By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for brokenenglish

Here is a list of all the postings brokenenglish has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Excerpt from Aero modeller 1971
16/02/2018 21:38:34

There are a few errors here. Of course, Len Ranson wrote some wonderful humour as Pylonius.

While Peter is correct in suggesting that Pylonius was in "Model Aircraft", he's perhaps forgotten that Model Aircraft ceased publication in the mid-sixties. The last issue was December 1965. After that, it was officially "incorporated into Aeromodeller", so the best MA features were transferred to Aeromodeller, including Pylonius and the late John O'Donnell's unequalled free flight discussions and reports.

For PatMc, Ray Malmström was "Fliar Phil", not Pylonius.

Thread: Solarfilm
15/02/2018 17:32:21

OK Percy, so brush the stuff onto the structure, and not on the material !

Edited By brokenenglish on 15/02/2018 17:33:02

Thread: Spektrum DX6 Tx battery alarm
14/02/2018 09:26:20

Thanks for all your opinions and advice.

On my old DX6i, as mentioned, I always charge before every session, and I don't ever recall seeing a displayed voltage of less than 5V. So I'll go along with the consensus and set an alarm value of 4.8V.

Thanks again!

13/02/2018 21:22:40
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 13/02/2018 20:55:56:

Broken, your Dx6i has a low voltage alarm at 4.3v, I don't know what it is on the newer Dx6, but 4.3v is pretty low and means land immediately. I never ran my Dx6i that low, but recharged when the on screen voltage hit 4.8v. The setting options on the newer Tx which does different battery types are to cater for that.

Thanks Frank. You've hit on what sparked my question.

I thought that if I set "battery type" to NiMH, then the Tx software would automatically set a low voltage value.
However, I think this isn't so. I think you still have to set an actual voltage value... Hence my question.

As you suggest, 4.8V sounds reasonable and safe, but I have zero knowledge and I'd appreciate knowledgeable confirmation!

13/02/2018 20:44:59

Thanks Denis (again). I think I found that link, but it seems to mainly discuss Rx cells.

I was thinking not in terms of cell voltage, but in terms of the minimum safe voltage needed by the transmitter to operate properly.

13/02/2018 19:34:41

Gentlemen, I have an "idiot" question (sorry!).

I've been flying with a DX6i for the last few years, powered by 4 eneloop cells that are always charged before every session. I've never had the slightest problem, so I intend to continue like that.

However, I've just "upgraded" to a DX6, so I now have a Tx low voltage alarm. The instructions are very clear on setting the type of battery used, but no actual voltage level is given...

So, my obvious question is: when operating a DX6 on 4 eneloops, what would be a reasonable and, above all SAFE, voltage value at which the low voltage alarm should be activated?

I have to say that I'm surprised that I haven't found an answer either in the Spektrum instructions or in any of our threads, which leads me to suspect that I may be particularly stupid and missing something obvious ...

Thread: 4.8 v or 6 v receiver battery
10/02/2018 21:52:27
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 10/02/2018 17:21:37:

People on here are still talking of NiCads. I believe that these have not even been manufactured for several years due to the toxicity so if you are still using them then it is high time for the (recycle) bin. Ever heard of a turbine or LMA type model flying with them?

Martin, this just shows the differences between us, and therefore the value of discussion.

I'm one of the people who've mentioned Nicads... So:

Firstly, Nicads are still available and, if you want them, you'll be able to obtain them (Tower Hobbies, for example).

Secondly, be aware that when we were forced to change from Nicads to NiMH, there are some applications that no longer worked acceptably (spark ignition systems). This taught me that NiMH are far "weaker" than NiCd. You just don't get the same power, and IMO this has been conveniently "forgotten". I therefore decided to stay with NiCd for my Rx power, for as long as possible. This "as long as possible" factor hasn't yet failed, i.e. NiCd are still available...

The reason that I was drawn into this discussion is that I wanted to learn whether some form of Lithium technology would offer a more powerful alternative to NiMH. If that's the case, I'm interested... If not, I'll stay with NiCd in preference to NiMH.

10/02/2018 11:54:41
Posted by Denis Watkins on 10/02/2018 08:59:10:
Posted by brokenenglish on 09/02/2018 21:42:00:

As you say, " never a problem " most sport set ups, with standard servos, normal surfaces, and flying without making the pilot unwell in the cockpit, the equipment was designed to run on 4.8v 4 cell packs.

6v 5 cell packs are commercially available from the same 4.8v supplier.

Do not just carte blanc fit 6v packs

If you fly larger surfaces, on a model like you stole it, with larger servos and 6v RX with 6v servos, then fit 6v 5cell RX pack

Check your equipment recommendations and decide.

