By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Etheridge 1

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Etheridge 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: **NEW POLL** How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
24/04/2017 18:59:22

None but there is potential in my wardrobe, a KK Caprice, and Mercury control liner that need building. In my loft there is a Veron Mini Concord and two Chris Olsen built planes waiting for works amongst the 30 odd other models, which include two Junior 60's, one KK Falcon and a Mercury Matador plus Chris Olsen's last Uproar all built from plans.

Rather than build from plans I have an untouched Weston Velocity 52, a Flair SE5A and repaired Super Air and Middle phase 2 that have yet to fly.

Thread: Sopwith Pup with ASP FT160 twin
24/04/2017 08:43:09

I watched the video on our club's website. As you mentioned the plane now sounds right and it now should do well if not win the club's scale day?

Thread: plans printing in kent
05/04/2017 14:28:13

There are some plan printers in Chatterton Road Bromley where Avicraft are located.

Thread: Caption competition!
28/03/2017 18:44:27

It's alright the Spitfire has an overcarriage !

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 28/03/2017 18:45:22

Thread: New project, Avro Shackleton 72" span
24/03/2017 20:26:17

I have just checked out the Gatwick website, they still have one Shackleton which had jet engine take off assistance, not rocket..

www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk

24/03/2017 20:18:36

I was amazed to be told at the Gatwick aircraft museum that the Shackleton (not all) could have rocket assisted take off and had facilities for carrying a nuclear bomb. They had two Shackletons at the museum and one was accessible. My friend and I had long discussions with some former crew members in the cramped fuselage interior of the Shackleton, which was considered a 'live' aircraft as it was capable engine runs.

Thread: Model Gliders & the Law
24/03/2017 15:13:40

This was quite a good video from the Goodwind chaps, I was there on the day in 2009

https://vimeo.com/2881046

24/03/2017 14:41:10

Josh,

Depending on the glider's construction it might be worth trying it out at slope soaring ?. You do not mention where you are based but if you did find a suitable slope with the wind in the right direction then there may be some regular 'slopers' who will give you some instruction.

Look on the website 'Slopehunter' and if you do make a trip then take some warm 'thermal' or similar clothing including gloves and a hat Look also on the 'Goodwind' slope soaring website..

Thread: Recipes you love to cook
21/03/2017 21:48:23

Nobody has mentioned that us aeromodellers should only use plane flour!

I did the cooking tonight as my wife was busy at her tutoring role at a college. Often when our boys were young I would be faced with cooking for them especially when I was self employed and worked at home . None of the family liked set menus for the week so I was often faced with complaints. Tonight's meal has been banned in the past, it was Mary Berry's Tuna and Spinach Linguine. The recipe includes garlic,shallots, anchovy fillets red chilli,baby capers and cherry tomatoes apart from the spinach,tuna and linguine. It was served with lemon juice and Parmesan cheese.

My wife's speciality when we were first married was soot pie!

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
20/03/2017 12:06:39

Marriage is all about sharing:

The man placed an order for one hamburger, French fries and a drink.

He unwrapped the plain hamburger and carefully cut it in half, placing one half in front of his wife

He then carefully counted out the French fries, dividing them into two piles and neatly placed one pile in front of his wife.

He took a sip of the drink, his wife took a sip and then set the cup down between them. As he began to eat his few bites of hamburger, the people around them were looking over and whispering

Obviously they were thinking, 'That poor old couple - all they can afford is one meal for the two of them.'

As the man began to eat his fries a young man came to the table and politely offered to buy another meal for the old couple. The old man said,they were just fine - they were used to sharing everything.

People closer to the table noticed the little old lady hadn't eaten a bite. She
sat there watching her husband eat and occasionally taking turns sipping the drink..

Again, the young man came over and begged them to let him buy another meal for them. This time the old woman said 'No, thank you, we are used to sharing everything.'

Finally, as the old man finished and was wiping his face neatly with the napkin, the young man again came over to the little old lady who had yet to eat a single bite of food and asked 'What is it you are waiting for?'

She answered

(Continue below - This is great)

'THE TEETH.'

Thread: BMFA NEWS
17/03/2017 22:12:05

Anyone know what happened to page 7 -see index?

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
13/03/2017 16:22:26

Try this pre-flight information:

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/TxNrizGdhtY?vq=hd720&rel=0&showinfo=0&start=0&end=

09/03/2017 10:20:35

This almost counts as a joke:

http://surprise.ly/v/?PK0Hl0kWELE:0:0:0:100

Thread: Frog Jackdaw conversion to electric
03/03/2017 23:21:27

I found this old article from the Aeromodeller and it confirms the input from Stuart Uwins and Chris Olsen on the Jackdaw design. The radio installation which is only partially dealt with on this page seems quite complex and must have been a nightmare to set up? The advertisement below is taken from the same magazine and somehow the date has gone back to 1961 !

001 jackdaw.jpg

001 jackdaw 2.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 03/03/2017 23:33:01

Thread: Time to change car
02/03/2017 19:57:10

Good points chaps but my garage is only big enough for a small car such as my wife's old Polo Ranger. The garage is the only place where I can build or repair models and it's also full of University stuff in large storage boxes. As I am retired I must admit that I have not had to use the front screen heater much this year as any ice has generally melted by the time I get moving. We have found that despite their build quality VW cars are dreadful for screen clearance as you often need to clear frost from the insides of the cars as well as the outside. This has always been the case with the Polo Ranger from new and my wife's Golf MK 5 was not much better and neither is my youngest son's Polo FSI. My first car was an Austin A30 which had no heater or screen washer, how did I ever manage?

02/03/2017 15:09:21

I must admit I bought the Jaguar when a 35 year term Endowment policy matured. It has been ideal over the last 10 years for shifting both my boys gear when they went to university. My biggest model is a KK Falcon at 8ft span but most are 5 to 6 feet span, and I am unlikely to buy any of the ready made models with mega sized engines, so the Jaguar Estate is plenty big enough.

I forgot to mention that it has a heated front screen and an automatic setting on the wipers, so on a frosty morning there is no scraping of the windscreen, you just press one switch that initiates the front and rear screen and wing mirror heating. They can be switched individually / manually as well There are other features that have appeared on my wife's new Seat such as air conditioning, but she would have loved the heated front screen that are only available on Fords and Minis and possibly the new Jaguars I think? No 'Run Flat' tyres on either car fortunately and both have spare wheels.

01/03/2017 17:18:06

MattyB did not mention the X-type Jaguar Estate. I know it's a Mondeo in disguise but my 2.00 litre diesel SE has been very good with over 40 to the gallon fuel consumption, leather interior with heated front seats, electric wing mirrors that are also heated, an electrically adjusted driver's seat, integral Sat nav, cruise control and plenty of room for planes. It's done 59,000 miles to date and now not worth much so I could recommend to modellers that have not got a large budget but would like a bit of luxury to go and buy an X-type but not mine as I cannot afford a new one.

28/02/2017 00:37:59

Percy,

I cannot imagine these small turbo charged engines lasting long especially the three cylinder types, but what do I know.? The Peugeot 3008 SUV I rode in had a 1.2 three cylinder engine and a remarkable performance. That said I have also ridden in a new Seat Leon Cupra last year with a 2 litre engine rated at about 260 BHP that was much quicker !

Thread: 1/5th scale Supermarine S6b
24/02/2017 22:36:15

Not very good photographs but I think this is an S6B at the Solent Museum in Southampton ?.

076.jpg

090.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 24/02/2017 22:37:17

Thread: Multiplex Twin Star. Owners Thoughts and experiences.
23/02/2017 15:42:47

Moving the battery forward to move the G/G forward Patmac. Ever tried moving the C/G too far back by shifting the battery location, I have it would not fly! . My battery wedges between two strips of adhesive backed sponge rubber and is very secure but also adjustable. I have wondered with the brushless motor and two speed controller set up how every thing can be accommodated in the fuselage recess? I assume with a lipo battery less space is required?

During the last eleven years apart from breaking the plastic wing joiners and cockpit clips I have had one aileron servo fail and issues with a propeller detaching from a motor shaft. Also the supplied Multiplex cable connector that links the wing servos and motors has fallen apart and I have replaced it with a couple of electrical 'fixed connectors' unfixed of course.

p2220232.jpg Twin Star

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 23/02/2017 15:50:57

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
CML
Skip Model April
SHREK
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
Q: How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?

5 to 10
 10+
 15+
 20+

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us