All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Hawker Typhoon

Hawker Typhoon

The plan build article from 2007 by Tony Nijhuis - 23/4/09

david goulding09/08/2007 18:59:00
19 forum posts
Hi there I have just been enjoying looking at the Typhoon photos and cant wait for the article and plans to appear.It is hard to get an idea of size from the photos but is there enouigh distance between the firewall as shown and the front of the cowl to get a four stroke in?
My building board has been cleared, except for my Wot 4 which went dead stick today and couldnt make it back to the strip.......
Regards David
PS going by the interest shown in this Typhoon I get the impression that balsa bashing is alive and well. Although I have only been aero modelling for the last three years I have built from two free plans, Peter Millers Tipsy Junior (03/2005) and Mike Keays Basic 3D (03/2006) which is a great flyer. Cheers.
David Ashby - RCME10/08/2007 08:25:00
10760 forum posts
1605 photos
606 articles
Hi David - Tony is away on his hols at the moment so we'll know more when he returns, stay tuned.

David.
Tony Nijhuis13/08/2007 16:14:00
479 forum posts
172 photos
Hi David,
The cowl depth is about 5" (120mm) deep so a 61 4-stroke with some church roof will rattle around in there no problem.

Tony
Bob Waring15/08/2007 13:27:00
1 forum posts
Hi Tony,

Your Typhoon is, as we have come to expect, looking very good and destined to be my next project.

Can you tell me will there be a balsa pack decals etc,and if so how soon, how much and when can I get one?

Regards,

Bob.
Tony Nijhuis16/08/2007 15:59:00
479 forum posts
172 photos
Bob,
The Typhoon is destined for the RCM&E special which is due out mid September and yes there will be a cnc pack, canopy, cowl. As to the price well that down to RCM&E. I'm hoping to have the model and a few plan packs availiable at the Southern Model Show, September, in the SLEC tent.

Hope to see you there

Tony
Redmorph18/08/2007 23:09:00
18 forum posts
Hi there,
I have just finished putting a weston Groove together and i am looking forward to getting on with a bit of proper balsa bashing again (ARTF's arnt realy my thing). I had a few ideas for the next project but having viewed the pics for your Typhoon my mind is set that it will be on the board as soon as i get the plan. No doubt it will be up to the usual standard. keep up the good work
Keith Lewis30/09/2007 16:29:00
1 forum posts

Hello Tony,

The Typhoon in the Autmn special looks terrific.

I am quite a novice at building and this will be my first attempt at building from a plan pack. Could you tell me if the plans with the pack show the fusealage full length please? I am a bit concerned at making a straight fuselage with virtually building in two halves, do you have any advice please? The panel lines on the finished model are really striking, can you tell me how to produce these please.

Many thanks,

Keith Lewis     

Martin McIntosh30/09/2007 18:07:00
2042 forum posts
857 photos
Kieth, building from a split plan is very easy if you just carbon trace the essential components of the rear end on to plain paper and Sellotape the two together at the join line. MM.
Ian Jones30/09/2007 23:49:00
3101 forum posts
1369 photos

How long will the CNC pack be available for?

As much as I want to get this build started (delayed by no other reason than to clear some working space) it will be some months before I can even find space to store the wood pack never mind work on it.

A desperate situation I know so some scheduling will be necessary.

David Ashby - RCME01/10/2007 11:30:00
10760 forum posts
1605 photos
606 articles

For a good few years yet I would think Ian.

David.

Ian Jones01/10/2007 12:42:00
3101 forum posts
1369 photos

Ah! that's good, that means I can get last year's spit finished without rushing too much then move on to the Typhoon.

Thanks very much.

Adrian Moss02/10/2007 12:49:00
3 forum posts

Today i tried to purchase the CNC plan pack over the phone and was told what ever i do, dont strat cutting anything out as the plan is the wrong size so the CNC pack wont be available for some time.

Are they going to produce a new CNC plan pack or do a new plan and when can we expect to make a start.

Cheers

Adrian

David Ashby - RCME02/10/2007 13:22:00
10760 forum posts
1605 photos
606 articles

Yes sorry Adrian, It's an error we've only just becdome aware of, many apologies.

David.  

Tony Nijhuis02/10/2007 14:06:00
479 forum posts
172 photos

Guys, Just to clarify the situation as I understand it from RCM&E, the plan has been undersize by 10% (if you measure the wing dihedral distance on the plan which states 65mm, it actually reads 57mm). New plans are being printed and will be sent out with the VAC formed moulds and CNC packs. The VAC formings and CNC pack are correct

I have been assured that RCM&E will be correcting the problem as soon as possible.

Regards Tony

Danny Fenton02/10/2007 18:10:00
8335 forum posts
3391 photos
Hi Tony the Typhoon looks great. Does this news imply that we will all be sent a new free plan of the correct size??
Tony Nijhuis03/10/2007 09:14:00
479 forum posts
172 photos

Danny, I believe there is talk about reprinting the plan and puting it in a future edition of RCM&E...I guess we will have to wait and see

Tony 

Danny Fenton03/10/2007 09:35:00
8335 forum posts
3391 photos
Thanks Tony, its a real shame that all your hard work and effort gets dented by a printing blunder, especially as this is not the first time its happened! I bet you are a bit fed up. Anyway I will add it to my ever growing list of models I must one day build, if only the Hurricane had won LOL
David Ovenden05/10/2007 04:18:00
214 forum posts
3 photos
Oh dear, this is not good news! I live in France and have just gone to all the trouble of arranging for someone in the UK to get me the RCM&E Special so I have the Typhoon plan. Now it seems the plan is not correct? A revised plan in another RCM&E issue is not very helpful for me. Shouldn't new plans be posted out to those who bought the "Special" issue in all good faith?
Les Adams05/10/2007 16:51:00
16 forum posts

Hi Tony,

I'm sorry to be a pain but I bought the CNC pack, Vac formings and a set of plans from the SLEC tent at the Hop Farm show. Are these plans OK or do I need to talk to them about getting a new set?

Many thanks ...

Les

geoff dales05/10/2007 18:58:00
92 forum posts
2 photos

Danny, I believe there is talk about reprinting the plan and puting it in a future edition of RCM&E...I guess we will have to wait and see

As someone who only buys rcme now and again this is very disapointing and like having to pay for the plan twice if you do as you propose. i specifically bought the special for this plan. 

what about all the people that dont use this forum and start building ??????????? Is all their hard work going to go to waste???????????????

personally i think you should recall all mags and send out replacements for those that have already bought.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
SHREK
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
TJD Models
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us