My own set ups, like yours are 4.8v, with proper charging and checking are as manufacturers recommend and no problem

Edited By Denis Watkins on 10/02/2018 09:00:40

Thanks Denis. My flying is fairly sedate, so I'm reassured by yourself and PC.

09/02/2018 21:42:00

I'm looking for advice in this area as well. My systems are Spektrum, usually with Orange receivers.

By 6V, do you mean 5 NiMH cells?

What 6V receiver packs are commercially available?

I should mention that I'm still using 4-cell Nicad receiver packs, which haven't seen much use but have been in my possession for a few years(!).

Perhaps I should be replacing my Nicad packs, but I test them regularly and I've never had the slightest problem.

Thread: Re: Death of IC
31/01/2018 18:43:33
Posted by Jon Laughton on 31/01/2018 18:11:42:

Good commentary John - I agree completely!

So do I.

With all due respect, this is a pointless discussion. If anything "dies" it can only be because insufficient people are interested, so there's no problem.

I prefer IC, but I also fly electric because sometimes it's more convenient.

I think the OP is being blinded by the "trade" element. The problem for the trade is that anyone who has a broad selection of lastest generation glow engines may never need to buy another engine for the rest of his life(!), which is probably my case. Obviously, the trade can't live with that (literally!), so we're being nudged (brainwashed) into thinking that all smallish planes must be electric and all larger planes should be petrol engine powered, for peanuts in fuel economy...

Personally, I think we should all adopt the attitude that the trade should supply what we need. We should not be totally changing our modelling just to enable the trade to sell something else...

Thread: First build
27/01/2018 16:21:51

Robert, it depends on what your criteria are. Obviously, the trailing edge shouldn't be like that but, to be honest, I don't see anything that will stop the plane from flying.

You'll be able to "trim it out" in flight. One amusing possibility would be to try to build the other wing the same embarrassed

Thread: Aeronca Sedan
18/01/2018 17:42:20

Yeah, but as PatMc and myself suggested, if you're looking for a tough all-weather model with a fairly high airspeed, then a vintage free flight Aeronca Sedan may not be an ideal starting point.

The beauty (charm) of such models is that they're light and fly slowly (around scale speed), and are both aesthetically pleasing and relaxing to fly. Your proposed mods will destroy all that, and bring you back to the conclusion that you've picked the wrong model for rough weather, high speed flying.

Only my opinion of course, but I think you'd be disappointed with the result and you'd completely miss out on the real qualities of the model.

15/01/2018 21:34:09

Respectfully, I'm always amazed when builders take a super old model, that's been flying perfectly well for decades, and decide, for no clear reason, that the plane is "liable" to all sorts of problems (that no-one has ever experienced), and therefore needs to be extensively modified.

IMO, the Sedan built exactly to plan, with minimum mods for radio, and a PAW 15 or 19, would be superb.

With a competition glider wing section (!), you're going to end up with a high-speed powered glider. There must be other designs that are more suitable for that kind of flying.

Sorry, please don't take offence, it's only my opinion!

Thread: Ancient Engine ID?
13/01/2018 10:03:21

Here are all the diesel K Vultures.

k vulture compo.jpg

12/01/2018 18:21:25
Posted by Percy Verance on 12/01/2018 17:57:33:

Mmm, well it's old/interesting. Looks to be the 781st one they made too. Beyond that I have no idea.......

The knurled ring looks a bit of an oddity.

Percy, it looks like S/N 731 to me.

Thread: Considering going electric - advice rplease
11/01/2018 10:48:07

To go back to the OP, you don't have to "go electric", or "go" anything else.

I've been flying both for the last five years, and flying both suits me fine.

There are contexts in which electric will be more convenient, and contexts in which you'll get more pleasure from i.c.

Thread: DB matador
08/01/2018 06:46:54
Posted by Cliff 1959 on 07/01/2018 22:24:20:
A lovely Matador built by Dave Boddington has come into my possession and I was wondering what diesel is in it, possibly a DC, it's got a red head?
I dare not fly it free flight but it seems a shame to rc it! pics to follow.

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 07/01/2018 22:25:35

Yeah, the engine shown in the photo is a DC Sabre.

Thread: Nitro proof Matt spay over ovacover
30/12/2017 17:30:07

The real problem is that if you want a matt finish, then you picked the wrong covering material.

Thread: Is traditional building a disappearing art?
25/12/2017 10:22:18

It can't be disappearing that fast... This debate has been going on for decades...

Thread: P.A.W. 1.49 plain bearing - can't adjust compression
17/12/2017 18:10:47

Tom, you may have found a reason for erratic running. I think there should be a gasket on the backplate.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues