By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Freeman 3

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Freeman 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Finnish Brewster 1/3,4 scale
25/04/2017 14:53:55

Very nice workmanship, I will be watching the progress on this. The long cold winters do have an advantage when it comes to projects like this

Thread: DB Apprentice
19/04/2017 09:01:22

Hi Alex

Thanks for the information, I did cut off the tailplane and added elastics to hold it in position. With a 4mm shim added I can now get it to fly but find the rudder marginal in the respose, I need to ask it to turn and cannot tell it to do so! I like the colours that you used and still find it strange that an airframe that looks so good can be such a blighter to get it to fly well. I need to try move the CG position to help the rudder response. I see the old Dremel jigsaw on the workbench, Mine is the most important tool in the workshop.

19/04/2017 09:01:22

Hi Alex

Thanks for the information, I did cut off the tailplane and added elastics to hold it in position. With a 4mm shim added I can now get it to fly but find the rudder marginal in the respose, I need to ask it to turn and cannot tell it to do so! I like the colours that you used and still find it strange that an airframe that looks so good can be such a blighter to get it to fly well. I need to try move the CG position to help the rudder response. I see the old Dremel jigsaw on the workbench, Mine is the most important tool in the workshop.

Thread: Model flying photos you're proud of
11/04/2017 05:32:28

mad models electric flying 056.jpgWhen you read the books on the Spitfire test flights you will read some great stories about the inverted flight with Spitfires. Alex Henshaw once did an inverted pass at lamp post hight down the main road in Birmingham and was not sure why the mayor was not impressed. My son decided to see if the Spifire could fly inverted, this is a Mick Reeves 1/6 scale model.

mad models electric flying 040.jpg

11/04/2017 05:24:08

I Thought I must show you what the real meaning of a Dawn Patrol is. This was a early morning test session with a Brain Taylor P47 that I built as an electric. Flew very well after I figured out that I must warm the Lipo's before use as it was winter for us in Africa.p1010961.jpgp47 flying 009.jpg

Thread: Husky 108" kit/plan identification help!
29/03/2017 06:25:20

Looks like a Bud Nosen Citabria as they had a 3 piece wing and no doors in the fuselage. The cowl looks like a Super Cub, must have been an after market addition as the Bud Nosen kit had a built up balsa cowl

Thread: lipos in parallel
24/03/2017 13:46:04

I thought so too untill I ruined a new pack which was paired with an older one.

24/03/2017 13:44:38

Thanks, I think I must convert to elastics to mount the tail so I can use a packer under the trailing edge. Will try on the weekend

Thread: Cooltech RFA05 rx
24/03/2017 10:29:02

I have used a few of the receivers and had no issues with them. I found the case was very tight for the servo connectors to fit. have one of the receivers in a 80F/S stick and the other in an electric Tomboy.

Thread: lipos in parallel
24/03/2017 08:37:45

Keep the flight times a little shorter in the beginning as 1 pack will have higher draw than the other, can be quite a lot if the match is not good. The stronger pack will have a higher utilisation.

24/03/2017 04:53:56

This is the trainer and radio that I builtkitfox 142.jpg

24/03/2017 04:51:02

I have recently received a push button 2.4 radio that was made by a friend and then given to me. It is quite a steep learning curve trying to trim and fly like it was done in the old days. built a basit trainer in a afternoon and it flies quite well but a better airframe was needed.

When I was a kid I used to ream my dads RCM&E mags and loved the articles by DB who was a legend in my opinion. When I older and working at South African Airways I had the privilege of speending time with him on a number of occasions and even built a few prototypes for some of his plans. The one thing I new about DB was that he had a gift for designing aircraft that were easier to build and all flew very well. I decided that I would build an Apprentice as I liked the looks and it reminded me of the Veron Impala that my dad had started to teach me to fly in the early 70,s. The Impala still had a escapement(servo) in it.

The plan from outerzone was enlarged and the airframe built to the plan but I had to increase the size of the pylon a little to accomodate the electric motor that I wanted to use. One thing that I did find surprising was that the tailplane was glued to the fuselage and not held with elastics so that would make trimming little more difficult. The long dorsal fin made it hard to use elastics so I decided to go according to the design.

Soon the aircraft was ready to fly and I decided to go to a field with long grass to do the test flights just like it was done in the old days. Due to the motor being on a pylon I did the first launches with only a little power to prevent the motor forcing the nose down. First launch resulted in a nose dive into the ground less than 2 meters in front of me. Try again with no power, same result.

Take home and consider options, I removed some of the nose weight ans reduce some of the down thrust. Tried again with the same result. A friend looked at the design and suggested moving the wing forward as the lip on the fuselage would increase the incidence on the wing and motor. Tried again with much the same result. More packing, same result. I then downloaded the impala plans to see if I could find any clue to what is wrong with my Apprentice. The plans had quite a number of tips on how to trim the aircraft and it was clearly stated not to change the incidence but rather trim with moving the cg position which I noted was further aft than the apprentice.

I then removed most of the lead I had used and went to the field around the corner. It had started to drizzle a bit but there was no wind so I decided to try anyway. I was sure that the Apprentice would now fly. A little power, launch and a dive into the soft ground 3 meters in front of me. Take more lead out, cg around 50% of wing, add more upthrust to the motor and try again, same result. Move lipo back, more up thrust, same result. I then looked at the situation and laughed at myself and thought a Dave would be finding this all very funny as he had a wicked sense of humour.

Has anyone built and flown an Apprentice or have any ideas for me.

kitfox 395.jpg kitfox 396.jpg

Thread: Old Timer Kadet's
22/03/2017 08:55:16

Just over 3 years ago I was taught the true meaning of the words PAY IT FORWARD when our house was destroyed in a lipo fire. Many guys in the modeling community assisted us with things to help get my son and I going again as I never insured my modeling equipment as it my hobby and try not to place values on what I have. I buy things when they are available and have well stocked cuboards so I do not have to go buy things to build but do buy to replace stock. A very simplistic way of doing things but it worked for me. We had over 140 complete aircraft destroyed in the fire and have no idea how we paid for all the stuff.

Since then I once again have a well stocked workshop and have the choice of aircraft to fly so it is only fair that I give back to this great hobby.

Dave, the Airframe in the corner is a Eindeckerish, that is what we call it, built 2 of them. Will be a plan feature for Traplet when I finish the article.kitfox 382 (3).jpg

22/03/2017 04:58:36

I have 2 Old Friends that are over 75 years old that are long time flying Buddies. The one is a very good with metal work and the other better with wood. The metal guy is Colin and he has problems with skitfox 360.jpghaky hands that is getting worse and has reached the stage that he no longer flies his faster aircraft and even started talking about stopping flying. I decided that I would build him a Kadet Senior scaled down a bit to 90% which is still a 70 inch wingspan. I added all the features that Colin likes such a 4 stroke motor, silk covering on the fuselage and wheel spats. My son and his girlfriend helped with the building, we started on 24 December and test flew on 2 January. Colin did not know about the build until it was presented to him at one of our vintage aircraft days. He was blown away and loves his Kadet.

Alex was a little jealous of Colin' s new Kadet as his is over 20 years old and the monoke is now very brittle and requires patching after very outing, so I decided I had better build another one. This took a little longer as I did not have any help and no public holidays to aid production. Test flew the second one yesterday as it was a public / Bank holiday yesterday and it flies just as well. Aircraft will be handed over on Sunday at the next Vintage aircraft meeting.

kitfox 389 (2).jpgkitfox 391 (2).jpgkitfox 387 (2).jpg

Thread: The fuel tank puzzle
13/03/2017 14:00:05

A stick with an upright motor will often result in the center of the tank tank being below the center of the carb which will then be the opposite when inverted. I side mount the motors on my sticks to overcome this. I would say the drop in revs is it is rich when inverted.

Thread: RCM&E Autumn Special 2015- New 72" Mossi
13/03/2017 05:54:32

p1010347.jpgp1010340.jpgI love the shape of the mosquito and built a BT one a few years ago and converted to electic. I build and fly for the fun of it so I do not go overboard with detail as I want to be able to enjoy the flying aspect as well. I kept the weight to minimuim to improve the flying side as in Johannesburg we have fot and high conditions. My final weight was 5.5 kg which was a little lighter than BT's one. Flew very well from the first flight and showed just how good the real aircraft was. Martin, I am sure you will be rewarded with great aircraft.

_dsc3386.jpg

Thread: DH87B Hornet Moth
07/03/2017 13:19:17

Great build so far, I find my building ability reduces as the size reduces.

Thread: Fokker D8
07/03/2017 13:01:18

I have flown 2 Fokker D8's and both flew very well, 1 was 1/2 scale and overweight and the other was 1/4 scale but quite light. Both were a challenge on the ground as they are top heavy so you need to keep the wing as light as possible. My 1/4 one had the wheels joined to the axel and this helped the ground handling as both wheels turned at the same speed. The axel has brass tube bushings.

Peter

I once read a editorial by DB about some guy giving up the hobby as after 4 years he no longer found it a challenge, DB said that even if he lived for another 40 years he would not be able to do half the things he wanted to do. I see that even you after all these years are still learning! My apprenticeship in the hobby is now going on 46 years.

Thread: Mitsubishi Zero
01/03/2017 08:04:51

Very nice build so far, I have the plan and could be tempted to build one as a Zero is a great flying aircraft. Thanks for posting the build so far.

Thread: Brian Taylor Spitfire Mk 1 C of G
01/03/2017 08:02:15

2 Sundays ago a club member brought his new Seagull PT 19 to test fly. Nice looking aircraft that was powered by a Saito 180. I watched the flight that started with a take off run that was very short as the aicraft almost nosed over on take off and when up was given it lept into the air, lucky the power was enough to drag it to a safe altitude. The landing was a porpoise approach ending in a nose over. Later the owner asked my son to help trim it out but I saw the take off was another leap into the air and the landing was good but not the normal smooth approach that Byron does. I asked Byron if the elevator was not too sensitive and he replied that it was. Whilst reducing the elevator movement they also found that 40% expo was used so it was reduced to 10%. The aircraft was flown again and the owner could not beleive how much better it flew.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Skip Model April
Overlander
SHREK
CML
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
Q: How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?

5 to 10
 10+
 15+
 20+

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us