By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Charles Smitheman

Here is a list of all the postings Charles Smitheman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Futaba T14SG chat
18/05/2018 07:45:09

Re the touch dial not working: On mine it is sensitive to oily fingers from glow fuel! Cleaning it with detergent and water on a rag solves the problem for me.

Thread: To brake or let prop windmill?
15/03/2018 09:59:46

Hi Marty,

I have a Graupner Dandy (ancient simple glider with no airbrakes) with an electric motor and folder prop for launch. Often if it is too high on landing approach I OPEN the throttle slightly, this gets the prop spinning again, and the model can be seen to slow down and drop noticeably. It is then just a matter of shutting the throttle before touchdown to avoid prop damage. So yes, prop windmilling for steeper slower glide.

I often find it more fun flying a simple old model than the latest fancy gadget!

Charles

Thread: WW1 aircraft film
04/03/2018 16:56:07

At 50 seconds in to the movie the tail of one taking off looks a bit like an Ansaldo SVA but I am not sure...

Two fascinating films. Thanks.

04/03/2018 16:03:56

Ansaldo?

Thread: Moki 61 LS Damage
28/02/2018 17:55:24

There are different fit bearings made. (the clearance between the balls and the races) I think from memory a C3 is standard. Check that the bearing is not a too close tolerance one which could possibly cause it to get tight.

Also be certain that the bearing is identical to the old one, sometimes metric and imperial sizes are very close.

Usually the front bearing is OK, you could try refitting the old one if so. As the bearing is probably the cheapest part it might be an idea to try another new one first.

I recently had trouble getting the two engines in my Harmony to perform the same. I discovered eventually that the rear rubber sealed bearing (OS52fs) on one engine was really tight compared to the other engine. (different bearing manufacturers) I replaced both engines bearings with identical ones to solve the problem.

Charles

Thread: The WORST plane you ever had?
20/02/2018 07:59:45

Garfield showing off his pizza toppingsgarfield 2.jpg

20/02/2018 07:55:56

As far as the way it flew this has to be it, but what a laugh! I made Garfield for a club open day some years back. The family all helped, My wife and daughter made the pizza toppings out of modelling clay. I could not find a plan so just made it up as I went along. The first launch indicated that the cg was too far back, as it did a very tight loop and tried to take my sons head off (the launcher). I eventually added one foot of lead pipe to the leading edge to get the cg to 25%. It flew ok unless you touched down elevator, which resulted in an instant inverted snap roll. Eventually last year the Webra speed 61 went dead stick. The glide was abut a 70 degree angle. It "landed" on the runway, but the lead pipe ballast removed itself from the airframe. So long Garfield.garfield 1.jpg

Thread: Unrecognisable ARTFs - new paint jobs!
20/02/2018 07:38:15

Here is my Ripmax Harmony. I added flaps, made the uc legs longer (had to move the wheel wells) replaced all the horrible plastic bits with balsa, and used a cut down Sebart Angel 50 canopy. It can do 540 deg stall turns! devilharmony.jpg

Thread: Old On/Off Switch - big voltage drop!
16/02/2018 12:21:17

Agree with the above, In my experience the switch is possibly the number one cause of radio failures (along with dodgy wiring in general). Testing it as the OP did is an excellent wheeze, I have been doing similarly, and have thrown away a good few switches. The Futaba HD one is my favourite, but my LHS states that they are discontinued. I hope he is wrong.

Thread: Powered by Laser, a gallery thread
14/02/2018 12:17:37

Phil, it is the 1/4 scale one, I think the 1/3 scale one is a single holer. It is not light; the wing spars for example are spectacular bits of spruce. I fitted split flaps which add to the fun and make landings a doddle. You can just see them extended in this pic.spacewalker cropped.jpg

Thread: Enya 60 III model 7033
14/02/2018 08:11:02

Alan you came up trumps! I have ordered one from the EBay seller in your link. Many thanks Charles. yes

Thread: G-Mark 1.2 Twin
13/02/2018 12:26:41

I see that I failed to give any feedback of my fun and games with this engine last summer. Better late than never they say, so here it is.

I ran the engine in successfully (using the 12% Opti fuel) I flew it in the Svenson Baronett. and it had oodles of power for the job. In fact it was idling most of the time. The idle was totally reliable. Starting once run in was easy, it was even possible to start it on one pot, then to energise the second one once it was running with the glow stick. The plugs used were OS8.

The only downside to the project is that it has been deemed too noisy for our club. It does have a pretty healthy crackle to it at full power. So I need to manufacture a silencer, and this has not happened yet.

Thanks once again for the advice.

Thread: Enya 60 III model 7033
13/02/2018 10:05:19

Thanks so much for the tips, I shall do some further searching.

Charles

13/02/2018 08:15:10

kwik fli iii.jpgI have just purchased this model (Thanks Peter) and flew it on Sunday. It is powered by the above mentioned vintage Enya.

The engine is in good condition apart from the cylinder liner, which appears to have suffered dirt ingress and is scored. The engine runs, but is weak, and has very low compression.

The part number from Steve Webb models is 60IIIB04 for an new cylinder and piston, but it is unavailable anymore.

Does anyone have an part to help me out or an old engine for spares, or know of someone who can repair it? I would like to keep the engine in this model as it is correct for the period.

Thanks, Charles

Thread: Powered by Laser, a gallery thread
13/02/2018 08:05:06

spacewalker 051217.jpgThis is my Sig Spacewalker II, well powered by a lovely Laser 150.

Thread: Lidl Sander
09/02/2018 07:58:09

Have to say thanks to you all for the heads up on this one. I snuck off work and got one yesterday. Plenty at the Gap RD Wimbledon branch. It looks very good.for the price. No more excuses now to get building.

I also got the jiggly cut into the corners thingy (general purpose cutter sander?) which looks great. With a fine blade it should have model building applications too. I was thinking perhaps for removing a skew fin perhaps. surprise

Thread: Re: Death of IC
01/02/2018 08:03:25

RIP IC. smiley Just send me your engines then....

Thread: Graupner Amigo 2 kit build
23/09/2017 11:28:45

Great stuff, thanks for the memories!

15/09/2017 07:59:33

This brings back many memories.

Keep up the good work.

Thread: LiPO Fire extinguisher help needed
11/08/2017 15:34:36

Thanks for that link. So the bucket of water is a good idea after all.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues