360 said, the Zadig driver has to be used?

Trebor also said he had to use it on his setup.

I repeat. You NEVER need to use Zadig once you are on OpenTX 2.0 or above. Why do you ever need to talk to the Tx when not in bootloader mode?

You do not need to use Zadig to update the bootloader.

14/03/2017 19:23:42

Wow Kevin! Your magician is well travelled. He he!

magician.jpg

Your problem is caused by changing from OpenTX 2.0 to OpenTX 2.1. Not only did they change the way the telemetry is discovered, but they also changed the way the data is stored. Now the GPS data is stored in just one field.

magician b.jpg

There are 2 solutions.

1. Use Excel or similar to convert the appropriate fields. Do not save it in Excel format however.

2. Load a version of Companion 2.0 (It can exist alongside 2.1 on your computer quite happily, and may still be on your system) and use that to send your data to Google Earth.

Thread: Discharging old Lipo batteries, revisited
13/03/2017 11:50:17
Posted by MattyB on 12/03/2017 21:56:41:

So let me check my understanding... you were discharging these packs individually one after the other using a 12V bulb connected across the main power connector? Very strange... I have done that whenever I've been disposing of a battery and have never had any issue getting all cells down to 0.1-0.2V, by which point there is essentially zero energy left in the pack anyway.

Did you actually check the voltage of each cell?

I generally find out a battery is going using the FrSky voltage sensing telemetry, where it warns of the lowest individual cell voltage. I get the warning usually on full power, with a battery that should be at least half charged. When it happens with a fully charged battery I know it is time to dispose of the battery.

Why do all the cells not discharge at the same time? Probably because one cell holds far less charge than the rest and as it discharges the IR rises in that cell and prevents the other cells discharging.

Thread: S8R receivers
13/03/2017 11:44:47

After struggling to get a couple of S8Rs to calibrate, I finally found that some of the first batch are missing the yellow LEDs. T9 have just found out about this, and as always are happy to sort it out.

12/03/2017 20:48:41

The method for discharge used by BMFA however is clearly flawed and does not discharge each cell, unless one connects a resistor to each cell in the battery through the balance port.

Using litium to trace leaks in water mains Hmmm! It has actually been proposed to introduce lithium into water supplies to reduce the suicide rates! **LINK** This adds a different perspective to the BMFA guidance.

Thread: Fusion 360 for modellers
12/03/2017 20:31:59

That's an excellent piece of documentation, beautifully presented. Really impressed! yes

12/03/2017 20:22:58

I had a batch of old lipos to recycle and used my usual method for discharging fully, a 12v car bulb. I then checked all the voltages were at zero, which they were.

Out of curiosity I then checked the individual cells at the balance lead, and found that while every battery had at least one cell at zero, many other cells were as high as 3.8v. Clearly the light bulb discharge method really doesn't work.

I then left them in a strong salt water bath for a week until all the fizzing had stopped. You must leave them outside as the gas given off is hydrogen plus heaven knows what. surprise As can be seen from the photo this produced a lot of gunge. The blue stuff is copper sulphate, the white stuff has come out of the various cell pouches where the pouch had split or not sealed properly. After this treatment, all the cells were at zero volts.

20170213_163403.jpg

Thread: OpenTx - Questions and Problems
12/03/2017 13:23:27

The documentation uses Windows 10. It will look different for anyone still on XP or older.

12/03/2017 11:38:41

A lot of time could have been saved had you looked at the documentation link I gave on the bottom of page 4 of this topic. Its all there, step by step with illustrations and screenshots on using the main two methods of updating the firmware. See pages 9 and 10 of reference section 1 "The Basics!" There is also a page of explanation about the various firmwares on OpenTX. All the tick boxes for the build options are explained too on page 14.

However, if people prefer to do it the hard way....

10/03/2017 22:29:46
Posted by trebor on 10/03/2017 22:26:07:

I had to use the zadig driver.

With OpenTX 2.1 you do not need to use Zadig.

10/03/2017 22:25:10
Posted by Wihtgar on 10/03/2017 21:48:52:

Had to upgrade to ver 2.1.9 to download firmware. Tried to flash TX but error could not write to radio. Tried several times without success. One message re using Zadig driver. Do I have to use this for my version of Taranis?

Documentation here: **LINK**

See the "How to" section for flashing the transmitter and receivers.

10/03/2017 19:50:42

I can't honestly remember whether OpenTX 2.0 supports flashing, but the obvious solution is to update OpenTX to 2.1 first anyway. The whole point of OpenTX is to always use the stable most recent version which is currently 2.1.

As you are only just starting to use it, it will be harder to stick with 2.0.

09/03/2017 18:06:54

OpenTX university is not always up-to-date, it often has sections relating to earlier versions of OpenTX. Have you read through the "Getting Started" section of the documentation I referred to in your other topic? Much of what you wish to do is explained there fully. I would also suggest you start programming using the Companion rather than directly on the transmitter. It is much easier to see what is going on, and it is far quicker. You will soon get the hang of altering things down at the field using the Tx when you are familiar with all the screen on the Companion. You can also use the simulator on Companion to test whether your programming works as expected.

Thread: Horus compatibility question
07/03/2017 11:22:42
Posted by Andy Meade on 07/03/2017 09:36:44:

I didn't think there was a difference in the end product per region? Mine was from T9 and I flashed it with the Rest-of-World firmware.

There isn't a difference in the transmitter, but the firmware loaded onto it is different. T9 can only supply EU LBT compliant transmitters (though receivers seem to be a different matter) whereas Banggood are likely to supply the international firmware. One can, as you suggest, always change the firmware, however, for me it was simply much easier to update everything to EU LBT, which works a treat. I have to say, updating the Horus firmware was not the easiest thing I've had to do.

07/03/2017 09:01:54

If it was bought from Banggood it would seem to be the international version. Looking now, they don't seem to offer an EU version.

How much did you end up paying on import duties?

Thread: Taranis update
05/03/2017 19:42:18
Posted by MattyB on 05/03/2017 19:10:16:

Special functions is the only place you can setup sounds, so yes on that score. I personally do not use the throttle kill option available on special functions though, as it's possible to setup a far superior "sticky" throttle cut using a couple of logical switches that means throttle is only activated if the throttle kill switch is disabled AND the throttle stick itself is at zero. Mike Shellim describes how to do a variant of this on his site. His article on the basics of OpenTX is also well worth a read

Edited By MattyB on 05/03/2017 19:10:51

There's a "How To" to set up a sticky throttle in the documentation reference I gave earlier.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
CML
SHREK
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What's the main radio brand you use? (2017)
Q: What's the main radio brand you use?

FrSky
 Turnigy
 Multiplex
 Hitec
 Futaba
 JR
 Spektrum
 Graupner
 Jeti
 Other

Latest Reviews