By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Freeman 3

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Freeman 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spitfire takeoff accident at french airshow
15/06/2017 12:41:21

At Oshkosh a number of years ago a famous pilot died in what I recall was a landing accident in a Sea Fury. One of the marshals wrote that he was one of the first to reach the overturned airframe and that that it took quite a while for emergency teams to arrive and get the body of the pilot out. The postmortem showed that the pilot had suffocated to death due to the angle of his head and neck in the inverted aircraft on the ground. Had those marshals done what these guys did, then that pilot would be alive today.

Thread: matched engines for a twin
09/06/2017 13:33:44

Many years ago I built a Dornier Skyservant that I designed as I thought that it would be an ideal twin engine test bed with the sub wing with the engines on. I used 2 new ST 45K motors and both had the same set up. In the beginning a tach was used to try set the motors as close to each other as possible. I had more problems doing it this way than setting each engine up to a reliable setting individually. I eventually found that one motor ran better with muffler pressure and the other was best without? This aircraft flew for 15 years like that until I had a brass tube break in the tank due to old age.

Thread: Shuttleworth Gladiator Engine Problem
05/06/2017 10:34:15

My Mistake, I see it was Seafire, is that new on the circuit?

05/06/2017 10:32:59

Not sure what Merlin is in a Seafury?

Thread: Saito 90 flat twin-enough power?
05/06/2017 10:31:24

My Son has a SAITO 100 that I use in my Eindekkerish and I have a Saito 180 in a 1/3 scale Kitfox. Both are very reliable and start easily with great idles. No onboard glow is used and only the normal glo-sticks to start . The 100 is very happy with a 15x6 wood prop and the 180 turns a 18x8 well. The fuel I use is 7 /2% m and 71/2% synthetic with 10% nitro. The motors are easier to set up than what I expected they would be, just take your time and adjust the needles slowly.

Thread: Hawker Hurricane by John Timmis
26/05/2017 10:09:38

Hi John

That airframe is just beautiful, I love the Hurricane airframe with all the stringers. The bad part of your build is I have a DB kit that I want to build but I need to finish some of my other projects and these pictures make it harder to resist starting building. I am getting some great ideas from your build and will use them when resistance fails.

Thread: creating accurately sprung scale U/C
24/05/2017 11:38:32

Gee that is neat, I will not show my metal and soldering skills on a public forum! I like to work with wood not metal.

Thread: Strange issue with Hitec 311 servos
24/05/2017 11:33:04

I have the same situation with new CYS 3006 servo, also FF9 35 meg radio but I know it is the sevo not the radio. It is just like it looses the centre position when you switch on, Gave it a work out on a servo tester for about 1 hour with no issues. Behaved itself for about 15 flights the suddenly moved. I have it on throttle but now need to change it.

Thread: Gee Bee Model D
24/05/2017 11:06:54

Many years ago I watched the video of the Delmar Bengimin/ Steve Wolf replica that they made. One of the most touching parts was when Delmar flew the GeeBeeR for Bob Hall and his wife who were very old by then. You have to see how this aircraft performed to see that it was not a bad design but was just too hot for the pilots who flew it. Delmar even scrapped an aileron on landing when the aircraft was still new and never repaired it as he said it was a reminder that you got aileron reversal at something like 90mph so it had to be kept above that on landing!

I saw one of the original demonstration flights of this replica at Oskosh in 1994 and most people were waiting for the crash but saw a routine that included knife edge passes, slow rolls and inverted passes a few feet of the ground. fantastic to watch and made me fall in love with the Gee Bee aircraft. Nice aircraft but a real challenge to land.

I have this kit that I bought partially built along with the E as well and hope to finish them someday. Great work so far and I am watching the progress.

Thread: Scale Trainer?
15/05/2017 14:47:05

I have built a few of the DB Sport and scale Cubs and found them to be great flying Cubs. The lighter the better and I have one now with clipped wings and flies on a Park 25 electric motor with 3 cells. My first one built nearly 25 years ago was solartex that was sprayed and had floats was over powered with a ST 60.

Thread: twin engine model thread
09/05/2017 09:18:52

p1010400.jpgp1010384.jpgp1010347.jpgp1010184.jpgI have had quite a few twins over the last 30years, electric has made it so much easier but nothing beats the challenge of getting glow motors to run well in a twin. Most of these aircraft were donated to the fire gods! I now have a hanger 9 B25 and am now busy fixing a unflown ESM B 25 that I bought after it fell from a ceiling.092.jpg

Thread: Finnish Brewster 1/3,4 scale
25/04/2017 14:53:55

Very nice workmanship, I will be watching the progress on this. The long cold winters do have an advantage when it comes to projects like this

Thread: DB Apprentice
19/04/2017 09:01:22

Hi Alex

Thanks for the information, I did cut off the tailplane and added elastics to hold it in position. With a 4mm shim added I can now get it to fly but find the rudder marginal in the respose, I need to ask it to turn and cannot tell it to do so! I like the colours that you used and still find it strange that an airframe that looks so good can be such a blighter to get it to fly well. I need to try move the CG position to help the rudder response. I see the old Dremel jigsaw on the workbench, Mine is the most important tool in the workshop.

19/04/2017 09:01:22

Hi Alex

Thanks for the information, I did cut off the tailplane and added elastics to hold it in position. With a 4mm shim added I can now get it to fly but find the rudder marginal in the respose, I need to ask it to turn and cannot tell it to do so! I like the colours that you used and still find it strange that an airframe that looks so good can be such a blighter to get it to fly well. I need to try move the CG position to help the rudder response. I see the old Dremel jigsaw on the workbench, Mine is the most important tool in the workshop.

Thread: Model flying photos you're proud of
11/04/2017 05:32:28

mad models electric flying 056.jpgWhen you read the books on the Spitfire test flights you will read some great stories about the inverted flight with Spitfires. Alex Henshaw once did an inverted pass at lamp post hight down the main road in Birmingham and was not sure why the mayor was not impressed. My son decided to see if the Spifire could fly inverted, this is a Mick Reeves 1/6 scale model.

mad models electric flying 040.jpg

11/04/2017 05:24:08

I Thought I must show you what the real meaning of a Dawn Patrol is. This was a early morning test session with a Brain Taylor P47 that I built as an electric. Flew very well after I figured out that I must warm the Lipo's before use as it was winter for us in Africa.p1010961.jpgp47 flying 009.jpg

Thread: Husky 108" kit/plan identification help!
29/03/2017 06:25:20

Looks like a Bud Nosen Citabria as they had a 3 piece wing and no doors in the fuselage. The cowl looks like a Super Cub, must have been an after market addition as the Bud Nosen kit had a built up balsa cowl

Thread: lipos in parallel
24/03/2017 13:46:04

I thought so too untill I ruined a new pack which was paired with an older one.

Thread: DB Apprentice
24/03/2017 13:44:38

Thanks, I think I must convert to elastics to mount the tail so I can use a packer under the trailing edge. Will try on the weekend

Thread: Cooltech RFA05 rx
24/03/2017 10:29:02

I have used a few of the receivers and had no issues with them. I found the case was very tight for the servo connectors to fit. have one of the receivers in a 80F/S stick and the other in an electric Tomboy.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
SHREK
Skip Model April
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
TJD Models
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
Q: How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?

5 to 10
 10+
 15+
 20+

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us